Indie Title: Forest Sword

Hello, I've been apart of an indie game in it's early stages. Created by HackThePanda, here are words from him of what this game is.

Forest Sword

Elephant in the room: It looks like Minecraft, congrats.
    While your powers of observation serve you well I set out to make Forest Sword much more than a building game.
    Technically speaking, Forest Sword isn't a game. It's an engine. An engine that can be added onto and modded with no coding at all. Forest Sword was built around modability, in a way very few game engines are today. Aside from being completely open source and free, it cuts out all of the fluff and lets you add in content with only the parameters you need. Why bother messing with Java variables and learning the engine structure when all you want is to quickly make a sword? And because all of the data files are handled outside of the JAR, no zipping/unzipping is required to edit your content. The expandability of a block genre game has never been greater and I hope you get involved

Currently Forest Sword is in development, but soon a beta version will be made available for people to start testing and releasing content with. I will update the forums with development news as I progress, and infrequently distribute builds with new features and bug fixes.

Since this is a little outdated, the very early beta is now ready for development, it has a lot of potential, so I hope you all will see it!

Since this is an engine, it is highly modifiable so, to test it's capabilities we are creating an RPG game, called "Aequor." It will hopefully show many of it's possibilities and set examples for future users of the engine.

There is much more information from the creator yourself, and if you want to check it out you can DL the beta at teamlucidic.com

We highly encourage you to get involved with this project, so if you are interested, we have a forums for discussion and questions on the engine at forums.teamlucidic.com

If you want to see a video showing off some of the things there are in the game right now, and what will be added in the future, you can go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoCulMqoS8U

We hope you can enjoy our work in progress and get active in this community!

Update 1: I forgot to add something very important with the modding, this is a guide made to help people wanting to create new things on Forest Sword. http://forums.teamlucidic.com/t27-item-loading
    Last edited by Ticj; 2013-03-30 at 04:20 AM.

Forest Sword has been updated quite a bit since the last post, with a lot more building tools and a new gamemode, Asunder! http://www.teamlucidic.com/forest-sword-engine/asunder

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you been playing it? How is it with bugs and anything you can say about it would be nice too!

There is a lot to cover, what it has in it right now and what is coming soon, it is an extremely modifiable game where you can do many things.

A new editor was recently put in a few weeks ago which lets you change a wide number of blocks into any kind you want (Really close to World Edit on minecraft).

The whole point is so developers can make there own gamemodes, story lines, multiplayer online servers (soon to be), weapons, Entities, and a lot more coming in the future.

There are probably a few number of bugs as with it should be in early beta. Sadly, its hard to identify them and fix them with the small number of people working on it and helping it grow and thrive.

The new gamemode made by creator of Forest Sword, is called Asunder is a pretty small but extremely challenging zombie survival.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not really seeing any reason to buy Forest Sword over Minecraft; both are essentially game engines used for modding.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I'm not really seeing any reason to buy Forest Sword over Minecraft; both are essentially game engines used for modding.
    Aside from being completely open source and free.
    Missed this did you?

Yes, Forest Sword will continue and always remain absolutely Free. It's Open Source so everyone can do anything and everything they want with it.

It's also not going to be anything like Minecraft, a Voxel Engine will always be limited to the blockiness but Minecraft was not the first to use a Voxel Engine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coldstrife View Post
    Missed this did you?
    Someone will always look to make an income off of something like this. It might start free, it likely won't remain free.

Even if it did, why would someone utilize it over Minecraft? If it's free and open source, that means you don't get a guaranteed source of updates and support since it means someone's working a full time job and Forest Sword is just their free-time hobby.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Someone will always look to make an income off of something like this. It might start free, it likely won't remain free.

Even if it did, why would someone utilize it over Minecraft? If it's free and open source, that means you don't get a guaranteed source of updates and support since it means someone's working a full time job and Forest Sword is just their free-time hobby.
    Paying money for something makes it better? Some people take their hobbies very seriously and maing open source allows people with the knowledge to help to join in.

I think you're being overly harsh on something that someone has worked hard on and is doing it for free (rather than selling it for i don't know £18/$27 or a certain other engine creator does).

Actually, Forest Sword is going to be free, always, the way he's going to fund the rest of it is making an RPG using Forest Sword, it will be cheap of course, but it will hopefully fund for more people and more things.

It will be called Aequor and will be started on in the near future.

For more questions just ask on the forum.