Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Please show me reports, of the Kimura, and rubber guard being used in Pankration. I never said "fancy moves" can't happen in a street fight. I never said Pankration was primitive, but the fact is, depictions of it never show jiu jitsu styled moves. It does show arm locks, and head locks, I have never denied that fam. Or denied forearm chokes. Read my post again i'm pretty sure I stated that. However some of the moves Gannicus have used were developed in an entirely different martial art, and period of time. Modern pankration does involve Jiu Jitsu, some guy forget his name, revolutionized Pankration in the seventies and got it famous again. Gannicus uses this modern style in my opinion.

I've watched numerous cinema where a secondary character has fans. Thing is Gannicus hasn't proven himself clearly superior. I'm not going to forget the Egyptian fighting him and Onoemaus, and Onoemaus saving him. I know he won eventually but at the cost of Onoemaus life. They stopped doing Spartacus rage kills, we all know if he hears "kill them all" from his wife, he kills them all. As for Crixus being a better warrior, no way. Can he fight with two swords, sword and shield, spear, small unit tactics like Sparty? Spartacus is the way more versatile guy with weapons.

I like all these characters Onoemaus was my favorite.

My ranking list (share yours this is our opinions)
    1. Theokolese
    2. Onoemaus (healthy)
    3. Spartacus
    4. Gannicus
    5. Egyptian/Crixus Prime
    6. Crixus
    7. Barca/Agron
    Last edited by The Lottery; 2013-03-22 at 03:32 PM.

If you see two kids fighting in school, possibilities are that they will end up grabbling on the ground and perform numerous grabbling styles from Grecoroman wrestling to Judo, without obviously ever having been tought anything. If a specific style is known for a 'trademark' move this doesn't mean that in the heat of combat, a practitioner of a different style cannot use it. Armlocks and chokes are the basis of any complete martial art. Some of them are focusing more on said techniques, hence they implement way more variations on the field. The human body happens to have 2 arms and 2 legs and although you can perform many techniques with their respective variations, at the end you will just disable your opponent using your hands and legs...

I can't see any different way to be able to overcome and knock down full armored opponents while you are unarmed, as it used to happen back then. You may have the impression that styles used today and their names are some kind of evolution but thing is that the human body and its physic mechanics are the same. Depending on the opponent, your strength and the situation, there are clever and reccomended things to do to win the fight. Its not that kimura is such a complicated move to have been performed back then when unarmed combat was the last resort to save your life.

Pankration today does involve jiu jitsu and that was inevitable since the art was actually almost inexistent during Byzantium times. Thing is that Pankration was practiced some centuries before....and we do know that it was a mix of kickboxing with wrestling. There is no point trying to argue who used what first.
    It is just my impression that when I see a statue depicting a reverse arm lock and a pressure point exploit on the neck, that things were pretty awsome back then. The difference from sport and real Pankration was that in a game you simply could not bite or eye gouge. No other restrictions.

I just disagree that the 5-6 scenes of Gannicus fighting depict a completely different and unreal for the time fighting style. According to your logic, he used Krav maga
    when he killed that dude in s2 who was strong enough to throw him flying in the air with his spear, he used Jiu Jitsu against Crixus, he used boxing in his first scene and he used ninjutsu when he jumpwalked on a wall to get behing his opponent. I mean come on...

Gannicus is just unstoppable. He did not 'eventually' killed the Egyptian. He killed him in 2 moves after he fatally wounded his brother driven by rage. ( His first move was what? Taekwondo? ). Same way he simply disarmed and killed that beast in the ring of fire after Oenomaus gaze releaved him of his guilts.
    It is impossible for a secondary character to be shown clearly superior to the main protagonist. No one can expect that, although in this show 'equality' has actually been stated, at least.

When I said Crixus was the better warrior (before Naevia), I ment that overall as a fighter who fights for purpose and stands on the highest moral ground. In his dying breath he chooses to help Spartacus against Theokles, he later on saves his life when attacked by that new gladiator in the bath (because he is a brother) and during whole s1 he was depicted as the most disciplined and hard working gladiator.

My ranking list would be definately with Gannicus on top followed or shared with Oenomaus ( mainly cause he was beating in practice both Spartacus and a well fit Crixus at the same time although he was away from arena for long time).

DAMN YOU CRIXUS! you really did have a great head on your shoulders!

Holy fuck. How about Tiberius pumpin dat ass on Caesar.

10+ Year Old Account
    This show keeps getting better and better. Just marathoned up to current with this season and I love it all. Character are awesome. Dialogue is tops next to GoT. Action is beastly.

So glad they found a good actor to fill the hole left after the original actor passed. He was great too and I really had doubts in replacing him, even though he said hardly anything the first season.

This is definitely the most underrated show on. I try to tell people about it all the time.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Holy fuck. How about Tiberius pumpin dat ass on Caesar.
    Seriously, that was so random. I'm glad Cesar gets back at him in the next episode at least (from the previews). I really hate that arrogant shit. Crassus went from likeable villain to pretty insane, not sure how I feel about that. It was nice to have a reasonable man as a villain for once, now they've turned him into Glaber 2.0, just slightly more strategic.

