Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Last check before I order ($1400 gaming build)

Hello!

I would love some feedback on my build before I order. I can spend at most another $50-$100 if it's necessary. I have no interest in SLI and I won't do any extensive overclocking, at most I'd like to get the CPU up to ~4.2ghz so please keep that in mind.

I want a stable and low maintenance build with decent temperatures and long lifespan (ideally 3+ years).

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX
    HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Blue
    SSD: Samsung SSD Pro 840-Series 256GB
    CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3,4Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE LP
    Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2048MB DirectCUII
    PSU: Fractal Design Newton R3, 600W 80+ Platinum, Modular
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4
    Optical Drive: DVD±RW Samsung 24X DL

Appreciate any feedback!
    Last edited by funkhouser; 2013-03-16 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Changed SSD

TLC NAND endurance really isn't worth considering under most circumstances. Users who write 10 gigs per day can expect to get about 10 years out of a SSD utilizing TLC NAND before it's worn out, assuming other complications don't arise (which is more of a concern in my opinion).

I have decided to get the Samsung SSD Pro 840-Series 256GB instead. It's a bit more expensive but it comes with a 5 year warranty and excellent reviews so I reckon it's worth it.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by funkhouser; 2013-03-16 at 11:20 PM. Reason: typo

Deleted
    change HDD to a WD green.
    ssd, no reason to not get a MLC one. (OCZ vertex 4/crucial M4/corsair neutron for example)
    gpu, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162109. (same gpu/cooler saves $40 and galaxy is same level as asus for gpu's brand wise)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    change HDD to a WD green.
    ssd, no reason to not get a MLC one. (OCZ vertex 4/crucial M4/corsair neutron for example)
    gpu, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162109. (same gpu/cooler saves $40 and galaxy is same level as asus for gpu's brand wise)
    Thanks for your feedback! I'm getting a Samsung Pro 840 256GB instead which is with MLC.

What is the difference between WD Green and WD Caviar Blue?

Quote Originally Posted by Zergej View Post

green is low power (lower rpm sometimes) and good for storage (ie. youll be using your SSD not the HDD)
    blue is good for a HDD as your main drive. current usage
    black is for higher performance needed/faster seek times

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/librar...178-701024.pdf

[WD Caviar®Blue™
    With SATA and PATA interfaces, and cache sizes
    ranging from 2 MB to 16 MB, these drives offer a
    full range of performance features.

WD Caviar Green™
    These drives make it possible for energyconscious customers to build systems with
    higher capacitiesand the right balance of
    system performance,ensured reliability, and
    energy conservation.

WD Caviar Black™
    These high-performance SATA drives combine
    7200 RPM spin speed, up to 64 MB cache,
    SATA 3 Gb/s interface, and an integrated dual
    processor for lightning-fast performance in
    demanding desktop, workstation, and
    multi-drive systems.

WD Scorpio® Blue™
    With available SATA or PATA interfaces, these
    drives offer high-performance, low power
    consumption, and cool operation, perfect for
    notebooks and other portable devices.

WD Scorpio Black™
    Designed for top-of-the-line notebook
    computers, these high-performance drives
    deliver the capacity and speed needed
    to supercharge a notebook PC without
    compromising battery life or quiet acoustics]

Deleted
    Thanks for your feedback! I'm getting a Samsung Pro 840 256GB instead which is with MLC.

also makes less sound since it is a variable RPM drive. (whereas blue's run at the same high rpm all the time)
    speeds are pretty much equal. (WD green 100mb/s read and writes and blue is likely the same)
    also meh no fan of samsung ssd's but thats personal choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    TLC NAND endurance really isn't worth considering under most circumstances. Users who write 10 gigs per day can expect to get about 10 years out of a SSD utilizing TLC NAND before it's worn out, assuming other complications don't arise (which is more of a concern in my opinion).
    This is not only false, but also misleading.

