Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fistweaving or Disc?

Ok, so my favorite thing in this game and most other MMO's has always been healing. I used to love nothing more than playing my resto druid in Wrath, miss the Rejuv blanketing and not worrying about mana. Then in cata with the loss of tree form I nearly deleted him and couldn't stand the new healing style. I leveled a shammy and enjoyed them but now with the loss of totems they are not nearly as fun either. I played The secret world a lot this summer and loved the spam style healing there where you had no resource to manage, but rather combo points for 2 weapons, I fell in love with the Assault Rifle style of DPS healing.

Now OT I am looking for opinions on which of the "DPS" healers is more fun/ Better Monk or Disc priest? I have a lvl 45ish disc priest and I love playing him, but want to know if the monk is more fun or even better as I prefer melee dps? Any help or opinions are appreciated.

Deleted
    You are asking a community of players who (more and less) clearly prefer to play priests if a monk is better/more fun than a priest?
    Not sure how self explanatory the answer would be there.

From a utility point of view I think most progressing guilds would prefer a disc, though monks have a few nifty tricks as well (revitalize hello), but the absorbs and dps utility a disc brings is still higher than a monks dps utility, not only due to pure numbers, but also due to the "being in melee" factor that a monk is tied to.

If you prefer melee dps and want to heal, well, you should probably play a monk. Is it more fun than a disc? I really wouldn't know if you find it more fun than a disc, I personally prefer playing a disc any day. (ps as a former resto druid Vanilla >> MoP I could point out that a disc can jump and run around more freely than a monk due to instant spells such as pom, holy fire/solace, glyphed penance, shields etc. So if you enjoyed blanketing a raid with a spell while being able to jump + enjoy the ability of being able to dps whilst doing so, I can recommend playing a disc, I've loved it).

Quote Originally Posted by Tenaru View Post
    You are asking a community of players who (more and less) clearly prefer to play priests if a monk is better/more fun than a priest?
    Not sure how self explanatory the answer would be there.

From a utility point of view I think most progressing guilds would prefer a disc, though monks have a few nifty tricks as well (revitalize hello), but the absorbs and dps utility a disc brings is still higher than a monks dps utility, not only due to pure numbers, but also due to the "being in melee" factor that a monk is tied to.

If you prefer melee dps and want to heal, well, you should probably play a monk. Is it more fun than a disc? I really wouldn't know if you find it more fun than a disc, I personally prefer playing a disc any day. (ps as a former resto druid Vanilla >> MoP I could point out that a disc can jump and run around more freely than a monk due to instant spells such as pom, holy fire/solace, glyphed penance, shields etc. So if you enjoyed blanketing a raid with a spell while being able to jump + enjoy the ability of being able to dps whilst doing so, I can recommend playing a disc, I've loved it).
    Thanks for reply, I realize this wasn't the most optimal place to place the thread, and thought of doing same on Monk forum. But thought i may get in trouble for doing it. I just didn't know where exactly to put this question. Kinda figured most people on MMO-C were like me and just hop on the site and see what is in the recent posts/ Threads section on the top right of the page.

I loved nothing more than running around mindlessly spamming rejuv on people and topping meters. If disc has this ability then please tell me more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, as a priest, I can tell you that it is my opinion that fistweaving looks far more entertaining than Atonement discipline play. But...the pretty wings. <3
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

For me the choice is melee vs. ranged play. I have both a MW monk and a healing priest. I much prefer the priest for the fact that I'm not a big fan of melee, especially when healing. And now, given the changes to monk, while it may not be optimal (and I'm not a hardcore cutting edge player anyhow, so doesn't _really_ matter), I don't fistweave anymore. I just mistweave when I do choose to play w/ my monkey. =D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    I loved nothing more than running around mindlessly spamming rejuv on people and topping meters. If disc has this ability then please tell me more.
    Mindlessly, pretty much 50% of the time. You target the boss, smite, jump around whilst solacing, penancing and shielding for rapture, serves the same as Reju spamming for me really.

Topping meters? Hi Spirit Shell + PWS blanketing (maybe not quite blanketing nonstop with Shields but nevertheless) with Archangel.

Bare in mind this is purely from a 25m normal PoV, I'm hoping heroics aren't quite as mindnumbing. And if you want to pad WoL it might not be quite as mindless, but you'll still be topping your raids meters more than often purely through atonement and the occasional SS.

Biggest (and clearly the most important) point being: You get to jump around whilst healing when not applying SS

Quote Originally Posted by Tenaru View Post
    Mindlessly, pretty much 50% of the time. You target the boss, smite, jump around whilst solacing, penancing and shielding for rapture, serves the same as Reju spamming for me really.

Topping meters? Hi Spirit Shell + PWS blanketing (maybe not quite blanketing nonstop with Shields but nevertheless) with Archangel.

Bare in mind this is purely from a 25m normal PoV, I'm hoping heroics aren't quite as mindnumbing. And if you want to pad WoL it might not be quite as mindless, but you'll still be topping your raids meters more than often purely through atonement and the occasional SS.

Biggest (and clearly the most important) point being: You get to jump around whilst healing when not applying SS
    Well im sold, looks to me like Ill be finishing off my Priest, I dont care for heroics I despise them really this would be for a normal 10m setting. And I love jumping, He has been 3 years in the making though. I hate leveling and questing even more, so it may be a long process.

