Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Question] Advice on Tortos normal 10-man

We are at Tortos (finally and to everyone's surprise).

I would love to know what was your average raid DPS on that encounter and ilvl of your group, when you got the kill?

Here is ours all over the very short pulls. People are learning the fight and thus the pointless damage taken and what not (we know that we have to improve a lot in avoiding things).

I know that it all comes down in avoiding things, DPSing the right things and etc., but the very few goes we had on him last week, left the feeling that we were lacking the DPS (and well HPS, but this one can be made trivial by people avoiding things). Though 4 pulls is hardly enough to say anything.... As we couldn't get the first turtle down in time or got it down barely. And well ended up with few waves of turtles as well (not a pretty site)
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2013-03-28 at 09:03 AM.

i don't think the hps requirement can really be made trivial. quake stomp and its subsequent rockfall put out a hell of a lot of damage. the problem though is having your healers get off casts during that phase 'cause of the turtles and the running from blue circles.

wowprogress recorded our average ilvl as 499 for our down. i have no idea what the average dps was lol.

honestly during our first few tries we felt the same way too. but as people practiced more we got the hang of it, and started wiping to bats mowing down our monk healer instead (never get your warrior on the bats. put him on the damned boss).

I think if you got to that boss you can do it. It's not THAT easy, but with some training it plays out nicely. Maybe you want to make sure that everybody is not only stepping out of the circles, but move as far as possible away from the circles, because they will do less damage the farther you're away.

The biggest problem we had was awareness, this fight is purely control, we must have averaged around 499 on our first kill and that's all it was. Bat tank needs to be shit hot with cool downs and coordinate with healers if/when external CDs were needed. Healers need to be aware that the add tank must never drop below 350k hp, or this can cause a wipe pretty damn quick. The tank in torts just has to be aware of bite and aggro on the bats sometimes but that is it really for them.
    The melee have to kill bats, or, that's how we played it, drag into the melee range then aoe/cleave them down, kick any spare turtles at the bats/boss to get the debuff on them but be aware you need a shell for the roar. Then apart from that its simply avoid all damage where possible. Never get a direct hit from rockfall, avoid whirl turtles where possible, tanks need to cd rotate well and healers need to be aware of spiky damage.

Deleted
    Hi Sonnilion,
    if you downed council, you have more that is required for Tortos.
    That being said ... we spent there 3 nights! (did jin on the second pull, horridron after 3rd and council after an hour or so ... ) but this ... garr. Some general tips I can give you. Use HoP on healers during the stomp, (no stun - better heal). Make your lock (if you have any ... cant browse the logs at work ) glyph cur. of exh. and mass apply it on the turrtles ... in general the slower they move, the more chance on beating this boss.
    Alway focus the very first turtle down (also with the mele) as the first breth is quite soon.
    Make sure you focus the bats and that you kick a turtle into them as well.
    and ye ... except for that, try not to die for 5 mins

gl!

10+ Year Old Account
    Our first kill had something more or less like thishttp://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n...?s=6511&e=6935 Our avg ilvl ranges from 500-508 last I checked. Have your bat tank mark one of the turtles in the first turtle spawn so the dps have a focus. What we found worked for us was having the bat tank move the bats on top of our tortos tank after establishing threat, then the combined aoe from the tanks with their insane vengeance made the bats a joke to kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the tank DPS in your logs TEHPALLYTANK.

The chaos was probably too much at start and it will get better once we see the fight more (thank god for practically none-existent trash). But it just felt that the turtle marked with skull, didn't die fast enough. And our MW comment, "that is a lot of damage going on" sums the rest up ^^.

But the aim of this post was for me to find out that do we need more gear or not (we have not cleared T14 HC, just normal T14 clear). Are there any minimum HP needed people should have to survive certain things?

According to Wowprogress we have average of 497 ilvl.
    Tanks: both with 503
    Healers: 494(2 healers below 500, 2 over 500)-502
    DPS: 486-502 (5 people below 500, 3 over 500)

BTW what slows but the Ice Trap + Concussive Shot from Hunter work on turtles to slow them down? I tried typhoon, but that didn't have any effect.
    Last edited by Sonnillon; 2013-03-25 at 09:16 AM.

Deleted
    Warrior Shout will work, Warlock Aoe slow will work. I'm fairly sure most slows will.

We are more or less at your progression, with 2 people above 500 and most of us sitting at the high 490s. If you downed Council you have no concerns for this boss in terms of DPS. You merely have to execute it effectively.

