Lord British's (creator of Ultima) new game - Shroud of the Avatar

So, the creator of the Ultima games/Ultima Online has unveiled his kickstarter for his new game: Shroud of the Avatar.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...aken-virtues-0

I nearly jizzed my pants when I saw this, but then realised it's not an MMO but a single player experience with multiplayer available. I was hoping for UO2.

After all these years and awful product after another I have no faith in him to deliver anything.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    After all these years and awful product after another I have no faith in him to deliver anything.
    I funded a little but like most people will be disappointed this isnt uo 2. It looks mildly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by nightshark View Post
    So, the creator of the Ultima games/Ultima Online has unveiled his kickstarter for his new game: Shroud of the Avatar.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...aken-virtues-0

I nearly jizzed my pants when I saw this, but then realised it's not an MMO but a single player experience with multiplayer available. I was hoping for UO2.
    He couldn't make UO2 anyways. I think EA still has the rights to the Ultima IP, so Garriot can't make anything that's specifically Ultima. He can use the Avatar though and make it a helluva lot similar : P

I'm curious as to what he's going to do with it though. He really hasn't done anything of note in a decade+ (Tabula Rasa was a bloody mess. Tons of potential, but a bloody mess), so I'm wondering how this is going to turn out.

Deleted
    I'm excited to be honest, I was reading about it yesterday, I'd be a lot more excited about UO2 but even though this isn't an MMO, it does have player housing in a persistent shared world which intrigues me... considering some of the original Ultimas were some of my favourite games when back 15 years ago, I may be tinged with nostalgia somewhat but I'm excited to see what he can deliver.

I do still live in hope for UO2 one day because I loved that game, but to be honest, I don't think it would be that successful in todays market.

Anyway, I'm backing this, second ever project I've backed on Kickstarter.

I wish Tabula Rasa was still alive instead of this. I loved that game D: But still, great news. Like this guy, so will probably try this out.

I have read about this some days ago. It is very interesting. I see it like skyrim with multiplayer option(with friends only) and in towns it becomes MMO, you see lot of players, you can trade with them, e.t.c.I also heard that you can run a shop in a town and sell your stuff. I have not played ultima and I don't know the man behind that game, but it sounds very interested I always thought about a type of game like "skyrim multiplayer" aka PVE "sandbox"(don't eat me for using the word sandbox, I mean a pve game with huge virtual world without handholding-linear type of gameplay, with lots of things to do, like building your house, run a shop of your own, e.t.c.)
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2013-03-11 at 11:47 AM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

UO, back in the days when it was just FEL. or when Tram was introduced. I was paying for it with my paper round money! Good times .

Hope this new game gets off the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Other than Tabula Rasa what are all these "awful products"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Other than Tabula Rasa what are all these "awful products"?
    When excluding UO, the projects where he was directly involved in past 11 years have been Tabula Rasa, didn't work out. Then there was Ultima VIII and IX which were games that have been credited for killing the single-player Ultima serie and for good reason.

Sure EA had their dirty fingers in there but both games had plenty of dev time and yet outcome was absolute rubbish. After that he hasn't been in creative lead of any game and simply worked as producer for other studios and their games.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Such a typical thing these days to describe their game in a weird way. It's not an MMO, not singleplayer, not MP ... Tabula Rasa was not THAT bad btw

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    He couldn't make UO2 anyways. I think EA still has the rights to the Ultima IP, so Garriot can't make anything that's specifically Ultima. He can use the Avatar though and make it a helluva lot similar : P
    Yeah, I meant more of a spiritual successor. I've kept up to date with news after LB was posting on stratics asking what should be in his game "New Britannia" regarding housing/PvP/PK etc. I thought all this time he was developing a new MMO, so I'm quite disappointed.

I will probably try out the game, as long as it doesn't completely bomb in reviews from friends and websites.

This needs to go MMO. If it was a UO2 I'd be in on it like a fat kid at a buffet.

God.. I grew up playing UO before anything else.. I don't see why he wouldnt want to take the reigns and turn it into a MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    I wish Tabula Rasa was still alive instead of this. I loved that game D: But still, great news. Like this guy, so will probably try this out.
    Same here.

That being said, I just pledged $500. I guess I'm just being nostalgic...I grew up playing all of the original DOS-based Ultima games, and continued the whole series as they were released. The guy really knows how to make a good RPG, and I'm really hoping this one pans out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Amg Lord British

Where is UO2