New build advice

Budget - $1000 USD approx. Located in 95126 zipcode for shipping/tax purposes. Also have amazon prime account.
    Resolution - Current monitor is 1920 x 1200 Asus 24" (plan on getting 2nd identical, separate from budget)
    Games / Settings Desired - Wow on High for 25 mans, other games such as new simcity etc on high or better.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - Nothing intensive, mostly work stuff that is not particularly GPU/CPU intensive.
    Country - USA
    Parts that can be reused - peripherals and OS
    Do you need an OS? - NO
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? - NO.

Misc request - prefer ASUS mobo.

Thanks for any help!

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($52.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $963.88
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-14 20:39 EDT-0400)

This build will do well in what you have listed. Things to note: You can get the EVO at NCIX (to go along with the rest for free shipping) and the burner @Newegg for the same reason. You could drop the burner altogether if you wanted though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really have anything to add to the build he made. It's pretty much the 'go to' setup these days for a $1000 build, give or take. If you picked that up you'd be in pretty dang good shape.

You could, in theory, shave off about 20-30 and then change the SSD to a 240gb, if you want, and still squeeze under 1000.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Thanks for the quick response guys. Two questions: any reason for the Radeon over a comparable or better Nvidia? Also a recommendation for a good SSD mount? Thanks again!

10+ Year Old Account
    any reason for the Radeon over a comparable or better Nvidia?
    The 7870 XT beats out any nVidia card of a similar price. The only nVidia that even competes is the 660ti which is $70 and honestly not worth it.

EDIT: The 7870 XT is about equal to the 660ti in most games. The 660ti will likely do a -little- better on WoW specifically, but not $70 worth.

Also a recommendation for a good SSD mount? Thanks again!
    I just bought the cheapest $5 on newegg, honestly.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-03-15 at 01:28 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I would look and see if the SSD mounts to the drive cages in the case I listed for you. No reason to pay more when you dont have to

Edit: How fail. It does not.

Edit2: You could go with the Corsair 200R which would be the same price as the Source (after rebate) but supports 2.5" drives natively.
    Last edited by Idrinkwhiterussians; 2013-03-15 at 03:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Thanks Idrink, I think I prefer that Corsair anyway. Nice find. Appreciate it!

Deleted
    Velcro = best ssd mounting bracket, evar.

Video card says discontinued on Newegg as of right now... thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soultaster View Post
    Video card says discontinued on Newegg as of right now... thoughts?
    http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeo.../dp/B00AWKYB1M

powercolor makes a 7870xt for about the same price and it is available from other retailers. Though I don't know anything about the company, and have never heard of them before. Same chipset though. So while that means something, I have no idea how the quality is on the rest of the parts on the video card are.

Outside that, the main suggestion I'd consider is going with a bigger SSD. Granted it will depend on the number of games you are playing and/or are planning on playing. My rule of the thumb, 2mmo's and OS= go 256gb SSD. This leaves you room for future expansions. My current system 256gb SSD, 115gb taken with pagefile off (creating extra room), SWTOR, GW2, Assassins Creed 3, and Windows 8. Thus I have 2mmo's but realistically not enough room for expansions on both mmo's as well as DLC content for AC3 if I had a 120-128gb SSD.

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 11:05 PM ----------

says only 9 in stock but if NewEgg is discontinuing, it's probably a good bet that there isn't a ton of stock left anywhere and a lot might not be available for the future.

Thus if Soul is planning on buying quickly, I'd make a move on the card on Amazon quickly. If you are planning on waiting about a month, I'd consider looking towards other options.

Likely buying tomorrow on Monday. Thanks for the link chazus, definitely the one I wanted. Also thanks for the eye-opener with the SSD size anyaka, went ahead with the 256gb.

Have a great weekend all!