Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Quote Originally Posted by FinalDestonaion View Post
    Finally killed him. Heart beating so fast. My last attempt (before this one) I got him down to 5%. I was so angry I went to sleep. I wake up, 1 attempt and boom. He's dead and I have my green fire. Oh man, I'm just so happy right now. After so much heartbreak I finally beat him.

:*D

Now I just need to find a set that matches my green fire.

If you can get the challenge mode gear, simply amazing on my undead warlock

I finally killed him and died basically at the same time. I respawned after the npc chatter and was able to click kal for the green fire, which is all I care about, but was unable to turn in the quest. I wiped all weekend so have no intent on doing it again for quest completion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zinnin View Post
    You don't even have to hit it on cooldown, every wave is Adds - Chaos Bolt - Cataclysm, so just go through gateway about 5s after the summon is over with and your fine. I've done it avoiding Chaos Bolt by forcing Pit Lord to tank and just absorbing them with SacPact, I have never done the LoS strat and personally think it is a huge waste of time, if you are aware enough to LoS chaos bolt you are aware enough to press cooldowns.
    I LoSed the Chaos Bolts, because I avoided dispelling his Aura of Omnipotence as much as possible to abuse the 15% damage taken. I don't think there's actually that much in it, I felt Sac Pact was a bit of a gamble if you found yourself on low health while he was casting CB, while LoSing was only gambling on Gateway not bugging out, meanwhile I was able to pick up Soul Link for more general survivability.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, but that worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thelm View Post
    To turn it off, you have to go to Altar of Damnation Shadowmoon Valley and talk to someone (I forget their name). It costs 500g. To turn it back on, you just talk to Kanrethad at the Altar of Damnation, and it gets channeled back into you.
    Excellent, thank you!

Deleted
    I finally beat Kanrethad at 485 ilvl. Would just like to say thank you to all the warlocks who contributed in this thead (and other threads). You rock.

Finally beat it...

For people who were upset about Chaos Bolts, and this was ultimately my problem as well, use Demonic Gateway as much as you possibly can. And abuse the shit out of Soulshatter. This will cause him to basically stop bothering you completely outside of putting his dots on you. The result is that he will not Chaos Bolt you. I repeat, he will not Chaos Bolt you. I think Kanrethad's script breaks down when he tries to cast Chaos Bolt but you do not have highest aggro. He will start casting it for a second or two, and then stop. My micro isn't that great, so my problem was that during the Felhunter phase, it would be so chaotic that a Chaos Bolt would slip through. When that was taken out of the equation, my first attempt was a kill.

Still, the fight is ridiculously stupid in terms of how unforgivable that is. Some people might think it is justifiably hard, but for a cosmetic change, and one that once was given to you just by a minor glyph, I still do not. I still think they should take out a Felhunter and/or lower his health a bit.

On my Youtube channel (Which you can see from my account), I do mostly lore-based stuff, so I recorded the Warlock Green Fire chain, because its lorerific, and I'm uploading my version of the kill now. I'll post it in here like the others.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-03-26 at 11:36 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I LoSed the Chaos Bolts, because I avoided dispelling his Aura of Omnipotence as much as possible to abuse the 15% damage taken.
    Suddenly my "strategy" of dispelling that constantly by keeping the pitlord on him and just jumping into the breath when I wanted a dispel seems far less genius. I could probably have killed him before his second imp phase, let alone second felhunter phase if I'd read the bloody tooltip properly and realised it increased his damage taken too.

Bugger.

Deleted
    Thanks everybody for your tips and tricks. Finally beat him! (@ilvl 491)
    Key points for me was:

1. Felhunters sequence = Remove debuffs, (heal), hide Pit Lord, Soulshatter before they spawn, Unending Resolve up,
    RoFx2-3, Chaos bolt first, havoc it, chaos bolt next, Shadowfury stun. _finish them_.
    2. Singe Magic over Pit Lords dispel (because his hurts you). Unbound Will if you must.
    3. Use gateway to LOS Chaos Bolt, and demonic circle to get back quicker. For me this helped because I didn't have to worry about my HP.
    4. Use Charge more freely (for DPS increase), but know when you need to save it.

Good luck all, and congrats to all who have finished it!
    I think the tuning was just right.

Here is my video where he doesn't even start casting Chaos Bolt a single time:

Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-03-26 at 02:36 PM.

Well i worked at this several hours last night with the new littlewigs add on, (It helped alot) got further then i ever have. I should be able to down him soon, just need to get a lucky break on the second felpuppy stage.

Did solidify my strategy in some parts and wanted to offer advice to people still working on this.

1) I originally was moving around way too much. Put your gateway entrance and exit as close together as you can on one side of the big gate. you dont want to jump across or use it as a movement method. its only there to cut aggro. before i was using it to leap to the pillar to LOS and that was a receipe for disaster cause if it was on cooldown i was screwed and way too far to LOS it.