We only attempted it twice after our Council kill and we got it down to 40%. We will try again tonight and I'm fairly confident we can down it as long as the same healers and rdps show up (they make or break this fight after all). Our setup:

Tanks: Brewmaster (on boss) Blood Deathknight (bats)
    Healers: Disc/Resto/Hpal
    MDPS: Assassination Rogue/WW Monk
    RDPS: x2 Survival Hunters/Elly Sham.

We have the the Blood DK stand relatively in the middle of the room as he can easily have taunt range on the bats as soon as they spawn. Range dps stand on the sides, in the water and just make sure they dps the turtles while avoiding them and pointless rock damage. Healers alternate between staying in the middle and the sides. Melee dps and the main tank stand on the side of Tortos to avoid turtle damage as soon as they come out. You can still target the boss from the water puddles on the sides closest to him and the rocks tend to not fall there at all (or perhaps less often).

Just get your kicking sorted and the fight should be fairly easy for you guys.

Use slows on the shells it helps a lot. Get the bats down asap (we assign 1 person to focus them right away, this being me the destro lock)

Use the whole room to your advantage! If you spread out a lot along the walls the shells have to travel far if they target someone across the room.

The bats can and should be stunned as much as possible or right before a quake if your not getting them down before it.

Eventually he will hit a point in the fight where he spawns turtles too fast to handle, you will want 1-2 turtles down for breathes and burn him at this point.

If your alliance and have humans in the raid make sure they use every man for himself on quakes to get out early.

Make sure the bat tank drags the bats into the other tank for extra uber cleaving! (Our tortos tank finished the fight as #2 dmg done because of the insane vengance)

Good luck hope this helps! Also avoid the turtles as best as you can when they are spinning all around but don't freak out if you get hit once or twice, its pretty chaotic sometimes.

Edit saw your logs, put the warrior on dpsing bats/tortos. Have the rogue help with Shruiken toss dps on turtles if you need the xtra dps if not tortos/bats , all range on turtles!
    I play many games. WoW, Rift, D3, PoE, SC2 I will not criticize your game choice if you don't mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnillon View Post
    BTW what slows but the Ice Trap + Concussive Shot from Hunter work on turtles to slow them down? I tried typhoon, but that didn't have any effect.
    You can use Faerie Swarm to slow the turtles

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a Protection warrior, put him on the boss and he can use Piercing Howl on every spawn as they come out; works like a charm.

I love the tank DPS in your logs TEHPALLYTANK.

The chaos was probably too much at start and it will get better once we see the fight more (thank god for practically none-existent trash). But it just felt that the turtle marked with skull, didn't die fast enough. And our MW comment, "that is a lot of damage going on" sums the rest up ^^.

But the aim of this post was for me to find out that do we need more gear or not (we have not cleared T14 HC, just normal T14 clear). Are there any minimum HP needed people should have to survive certain things?

According to Wowprogress we have average of 497 ilvl.
    Tanks: both with 503
    Healers: 494(2 healers below 500, 2 over 500)-502
    DPS: 486-502 (5 people below 500, 3 over 500)

i know your pain. my guild also only cleared T14 normal. the first week after getting roadblocked by council we did a HMSV run (4 bosses) to get some 502s to buff our ilvl. i think your ilvl should be decent enough to clear tortos, but you might wanna gear your dps-ers up abit more. for us, i think our healers are less geared than you, but our dps is slightly better.

our guardian tank symbs the hunter to get ice trap (i think), and he throws that in front of the boss. the hunter throws his near the back of the room (or something like that).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayEU View Post
    You can use Faerie Swarm to slow the turtles
    A very good tip ^^. TY

But we have (some mix and matching will happen due to people being available and what not)
    prot paladin, guardian druid
    2x resto druid, 1 mw monk, 1 resto shaman
    balance druid, hunter, arms warrior, fury warrior, mage, assassination rogue, 2x spriest

And no, we don't have any other classes to choose from (but if we did Horridon with just druid removing diseases with symbiosis from paladin+paladin helping, then setup is little important....).

---------- Post added 2013-03-25 at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by fooman View Post
    our guardian tank symbs the hunter to get ice trap (i think), and he throws that in front of the boss. the hunter throws his near the back of the room (or something like that).
    Very excellent idea.

Deleted
    We just killed it yesterday on 10 man. Our ilvl is maybe 500+.

Slow the turtles as much as possible, like everyone else have said.
    We had all ranged on them until they died, and make sure to mark one turtle to kill in the very first set.
    So you atleast get one turtle to interrupt with before the breath.

