Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Can ? Yes of course. Will it happen ? Nope.

I've used AHK since ICC, haven't been banned ever.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

You can really F your hands up from repeated spamming over many hours a day. In diablo3 they did it right, they built in spamming just hold down an action key and it will repeat. But for some reason in WoW they wan't you to F your hands up by mashing buttons every sec of every night. Especially on raiders who play 4+ hours/night.

Not everyone is 20 years old and can abuse their hands and not have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    First they'd have to catch you, then they'd have to care.
    well... its a very easy task to include some programming in the client or server side that checks how many keypresses a second you do... and this can clearly tell them if you use an automation like this or not.

and if this has a negative impact on their servers (e.g. lag, crashes) they will care...

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    you can but there's no effective way to track it considering money keyboards can do it by default

Quote Originally Posted by scelero View Post
    You won't. Tons of people use it not only for WoW but for Diablo. You can macro the same stuff to blizzard mouse devices and how can they ban you for doing something their hardware/software allows.

They're not watching to see how fast people spam a button, look at Asians play Starcraft....
    They don't have to look at you spamming, they can tell the difference between wether it's a program sending the key presses or the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by klausistklaus View Post
    You can/will get banned for automisation ("botting"), not using a software spamming the very same button a few times in a row.
    That is the same thing...
    Bots: You press one button and do doing a bunch of action for you for example fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    They don't have to look at you spamming, they can tell the difference between wether it's a program sending the key presses or the hardware.
    There are ways to get around that even in simple scripting language such as Autohotkey (as long you are not using really old versions).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exorte View Post
    That is the same thing...
    Bots: You press one button and do doing a bunch of action for you for example fishing.
    No it's not. In Kripp's video he pressed one key (which was duplicated numerous times) but at the end only 1 action was done.
    It's not the same as a fishing bot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

I use it for trash, cause screw da trash.

"One hardware action = one software key press per client"
    Can you source this claim? It's an important distinction and I'd like to cite it. I've managed to find official sources for the "1-click = 1-action" dogma (ie: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1535615049#6), but nothing for your more specific claim.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2013-03-27 at 05:44 PM.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evilcow View Post
    You CAN get banned, but i doubt you will.
    You can get banned, and I know people who were banned for it. The rule is one global cooldown/action per one keypress.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Can you source this claim? It's an important distinction and I'd like to cite it. I've managed to find official sources for the "1-click = 1-action" dogma, but nothing for your more specific claim.
    wait 1 minute. I know there's a blue post about it. There was a huge fight about it in the D3 forums a bit ago

EDIT: It's talking about multiboxing, but their stance remains the same in regards to 1 keypress= 1 action
    Last edited by WskyDK; 2013-03-27 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RunItsTheFuz View Post
    No it's not. In Kripp's video he pressed one key (which was duplicated numerous times) but at the end only 1 action was done.
    It's not the same as a fishing bot.
    automation is one action result multiple action.
    In this case one key press becomes multiple key press, same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exorte View Post
    automation is one action result multiple action.
    In this case one key press becomes multiple key press, same thing.
    it's no different then changing the repeat rate on your keyboard

EDIT: Something that can be done via the OS
    Easy peasy

Is bannable. Yes. Will you get banned. Probably not.

I appreciate the link - it looks promising but doesn't provide original sources (the links in the article are useless self-promotion). I doubt links to old blue posts would be any good now now given that the original forums were torn down years ago but even cached versions would be fine. Do you know of anything more concrete? I'd rather read what blizzard reps have said rather than what a fan site wrote back when Bush was president. There are no direct quotes in the page you linked - though the paraphrase/summary does appear to support Treestons position. It also doesn't comment on what exactly "1 keystroke" means (is it one key_down event as polled by the USB HCI driver/keyboard interrupt or do they mean one fat-fingered nerd pushing down on the button?).

EDIT: Something that can be done via the OS
    Easy peasy
    Repeat rate is a setting that changes the behaviour of controls like text boxes. It doesn't change the number of key_up/key_down events sent to games. Pick any IDE, create a text area, register for key up/down events in an event listener but don't trap them. Hold down while the text area focused. Watch the events triggered in the debugger. You'll see that you only get 1 up/down event pair for each press/release of the key.

The repeated characters or rapid scrolling you see doesn't mean additional events are generated as they are with drivers that "spam" keys. If it did work this way then press+hold on the "jump" button would make you bounce like a rabbit: it doesn't.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2013-03-27 at 06:01 PM.

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks-very much. So at least we can be sure multiple clients form a single keyboard is okay.
    My google-fu seems to be weak today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks-very much. So at least we can be sure multiple clients form a single keyboard is okay.
    My google-fu seems to be weak today.
    reposting link here since my posting got crazy so I just deleted everything
    Link
    It's all good, I knew where to look because of the D3 multiboxing issues.
    Good to know about the refresh rate thing too

Quote Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
    If this is true then there are alot of keyboards that should be ban because many have that capability...
    its not the keyboard that should be banned. byt the people using that function of it.

same as a dvd burner. the burner it self doesn;t do anyting illigal. what 99% of the pople use it for is. but that should not make the dvd burners illigal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post
    its not the keyboard that should be banned. byt the people using that function of it.

same as a dvd burner. the burner it self doesn;t do anyting illigal. what 99% of the pople use it for is. but that should not make the dvd burners illigal
    |
    The same could be said for another hot button issue in the U.S. right now.
    Back on topic: Part of the problem is that Blizzard is rather vague on their stance with certain hardware/software. Case in Point Kripparian, he likely won't ever get banned for using AHK (largely due to the publicity he brings to Blizzard products.) whereas joe shmoe MIGHT for using it in the same way. (We'll never know because people tend to be horribly dishonest when they get banned)