There is no real world use limitation on TLC. I wish people would stop posting this junk.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Don't listen to any of them. The WD10EZEX blue is a single 1TB platter which means it's faster & very quiet due to that 1 platter being used. There's absolutely no reason to take a green drive over the WD10EZEX. This is just currently the only 1TB platter version from WD @ 7200rpm. Just go with WD10EZEX.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Don't listen to any of them. The WD10EZEX blue is a single 1TB platter which means it's faster & very quiet due to that 1 platter being used. There's absolutely no reason to take a green drive over the WD10EZEX. This is just currently the only 1TB platter version from WD @ 7200rpm. Just go with WD10EZEX.
    Thanks for your input, I will go for the Blue one

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I would probably skip the Fractal PSU. They are not made by the best manufacturer. Not saying they are terrible, I am just saying that you could get something a bit better for just a few $ more. I would instead go with:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($144.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $144.98
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 01:35 EDT-0400)

Edit: I should also mention that the SeaSonic is FULLY modular as compared to the partially modular Fractal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

Or just skip Platinum PSUs altogether. They don't really have a place in a $1,400 budget, it's money best spent elsewhere. Just get a reputable bronze unit such as:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151106

Save $70 and get yourself a better CPU cooler. That 212 evo is way out of place compared to the rest of your build.

Also, the selected motherboard is of very poor reliability. I'd definitely check out an Extreme4 from ASRock instead for the same price.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    care to explain that?
    last time i checked lowest rpm is the quieter drive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Looks good I just don't like the case I think Fractal cases look cheap and plain I would get a different PSU as well.

I would get a get a different cooler, maybe an all in one water cooler like the h801 or maybe even the h100i. You could save some cash on the psu and go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

As for the case, that's all personal opinion. For my new build I decided to go with something completely different that what I was used to. I got tired of just a plain black case and went with the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139014

Here's a build I put together with some of the changes I would make
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($88.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.49 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($386.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1376.36
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-17 07:55 EDT-0400)
    Last edited by jholdaway; 2013-03-17 at 11:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would you need a H80i if you're just going to 4.2 GHz?

Go for the Hyper212 instead.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    care to explain that?
    last time i checked lowest rpm is the quieter drive.
    There is only like 2-3 dBa between a 5400 rpm with a single 1TB platter and a Single 1tb platter 7200 rpm so it isn't worth it to get the green drive.

---------- Post added 2013-03-17 at 08:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

Also, the selected motherboard is of very poor reliability. I'd definitely check out an Extreme4 from ASRock instead for the same price.
    Why lol? Because it doesn't have heatsinks on the vrm so it gets hot?

If this board is meant for normal use or soft overclocks with Vcores around 1.20-1.25V this board will do its job more than fine so would the ASRock do.

There is only like 2-3 dBa between a 5400 rpm with a single 1TB platter and a Single 1tb platter 7200 rpm so it isn't worth it to get the green drive.
    3 dBa = 2x sound

103 dBa = 2 times bigger than 100 dBa (example, those disc are not 100 dBa =D )

But okay, the sound difference isn't THAT big because those disk are quiet but the cavier green is less power-consuming. If it is only for storage and not main os I would go for the green, but honestly I don't think they are so different

For your mobo, review on newegg seems to say that it have few problems but I don't think it's alarmous
    Last edited by Punisher; 2013-03-17 at 09:55 PM.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

A lot of great feedback, really appreciate it.

Unfortunately I'm not able to order from newegg, I just used it as it is in english so you could read about the components that I picked. I'm ordering from the swedish website www.inet.se. If you want to take a look and give some advice on a good PSU and motherboard from there that would be awesome since those two are the things I'm not 100% sure about right now.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    3 dBa = 2x sound

103 dBa = 2 times bigger than 100 dBa (example, those disc are not 100 dBa =D )

But okay, the sound difference isn't THAT big because those disk are quiet but the cavier green is less power-consuming. If it is only for storage and not main os I would go for the green, but honestly I don't think they are so different

For your mobo, review on newegg seems to say that it have few problems but I don't think it's alarmous
    10W vs 7.5W. 50x more power?