2) you should not have to LOS chaos bolts EXCEPT during the felhunter stage. if you send the pit lord away from you, and he hasnt gotten enough aggro to keep the CB's from coming at me, i try to pull the puppies behind a pillar to finish them off. ken usually shows up around the pillar if i do, so this part of the strat needs work. i just need to be able to eliminate the puppies faster.

heres what the beginning of my fight looks like:

Fight starts
    pre-pot, CoE RoF DI immolate conflag conflag incinx1 RoF incin x3 CB CB incin until demon comes out Keep Rof up

enslave demon, attack ken with demon, immediately jump in the gateway. Ken completely ignores me at this point.

I get some incins RoF conflags, general damage to build embers, on cooldown, jump in the gateway again. this should be at about the same time he is about to cast his first CB, but he wont start casting it. then he does his false cataclysm, then imps. demonic gateway on every cooldown except when you use the stun and CB him twice...time your cooldown to gateway as soon as you launch your second CB. he still shouldnt have attacked you at all. I've gone until after the first imp stage without him casting ultimate doom on me.

imp stage i usually target the first imp, have the pit lord attack it meele, then walk and stand just behind the gate entrance using demonic siphon to keep myself up, then shadowfury to stun the imps that are out, then pit lord breath on myself to sweep the imps and get aggro, then i gateway. at this point you can CB ken continuously using RoF on the imps to keep embers up..HOWEVER you want to be careful because you want to start building up embers for the felpuppy stage. after he cataclysms I get one CB off, finish off the imps, then send the pit lord to the right side of the area, and when ken starts to summon the puppies RoF the gate while i move tward the left side of the room near the pillar that i can LoS ken during the fight with the puppies. This is the dangerous part because if you sent the pit lord away too early and ken has started putting dots on you, you may have that stupid black hole pop while your behind the pillar fighting the puppies and this pretty much means death. try to remember to hop in the gateway then get the pit lord to clean your debuffs before you send him to the other side the room but timing this can be a pain.

if i can kill the puppies without enslave breaking then i start moving back into the center of the area, and as soon as he starts to cata, hit my macro that has the pet charge him. then put him back on ken meele. He starts to summon doomlord, have pet hit doomlord once, then hop in the gateway and put him back on ken. ignore the doomlord from now forward. after he does his cata in this stage is a good time to dismiss pet and reenslave the pit lord.

new imp stage. same as before but heres where it gets messy for me. sometimes i dont get all the imps down, but almost always the problem is that i forgot to dismiss and reenslave the pit lord and it breaks right as im fighting the puppies or the puppies break the enslave and i have to deal with him at the same time im trying to down the puppies which is pretty much a wipe.

I also sometimes take too long fighting the puppies and he starts to cata. my macro can take care of that IF the pit lord is still enslaved but the puppies love to break my enslave right before the cata begins, so i dont have time to reenslave and charge.

Oh, and if you need a little more dps and can find someone who has it. (not sure if it can still be made), someone had one of these in her bank to give me:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=49633#comments

gives small version of the stats buff...about 800-1000 int increase on top of flask.
    Last edited by Shodan30; 2013-03-26 at 02:26 PM.

Deleted
    REMEMBER TO RE-ENSLAVE!

For like 10 tries straight now I ran into the problem of my pitlord being freed in the 2nd felhunter phase... or so I thought. Just now I remembered that the damn Enslave runs out....

And remember to rep... One try, everything went right, but my damage was curiously low, he was still at 46%... well, my gear was completely red.

I finally beat him! .. Kinda... I died to a Shadowbolt at 1%, 319k HP left.... Of course I *AGAIN* forgot to Soul Shatter in that last 3rd imp Burning phase. I did everything there, I had the Pitlord heal me, debuff me, put new RoFs on the imps from time to time and Shadowburned the hell out of Kanrethad. But the *one* thing I forgot was to Soulshatter (not using the portals in that phase, so Soulshatter is necessary). -.- BUT The event started.

I could click him, I got the Green Fire! The event started! Rezzed, headed right back.

But the quest still says 0/1 Defeat Kanrethad and I can't finish it at Jubeka.

Wrote a GM ticket, hopefully they can update the quest so it's really finished, don't wanna have it bug out and remove my green fire again. If they can't do that I guess I'll head back when I'm a bit better geared and finish the quest, all official like, just to be done with it.
    Last edited by mmoca812163483; 2013-03-26 at 02:54 PM.

Deleted
    6% wipe. I could of cried, when i got to like 20% i was in panic mode and i got like OMG OMG OMG WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT and then i was panicking so much below 10% and i wasn't paying attention omg i wanna kill a kitten

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnylove View Post
    omg i wanna kill a kitten
    No, you don't!

