Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Fixed that for you. With the baseball contracts that came about today too, it's apparently that people pay too much money for athletes. Especially in the MLB, where a pitcher seems to be the position that has the most players fall off the map faster and farther than anywhere else.
    Yeah most major sports over pays it's athletes I just said NFL because we are in the NFL thread saying that thought the NFL isn't as crazy as Baseball.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kwami Harris is the next ex-player to come out

Still waiting for a current player.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Kwami Harris is the next ex-player to come out

Still waiting for a current player.
    Yeah I saw that on ESPN if a current player did come out of the closet it would almost be Jackie Robinson big and it would probably cause other players to come out as well and not just in the NFL.

I dont see why it would be big deal. But then again I thought it wasnt a big deal Obama got elected. This desire to have homosexuality in all aspects of life where it makes no difference baffles me.

Bears got another potential starter guard in free agency, makes me happy. I am still scared to death they draft Manti Te'o. Please New York pick him first.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will be a big deal, on a national scale, not just in sports media.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    It will be a big deal, on a national scale, not just in sports media.
    And yet this could be exactly the reason why someone wouldnt want to if they actually felt that way. Players dont want to be the cause of a media circus, they just want to play the game. They dont want to become a distraction which could end up hurting the team. So many teams dont want Tebow not because they think he'd be a terrible backup but because of the media circus that comes along with him. Any player "coming out" would probably receive more resentment for the fact the team is barraged with media now rather than the fact hes actually gay, id imagine most players could care less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    And yet this could be exactly the reason why someone wouldnt want to if they actually felt that way. Players dont want to be the cause of a media circus, they just want to play the game.
    Well, then, maybe we'll get lucky and a wide receiver will come out.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is partially off topic; but Vetali, are people in Seattle hostile towards Niners fans for the most part? I know that some people are, but I am talking about most of the people. I am somewhat thinking about moving towards the general area from where I currently located.

Back to the current topic of what is going on: I agree with Jib, I think that someone would be less apt to come out right now due to the overwhelming amount of attention it would attract to them, especially when they are someone who wasn't really living in the limelight anyways, nor would want to.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    Back to the current topic of what is going on: I agree with Jib, I think that someone would be less apt to come out right now due to the overwhelming amount of attention it would attract to them, especially when they are someone who wasn't really living in the limelight anyways, nor would want to.
    Well the "first" one to do it is going to be getting this attention anyway, though possibly slightly more at the moment due to the gay marriage thing. But attention is going to be there regardless. I think it would probably be better if that someone was a person that would carry this "burden" naturally, and not someone just doing it out of a want for publicity or a feeling that they need to do it for the greater good. They need to just be someone who's just gay and an athlete, and by circumstance the first to talk about this openly.

Having that in mind, it would have probably gone easier if the "first" person to talk about it openly would have been someone young, and allready openly gay before joining the NFL. They wouldn't have any preconceived image out there and just be themselves. Any veteran coming out will have to face the fact they kept the fact they were gay hidden. Some of the less friendly people towards gay people may use this as an excuse to claim they have a problem with this person coming out cause they "lied" to them for all these years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    And yet this could be exactly the reason why someone wouldnt want to if they actually felt that way. Players dont want to be the cause of a media circus, they just want to play the game. They dont want to become a distraction which could end up hurting the team. So many teams dont want Tebow not because they think he'd be a terrible backup but because of the media circus that comes along with him. Any player "coming out" would probably receive more resentment for the fact the team is barraged with media now rather than the fact hes actually gay, id imagine most players could care less.
    Yeah, you pretty much nailed the reason why players don't come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbyjawz View Post
    This is partially off topic; but Vetali, are people in Seattle hostile towards Niners fans for the most part? I know that some people are, but I am talking about most of the people. I am somewhat thinking about moving towards the general area from where I currently located.

Hostile? Not really. You may get some looks or some drunks calling you shit at the bars while watching a game in 49er gear. Lots of people here support other teams as well. Cause they bandwagoned them when the Seahawks weren't good.

