Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Extreme weight loss advice.

Ok so if any of you ever wonder the off-topic/fitness forums, then you have probably seen my posts or threads.

For those of you who don't know, I am one of the heavier members of MMO-C, I have struggled with my weight ever since 6th grade (currently a sophomore in college) and I really do put effort into losing weight. I want to lose weight so that maybe one day I can help someone else lose weight or get on track.

I am 5'7 white, 21 years old and weigh about 375 pounds. I "try" to go to the gym everyday, though most of the time I get sidetracked with school or social life issues. I really don't play games anymore (this is why I gained all the weight I did, paired with eating out) and I try to keep myself pretty busy. Based off what I have told you, what advice could you give me?

Here are some things I am doing or will be doing very shortly (in the next couple of days):

-Gym every single day (1-2 hours, 85% time spent doing cardio)
    -No sugary drinks (water pretty much)
    -Portion control (eating when I have to, not when I want to)

What are some other tips? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My diet includes everything that isn't healthy. Like even basic healthy thing I won't eat, not cause I'm a dumbass but rather because I'd throw up or starve to death if I was forced to eat them. Any kind of vegetables I won't eat, salads, fruits, etc. When I diet I do portion control and calorie counting. That is it.
    Last edited by Xl House lX; 2013-03-12 at 10:00 PM.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the other threads, lots like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Xl House lX View Post
    My diet includes everything that isn't healthy. Like even basic healthy thing I won't eat, not cause I'm a dumbass but rather because I'd throw up or starve to death if I was forced to eat them. Any kind of vegetables I won't eat, salads, fruits, etc. When I diet I do portion control and calorie counting. That is it.
    You're going to have to learn to eat like an adult. Adults don't look at everything green and say, "yuckie, I'm not eating it!!!!".

Failing that, you're going to have a bitch of a time, since the foods with the highest satiety/calorie are almost exclusively things that are green and fibrous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    You're going to have to learn to eat like an adult. Adults don't look at everything green and say, "yuckie, I'm not eating it!!!!".

Failing that, you're going to have a bitch of a time, since the foods with the highest satiety/calorie are almost exclusively things that are green and fibrous.
    These, i would also recommend to start trying more healthy foods, you may find something you like and add that to your diet

Quote Originally Posted by Wiizper View Post
    Read the other threads, lots like this one.
    Yes, he can go there for additional advice and trends, but I told him to make this thread for some specific advice to help him.

-----

So. House. You have a lot of work to do. I'll start out with this: blah blah blah if you don't want this change then it's not going to happen. And you are going to have to do some things you're uncomfortable with. That's that.

Next, your gym deal. What kind of cardio are you doing? Since you're at a gym you should really take the opportunity to use some of their weight machines and work out your muscles. And uhhh. Just because you go to the gym doesn't mean you'll lose weight. Exercising to lose weight means NOTHING if your diet doesn't follow. Trust me, finding time to go to the gym or even work out is hard. I have equipment in my house and I rarely find time. That's why what you eat is so important.

So about this diet. You will lose weight if you do a calorie deficit, but it's just not realistic that you'll lose weight efficiently if you decide you can eat whatever you want by that rule. It's a MILLION times easier if you completely change the foods you eat. Seriously.

First of all, in a diet you really shouldn't be eating/drinking anything high in salt or sugar (same reason you NEVER drink soda), and if you do that then you can just judge what you can eat by calories (not to mention it's healthier) instead of using some other "counting" system which has to factor in those other things. Next, realistically you'll lose more weight, and faster, and EASIER if you eat healthier foods. Much easier because you get full with less "counts" and you can even splurge some days.

That portion control thing is bullshit to me unless it's like during a summer break where I'm just a bum all day. I don't know about you, but if I'm hungry and it's a work/school day and I have stuff to do I'll eat a snack even though I shouldn't. But it's okay since everything I eat is healthy and it's not going to hurt me to eat the snack.

And uhhh a last note. No one is forcing you to eat vegetables or apples or anything like that. You can eat whatever snack you want as long as it's relatively healthy. Next part you might not like, but every single "meal" of yours MUST be home cooked.

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 08:19 PM ----------

Ehhh I might as well do this for you too House. I'm not trying to insult you, but to motivate you. I used a calculator to get your BMI.

It's 58.7. Anything below 25 is normal. Anything above 30 is "obese." You're almost double the obese tolerance. You're in the youth of your life, if you want to change, you better do it soon.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2013-03-13 at 12:19 AM.

