Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

do rogues have dead GCDs?

Do rogues have dead global cooldowns? Which means do they have a lot of moments where there is nothing to press? I like classes where there is almost everytime something to press like monks or hunters.

Thanks in advance

Yes. Especially as Assassination - you're waiting approximately half the time as that spec.

Yes. But that has always been the case with us as our ability use is determined by our energy, which is not unlimited.

But if you are looking for a melee class that has something to press every GCD, I would definitely suggest death knight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post
    Yes. But that has always been the case with us as our ability use is determined by our energy, which is not unlimited.

But if you are looking for a melee class that has something to press every GCD, I would definitely suggest death knight.
    Yeah i mained a DK in cata. But i find that buttonsmashing extremely boring. I'm currently playing a monk and I'm loving it!! Always something to press. Was just wondering if i should lvl my rogue 85-->90

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post

Enhancement shaman are also good if you like to be pressing buttons
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

Enhancement shaman have a fair bit of downtime (not as much as rogues or feral druids, but more than dks or monks). They haven't used every gcd since wrath.

I'm never not pressing 2 for Mut or SS. Granted it isn't actually performing said task each time I press it (see Energy), but it certainly can't be said that we have any time where there is nothing to press

Deleted
    Honestly I can't play without spamming A and D, but the dead-gcd time really get lower the higher your gear is, in Assa - but Combat is the spec to go if you want to get spammy, especially now as they are introducing .5s gcd.

Quote Originally Posted by Effbee View Post
    I'm never not pressing 2 for Mut or SS. Granted it isn't actually performing said task each time I press it (see Energy), but it certainly can't be said that we have any time where there is nothing to press
    If you're not waiting on energy before you're using envenom then you're doing it wrong.

Deleted
    If you're not waiting on energy before you're using envenom then you're doing it wrong. deffently yes

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    Do rogues have dead global cooldowns? Which means do they have a lot of moments where there is nothing to press? I like classes where there is almost everytime something to press like monks or hunters.

Thanks in advance
    Yes, Rogues have "dead GCDs". The real question would be "Is that a problem?"
    No. No it's not.
    It may be if you play PvP, but in a PvE environment, Rogues have been balanced around occasionally (or always if you're Assassination) pooling energy in order to get a ton of damage out for the next 5-20 seconds.
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

I imagine Combat with Rune (SO MUCH HASTE) and 4pc will have very few empty globals. I'm not looking forward to swapping, but I got a fist weapon this week. Luckily Assassination appears to be slightly better for me even with a shittier weapon until 4pc.

The problem with the haste procs isn't that you have your globals full, it's that you are wasting energy because of it. If combat was instead designed without AR and you could get a haste amount such that you were nearly global locked, that would be interesting and more similar to other classes- but instead combat has phases of energy starvation where you have to wait, with other phases where you are global locked for long periods.

Rogues have energy as a resource, which means that we do have spare globals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp The Fish View Post
    Yes, Rogues have "dead GCDs". The real question would be "Is that a problem?"
    No. No it's not.
    It may be if you play PvP, but in a PvE environment, Rogues have been balanced around occasionally (or always if you're Assassination) pooling energy in order to get a ton of damage out for the next 5-20 seconds.
    It can be a problem for people who find that playstyle boring

Then go play Warrior or Monk. I'd rather have my class where I have spare globals and energy problems than play a class where "You're not maximized if you aren't using every global".
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

GCDs are not the rogue resource. Energy is. It's not a problem.

Deleted
    Assa is the best spec to play SimCity 5 and raid while doing pretty nice dps AT THE SAME TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by Iracor View Post
    If you're not waiting on energy before you're using envenom then you're doing it wrong.
    Just to clear up a bit of misinformation that seems to circulate around the forums: there is no inherent benefit to pooling. Pooling to 85 energy (or any other amount short of cap) before you Mutilate is 100% equivalent to Mutilating the second you have enough energy for the move. There is no magic level of energy that you want to always pool to.

The advantage of pooling is and always has been that it allows you to adjust the timing on your moves to be more advantageous. The benefit is entirely in terms of increasing Envenom uptime by spacing them out more, spending more energy while you have cooldowns or other buffs up, minimizing rupture downtime, and so on.

Hence, advise like "if your previous envenom has not dropped wait until it does or until your energy is in danger of capping before casting the next one" will increase DPS. Advice like "go into Shadow Blades/Vendetta with high (but uncapped) energy" will increase your DPS. Advice like "try to have enough energy that you will be able to cast two Mutilates during the buff before casting Envenom" will increase your DPS. But any recommendation of the form "always pool to X energy before casting Y" is going to be wrong.

I will also note, for the record, that there is nothing you can do to optimize your cycle that will increase your DPS by 10k unless you were doing things wrong to start with. That is: while the generally recommended cycle on these forums may not be perfect, its provably not 10k worse than perfect. If you're seeing a 10k improvement purely through cycle adjustments you've made, one of two things is happening:
    1) RNG
    2) You're better at playing your "new" cycle than you were the old one, such that you're letting energy/CP cap less, wasting less energy/CP, etc.
    Quoting Aldriana from Elitist Jerks forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    GCDs are not the rogue resource. Energy is. It's not a problem.
    Indeed, although end of expansion combat can argue with that statement hehe. In fact for rogues so called "dead gcds" serve actually as preplaning for further actions. As someone mentioned before pulling energy to dump it during envenom buff will improve dps, lining SD with ICD procs, maximazing vanish for garote/expose weakness etc. all serves a purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom51 View Post
    Yes. Especially as Assassination - you're waiting approximately half the time as that spec.
    Sub and Combat aren't as bad. But Assassination is dead in the water 60%~ of the time i feel. Very boring spec and the only fun that comes out of it is min-maxing Envenom uptime.
    Want Rogue Gameplay? Subtlety/Assassination Guides? 2v2 3v3 and 1v1 strategies?

http://www.youtube.com/user/SusejFTW

Also SCP Containment Breach, Guild Wars 2, and Diablo 3!