Deleted
    Reading all of this makes me so stoked to start playing WoW again. Should be getting internet on Monday! Cannot wait.

Not sure how far you are Tossy, but have you worked on HC Tortos yet?

That bat damage, at least coupled with Quake and Rockfall, is insane at times. Factor in whatever kind of "delay" is present when attacking the humming crystal for the shield, and it is a VERY frustrating fight for the bat tank. Many times last night I had all bats rounded up, focus-judged the crystal to start my shield only to get some collateral damage which set me below 550k, and the bats just sat at 80% the whole fight.

We ended up actually switching to me on boss, and BrM on bats, gathering them up and kiting them the whole damn fight. What's funny is, it damn near worked...rolling DoTs on the bats, we had all DPS pulling ~200k+ and were on pace to beat enrage, but ONE poorly placed rockfall/turtle wombo-combo can ruin our BrM's day.

Interested to see if you had any tips on bats if/when we go back to the "traditional" strat; I just can't seem to stay up if a bad rockfall RNG puts me behind in shields
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    What do you mean with bad rockfall RNG? Rockfalls are very predictable, unless something changed in heroic mode.

I solo tanked this in normal mode, but guessing that is not an option in heroic mode since the limit is 550k, not 350k. My health pool is only around 640k though with stamina flask and shit, so really, I have no idea how to handle only the bats. Keeping CDs up for the quake is a good guess.

Do not AoE stun the bats so that their swing timers reset, that hurts like a bitch. Get a swing timer addon and time in SotR where the most bats have their swings.

Rockfall seems ~50-100% more spawns after a quake in heroic. There was literally no safe area a few times that I could be in, and still be in melee range of the boss.

The bats themselves are not that bad, in terms of dmg, provided you can face them and have ShotR up. 5 bats hitting for ~40-50k per with ShotR up. The problem arises when dealing with the shield, which freezes your health at it's current %, and any healing received builds up a shield on you (up to 75% max HP). This is great for things like quake, but with poor/unlucky timing, you can get stuck at low % HP. Further, it is rough on the bat tank trying to stay above 550k sometimes. I have ~700k with flask/food, but there is a LOT of aoe dmg out from turtles, rockfall, quake and bats, which can then knock the shield off and you have to start over...basically just a really frustrating fight if/when you get behind.

It's easy to NOT get behind if you can keep up a CD so your shield doesnt run out until it's stacked up, but then you have no CD for quake (which hits for 100% max HP physical in heroic), and can get damn near 1shot by quake/bats combo by the time stun is out, esp with rockfalls pinning you in.

Like anything, it'll get better with gear, but it's doable now (obviously); just very low room for error/bad luck from a tank POV.
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    The boss hitbox is huge though. Doesnt the rockfalls spawn under people? That is atleast how it worked in normal. We just had people stacking up and moving as as a group. Maybe that would work for your melee? Everyone stacking up then moving as a team in a "circle", a.k.a. 2 rows, move close to the boss left to right, and then move behind that in a right to left but still in boss hitbox.

Yeah I assumed they did, but I've seen them also just spawn in random locations that nobody is inhabiting. Unless there's some huge delay in targeting/dropping them, maybe it's different? The journal isn't really clear. The problem with stacking up as a team is that with the increased health of all adds (bats and turtles), the turtles are alive far longer, and persistently knock up people (potentially into a rockfall location). Having people grouped up is just baiting trouble like this, and taking a lot of damage that is otherwise avoidable. I assume it will get easier as dps increases; we've even tried Hero on the first turtles to get 2 down and make the fight more manageable earlier, but we lost a lot of boss DPS that way. Your suggestion is sound, but we already struggle with getting turtles down fast enough to interrupt and get "ahead" (aka have them for debuffing), and consistently getting knocked up has really been a problem when stacked/moving together. At any rate, this only applies when trying to tank the bats traditionally.

When kiting the bats and letting DK/lock DoT's destroy them, we have GREAT rockfall placement mostly, with the kiter and chaser(s) baiting a lot at the outskirts of the room, and it removes a lot of the danger/mechanics of the crystals. The only issue here is a rogue turtle causing potential disaster for the kite tank.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    My guess would be that a majority of the rocks spawn on top of players, but also some spawn randomly. Maybe the rockfalls that happen outside of the quake are random and continue to fall randomly, and the rockfalls from quake all fall on players.

Only meant for your melee to stack up, or atleast everyone that is in the boss hitbox, so that you get the rockfalls clustered and predictable at the boss so that the tank does not get gibbed. What the ranged and healers do, does not really matter.

@Rogue turtle - Just got an image of a TMNT holding 2 daggers lol.

Yeah I'd say that's a fair guess. Honestly, we sit almost all melee on this fight, just because of how tight the time is to get a turtle dead before breath, and we can't afford to have melee unable to attack. We brought our DK and/or Rog a few times to play with dot/snare comps, but its pretty melee unfriendly.

The rogue turtle phenomenon is more like a shell in Mario Kart, TBH...just ruins your day

We started off with TMNT jokes, but after kiting bats for 3+ spawns (15 bats!)everyone's tidyplates was going nuts...it has now been dubbed "the batcave". TO THE BATCAVE!
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Not sure how far you are Tossy, but have you worked on HC Tortos yet?