I don't think Agron is actually dead. They cut away while he was lying on the ground still breathing (barely). There's no way they just ignore the death of such an important character imo.

Crixus dying was absolutely ridiculous and such a shitty way to go for someone who was so high on "honor" and "glory". Really displeased with the way he was killed.

I really hope it ends on a high note (I know how the lore ends, I just hope they change it for the sake of the series).

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I really hope they won't end it like the gladiator movie where the main character is dying and is then shown running across the field to meet he wife. Since it's not clear that the historical Spartacus really died I still have hope that they get to live and flee to another country, Well, hopefully at least Spartacus with the roman woman (if she dies too, it would be too much already) and Gannicus as well. He was already free and joined the rebellion out of free will not of necessity like the escaped slaves so death as a reward for that would be too dark.

Crixus and Naevia will probably die though. I just can't see it ending well for them. I wish they didn't but even if they let some of the main characters live, these two seem like the prime candidates to die horribly on a roman cross for dramatic effect.
    Historical Spartacus did die and his army was crucied from Capulla to Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    Historical Spartacus did die and his army was crucied from Capulla to Rome.
    not true. history says that although his army was defeated, they never found spartacus' body

Quote Originally Posted by kaamila View Post
    not true. history says that although his army was defeated, they never found spartacus' body
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Servile_War if anyone is interested in the historical conflict.

Also: HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AN AWESOME EPISODE.

Deleted
    omg, now we are gonna see all those slaves/gladiators crucified on the roads to rome...

That episode was maybe the best ever so far. What I didn't actually comprehend was how suddenly Agron decided to march with Crixus when they were never putting up well together. Anyway, Crixus had a glorious death, humilated many legions, almost grasped Rome and died outnumbered and backstabbed, bested by noone. What else can you ask for? That's how heros die. On next episode we get to see Spartacus putting in arena Romans to fight as gladiators so as to honour Crixus as it historically happened.
    Mark my words, Spartacus isnt dying. His body was never found as said many times. There will be some kind of happy ending, although it is far from needed.

Spartacus was possibly the best man ever walked the planet. Stood against the empire with his mind, soul and sword and fought for everything that is just cause, chaging the route of history and civilization.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    That episode was maybe the best ever so far. What I didn't actually comprehend was how suddenly Agron decided to march with Crixus when they were never putting up well together. Anyway, Crixus had a glorious death, humilated many legions, almost grasped Rome and died outnumbered and backstabbed, bested by noone. What else can you ask for? That's how heros die. On next episode we get to see Spartacus putting in arena Romans to fight as gladiators so as to honour Crixus as it historically happened.
    Mark my words, Spartacus isnt dying. His body was never found as said many times. There will be some kind of happy ending, although it is far from needed.

Spartacus was possibly the best man ever walked the planet. Stood against the empire with his mind, soul and sword and fought for everything that is just cause, chaging the route of history and civilization.
    It will be a 'happy end' ofcourse.

The ending imo should be like this...

> Spartacus engages romans
    > Spartacus' people dying etc
    > spartacus' new waifu escapes, pregnant with his child obv
    > almost everyone dies
    > then you will see spartacus in a crowded place, hooded/clothed, almost unrecognizable looking at his waifu from far away
    > Waifu believes he is still alive
    > yada yada

I will try a wild guess. Spartacus engages Romans, destroys Caesar's and Tiberius' men, captures them and exchanges Caesar's life for his men crucified but some still alive.
    Tiberius dies and Kore mocks him on his last breath. Crassus comes back after clearing Rome suburbs while he rushed against time to get rid of rebells before Pompey arrives.
    Spartacus tries to take advantage of that and make an agreement. Crassus denies. Spartacus keeps on evacuation plan but attacked by Crassus. Gannicus stays to die to protect the last remainders fleeing. Castus aids Spartacus and Laeta move to Sicily. Series ending with contrast images of men crucified and others living happily ever after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    This is definitely the most underrated show on. I try to tell people about it all the time.
    Yeah, people like to pre-judge and assume those of us who watch it do it because of all the gore and like to think we're animals or something. But yeah, the rating on IMDB (8.7) is proof that all that do watch it find it more or less awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    Seriously, that was so random. I'm glad Cesar gets back at him in the next episode at least (from the previews). I really hate that arrogant shit. Crassus went from likeable villain to pretty insane, not sure how I feel about that. It was nice to have a reasonable man as a villain for once, now they've turned him into Glaber 2.0, just slightly more strategic.
    Yeah, I agree, Crassus was pretty awesome as a villain up until episode 7.

I don't think Agron is actually dead. They cut away while he was lying on the ground still breathing (barely). There's no way they just ignore the death of such an important character imo.
    That was my first thought after watching the episode, that Agron isn't dead for sure. All he got was a slice. Besides, it would be a pretty good strategic move from the show makers to deceive the viewers and make one of the two dead protagonists actually alive and unite him with his lover (which obviously doesn't happen with Naevia and Crixus, although I have a feeling Naevia is going to kill someone, perhaps Tiberius).