Deleted
    EDIT: My diet includes everything that isn't healthy. Like even basic healthy thing I won't eat, not cause I'm a dumbass but rather because I'd throw up or starve to death if I was forced to eat them. Any kind of vegetables I won't eat, salads, fruits, etc. When I diet I do portion control and calorie counting. That is it.

Do more weights, balance it out with cardio for best effect.

Your attitude to food needs to change, healthy food is not bland, boring or horrible. Learn to make decent things and you'll find they are far more tasty and filling than fatty, processed crap.

If you wont each vegetables, fruit etc, then you are storing up massive health problems in your future. Which no amount of excercise will solve.

Here are some things I am doing or will be doing very shortly (in the next couple of days):

-Gym every single day (1-2 hours, 85% time spent doing cardio)
    -No sugary drinks (water pretty much)
    -Portion control (eating when I have to, not when I want to)

What are some other tips? Thanks in advance!

Ok, First Fix your diet make sure you get your macros in that means VEGGIES too, Just make sure each meal consist of something healthy you like eg. Steak a side of carbs like brown rice and broccoli and carrots(Its the easiest veggies to start with if you didn't like them.) But make sure you meet your daily macros of proteins fiber and fats.

Now for your listed "activities" at the gym I have no idea what kind of cardio your doing since you just list 1-2 hours cardio it could be just walking or running I have no idea but the general rule is keep heart rate at 160 or 80% of your max most males do a 226-(age) and 220 for females, also since you listed 85% of gym types is cardio I assume your doing cardio before weights ? If so DON'T ! I cant stress this enough for beginners for 2 reasons doing extended cardio beyond warming up for weights depletes your glycogen so your not lifting as much or as long since you have no energy left.

Finally based on your gym breakdown of 85% cardio then 15% weight ? your not lifting properly.... if your trip is 2 hours and 85% of that is cardio you only lift weights for 18 mins, I have no idea how you would call that weights my sessions are around 1.5-2 hours of just weights.

Here's some advice and its up all you to fallow or not, Add additional gym trips eg. Wake up hit the gym for an 1-1.5 hours of cardio BEFORE breakfast (since you have school/social life) then hit the gym later that day or evening and do 10-15 mins cardio to warm up so you wont hurt yourself lift with the golden rule 3-4 sets 10-12 reps per set if you can do more then 12 reps add more weight, the reason you want to do cardio in the morning before breakfast is the body has nothing aside from the glycogen to use, weights later in the day gives you time to recover from cardio and be fresh to do weights.

Last piece of advice if you really want to change your life style and lose weight then its DO or DON'T there is no middle, this means no skipping days(rest days are cardio days!) and have realistic goals ideally 1-2 pounds of FAT loss per week is perfect and healthy.

"Extreme weight loss" is unhealthy and dangerous as your essentially starving yourself and having your body eat it self AKA being anorexic in addition to that you would have flaps of loose skin and folds. IF you lose weight in a healthy way your skin will tighten up gradually as you lose weight.
    Last edited by Souichirou; 2013-03-13 at 08:22 AM.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You can and should have rest days, though :P

I have rest-days every now and then and yet I've quite easily shed 15kgs since January, though my starting weight wasnt as high as yours (only 297 lbs, now 265).

People have already given you good advice here but let me emphasize some points:

- You can and should add a bit more weight-lifting. Even doing more weight-lifting than cardio on one of your training days should make a difference. Lifting dem weights will activate and grow your muscles more than just doing cardio which in return will make burning calories/fat during cardio more efficient as the bigger/more active your muscles are the more they'll burn.

- Dont just do 1 form of cardio when you are at the gym. For example I do 15 minutes on the exercise bike, then 15-20 minutes on a cross-trainer or the running-mat and after that 15 minutes of rowing machine.

- The heart-rate of 160 or higher seems kind of high for burning fat to me. AFAIK (I could be mistaken!) the most "ideal" heart-rate is around 120-140 or so if you're just trying to burn fat. Exercising at higher heart-rates will increase your stamina and endurance but burn less fat.

- Dont be a baby with all that "I wont eat vegetables"-crap. I'm not a fan of veggies either but if you learn how to season them they actually taste good. For example one of my favourites is some thai-veggies with some chicken mixed with a wee bit of soy + sweet chili sauce. Be careful not to put in too much sauce, though! Healthy stuff doesnt have to taste like crap. Start out with easy-to-eat things like tomatoes, carrots or cucumbers as you can just eat them as they are or as a snack. Same goes for fruits such as oranges, mandarines or apples.

