5.3 Mage Changes

Mage
    Arcane Brilliance now costs 1% of base mana, down from 4%.
    Dalaran Brilliance now costs 1% of base mana, down from 4%.
    Frostbolt healing and SP scaling increased by 15%.

Talents
    Ice Floes now has a 15 sec duration.

Frost
    Frostbolt damage and SP scaling increased by 15%.
    I'll be interested to see if Blizz eventually drops the debuff stacking in tandem with this change with the end result that, while Frost's target switching would no longer be penalized, it wouldn't increase overall DPS by that much.

We already have a topic for this, Swizzle will presumably unlock it when there is actually something to comment on

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    We already have a topic for this, Swizzle will presumably unlock it when there is actually something to comment on
    Frostbolt is now further stronger than Fireball.

That's something to comment on.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The frost bolt debuff increases damage from ice lance and your water elemental's attack. If they take away the debuff, that could be a nerf to single target damage.

I don't know why they're buffing frost bolt though. I thought damage was fine. There's probably more changes coming so its hard to judge this on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by redbaronz View Post
    The frost bolt debuff increases damage from ice lance and your water elemental's attack. If they take away the debuff, that could be a nerf to single target damage.

I don't know why they're buffing frost bolt though. I thought damage was fine. There's probably more changes coming so its hard to judge this on it's own.
    The debuff also increases Frostbolt damage, which THAT part will probably be removed. Ice Lance and WE damage won't lose Debuff benefit. Overall, it's a buff.

They're buffing FB because Frost is still a tad low.

There needs to be more changes to Arcane if anything, and we can probably expect a CM nerf to Fire.. -_-;
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    They really need to remove the 2 spells restriction from Ice Flows for Arcane, make it equal to Spiritwalker's Grace.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    and we can probably expect a CM nerf to Fire.. -_-;
    OMG... I can already see it coming...

When I thought I could finally look forward to playing fire without any frustration with LFR+VP gear, they nerf CM again.
    That would be a nightmare...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    we can probably expect a CM nerf to Fire.. -_-;
    More than deserved tbh, Fire dps at 515+ is getting ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    So.. why aren't fire mages topping then? Sure fire dps is good at 515+, but its hardly gamebreaking. At least if you take into account fire's AoE. Then again its just my PoV.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much. You'd think they'd learn that a spec that scales from crit will repeatedly have the same problem of being gated behind gear and then scaling ridiculously well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

yeah, numbers on worldoflogs.com reflect that. oh wait, they don't. mhhh. let's do the 1+1. you are making things up, business as usual.

I suspect that they'll switch to a non-linear formula for CM. If it doesn't happen in 5.3, they'll further nerf Pyroblast and make it happen in 5.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyllis View Post
    I suspect that they'll switch to a non-linear formula for CM. If it doesn't happen in 5.3, they'll further nerf Pyroblast and make it happen in 5.4.
    Maybe, though most likely thing is that they will just itemize next patch so we wont get as much crit.. That way we wouldn't nerdrage and wouldn't get out of hand either..

So what about pre 515? Or pre 485? Or 460?

484 mage, and in Fire my DPS is just shy of halved by swapping from Frost. It's completely and utterly unplayable at 484 right now.

Ghostcrawler said on Twitter that these class changes were wrong, they were not in 5.3 and pretty much no class is planned to be changed in 5.3

Why are people still talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Ghostcrawler said on Twitter that these class changes were wrong, they were not in 5.3 and pretty much no class is planned to be changed in 5.3

Why are people still talking about it.
    He said, almost no class changes were coming.. So we might get caught with our pants down again

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    yea what imnick said :P

im bit confused with why blizz even made CM in first place ?_? i mean its very nice at start of expansion but it gets really hard to balance it every single tier
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulstrike View Post
    yea what imnick said :P

im bit confused with why blizz even made CM in first place ?_? i mean its very nice at start of expansion but it gets really hard to balance it every single tier
    Critical Mass was originally a talent that was a flat percentage increase of critical strike, designed to give Fire mages increased Ignite uptime when it was still tied to critical strikes, and later on to smooth out procs of Hot Streak when that was introduced. Later on it became a raid-wide debuff applied by Scorch and Pyroblast.

The problem is not with Critical Mass, it's the fact that Fire depends on critical strike. This introduces an issue where DPS isn't competitive below a certain level of crit. But once that threshold is reached, Fire scales extremely well; not only because crit retains a constant value, but because Intellect, our primary stat, also increases spell crit. This is why Fire tends to end up overpowered at later tiers in an expansion.

The current incarnation of Critical Mass was in fact designed to get around this problem by providing a passive bonus that could be tweaked in order to keep Fire from scaling too well. But, as we know, this merely furthers the gear gate and is punitive to people that try to play Fire below a certain crit level. This problem has been known for quite some time; point of fact in Cataclysm, the Hot Streak talent was designed so that single crits had a certain chance to proc an instant Pyroblast, the two-crit functionality being unlocked with the Improved Hot Streak talent.

After several expansion of Fire's scaling issues, I really think it's time we re-evaluate untying Fire from critical strike and giving it a flat proc percentage for Hot Streak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    A datamined change to Frostbolt and everyone is talking about Critical Mass...there's a reason I kept the other thread locked. Wait till there's something to actually discuss. Speculation is just annoying.
    BfA Beta Time