Crixus dying was absolutely ridiculous and such a shitty way to go for someone who was so high on "honor" and "glory". Really displeased with the way he was killed.
    I can't say I have something against him dying the way he did. He was a fool with a bloodthirst that eventually got to him. An honorable fool, but a fool nonetheless. I mean, you can discern from the show's name that the protagonists will die. Yes, even Spartacus will, judging by how true to history this show is trying to be (Batiatus, Verinius, Glaber and pretty much every other character from the first two seasons that you can think of did actually exist, as well as Oenomeus, Gannicus, Crixus, Agron, etc.)

I really hope it ends on a high note (I know how the lore ends, I just hope they change it for the sake of the series).
    While in all honesty that is something I would emotionally want (as in what would be fun), it wouldn't make much sense and it would be pretty inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alceus View Post
    omg, now we are gonna see all those slaves/gladiators crucified on the roads to rome...
    Between Rome and Capua. 6000 of them. Yeah, that will be scary. :S

Edit: I just realized, after reading a bit about the war on Wikipedia, that it would be pretty awesome if they made any further seasons about how the First Triumvirate came about. I mean, Crassus and Caesar are already there, and according to Wikipedia, Pompey returns from dealing with rebels in the Iberian peninsula exactly at the time to help Crassus finish Spartacus. Would be quite interesting if they made a show about the cooperation between the three and eventual triumph of Caesar and his rise as the first emperor (although only in practice).
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-03-23 at 03:04 PM.

I know that it's a fiction and all but fuck, the people back then must've been some kind of fucked up Jesse Ventura sexual tyrannosaurus type if even half of this shit is somewhat comparable to the real thing. I mean a guy fresh from a fight, sees another guy pinned down to a table and has an on-demand hard-on in FIVE SECONDS in order to assrape said pinned down guy.

credits: Supernerd

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsdott View Post
    I know that it's a fiction and all but fuck, the people back then must've been some kind of fucked up Jesse Ventura sexual tyrannosaurus type if even half of this shit is somewhat comparable to the real thing. I mean a guy fresh from a fight, sees another guy pinned down to a table and has an on-demand hard-on in FIVE SECONDS in order to assrape said pinned down guy.
    Haha! Thought to mention that, but guessed it would be shocking.

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 04:32 PM ----------

I can't say I have something against him dying the way he did. He was a fool with a bloodthirst that eventually got to him. An honorable fool, but a fool nonetheless. I mean, you can discern from the show's name that the protagonists will die. Yes, even Spartacus will, judging by how true to history this show is trying to be (Batiatus, Verinius, Glaber and pretty much every other character from the first two seasons that you can think of did actually exist, as well as Oenomeus, Gannicus, Crixus, Agron, etc.)
    Revesiting history chronicles, I can see many inconsistencies but overall so far so good. In any case even historians contradict themselves sometimes.

I confess.. I was devastated. I even knew it was coming..

Im not ashamed to say.. I welled up irl.. when agron bit it. and crixus.

Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    I confess.. I was devastated. I even knew it was coming..

Im not ashamed to say.. I welled up irl.. when agron bit it. and crixus.
    Agron is alive in ep 9 promo although it won't do him any good.

credits: Supernerd

I think Agron will be the one to drop the bomb about the truth of what Tiburus did to Kore. Also I think Agron left with Crixius because he realized he was going to lose Nasir.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Yeah, people like to pre-judge and assume those of us who watch it do it because of all the gore and like to think we're animals or something. But yeah, the rating on IMDB (8.7) is proof that all that do watch it find it more or less awesome.

Yeah, I agree, Crassus was pretty awesome as a villain up until episode 7.

That was my first thought after watching the episode, that Agron isn't dead for sure. All he got was a slice. Besides, it would be a pretty good strategic move from the show makers to deceive the viewers and make one of the two dead protagonists actually alive and unite him with his lover (which obviously doesn't happen with Naevia and Crixus, although I have a feeling Naevia is going to kill someone, perhaps Tiberius).

While in all honesty that is something I would emotionally want (as in what would be fun), it wouldn't make much sense and it would be pretty inconsistent.

Between Rome and Capua. 6000 of them. Yeah, that will be scary. :S

Edit: I just realized, after reading a bit about the war on Wikipedia, that it would be pretty awesome if they made any further seasons about how the First Triumvirate came about. I mean, Crassus and Caesar are already there, and according to Wikipedia, Pompey returns from dealing with rebels in the Iberian peninsula exactly at the time to help Crassus finish Spartacus. Would be quite interesting if they made a show about the cooperation between the three and eventual triumph of Caesar and his rise as the first emperor (although only in practice).
    from what I've read, Agron never existed, they replaced one of the real leaders ( a Roman Castus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castus_(rebel_slave)) with Agron, and made Castus in to the Pirate,

in history the Roman slave fought with them but in the TV series the writers must have thought we would never accept Spartacus having a Roman gladiator as one of his generals,

plus pause at 0.02 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb7dajG0mLE Agron is there in bandages, behind Spartacus
    Last edited by mmoc50cda6f559; 2013-03-24 at 12:38 AM.