Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Thanks. She is part wolf lol. I don't remember the exact percentage, but it's fairly high. Nor do I remember the exact breed of wolf. I want to say her mother was somewhere in the 60-80% range and the father in the 70-85% range.
    She is absolutely beautiful.

I grew up in Alaska and always wanted to get a wolf hybrid, I looked for one before getting my current pup but couldn't find a reputable breeder. Where did you get her? Also, did you have any particular issues housetraining her, etc? I have been doing a lot of reading on wolfdogs and some say they are hard to control. My parents bred dogs and trained them as a hobby growing up, which I was very involved in, so I have extensive training experience with dogs but none with wolfdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    5 years old. No recent photos of her thanks to no camera. She is super huggable, which is good because she loves hugs.
    What a beauty I love Goldens!

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    She is absolutely beautiful.

I grew up in Alaska and always wanted to get a wolf hybrid, I looked for one before getting my current pup but couldn't find a reputable breeder. Where did you get her? Also, did you have any particular issues housetraining her, etc? I have been doing a lot of reading on wolfdogs and some say they are hard to control. My parents bred dogs and trained them as a hobby growing up, which I was very involved in, so I have extensive training experience with dogs but none with wolfdogs.
    Thanks! She was the puppy of our other wolf hybrid who we got from a friend of my Dad's that raises them. We didn't have many issues with Sasha. Sure, she did stuff she wasn't supposed to when she was a puppy like any other puppy does, but we don't have those issues anymore. One thing that I'd say is pretty common with wolf hybrids (at least the one's we've had and the one's I've encountered) is that they're quite skittish. Sasha was originally pretty scared of other people aside from me and my dad. She's not that way anymore, but it was a while before she was cool with interacting with people she didn't know. She's absolutely an awesome dog though.

Her mother Sable was a lot worse when it came to people though (she was a higher percentage wolf). It wasn't until like 2-3 years after we'd had her that she was relatively ok around people. From what I've noticed, our wolf hybrid's get considerably more attached to their owners than other dogs we've had. When I used to live with my dad, on the rare occasion he didn't bring Sable with him, she'd howl and cry until he came back. Sasha used to do it, but not really anymore.

So, just found out that my golden retriever Honey Buns (posted pics of her a couple posts up) has heartworms. This really really fucked me up. Can't start treatment of that for 2 weeks while we see if we can clear the blood from her urine (think she may have bladder infection, have her on antibiotics) according to the vet. Taking my other 3 doggies in to get them tested soon. I hope beyond everything that it is relegated to my Honey Buns and the other 3 don't have that shit too.

And knowing that the treatment also has a chance of killing her... But I will take the chance of her getting rid of this shit and being able to live instead of the certainty that she will die from this. And if the other 3 have it, I will take that chance with them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    So, just found out that my golden retriever Honey Buns (posted pics of her a couple posts up) has heartworms. This really really fucked me up. Can't start treatment of that for 2 weeks while we see if we can clear the blood from her urine (think she may have bladder infection, have her on antibiotics) according to the vet. Taking my other 3 doggies in to get them tested soon. I hope beyond everything that it is relegated to my Honey Buns and the other 3 don't have that shit too.

And knowing that the treatment also has a chance of killing her... But I will take the chance of her getting rid of this shit and being able to live instead of the certainty that she will die from this. And if the other 3 have it, I will take that chance with them as well.
    Hopefully everything goes as good as it can go. I had a scare a couple weeks ago where we found a lump in my dogs mouth and all I could think about was that it was cancer. You're doing exactly what I would do though, whatever needs to be done. We found the lump on Monday, on Wednesday I even had a 2nd opinion, and by Thursday he was having surgery. He ended up having a fibromatous epulis which is the most manageable type of oral mass and also non-cancerous, so I went from having the worst week ever to receiving some of the best news ever when I got the biopsy results the next week.

10+ Year Old Account
    so if i wanted to get a dog sometime in the future what dog would be closest to a poodle? wouldnt want another poodle. but would want something that doesnt shed.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Dodododo...Still waiting for my dog to do something fun. all she has done is eat and sleep the past week.
    Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Thanks! She was the puppy of our other wolf hybrid who we got from a friend of my Dad's that raises them. We didn't have many issues with Sasha. Sure, she did stuff she wasn't supposed to when she was a puppy like any other puppy does, but we don't have those issues anymore. One thing that I'd say is pretty common with wolf hybrids (at least the one's we've had and the one's I've encountered) is that they're quite skittish. Sasha was originally pretty scared of other people aside from me and my dad. She's not that way anymore, but it was a while before she was cool with interacting with people she didn't know. She's absolutely an awesome dog though.

Her mother Sable was a lot worse when it came to people though (she was a higher percentage wolf). It wasn't until like 2-3 years after we'd had her that she was relatively ok around people. From what I've noticed, our wolf hybrid's get considerably more attached to their owners than other dogs we've had. When I used to live with my dad, on the rare occasion he didn't bring Sable with him, she'd howl and cry until he came back. Sasha used to do it, but not really anymore.
    I could work with that....we're looking for a companion for my pup, I live in a relatively urban area due to grad school so a hybrid is probably off the table for now, but I'll probably reconsider it after school is over.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    so if i wanted to get a dog sometime in the future what dog would be closest to a poodle? wouldnt want another poodle. but would want something that doesnt shed.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm are you allergic or...? As the article says, all dogs shed somewhat. You could try a poodle cross if you like larger dogs--a goldendoodle or a labradoodle, for example, take on some of the more people-friendly/playful qualities of a golden or a lab (although poodles are friendly and playful too).

