Thread: 4x Insanity

Deleted

4x Insanity

So with 10466 haste and stacking troll berseerking with power infusion I was able to get 4 full insanity flays in while DP up. Does this mean I clipped incorrectly or is this another hidden haste cap. Also once we have 10466 haste do we need to keep our previous ter 4piece intact or not?

Deleted
    Mind Flay doesn't add extra ticks like dots do, so it just shortens it's duration with no jump in duration at haste breakpoints. The haste cap would be when the duration is shorter than a GCD.

I think he meant that he was able to cast mind flay 4 times before DP ended, not that he managed to make it tick 4 times.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    I think he meant that he was able to cast mind flay 4 times before DP ended, not that he managed to make it tick 4 times.
    Yes, I know, hence it's duration doesn't increase at breakpoints it just gets shortened unlike dots which means the gcd is a cap

Deleted
    Yeah when flay is down to 1.7s or something I got 4 Insanities in, but mightve missed a clip in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jobbly View Post
    So with 10466 haste and stacking troll berseerking with power infusion I was able to get 4 full insanity flays in while DP up. Does this mean I clipped incorrectly or is this another hidden haste cap. Also once we have 10466 haste do we need to keep our previous ter 4piece intact or not?
    Yes, there are haste amounts at which you can fit additional Mind Flay ticks into Insanity. No, I don't know what they are offhand. They're less "rigid" than our usual DoT points, in that they will be effected by latency and interruptions (movement), and thus fuzzed out a bit.

Edit: Upon further consideration, Mind Flay should scale down with haste at exactly the same rate as Devouring Plague's duration. Breakpoints should be the same as Devouring Plague's.

Mind Flay's base is 1 tick/sec for 3sec, Devouring Plague's is 1 tick/sec for 6sec. We should always get [DP Ticks + 1] Mind Flay ticks per insanity, assuming you "clip" right. Mind Flay does not clip with itself; if you cast Mind Flay during Mind Flay, it reapplies +1 tick, just like any other DoT, so you lose nothing but mana.

Edit again: My above approximation doesn't hold for levels of haste like the ones you described; you're butting up against GCD cap on your Devouring Plague cast. So you only get [DP Ticks] Mind Flay ticks per insanity above +50% haste. This will drop to [DP ticks -1] at +200% haste. Not a huge effect, but I thought I would note it.
    Last edited by espoire; 2013-03-10 at 06:22 AM.

Aren't inteactions with the MB CD more interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Aren't inteactions with the MB CD more interesting?
    Skip casting MB during MF:I

Quote Originally Posted by eErike View Post
    Skip casting MB during MF:I
    Sure, but that means the effective CD of every MB after a DP depends on your haste as you will always want to refresh MF:I just before DP ends.

Deleted
    No matter what your haste is, if you cast DP immediately after getting your 3rd orb, you should never run into problems with casting MF:I whilst MB comes of cooldown. DP dot lasts a MAX of just under 6.5 seconds (just after a breakpoint). MB is an 8 second cooldown. The two instances should never collide.

They do for me. You can extend MF:I just before DP expires.

There are points of haste where the length of DP and the length of your MF do conflict, especially if you are extending them out to their full potential. Also... like I mentioned earlier. If you take insanity and DI, you will sometimes get procs while you are channeling mfi.

Let say I just casted my 3rd mb. VT, SWP have less than one tick and halo just came off CD.
    Do I:
    1) refresh vt nad swp, cast halo, cast DP, mind flay: Insanity once and cast MB and back to insanity
    2) refresh vt nad swp, cast halo, cast DP, mind flay: Insanity until DP runs out then MB
    3) delay my 3rb mb until I cast halo,vt,swp mind flay until dp runs out
    4) cast dp, mind flay until dp runs out, refresh dots and cast halo

1) results in wasted MF:I time
    2&3) results in delayed MB
    4) results in period with no dots

Deleted
    Let say I just casted my 3rd mb. VT, SWP have less than one tick and halo just came off CD.
    Do I:

Well this occurence should never happen. Instead of the MF leading into the 3rd MB you should have relayed both SWP and VT.
    So go back in time and:
    SWP-VT-3rdMB-MFI-MFI-MFI(1)-MFI-MB-Halo-continue...