That bat damage, at least coupled with Quake and Rockfall, is insane at times. Factor in whatever kind of "delay" is present when attacking the humming crystal for the shield, and it is a VERY frustrating fight for the bat tank. Many times last night I had all bats rounded up, focus-judged the crystal to start my shield only to get some collateral damage which set me below 550k, and the bats just sat at 80% the whole fight.

We ended up actually switching to me on boss, and BrM on bats, gathering them up and kiting them the whole damn fight. What's funny is, it damn near worked...rolling DoTs on the bats, we had all DPS pulling ~200k+ and were on pace to beat enrage, but ONE poorly placed rockfall/turtle wombo-combo can ruin our BrM's day.

Interested to see if you had any tips on bats if/when we go back to the "traditional" strat; I just can't seem to stay up if a bad rockfall RNG puts me behind in shields
    Yeah we tried tortos a bit tonight after horridon died... it's obviously the easiest fight in here. 40% after like 2-3 tries.
    I'm tanking the big guy and our brewmaster is kiting the bats.
    Keeping shield up can be tricky sometimes, but usually once you've got it up to max capacity it's all about still having your SotR up for the snapping bites, quake and refresh shield with WoG spam. Was playing around with eternal flame the few inital tries, since the 100% buff to the HoT component might actually do a good job keeping it up passively. Couldn't exactly tell how well it worked, and frankly it was easy enough to keep shield up with WoG.

That said, once in a while you have a pull where you never can seem to keep shield up because of RNG, but they're few and far between.
    Will probably drop battle healer glyph once we get a mistweaver in, because the healer aggro i'm doing to the bats is annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tossy View Post
    Keeping shield up can be tricky sometimes, but usually once you've got it up to max capacity it's all about still having your SotR up for the snapping bites, quake and refresh shield with WoG spam.
    Honestly, when my guild was progressing on HC Tortos last night I was using a Judgment macro so it was always hitting the crystal, therefore never losing a shield and if you do and judgment is on cooldown just run over and whack it, I found that's the easiest way to do it.

Deleted
    Yeah Sunflora, i have a judgment macro too but i'm pretty sure you can prevent a full capacity shield from ever dropping through just playing alright. At least on 10 man, dunno bout 25.
    btw if someone wants to see how you're NOT supposed to tank phase 2 of heroic horridon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGlAqAvXqyc
    Last edited by mmoc67b0b0a6e6; 2013-03-16 at 12:24 AM.

Was just reading through the guide and noticed that in Elixir section it doesn't mention http://www.wowhead.com/item=76078, so going to try the haste/armor one in combination, but was wondering if anyone tried it before and how it compared vs str flask.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by celinamuna View Post
    Was just reading through the guide and noticed that in Elixir section it doesn't mention http://www.wowhead.com/item=76078, so going to try the haste/armor one in combination, but was wondering if anyone tried it before and how it compared vs str flask.
    I was running it for the entire T14 on every fight. I have opted into stamina flask now in T15 since my item level is so far behind the norm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will add it when I get back from the shops, thanks for noticing
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Could have sworn I mentioned in like 40 pages ago or so. But merin never listens to me

Used to run with Rapids + Mantid/Prismatic before they nerfed prismatic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Could have sworn I mentioned in like 40 pages ago or so. But merin never listens to me

Used to run with Rapids + Mantid/Prismatic before they nerfed prismatic.
    I swear down that you're new to this thread. Nice to meet you.

You seem like a great person.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    I swear down that you're new to this thread. Nice to meet you.

You seem like a great person.
    Long time lurker! Just have not posted much before!

I am indeed a true gentleman!

Can't read through all 76 pages but I just need to know. Since Mastery/Haste are our best stats is it worth it to que lfr as a dps and switch to prot only on bosses that drop shields or trinkets?

Deleted
    Another question. Long time wow player here, playing prot warrior successfully aka all content cleared prior this tier. Rolling Pala tank most likely. Just leveling atm.

I read that Sacred Shield is almost mandatory. How do you use that basically, bit like warriors barrier? use it on others? As a filler? Before some magical dmg is coming? As I do not see it on "rotation" list, I would be glad to get answer, big TY in advance.

-Paisti-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paisti View Post
    Another question. Long time wow player here, playing prot warrior successfully aka all content cleared prior this tier. Rolling Pala tank most likely. Just leveling atm.

I read that Sacred Shield is almost mandatory. How do you use that basically, bit like warriors barrier? use it on others? As a filler? Before some magical dmg is coming? As I do not see it on "rotation" list, I would be glad to get answer, big TY in advance.

-Paisti-
    Keep it up on you as much as you can. You should have close to 100% uptime really whenever you are taking hits from the boss (the 30s buff, not the actual absorbs). It should be in your rotation - use it before the buff falls off, or use it when CS/J is on cooldown and no GC procs. Use some common sense too - don't need to refresh it if it still has 20 seconds remaining, but do start to try to fit it into your rotation if you have, say, 10 seconds remaining. "Try" because you still don't want to prioritize it over a HP generator.

During tank swaps, if you're not tanking, use it on the other tank instead. Or if a particular raid member is anticipating incoming large damage and you're not tanking, then put it on them. Remember that it takes 5 or so seconds before the first tick appears, so put it on you 5 or so seconds before you taunt back.