Smaller dog wise I can't really give any advice, I've always been a big dog person. The only small breeds on your list that I am somewhat familiar with are Dachsunds/Welsh Terriers and they aren't too bad--my grandparents owned one of each and they had pretty big personalities.

Deleted
    Soo sweet!!

10+ Year Old Account
    New pictures of my babies as we go to sleep!

boyfriend was off playing Diablo 3 so we got all snuggle up for a bit

Here's a pic of my new buddy that I'll be picking up from the breeder soon. He's a Bull Terrier.

http://i.imgur.com/iuwHxZ3.jpg

We're looking to get a dog in a few weeks time, will probably start making phone calls tomorrow to view little puppies. I think we'll be going for labrador as they're reliable family pets and I have a child, and I am SO excited. It's taken a while to convince my partner to let me have a dog, he's more of a cat person (we already have a cat) but if he likes a dog, it's usually a very pretty little show dog type, and I just prefer a lovely big dog I can cuddle and take for longer walks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KatieDV View Post
    We're looking to get a dog in a few weeks time, will probably start making phone calls tomorrow to view little puppies. I think we'll be going for labrador as they're reliable family pets and I have a child, and I am SO excited. It's taken a while to convince my partner to let me have a dog, he's more of a cat person (we already have a cat) but if he likes a dog, it's usually a very pretty little show dog type, and I just prefer a lovely big dog I can cuddle and take for longer walks.
    Don't underestimate small dogs! My french bulldog is getting a bit old now (11 years, they become 8 on average o.o) but in his younger years, often took him on 1.5 to 2 hour walks. He loved it, although I always had a companion with me that also had a dog. Them being together may have made it more fun for him.

While I'm on the subject, here's my little french bulldog Mikey chilling in the backyard. As soon as the sun hits our backyard, he wants to go out and lay there on the wooden thingies. (They absorb a bit of heat, so they're nice and warm to lay on. )

In the mean time, his big butt has destroyed many many plants and flowers, since he for some reason always parks that right behind the wooden thing... lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    Don't underestimate small dogs! My french bulldog is getting a bit old now (11 years, they become 8 on average o.o) but in his younger years, often took him on 1.5 to 2 hour walks. He loved it, although I always had a companion with me that also had a dog. Them being together may have made it more fun for him.

While I'm on the subject, here's my little french bulldog Mikey chilling in the backyard. As soon as the sun hits our backyard, he wants to go out and lay there on the wooden thingies. (They absorb a bit of heat, so they're nice and warm to lay on. )

In the mean time, his big butt has destroyed many many plants and flowers, since he for some reason always parks that right behind the wooden thing... lol.

Yup! Lots of dogs, especially small ones, can have a ton of energy. Shibas (the kind we have), can run for over a half hour straight without stopping.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Man, my life would be so empty without my dog. I will post pics when I get home (can't do it at work). She is a 4 year yellow lab and she is the greatest fog ever!!! I have never seen such a wonderful thing as a dog...they exist to please us. She will sit there while I'm on my computer, starign at me, and when I look at her to say hi, she smiles and wags her tail. It doesn;t matter how mean I am to her when I am in a down spot, she automatically fogives me and forgets about it. she doesn't judge me, and every single time I come home, she is at the door with the crazy circle-wag tail. It doesn't matter whether I have been gone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, she is always estatic to see me. It breaks my heart that I will out-live her, but I will never again be without a 4 legged, furry child.
    Last edited by forwards1ca; 2013-04-07 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forwards1ca View Post
    It breaks my heart that I will out-live her
    It's the price we pay to have someone who loves us more than they love themselves. I have 4 right now. One (my golden retriever) came back positive for heartworms, but 2 others (my husky and my retriever mix) came back negative, which shocked the hell out of the vet. So, when we get my golden retriever's urinary infection finally cleared (latest pee sample apparently still showed trace of infection), we will have her retested to see if she truly does have heartworms, or if it was a false positive. Because if our 4th dog (chow/gsd mix) comes back HW negative, there is a chance that it was a false positive (I really hope it is).

And we have a small dog as well who, after being hugged on (lifting him off the ground to hug), will shoot around the house with a "bug up his butt" for a good 20 minutes. He's 5 years old. When he was younger, he would do it for an hour or so.

I have 3 Australian Shepards. Love the breed, very VERY smart ._. and great personality. They're also very good with children, considering I grew up with the breed.

Here is a picture of the newest addition to our family.

Her mother looks like a corgi but I'm not totally sure. The father is unknown. She is so tiny though <3 Her name is Kairi, and we just got her yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always loved dogs I grew up with dogs in my house. When I was little we had big dogs like golden retrievers, since then they have passed away and now we have little dogs. I love having the little dogs, they are the best when you want someone to watch TV with. They are the best lap dogs. I find that one of my dogs always wears a coat, he loves it. If you ever take the coat off him he will try and grab it from you and look at you like, why would you take that off of me? He has a wardrobe just for him. When his coat needs to be washed you open the door to his wardrobe and he goes in and picks out another coat. I love my dogs. Well have a great night everyone.

Deleted
    I've got 2 dogs. They're brothers . They're going to be 6 this year!

Gary just turned 1 a few weeks ago.