Yay, a compatriot for underwater stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    I actually had to double check I was remembering Rift's lore correctly because your version did not sound familiar at all. O_o

The Blood Storm move from world to world and consume/destroy it. This is not dissimilar to GW2's dragons who are repeatedly stated to be "destruction" and not satisfied until all life on Tyria is consumed.

The dragons also share an elemental background, "primal forces of nature" vs. "six essential forces" is not all that different either. Regulos/Zhaitan = death, Maelforge/Primordus = fire, etc. They all have their cultists/minions who usually share in whatever element they represent.
    The only similarity is that they are called "dragons" and are associated with elements. Out-worldly gods [rift] != dragons intrinsic to the world [gw2].

The Bloodstorm are more like the Burning Legion; intergalactic, transplanar. The GW2 dragons are like... seasonal tidal waves or a tsunami. They are a force of nature. Not out-worldly entities from what is stated in-game.

Also the peoples of Telera are accomplices to coming of the Bloodstorm; the ward, the veil and the infinity gate and time travel. The peoples of Tyria are not accomplices to the awakening of the dragons, per se.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-03-27 at 08:31 PM.

I don't see the "entirety" when I'm playing the game. When it comes down to it I'm back in yet another undead-filled end game zone, having to face yet another undead antagonist, spamming #1 on the millionth undead I've fought between WoW, Rift, and GW2. It's old.

Maybe if I had played GW1 first it would have made a difference, I don't know. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that I like to see and experience different things in different games, especially new games where everything should be, "Shiny!" I'm not an MMO connoisseur by any means, but of the 4 I've played in the past 5 years the only one that was a vast departure from anything else I'd seen was Tera and as far as I know it's still considered to be "fantasy".

Or at least, not knowing and willing accomplices. While we know Primordus' awakening was delayed by killing the Great Destroyer, afaik we don't know what actually caused him (the Great Destroyer) to awaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

I don't see the "entirety" when I'm playing the game. When it comes down to it I'm back in yet another undead-filled end game zone, having to face yet another undead antagonist, spamming #1 on the millionth undead I've fought between WoW, Rift, and GW2. It's old.
    No, you are seeing things in the broad sense. Not entirety. As the latter implies knowing intricacy as well.

As some one above pointed out; "They both control undead. Carbon copy!"

That is what is called a high level view.

Well I think that explains the disconnect, Lane. Antagonists, and generic mobs, and settings, are all related to the story of a game. If you ignore the story, then the other components lose meaning. Some games, that's fine, because story, while present, isn't as central (particularly in the open world); though generic mobs will still be just that, generic mobs.

TL;DR: Context matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Well, come on, you can have bandits and not have them look exactly like Defias and coincidentally be one of the main points of conflict in the human zones. :P
    Main points? I'd barely consider them a side note to the hordes and hordes and hordes of centaurs one wades through in the human zones.

Yeah, bandits are a sidenote, a distraction at best. The centaurs are the main antagonists in Kryta.

Guys and gals, sry to break the topic, but i just cant figure out the correct corse of action. Buying molten and destroyer lodestones for Volcanus will cost me 400g. The rest shouldnt be a major problem, i already got Gift of Baelfire so yea, but buying Volcanus off the TP will cost me 490g and farming the lodestones would take me forever. What should i do? Just grind money to buy the lodestones or farm cores from dungeons?

GW2 isn't so great for that, though. I am usually all about game lore. I read quest text and if I find the world interesting enough I'll often look for more sources of lore outside the game. However, as someone who didn't play GW1, and GW2 having no quest text to read, what I know has predominantly come from the personal story (which of course focuses heavily on Zhaitan and the undead).

The only thing I've found interesting lore-wise in GW2 thus far is the history of Orr and I probably wouldn't have even bothered to look that up if it hadn't been presented in bits and pieces to me in the personal story.

I really don't know how much difference it would have made though. I knew Rift's lore and it didn't make Regulos and his undead any more interesting. Maybe we should find a different example because I am so over dragons and undead in any way, shape, or form at this point in my gaming. :P

While there isn't any quest text, per se, there is plenty of lore spread among the various NPCs of the world.

And if you're done with dragons and undead...RPGs probably aren't for you anymore

Well I do agree that the lore should have been better presented in GW2, Lane. I was excited when I first got the game with all of the books you could select in game but that quickly disappointed when all the books just had 1 or 2 sentences at most.

In GW1 the missions were an excellent way of telling the story and lore of the world. Sadly there isn't anything that does that in GW2. Perhaps these living stories are a step toward that.

Might be a factor of intimacy with the Guild Wars lore from alpha to current; but I feel Guild Wars is the BEST MMO lore around.

I have read like 2 or 3 quest boxes in Warcraft. And gave zero fucks about anything in that game.

Rift, Tera, EQ... what-fucking-ever.

Reading the gravestones in Ebonhawke? FEELS. Oh god, the feels.

Gwens gravestone made me a bit mistyeyed the first time, even though I hated her in GW1.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Yay, a compatriot for underwater stuff
    Some things need to change though, like aggro radius seems off (like I pull a shit ton of mobs that come out of nowhere). But I welcome underwater content.

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 08:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Gwens gravestone made me a bit mistyeyed the first time, even though I hated her in GW1.
    I saw joras statue in eirs home and I was like... oh my gosh... I wanted to cry.

Gwen's a bitch though XD

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Might be a factor of intimacy with the Guild Wars lore from alpha to current; but I feel Guild Wars is the BEST MMO lore around.

I have read like 2 or 3 quest boxes in Warcraft. And gave zero fucks about anything in that game.

Rift, Tera, EQ... what-fucking-ever.

If GW is the best lore, they quite possibly do the absolute worst job of actually telling the story - from a non-GW1 player I know very little playing GW2.

Love it or hate it, WoW lore is leagues more interesting...and apparently Blizzard does a much better job at telling it.

GW2 has basically been reduced to a watch the dragon timer game...so compelling!

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    And if you're done with dragons and undead...RPGs probably aren't for you anymore
    I don't know. I haven't run into either (or at least in such small amounts I don't recall) in console RPGs. Tera didn't have either. Elder Scrolls doesn't look promising in that respect, but some others do like Wildstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I was that way with WoW, up until Cataclysm caused me to cease to care about anything that was happening in the world anymore. >_> Off-topic, but I really miss vanilla WoW. I wish they had a f2p server for 1-60 of vanilla. o/~ Memories o/~

Wow has interesting lore? All I saw was cliche after cliche and some more cliche. Terribly disappointing

Gwen and Livia could duo the entire game for you.

Gwen = best interrupter NA.

Quote Originally Posted by azurrei View Post
    If GW is the best lore, they quite possibly do the absolute worst job of actually telling the story - from a non-GW1 player I know very little playing GW2.

Love it or hate it, WoW lore is leagues more interesting...and apparently Blizzard does a much better job at telling it.

GW2 has basically been reduced to a watch the dragon timer game...so compelling!
    GW1 missions were the best way, in any game, of telling the story. Period. The personal story in GW2 tries to have this feeling but it's lacking.