Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Resistance gear is just bad design, needing another set specificly for 1-2 fights? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    I'm at your side.
    But: if we had - let's say - two optinal bosses, that are not mandatory to get to the end boss; how about putting that fight on a resistance basis? Like Ignis: he was not mandatory to get to Yogg-Saron and as being the furnace keeper, you could have needed fire resistance gear. Same for Iron Council: to defeat at least the hard mode, you could be forced to get nature resistance.

So no one could complain about not being able getting to the end boss but to kill the optional bosses, you need to farm some special gear.
    Also, nobody would ever fucking do those bosses. Ever.

I know that if we needed Fire Resists for Ignis, i'd suggested we just skip him all the time and to hell with people that needed gear from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Also, nobody would ever fucking do those bosses. Ever.

I know that if we needed Fire Resists for Ignis, i'd suggested we just skip him all the time and to hell with people that needed gear from him.
    Skipping a challenge because there's no loot? No real raider would do that.

Why do people insist on rose tinted glassing some of the worst aspects of WoW? Resistance gating was awful. It was bad. It was in no way a good idea to be brought back or even worth remembering as anything worthy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazorf View Post
    Don't know what fun there's to be forced to collect a specific kind of gear in order to do a single boss.
    Oh, but it was SOOO much fun to endlessly run Maraudon to collect nature res gear for Huhuran.
    /sarcasm

No. Nonono. No. Never, ever again.

Resistance fights and per-player attunements were the two most frustrating things I ever had to deal with as a recruiting officer. Grabbing people because we were desperate for bodies of Class Y, even though the answers to "Do you have you X Resist set?" and "Are you keyed for A, B and C?" were invariably "NOPE!".

Deleted
    I liked that kind of gating because it wasn't "real" gating like nowadays. You had this big freaking boss which will just burn you to death if you didn't have any fire resistance for example. That just seems realistic to me. Now there is just a stupid door or whatever and we can't destroy that thing?

A little bit offtopic but its the same thing with spells: you can kill a fire elemental with fire spells, thats just wrong, the elemental should be immune to fire but take double the damage from frostspells..

(but thats just my opinion and please stop with that rose colored glasses shit, its just annoying because half the people throwing that argument around didn't even play to that time)

Sadly, that model just doesn't sell anymore.

These days there is a lot more content required for casual players. People want quick, easy content. Things like raidfinder.

As much as i agree that the older/slower style was more fun and rewarding overall, at the end of the day, the game is here to make money, and they will do whatever is best for that. Even if the end product is quick and easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post

These days there is a lot more content required for casual players. People want quick, easy content. Things like raidfinder.

As much as i agree that the older/slower style was more fun and rewarding overall, at the end of the day, the game is here to make money, and they will do whatever is best for that. Even if the end product is quick and easy.
    Exactly this. WoW has become the fast food of MMOs.

I didn't mind resistance fights as a change of pace and a gating mechanism, and I loved attunements. Seriously, gaining access to new raid content by defeating the last boss of a previous tier was so much fun. I've killed every raiding boss in this game and very few things match the excitement of zoning into Hyjal for the first time, simply because it was part of the experience of killing Kael, and added so much to it.

Anyway, neither of those things will ever be in the game again. They just don't work with Blizzard's model any more, and guilds have adapted now to the point where it'd be hard to go back. No point pining for it really. Heroic raiding content is as good in the current patch as its ever been, if you're able to raid that content, enjoy it. If you aren't, don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post

Oh I see you've downed Ra-Den. Oh you haven't? Damn, I thought it was quick and easy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noirlama View Post
    A little bit offtopic but its the same thing with spells: you can kill a fire elemental with fire spells, thats just wrong, the elemental should be immune to fire but take double the damage from frostspells..
    I agree with this.

But like I said: At least to me, the whole resistance gating in Vanilla was a bit annoying.
    Yes, it slowed down the progression and made the content last longer, and yes, finally killing a boss felt very rewarding - but bosses like Huhuran and Sapphiron were just a pain.
    Collecting resistance gear wasn't difficult or a challenge by any means - it just took time.

Deleted
    It was a shit state of affairs to get cool upgrades and not be able to use them because you needed the resistance from some green item from Maraudon. Good riddance.

Deleted
    Res gear was a shitty system in all aspects,
    1 - Caused artificial gating (which is Vanilla was not needed at all)
    2 - The loss of a well res-geared MT could, and did set guilds back weeks if not months.
    3 - Caused more time wasted on farming the stuff, rather than actually being able to try and progress.

Glad they removed it, and I hope we never have to see it again.

Deleted
    well been playing since vanila, and i am 70 - 30 on it was a good thing, was a way to make things harder, as you said so people do not just steam roll trough it, but it really really sucked to farm so.

15+ Year Old Account
    It was horrible. It has rightly gone the same way as raid attunements. Losing guild members and having to re-gear and/or reattune new members was a huge pain in the arse.

Considering the amount of whining over having to do LFR/old raids in order to gear up for ToT at the moment, I'd say we're better off without resistance gear farming.

Deleted
    What people don't understand is that RPGs are not only about leveling your character and making him stronger, but also taking advantage of certain mechanics. Have you ever played Lineage 2? It was a pain in the butt to craft high level gear, since you had to kill hundreds of creeps and spend hours in town trying to find someone who has the material you need. However this was the magic in the game. You made friends this way and gearing up felt more like a path that you were slowly walking down, than a lottery like in WoW.

I mean, in WoW gear is certain to come in some cases. You farm points and then go to exchange them. Is there a special feeling about it? No, it's just a routine. You kill a boss 10 times and finally it drops what you want. That's ok, but what about crafting? Most professions have only a couple of items worth crafting. You could just ignore the professions anyway, since you would only be losing 3-4K dps.

WoW needs more creative ways to acquire gear than those there are now. But it is Blizzard's intention to put players in a virtual treadmill where you have to wait for weeks in order to get your gear.

Death of farming resistance gear -> birth of dailies. Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss.

10+ Year Old Account
    I *loved* farming for resistance gear and mats back in Classic. One feature I desperately miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.