If you have trouble letting go of stuff like soda... Try some carbonated water. It's cheaper than sodas and most of them actually have stuff like magnesium and calcium added in which are both good for you. Though most also have natrium (salt, basically) in them so if you do drink a lot of it make sure not to add too much salt in your food! This helped me to let go of sodas and since it's basically water it's good for you as you kind of should drink like 2-3L of water a day or so.

Oh, and remember to have 1 day where you can eat more freely (like a pizza for example). Though still count the calories a bit so you dont eat too much! If you just tough it out all day every day you'll go crazy in the long run :P

Exercise is irrelevant if you are still stuffing absurd amounts of food into your face every day. Are you weighing and measuring EVERYTHING you consume and recording accurate calorie intake for it?

Quite frankly I wouldn't even bother with exercise at all until you can get your diet situated and get down to under 300 lbs. If you can't eat any vegetables without wanting to puke you need to grow up. It's kinda sad to be 21 years old and completely lack the mental maturity to take care of yourself. At least you are asking for some help, but you have to actually help yourself in the process.

Well your body is going to hate you for not diversifying your food sources later in life, but you can lose weight on unhealthy food if you don't eat much of it.

Seriously though, you're going to have to eventually start eating healthy food if you want to not have heart or other organ issues in your 40's. It's about making a lifestyle change, not just a goal to lose weight. The latter is temporary and will most likely fail in the long run once you feel "comfortable" again.

Have to tear down something to build something new, you'll need to start with your diet. There's a very wide variety of fruits, vegetables and other healthy things that can also be cooked many different ways. Can also use different herbs and spices to help. Try experimenting!

You could also try a juicer.

Quote Originally Posted by MC ALPACA FLAYME View Post
    Well your body is going to hate you for not diversifying your food sources later in life, but you can lose weight on unhealthy food if you don't eat much of it.
    Even putting aside health, losing weight that way is hard. You don't get a very big portion of fried chicken if you're counting calories. You're going to be very, very hungry. If you get accustomed to brussel sprouts, kale, broccoli, cabbage and such, you can lose weight without ever really be all that hungry.

Deleted
    Stick with your routine, don't give up! Weight loss at 375 pounds isn't gonna come easy (unless gastic bypass surgery).

You don't need veggies to drop weight, you need good portion control, so stick with that. More meat (protein) and less carbs (things that go with meat generally) in your diet combined with lots of water will take you a long way.

Chicken or Tuna both give a good fullness effect and don't carry loads of calories.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2013-03-14 at 12:11 AM.

Let's take this one step at a time.You don't need vegetables to -lose weight-.

You need portion control, but only to an extent. You don't have to be hungry if you eat healthily. Healthy food doesn't mean a plate full of vegetables and that's that, it just means you're conscious of what you put in your body. And that means ABSOLUTELY no fast food, or restaurant food for the most part.

This isn't some diet you're gonna stick to for a month and see results, this is a lifestyle change.

You need consistency, not burst. At 375 your looking at a few years. You dont have to do a ton each day, but you do have to it everyday. Everyday you miss is 3 in progress. Unless your on your death bed you have to do your consistent workout. Start slow, dont kill yourself and desire when you only see a few pounds come off in the beginning (the muscle you convert from fat weighs more, dont take it bad when your feeling better). It takes time to lose weight, just stick with it, its something that pays off over time.

Adjust your eating habits, dont change them. Going cold turkey on stuff that tastes good never works out.
    Last edited by chadwix; 2013-03-14 at 03:10 AM.

Sorry, i don't wanna sound like a jerk, but mirror time:
    You know that vegatables are better for you then the crap you eat now. You say you wanna loose weight, so you are not happy with yourself. But you rather die, then doing something that could help you make you feel better about yourself. So about that dumbass, *fill in the blanks*.

Again, sorry for being straight to the point, which might offend you, but let's go to some actual advise.
    Let me start off by saying, whatever you do and whatever happends, you might have setbacks and that doesn't matter. But to try and prevent it, build in rest days. 1 day a week, where you within limits, can play a sinner

You say you try to go to the gym everyday and while we all understand you some thing do come up, you have to set your priorities. School, really important, loosing weight important, hanging with the guys... i could delay that an hour to work out a bit at home, go for a run in the neighbourhood, get some small weights at home, etc. You could even go to sleep an hour early, to get up earlier and work out a bit in the morning. Creat a pattern, stick to it and it will get easier. It's all about discipline. When you want it, you can make it work.

