Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Movies] Recommended sci-fi movies?

Even though these not my usual go to movies when I'm looking for something to watch, I think I've seen most of the big titles that have come out this century.

And since tomorrow is my turn to pick one out, I was hoping the MMO Champion community might have a few ideas. It would also be nice if you could include a short description why you think the movie or movies you have listed is worth watching.

So anyway, rules..

-has to be made after 2000
    -can't be thriller or one of those confusing mysteries where someone says (s)he's alien who has come looking for love or some such but it's never made clear and they might just be crazy.
    -moderate or large budget, high quality movie
    -cant be animated
    -has to be made in US or co op.
    -cant have any spiritual or "deep" stuff in a la Butterfly Effect.

Star Trek (2009)

Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyJszxnJydA

Great acting and directing, and the actors really fit their parts well. Even if you're not a big star trek fan I would recommend this film. Lots of action and a great story that brings the original enterprise crew together.

With the new film (Star Trek: Into Darkness) being released in may, now is a good time to watch it if you've not seen it before.

Deleted
    You've seen most big titles, yet you want us to suggest a blockbuster? xD
    I'm just going to assume that you've seen Avatar, Alien vs predator, Predator then?

Anyways; Robot & Frank was a pretty good movie. It's not science fiction per se but it does have some futuristic elements.

Robot & Frank isn't an action movie with exploding cars and whatnot, instead it's a heartwarming and fun comedy/drama. You learn to love the main characters from get go and you just want to see how their relationship progresses throughout the movie. Don't be fooled though, it's not a cuddly, naive movie with all fun and laughter. It was a good watch and I highly recommend it.

Now, if we're talking about expensive effects, cute damsels in distress and evil masterminds then I'll have to say, Jumper. It's a great lighthearted movie that feeds you all the science fiction you crave without inconveniencing you with a deep and mysterious plot. As the title says, it's about Jumpers. Not the boring ones in computers but people who can Jump/teleport anywhere they like as long as they've seen the area they are "Jumping" to. There's not much more to say about it. It's just a good action Sci-Fi flick for those hungover sunday's.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dotsmon View Post
    Star Trek (2009)
    Seen it but thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    You've seen most big titles, yet you want us to suggest a blockbuster? xD
    I'm just going to assume that you've seen Avatar, Alien vs predator, Predator then?

Anyways; Robot & Frank was a pretty good movie. It's not science fiction per se but it does have some futuristic elements.

Robot & Frank isn't an action movie with exploding cars and whatnot, instead it's a heartwarming and fun comedy/drama. You learn to love the main characters from get go and you just want to see how their relationship progresses throughout the movie. Don't be fooled though, it's not a cuddly, naive movie with all fun and laughter. It was a good watch and I highly recommend it.

Now, if we're talking about expensive effects, cute damsels in distress and evil masterminds then I'll have to say, Jumper. It's a great lighthearted movie that feeds you all the science fiction you crave without inconveniencing you with a deep and mysterious plot. As the title says, it's about Jumpers. Not the boring ones in computers but people who can Jump/teleport anywhere they like as long as they've seen the area they are "Jumping" to. There's not much more to say about it. It's just a good action Sci-Fi flick for those hungover sunday's.
    Im female and straight so cute damsels is not really my thing, maybe cute heroic male heroes instead?:P Also Im not a big fan of explosions and action so to be more accurate I'm looking for something visually stunning, with a good story and interesting scientific concepts.

I saw jumper a week ago, didn't like it. But I'm definitely looking up "Robot and Frank", thanks for that

I loved Avatar, War of the Worlds and most disaster movies though.

Few other movies I really liked

A.I.
    I, Robot.
    District 9
    Last edited by mmocc089ef6a74; 2013-03-23 at 01:35 PM.

How about district 9? Although that might fail your made in America label test. Good movie, laughs and sci-fi.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    must see "sunshine"

Event horizon, it's 1997 though but really good.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    How about district 9? Although that might fail your made in America label test. Good movie, laughs and sci-fi.
    Hehe, I loved that movie! Seen it 3 times at least.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post

Im female and straight so cute damsels is not really my thing, maybe cute heroic male heroes instead?:P Also Im not a big fan of explosions and action so to be more accurate I'm looking for something visually stunning, with a good story and interesting scientific concepts.

