Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why the US is in so much Debt.

I have decided to make this thread to explain to some people why were in debt but ill start off on a little history on our debt. How it started and why we got so much emptiness in our pockets. And how we tryed to fix it. ( basically what ill be talking about is 7th Grade history)

The colonist of the early America spent nearly 74 million dollars to pay for the war to fight for our liberty from the UK. We were basically loosing the war until France helped us in the later times of war. Also because it was causing to much money fro Britain to pay to keep the colonies. We didnt know that this amount of debt was supstdiezed so much that we wouldn't be able to pay it off. It wasn't until Alexander Hamilton the founder of the federalist party. His 3 step plan did actually help us out alot.

[The steps go like this]

In 1790, Hamilton proposed his financial plan to Congress. The plan included the following steps to improve the nation’s finances: 1) paying off all war
    debts (including state debts); 2) raising government revenues; 3) creating a national bank.Sectional differences arose over repayment of state
    debts. Many Southern states had already repaid their debts and resented being asked to help pay Northern states’ debts. Hamilton asked Thomas Jefferson
    to help him gain Southern support. They reached a compromise. In exchange for Southern support of the plan, Northerners agreed to place the nation’s capital
    in the South. Washington, D.C., was built on the Potomac River between Virginia and Maryland.Hamilton favored tariffs—taxes on imported foreign goods. Tariffs had two purposes: they raised
    money for the government and encouraged the growth of American industry. The government placed the highest taxes on foreign goods that Americans
    used in large quantities. This ensured a steady flow of income to the government, and encouraged people to buy less expensive American-made goods.
    Hamilton called for the creation of a national bank. A national bank would give the government a safe place to keep money, make loans to government and businesses, and issue bank notes.
    The debate over Hamilton’s plan for a national bank exposed differences about how to interpret the Constitution.
    Madison and Jefferson argued that the Constitution did not give the government the power to set up a bank.They believed in the strict construction
    of the Constitution. They stated that the government has only those powers that the Constitution clearly says it has.
    Therefore, if the Constitution does not mention a national bank, the government cannot create one.
    Hamilton disagreed. He favored a loose construction of the Constitution. He argued that the bank was necessary to carry out the government’s duties.
    According to this view, where a power has been created by the Constitution, the “necessary and proper” clause (the elastic clause) permits it to be
    exercised flexibly. Hamilton won the debate.

So alexander did help us lower our our debt but another war broke. the war of 1812. You all know or should know but basically The War of 1812 was a 32-month military conflict between the United States and the British Empire and their Indian allies which resulted in no territorial change between the Empire and the USA, but a resolution of many issues which remained from the American War of Independence. The United States declared war in 1812 for several reasons, including trade restrictions brought about by Britain's ongoing war with France, the impressment of American merchant sailors into the Royal Navy, British support of American Indian tribes against American expansion, outrage over insults to national honor after humiliations on the high seas, and possible American interest in annexing Canada. That soon cost alot more debt that we did not need and more and more wars started to broke out. Then the 1900s hit. And from there the debt started to grow on and on more and more soon we were in 7 trillion dollars in debt.

And to cut this short because it will most likely take up a hole page. This what i just explained was how we got our debt and how its growing and how we could of gotten rid of.

---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 06:05 PM ----------

Im sorry i didnt talk to much about the more recent wars or anyhting that caused us debt becasue it would take to much time to actually write down

War cost alot, and we as the free world know USA helped, alot.

I think I read every soldier stationed inn Iraq costed 150k dollars each, if you did the total cost for the war up like that, for USA only.

BUT! With all that said - USA is big, and as such they have a responsibility. Im glad Obama tries to make sutle hints at the fact that USA shoulden't interfeer inn every war around the world, but also achknowledeging his responsebility inn the big wars.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

The wars have total real costs in the $4 trillion vicinity. The gigantic recession cost something in the vicinity of another $3 trillion to lost revenue and bailouts. Take those away, and our debt would be at entirely sustainable levels.

There's no need for lengthy explanations to this to have a basic understanding.

Deleted
    spending more money than they earn! thats how debt works right?

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    We spend more than we earn and let so many people get away with the loop holes in taxes.

10+ Year Old Account
    your missing quite a few important details from the last century that would better describe how we got into debt.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what my partner tells me from his econ classes, there is nothing wrong with having debt, so long as the United States is able to remain productive enough to meet the debt obligations. When we should start worrying is when we're no longer able to make our payments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    From what my partner tells me from his econ classes, there is nothing wrong with having debt, so long as the United States is able to remain productive enough to meet the debt obligations. When we should start worrying is when we're no longer able to make our payments.
    isn't the us starting to reach the point where no matter what it does it wont be able to pay back its debt with the available assets at hand?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Why the US is in debt:

The government spends more than it takes in.

/thread

I blame the Rothschild's and the Federal Reserve
    "one never escapes from the compulsion and chance to be powerful" Peter Sloterdijk
    i5-4690k --- ASUS Z97-A --- 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X 1600 --- EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    isn't the us starting to reach the point where no matter what it does it wont be able to pay back its debt with the available assets at hand?
    Not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by flareside View Post
    I blame the Rothschild's and the Federal Reserve
    Don't forget the Illuminati and reptilians

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Long term debt isn't really a problem so long as you're stable and aren't running too bad a deficit for too long.

Think of it like this. You're not screwed just because you owe 30k in student loans so long as you're not losing money faster than you're making it.

Don't forget the Illuminati and reptilians
    So Obama?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    So Obama?
    Twas Jay-Z that done it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Obama.

Did I win?

edit: I didn't win Wells beat me....Thanks a lot Obama.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Because Obama.

Did I win?

edit: I didn't win Wells beat me....Thanks a lot Obama.
    Haven't you heard? I'm Obama.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought you were just one of his minions. It's on breitbart I got sources bro.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pssh you dont have the swag to pull off taking a Peace Prize only to turn around and create thousands of flying death drones raining hell on Pakistan!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Can I have a free iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Can I have a free iPhone?
    How about a nice drone instead?

How about a nice drone instead?
    Only if you promise to strip me of my citizenship and kill me and my family.