And for food, again, creat a pattern, eat at regular times, so your body gets used to it. This way it stores less resources, so too speak. Try to snack as least as possible and when you do, as healthy as possible. And please, eating on numbers.. that's never good for your mind. That way your are obsessive with food and that's what we don't want. Just start experimenting with some recipes online. I really love Jamie Olivier's cooking, because mostly it's faily simple, not the 15 minutes he states, but if you get around in the kitchen, it'll work out. I find most of his recipes delicious, it's healthy and it's mainly with fresh products. Whatever you do, start out with some dishes where the vegatables are in the sauce or the meal itself. Because then you have most flavour overruling the vegatable.

But to be honest, i don't really think all this is the problem.
    The question is: How bad do you want it?
    How far are you willing to go? And how many sacrifices are you willing too make?
    If you really want this, you have to do this now. For 100%. It takes a lot of discipline and only you can make it work.
    You can't cruise on this with 50% and hoping it will be enough.

You can't come here and expect an easy way out, if you yourself are not willing too give it all.
    But if you rather die, the make yourself happier.. At least i know i tried.

10+ Year Old Account
    dude go buy boneless skinless chicken breast in quantity, slice them in half, marinate them in balsamic vinegar and store them in portions of 2 in ziploc baggies in ur freezer. Buy a huge bag of mixed veggies and some brown rice/whole wheat pasta. Wake up every morning and have a fruit smoothie with fat free milk or buy the slim fast shake mix and have that with lowfat milk for breakfast. Then eat a tuna sandwich on whole wheat for lunch and then for dinner have the chicken and veggies and brown rice/pasta. Season it with whatever spices u want except salt and ur good to go. Doing that and only drinking water/flavored water for the last month has made me lose 15lbs and I havent exercised once. Im going to start exercising soon tho once i get a membership to a gym thats a little closer to my new house(my old gym is like 25mins away and i dont feel like driving there and back all the time). Good luck

Try this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...#post553453753

It's about the most stripped down "do this, eat this" kinda advice you'll find. Apart from the bit about "eat a decent variety of fruits and veggies" the rest you should be able to follow. If you ARE completely controlling calories and are DEFINITELY on top of that (be anal about keeping a food log for ONE WEEK and I mean EVERYTHING you consume needs to be noted for calorie content) that bit of the guide could be replaced with "take a decent multi-vitamin" if you really don't have an intention of changing diet.

Daily exercise of 85% cardio doesn't really mean a lot.

To be honest it rather sounds like you are understating your food intake (controlling portion size again means nothing if it's 20 "portions" of calorie dense food a day) and overstating exercise. Some honesty with yourself might be a good place to start.

The diet thing really will have to change though. Excess calories especially of fatty or sugary food (which seems to be all you consume) will lead to either serious heart and circulation problems in the first case or diabetes in the second, neither of which are even fractionally fun to manage the rest of your life with.

Best of luck.

As far as taste etc goes - I tend not to be so keen on fruits/veg myself but if you give it chance you'll find your tastes change. E.g Coffee. Try doubling the amount of sugar you put in ONE coffee - notice how STUPIDLY over-sweet it tastes? On the next one half the normal - tastes kinda bitter right? Make your next 5 coffee's the half sugar version then make one with the old "normal" levels - tastes overly sweet now right? Taste is something that can be TOTALLY adjusted and overly processed food DOES taste like crap once you get used to well made "good" foods. You can taste the sugars, oils and grease and they do make the stomach churn.
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2013-03-14 at 06:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Deleted
    Something similar to the Atkins diet is supposedly really good for major weight loss.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMDuncan View Post
    Something similar to the Atkins diet is supposedly really good for major weight loss.
    I was about to say the same...Atkins is really the diet you can make...I have seen very old people losing with that diet more than 20kilos in short time...there is also the Duncan diet which is similar to atkins but atkins is easier and have the same effect..also don't need to go to the gym, in your situation is more possible to get an injure than to help yourself. Go for a walk, really..1 hour+ walk is only what you need along with the diet.

Also you didn't got weight because you play games, I play games too and didn't got weight...70% is about the food you eat and 30% is exercise, but by exercise I also mean you go for a 1 hour walk..I eat everything in small quantities and go for a walk every day..1 hour a day is not too much to offer to yourself a healthy life..just don't be lazy, always use the stairs instead of elevator..don't use your car too much, its all these little things that add to caliries burn.

Generaly, change your life..it doesn't need to do intensive things or go to the gym, just be on the move and do things rather than be lazy, bored, sitting at your house..
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.