Had our 2 melee on bats all the time (atleast i think they were). They died nicely atleast.

We 2-healed it, Holy pally + resto druid, which also makes everything die much faster.

Log if you want to check; http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/j...?s=9390&e=9752

Echoing what the rest of the guys said, essentially this is an execution fight. You have the iLev to kill it, you just have to do it correctly.

Avoid blue circles (try to run about 6 yards away from the circles, don't just barely get out then stop). This is a major source of damage, that can easily be avoided. I know it can be difficult to think, "Well X may die if I don't get this heal off" but what you're really asking is, if X can also move, he wont take anymore damage for a few secs, so I can move, avoid this 200k dmg, and then just heal him up. Have your raid leader (or just anyone with good concentration) to just stare at DBM and call out when they are coming, and keep calling it out over and over as it's happening. It's amazing how often people simply forget, if you call out 'circles in 5' in 10s they've already forgotten, so keep calling it out for them.

As well as that, get your Druid's to spec for Fairy Fire slow, mark the very first turtle that comes out with a skull, ensure all DPS switch it it (inc melee for the very first turtle), get the slow on it, and job done. Make sure your add tank is also trying to DPS it, it all counts, and it's only the first one that really must go down fast (you can keep the others there until after the second wave, simply so you have a safety net, i.e. you won't need to burst the first turtle down, you can just have people dot em all up and get them down when they can.

In my experience as a Guardian druid here (tanking adds) I take very little dmg tbh... (iLev 510). Ensure he has built up some rage, so he can have very good uptime on Savage Defense whilst tanking the bats, and just tell your DPS to get the turtles down first, essentially ignore the bats, until the turtles are down. Doing this though, you must ensure your raid isn't taking unnecessary damage, keep the bat tank topped up.

What could also help (if you're having problems getting the first turtle down in time for the first breath, is have your guardian druid to spec HotW, pre-pot on the pull, BL, it will still be up when the first turtles come, and he can just Wrath spam the first turtle, I do 300k crits with Wrath... it will help, immensely. My HotW was still up after all of our turtles went down, then I was ready to tank the bats again.

I saw on your longest attempt that your guradian took 249773 dmg from Drain the Weak (attack bats do when your tank isn't above 350k), try to keep him topped up, ensure he's using a CD for the Quake stomp if bats are still alive.

bThis is an overview of your raids' deaths, way way too many from Rockfall <_>
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/n...?s=9206&e=9310

Here is the log from my first kill:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=3030&e=3291

Best of luck!

Deleted
    Our first kill was 6:00 minutes and we had 950k total dps, though 340k or so was from the 2 tanks (lol AoE). Our ilvl was probably slightly over 500 at the time.
    Just make sure to prioritize any adds, especially the first turtle because you need to kick him rather quick. After that it's pretty much add priority over anything and only attack the boss when everything else is up (apart from cleaving him with the bats I suppose).
    If you're a bit low on dps make sure to not stun the bats (more vengeance) and drag them over to tortos, and kick a shell through them everytime so it'll also hit tortos. They'll melt down pretty much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine View Post
    If you have a Protection warrior, put him on the boss and he can use Piercing Howl on every spawn as they come out; works like a charm.
    He can do that too while tanking the bats.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8901&e=9305

These were our logs. We are far from great. Average ilevel is prolly just over 500 now.

Stick with it, our first few pulls were completely "wtf just happened" too.

We've 2 healed all the fights up to this one but went 3 heals for it. It just gave us a better margin for error.

Key points:
    - It's all execution
    - Get that first turtle down double quicktime for the first kick or its a wipe
    - Slow turtles, work out who marks the first one to die and all dps nuke it, comp dictates who needs to kill them from there on
    - Assign a backup kicker
    - We had 3 dps on turtles and 2 on bats

Once you establish a rythm its not too bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the feedback. It is good to hear that with our rough iLvL we have a chance in killing it. Better gear won't never hurt though.

I will talent FF and if the DPS is not enough from the raid (will suggest it for the druids as well), I will take HotW as well (need to dust my 463 caster wep. then). Anything to make any progress.

But 2 healing... There is probably no room for error then. I guess for now, it will be 3 healers (3 healed all other bosses up to Tortos). With 3 healing it would be best approach then to assign 1 main healer for bat tank then, just in case.

Eh as long as both Resto's keep 3x LB on you, you'll be fine most likely (as well as healing you where necessary). I'd advise staying with 3 healers for your first kill (even we did) though we've since also dropped down to 2. For learning the encounter it's nice to have the extra healing for inevitable fuckups.