Though the rivalry is just starting to get near Baltimore / Steelers level. So who knows in the next few seasons.

---------- Post added 2013-03-30 at 03:05 PM ----------

It appears a few tweets from Chris Clemons and Doug Baldwin are stirring up the soon to be nuclear bomb on a gay player in the NFL.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahaw...ay-nfl-player/

The first tweet kinda shows what I mean though, the players in the NFL are so religious that it is bound to create animosity and tension in the locker room one way or another. I agree with Doug Baldwins tweet, just the last line in that article is completely true and debunks that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Meanwhile in NFL.com's greatest play bracket: Marshawn lynch run 46,398, music city miracle 22,534, for a total of 68,932 votes. The helmet catch vs steve young run: 612,393 and 583,452. Seems legit.

Also don't get why anyone cares about Desean Jackson's punt return.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post
    Meanwhile in NFL.com's greatest play bracket: Marshawn lynch run 46,398, music city miracle 22,534, for a total of 68,932 votes. The helmet catch vs steve young run: 612,393 and 583,452. Seems legit.

Because Philly fans are dumb, that's why. It wasn't a good play by Jackson or the Eagles, just bad special teams play by the Giants.

---------- Post added 2013-04-01 at 09:45 AM ----------

I'm very excited about my Colts this coming season. We made some good moves in FA to fill much needed spaces, and signing Landry will vastly improve our secondary. The Oline should be better than it has been in years, and Toller will definitely help solidify the CB position. I'm really hoping we get another FA WR (Lloyd, DHB) or draft one in the 1st round, and pick up another guard in the 3rd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frunken View Post

Ugh, stinking helmet catch is going to win it all, simply cause it's a large media market + it's more recent then most of the others. My only hope is that there's enough anti-NY sentiment to put everyone behind voting against the helmet catch when it hits the final.

---------- Post added 2013-04-01 at 06:06 PM ----------

Also: Flynn to the Raiders. It was a few days in the making allready, but not sure what to make of this. Guess getting Flynn for "free" if they trade Palmer to Arizona for late round picks is decent. Should be QB competition for the Raiders though, and I'm not sure it will turn around their fortunes next season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Also: Flynn to the Raiders. It was a few days in the making allready, but not sure what to make of this. Guess getting Flynn for "free" if they trade Palmer to Arizona for late round picks is decent. Should be QB competition for the Raiders though, and I'm not sure it will turn around their fortunes next season.
    I'm still not sold on Flynn because all we've seen of him is that game and a half of really good play when Rodgers was hurt like three years ago.

I would agree that the helmet catch is one of the best plays ever. But I really hate the Giants. I want Marshawn Lynch to win this, he deserves it. Or at least the Steve Young rung, that was beast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    I would agree that the helmet catch is one of the best plays ever.
    It's called the helmet catch for obvious reasons, but I argue that the pre-pass is the best part of the play. Watching an immobile QB scramble around like that is fun. Still not even close to the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Kinda surprised the price for Flynn was so low; 5th round pick in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015.
    Elbren (Paladin) - Priam (Warlock) - Pompeymagnus (Hunter) - Rahab (Shaman) - Ithillian (Druid) - Licinius (Mage) - Romulus (Warrior)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbren View Post
    Kinda surprised the price for Flynn was so low; 5th round pick in 2014 and a conditional pick in 2015.
    Yeah. I don't like it that much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the 49ers getting McCoy, they got a good young backup with a lot of experience and a reasonable salary, he should give them just about everything they would get out of Alex Smith as a backup but at a quarter of the price

and the Raiders getting ready to move Palmer, and the Bills signing Kolb, the QB carousel is making it look like nobody is looking to get a starting QB at the top of the draft, so the QBs could really slip and end up someplace where they're backing up veterans

10+ Year Old Account
    Flynn's actually a smart choice for Oakland. In their first real chance to fix the issues the team has in a long time, having possibly worked out their QB situation before the draft means they can use their 1st round pick to plug the hole in their defence.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.