I saw jumper a week ago, didn't like it. But I'm definitely looking up "Robot and Frank", thanks for that
    Well, the lead in Jumper wasn't that ugly was he? xD

Also Im not a big fan of explosions and action so to be more accurate I'm looking for something visually stunning, with a good story and interesting scientific concepts.
    Anyways, Moon! This is one of my favorite sci-fi movies that came out "lately". It's sort of a mindfuck and you feel kinda bad after watching it but it really is world class. Check that one out as well. (Embedded Imdb link in movie name)

Edit: There is no loose ends in this movie so it's not that type of mindfuck.

I loved Avatar, War of the Worlds and most disaster movies though.
    Who didn't? Visually amazing movies! * Faint whispering runs through the air...Independence day* xD
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2013-03-23 at 01:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by siafu View Post
    must see "sunshine"
    Thriller

But I haven't seen it so definitely considering it.

Deleted
    The Core, quite a bad movie, but fits what you seem to want, Disaster movie, Sci-Fi and big budget.

Uh, John Carter?

At least the visuals are nice.
    You see, there's this thing called "aggro". It's a very complicated, very technical roleplaying expression.
    Loosely translated, it means "the priest dies".

Deleted
    Well, the lead in Jumper wasn't that ugly was he? xD

Anyways, Moon! This is one of my favorite sci-fi movies that came out "lately". It's sort of a mindfuck and you feel kinda bad after watching it but it really is world class. Check that one out as well. (Embedded Imdb link in movie name)

Who didn't? Visually amazing movies! * Faint whispering runs through the air...Independence day* xD
    No, and I have to apologize I haven't seen the movie, I got it mixed with Looper. Soo.. probably got a winner here (I really like both Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt). Also seen Moon twice. My ex bf liked it so he made me watch it, lol. It wasn't too bad though, especially considerign the low budget. Seen Independence day too. It was ok, I guess.

How about looper?

JGL and Bruce Willis are pretty good in this movie. I really enjoyed it.
    Its set in the future and stuff about time travel

Deleted
    No, and I have to apologize I haven't seen the movie, I got it mixed with Looper. Soo.. probably got a winner here (I really like both Bruce Willis and Joseph Gordon-Levitt). Also seen Moon twice. My ex bf liked it so he made me watch it, lol. It wasn't too bad though, especially considerign the low budget. Seen Independence day too. It was ok, I guess.
    Alright then, cool.

Independence day is OK? What have my eyes read? It's amazing dammnit!

Anyways, have a nice movie night. Hope you like the movies

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eigon88 View Post
    The Core, quite a bad movie, but fits what you seem to want, Disaster movie, Sci-Fi and big budget.
    Seen it, kind of liked it:P

Quote Originally Posted by Muoteck View Post
    Uh, John Carter?

At least the visuals are nice.
    Seen it twice:=)

Quote Originally Posted by Asseuri View Post
    How about looper?

JGL and Bruce Willis are pretty good in this movie. I really enjoyed it.
    Its set in the future and stuff about time travel
    Didn't like the movie much but I definitely agree that the actors were really good, especially JGL (loved the 20s style)

---------- Post added 2013-03-23 at 01:55 PM ----------

Alright then, cool.

Independence day is OK? What have my eyes read? It's amazing dammnit!

Anyways, have a nice movie night. Hope you like the movies
    Yes it was visually great but a bit cheesy and hacking the aliens and uploading a human made virus? Come on.. seriously?!:P

Deleted
    Yes it was visually great but a bit cheesy and hacking the aliens and uploading a human made virus? Come on.. seriously?!:P
    Haha! It's marked sci-fi for a reason and I hardly doubt it was because of the aliens in this case

Deleted
    Haha! It's marked sci-fi for a reason and I hardly doubt it was because of the aliens in this case
    Ok ok, I'm not that cynical I liked the movie, honestly.. Avatar also had it's mistakes but I LOVED that movie as well.

Loopers and Source Code - fucking awesome.
    Repo men - not as good but also very enjoyable.

they all have a thriller/mystery aspect to it tho.

Deleted
    Ok ok, I'm not that cynical I liked the movie, honestly.. Avatar also had it's mistakes but I LOVED that movie as well.
    Some movies just have that feel to them. You feel like a child on Christmas morning watching both Avatar and previously mentioned.
    Glad we could agree Totally gonna watch both Avatar and Independence day tonight xD