Deleted
    Atonement healing is basically a 3 button dps rotation, if you want to focus on "dps healing" I can't see how fistweaving is more boring than that, but if you like mindless things it'll suit you perfectly
    Last edited by mmoc321e539296; 2013-03-21 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Atonement healing is basically a 3 button dps rotation, if you want to focus on "dps healing" I can't see how fistweaving is more boring than that, but if you like mindless things it'll suit you perfectly
    This is true. I've actually bound my mouse scroll up/down to my smite and penance mouseovertarget macros...so I can one finger roll my way through all my LFR. This is also why I'm trying holy for a while.

Deleted
    Do remember that he's looking for something that resembles blanketing the raid with Rejuvenation, compared to what resto's were before atonement healing with its 3 buttons odd is nearly nuclear-science!

Im not saying I want to just blanket the raid, but back then It was a blast to run around jumping and healing. I don't like casters because they sit in one spot and cast spells. This is why melee appeals to me, I jump all over the place and rarely sit in one spot for more than a few seconds, I play Ret/ Prot and am constantly moving from one side of the bosses back to the other. If anyone has played TSW and enjoyed the combat style with no resource to manage and all spells can be cast while moving, but hinder speed. I wish WOW could figure this out, Id enjoy my mage much more.

I am just looking at a mobile dps healer that is basically all. I also enjoy complex classes such as how many options a Shammy has, just hate slow casters.

Deleted
    I am just looking at a mobile dps healer that is basically all. I also enjoy complex classes such as how many options a Shammy has, just hate slow casters.
    If mobility is what you want, Monk is 100% the way to go, also fistweaving is slightly more complex than atonement, in fact mistweaver healing in general is slightly more complex at the moment.

Appreciate the feedback from everyone I may just have to start a monk and level him a bit to see what I like more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had my priest since mid-BC, was holy for awhile, bounced between disc and holy a little bit in WotLK and Cata. I had quit for a few months towards the end of Cata and I'm a little ashamed to say but when I came back a couple months after MoP started I read about the extremely horrid state of priests at the start of MoP and chose to abandon my priest for that time and level a mistweaver monk as my main instead.

I've since gone back to the priest, and even with an occasionally mind-numbingly boring 3-button dps rotation for atonement I've got to say I still enjoy the disc priest more now than I do the mistweaver monk.

It could have to do with the fact that I've never been much of a player who likes to be in melee range most of the time, or that I've had my priest so much longer. In any case, I still feel like you have at least a little bit more of a healing toolbox available to you if stuff starts to go downhill when you're a disc priest than you do as a mistweaver monk. On top of that, if Blizzard does something horribly wrong with disc, you can always go holy instead of rerolling. If you're going to dps and like ranged, priest has that option while monk does not. :P

I have both a priest and a monk (I have all the healing classes at 90) and between the two.....hmmmm i would say that i see more healing output from monks. They have WAY more passive healing capabilities then priest.

Monk > Priest any day

I had what you might call a mistweaver monk experiment at the beginning of Mists. We had too much cloth and conqueror in our 10 man. Monks have some nice tricks, but a lot of the healing is very uncontrolled and is very dependent on renewing mists spread and people stepping on the mastery orbs. When we were on H Bladelord (which screams "bring a disc priest and win"), I brought my priest again to see if it helped (we had H Stoneguard, H Feng, H Gar'ajal, H Elgelon on farm). The undergeared priest was a huge step up in healing just because controlled shields beat random hots anytime. We decided to deal with the conqueror token glut, DEing all int leather, and the excess clothies.

Well im sold, looks to me like Ill be finishing off my Priest, I dont care for heroics I despise them really this would be for a normal 10m setting. And I love jumping, He has been 3 years in the making though. I hate leveling and questing even more, so it may be a long process.
    Fistweaving is a lot more involved than atonement healing is, or at least it has the potential to be so in good gear - but in bad gear it is essentially a two-button rotation that's even less complicated than the disc one, and in good gear it is very hard to justify as a healing strategy when compared to disc priests. Atonement healing is a lot stronger than fistweaving right now.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Deleted
    If you are looking for a mobile healer, I dont think disc is the best idea (even if it is my fav class/spec). We can get around when needing to move, but even holy is more mobile than disc (and tempts me to respec in most fights that have a lot of movement). So if you imagine a healer jumping around and healing, disc will prolly not be that.

Deleted
    Guess it's somewhat a question bout your healing style / particular boss encounter, but once you have enough spirit I find myself jumping around more than often whilst throwing Shields around, using penance, Solace or PoM. Fair enough you cant jump whilst casting smite or SS, but I assure you, you CAN jump around ~50% of a boss fight if you want to. Not saying you should, nor that there's any sense in doing so, but you CAN if it's in your backbones after playing a resto druid since vanilla

Deleted
    I played a Restoration Druid since early TBC until MoP and then switched to a Discipline priest because the play styles feel completely different. If you want to play like a Resto Druid did in WotLK, Discipline Priest isn't the best place to look.

The fact a healer thinks like this makes me feel, perhaps unreasonably, sad and disappointed.
    Last edited by mmoc695f354894; 2013-03-22 at 11:55 AM.