Poll: Did you find this Guide Useful?

Page 70 of 119 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'll add to this that it has NOTHING to do with "the 1% getting it", that sounds childish and whiny and I'd expect more from a Heroic mode raid leader.

Backstory: I only finally got my lock to 90 about a month or two ago, having just started her around a month before MoP came out. She wasn't even able to queue for ToT LFR when it became available. I've been trying off and on at Kanrethad since I got the book the week 5.2 came out. I got my kill at 491 ilvl earlier tonight so I'm very obviously not grossly overgeared for it. It's really just all about being able to keep and eye on and deal with many things at once which, contrary to what you seem to believe, does in fact have to do with skill.

Yes, it was difficult for me. No, I am not saying that I am an incredible warlock by any stretch of the imagination. This fight frustrated the shit out of me more times than I can count. But you know how I got through it? I calmed down and walked away for a bit. Sometimes hours, sometimes days, and thought about what I could be doing differently. This should sound familiar to you as a raid leader, taking spare time to think about what could be done better.

No, it will not be handed to you. The fight is not faceroll and win. Much like practicing raids, which you say you've led Heroic raids so I'm sure you'll know where this is coming from, it takes time and effort. Check out strategies, look up guides, try different things and see what works out best for you. I took some strategies from a handful of different sources and pieced them together and adapted them as best I could to myself. Give it a shot!

Good luck! It's totally worth it IMO. Great feeling finally having got it after the effort I put in learning it

I apologize for my previous post, it was written in a state of frustration and anger after yet another 2 straight hours wiping to it. I will have to try harder. Thank you for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakashima View Post
    So, I got my Tome the day my Warlock hit 90 after many hours of farming and went through many guides, but Ackthal's was the best. Obviously just hitting 90 I was undergeared and in the last week and a half I managed to collect a lot of gear and got up to ilvl 490. Seeing the steady progression was invigorating, just like having your own personal raid encounter.

There are a few notes I think will help people that the guides don't mention, especially timing cues:

-Don't wait too long to prepot. I made the mistake of doing this while I thought I was out of combat during a really good attempt, and when I needed to dispel Curse of Doom, I couldn't.

-Right before Cataclysm he will cast Curse of Agony followed by Seed of Corruption.

-As soon as the charge stun wears off after Cataclysm, he will cast Curse of Agony, Seed of Corruption, then a Soul Fire. After these three casts he will begin summoning his next wave of demons. I used Fel Fire Breath on myself when he was halfway through casting the first debuff after Cataclysm so that when he finished casting the second one, the Fel Breathe would still have enough time to remove that debuff. When he begins casting Soul Fire, I move my Pitlord to the corner for the Fel Hunter phase, because I know he won't be casting any more debuffs. At this point I use the Pit Lord's heal.

-Don't panic. During one of my best attempts, a Fel Hunter managed to dispel Enslave Demon. I had one Fel Hunter alive. I simply banished the Fel Hunter quickly, was lucky enough that my Pit Lord didn't use Charge on me, enslaved it as Kal was casting Cataclysm and stunned him with a couple seconds remaining. With that out of the way, I killed the remaining Fel Hunter, letting it dispel my Enslave Demon during the 3rd phase because I always re-enslave my Pit Lord during that phase while Kal is channeling his summon, anyway. The point is, you can recover if you screw up, just keep calm.

-After the 2nd Fel Hunter phase, the phase cycle gets questionable. When I reached my 3rd Imp phase, he summoned another wave of imps after that, and yet another after that. I never went farther than that before I defeated him, but once you get to your 3rd Imp phase you can blow your cooldowns and start nuking him. If there's a Fel Hunter phase at some point after the three consecutive waves of imps, they would be off cooldown by then.

Noticing that he casts 3 times after Cataclysm before he starts summoning was really key in me getting the fight down, because often times I'd send my Pit Lord away to the corner too late on the Fel Hunter phase and he'd get dispelled. Another thing to watch out for is that if you feel the need to move or kite the Fel Hunters, don't accidentally move them into line of sight of your Pit Lord. Their dispel has a HUGE range. While I was 470 last week and 490 this week (I probably spent about 40 or so attempts total before I got it), now that I know the encounter I think you could do this in full heroic blues, but it would be absolutely unforgiving.

Lastly, thank you Ackthal for this guide. I hope the additions I've added will be able to help someone, but Ackthal's guide is the best thing out there for this encounter
    Nice additions! Thank you for the feedback I'm glad the guide has been helping people.