You want a nice cup of tea, and some soothing music, and some, deep, deep breathing, and then possibly to try again. Hurting kittens is not an option, not even for an evil twisted, powerhungry Warlock. We have standerds you know.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    No, you don't!

You want a nice cup of tea, and some soothing music, and some, deep, deep breathing, and then possibly to try again. Hurting kittens is not an option, not even for an evil twisted, powerhungry Warlock. We have standerds you know.
    Will a gnome do?

Ahhh I want to try it but it looks so stressful!

I haven't read through the thread but got a question. Is the aim of the fight to use the right abilities at the right time? Skimmed a bit and seeing things about LoSing casts and moving around with gateway and... Stuff...

Will the average Joe be able to pull this off?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenexis View Post
    will a gnome do?
    i am a gnome d:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinnylove View Post
    i am a gnome d:
    Then the ritual has been completed , Gnome was sacrificed... you should be able to get it now.

NEVER ever ever ever ever... let yourself go panic mode, is where you loose the fight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pkm View Post
    Ahhh I want to try it but it looks so stressful!

I haven't read through the thread but got a question. Is the aim of the fight to use the right abilities at the right time? Skimmed a bit and seeing things about LoSing casts and moving around with gateway and... Stuff...

Will the average Joe be able to pull this off?
    It'll take a lot of practice imo. My warlock is only an alt so I don't have as much practice as Warlock-Main players (the warlock, ilvl 510 or so at the time, in our raid said he got this thing down on the 2nd try, which, good as he is, I just can't believe) and it took me a long time, 100+ tries doesn't sound unrealistic. It's using the right abilities (yours and your pitlord's) at the right time, reacting perfectly to everything going on in the fight.

Knowing which mob does what and when. Knowing when you can afford to charge the boss and hit him with a few more powerful Chaos Bolts. Doing that badly will lead to either Charge being on cooldown when the boss casts Cataclysm, which is insta-death, or e.g. not having enough Burning Embers to burn the Felhunters down fast enough.

My main problems, once I got over the initial "oh shit oh shit oh shit" and various other problems:

Forgetting to re-enslave the Pitlord.
    Forgetting to use Soulshatter at the right time (right before the Felhunters)
    Forgetting to reset aggro often enough.

In the end the most consistent problem was being killed by Chaos Bolt, and that was mostly when my Enslave just ended, wasn't even dispelled. And of course, in the 20% - 0% burn phase, being too nervous and just smashing buttons, not reacting correctly anymore.

The problem is, if you mess up just one thing the whole fight is blown imo. Forget to dispell an Terrible Destruction and being stuck with one of its nasty side effects, the annoying imp or the black hole can really mess up the fight, it just gets too hectic. Forget to use Soulshatter before the Felhunters and the boss will cast Chaos Bolt on you during the Felhunter phase which you *really* don't need.

You also need good DPS. In my 497 gear I still used the purification potion because I was at less than 60 seconds left on the Curse of Doom some time before the 20% burn phase started.

I lost a lot of dps time on the boss during the Imp and the Felhunter phases, I just can't get them down as fast as other people in their videos. I lay down a few RoF on the imps but it feels like there's no end to them. I have the Pitlord charge and fel breath them, have my RoF on them, put one or two FoB Incinerates on them for damage and the nice shield. And when I think the phase is over, there's another 10-20 respawning which I have to deal with. It just takes too bloody long.
    Same for the Felhunters. Some tries I burn them down in no time, other tries Kanrethad started his Cataclysm with one dog still up.

And there's more, so much more to this fight.... I was glad it was a hard fight and I believed only "the bads" whined about it being too hard and I'd clear it in a few tries.... boy was I wrong. Either I'm one of "the bads" (entirely possible) or it's really so, so hard.

The biggest thing is - following the tips you can find in various guides for this fight, and learning the fight. Getting the routine down, getting used to it, knowing everything that's gonna happen. And never panic, especially in the burn phase. Nothing sucks quite as much as wiping at like 5% or 1% because you paniced and messed up something.

edit: K, done, got him down a second time, this time properly, to 1HP, getting his Demonic Grasp and everything. Pretty sure I forgot to pull Soulshatter in the burn phase again, though, phew... Something that helped - Shadowburn macro. With resetting RoF on the imps a bit I sometimes would click the pitlord or a doomguard etc. when I tried to burn Kanrethad. Just /target kanrethad /cast Shadowburn - helped a ton, you can just spam that button and concentrate on other things going on.
    Last edited by mmoca812163483; 2013-03-26 at 05:52 PM.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Did they already increase the drop rate? I've had 2 Tomes drop for me in the same day.

Deleted
    Quick question:

Those still on the quest - can you enter regular Black Temple? Cause that's a bug I experienced, I couldn't.

Those who finished it - when you enter regular Black Temple, is it bugged for you? Cause I just did and it's completely empty, no mobs, no bosses, nothing. And I hadn't been in there yet this id.