492il with the pve gear that I have just a tad under 15% hit rating and I cant make it past the first fel hunter stage. Every single time I die. Why would blizzard implement green fire than make it so goddamn hard to get?! I should have just sold this tome when I got it if i knew it was going to be this hard. I am done with this utter shit instance. I know how to play my lock have been playing it since BC im no idiot I have made it above 2700 rating in arena and have done most of the raids in the game but I cannot do this instance. Im done with it ill just sit back and wait for it to be nerfed to the ground like it should be. In fact we shouldnt even have to do a stupid instance to get green fire i should have just been givin to us seeing how we have been asking for it for 6 fkn years!!! This game is fkn trash.

Mod edit: watch your language.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-03-30 at 07:21 PM.

i have yet had time to do this

Quote Originally Posted by Nakamuraa View Post
    492il with the pve gear that I have just a tad under 15% hit rating and I cant make it past the first fel hunter stage. Every single time I die. Why would blizzard implement green fire than make it so goddamn hard to get?! I should have just sold this tome when I got it if i knew it was going to be this hard. I am done with this utter shit instance. I know how to play my lock have been playing it since BC im no idiot I have made it above 2700 rating in arena and have done most of the raids in the game but I cannot do this instance. Im done with it ill just sit back and wait for it to be nerfed to the ground like it should be. In fact we shouldnt even have to do a stupid instance to get green fire i should have just been givin to us seeing how we have been asking for it for 6 fkn years!!! This game is fkn trash.
    They intentionally made it difficult to start with so that not every warlock would be running around with green fire early on, and I believe they said they plan to make it easier as time goes on so more can get it that couldn't before.

Instead of ranting, maybe tell us some details about your attempts so maybe we can help you get him dead? What spec are you doing it as, what are you using for your strategy, etc. There's a lot of warlocks here who have gotten it and are willing to help others but we need something to go on. Even people who know how to play their class can mess up under pressure, and this fight is very unforgiving when it comes to mistakes; you really have to be lucky to recover from some of them before you die. The majority of my wipes were due to stupid mistakes like forgetting about the felhunter phase coming up, or forgetting to refresh my Pit Lord's enslavement.

I did it recently in 426 PvE gear and 483 PvP gear just to see if it was possible (it was). Gonna do a little tutorial video in the near future to help people out a bit.

492il with the pve gear [...] I know how to play my lock have been playing it since BC im no idiot I have made it above 2700 rating in arena [...] but I cannot do this instance.
    I find it hilariously funny that I who couldn't even get past 1500 rating managed to do this in 487 ilvl.

On topic though, what advice I can give you is try to be more analytical. Every time you wipe, there is a specific reason to it, there is something you didn't do properly. As soon as you wipe, get over the fact that you wiped, and try to figure out what caused you to wipe. And keep at it, don't give up. It took me 4 hours in 487 ilvl, and 2 hrs in 502 the first time.

edit: having spoken to a lot of warlocks who did this, I heard of a few who did it in a tremendously fast manner. Some people claim to have killed him in 3 minutes or less (172k+ dps) as destruction ilvl 512. Anyone tried a speedrun of it?
    Last edited by Alarinth; 2013-03-30 at 06:57 PM.
    ~ Battle.net MVP ~
    Overwatch mod
    Twitter | Soundcloud

Deleted
    Having extreme difficulties with imp phase, meaning i cant figure out how to burst them down before they burst me.

Any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by el11t View Post
    Having extreme difficulties with imp phase, meaning i cant figure out how to burst them down before they burst me.

Any tips?
    I moved my Pit Lord behind me then positioned myself between the Pit Lord and the demonic gateway the imps come through, put up RoF, waited a bit for more to come out, FnB incinerate and the Pit Lord's breath, another RoF and they'd be dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by el11t View Post

Any tips?
    F&B immolate on them and rain of fire on top of them. It gives you enough embers to stay alive with embertap and to spam chaos bolts on the boss.
    What you can do as well is letting the pit lord breath on them for extra damage and to have him tank some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alarinth View Post
    having spoken to a lot of warlocks who did this, I heard of a few who did it in a tremendously fast manner. Some people claim to have killed him in 3 minutes or less (172k+ dps) as destruction ilvl 512. Anyone tried a speedrun of it?
    I downed him during the 2nd imp phase with 505 ilvl. Not sure what the timer on that is, but I could probably kill him even faster with some better gear and a bit more practice.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-03-30 at 07:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alarinth View Post
    having spoken to a lot of warlocks who did this, I heard of a few who did it in a tremendously fast manner. Some people claim to have killed him in 3 minutes or less (172k+ dps) as destruction ilvl 512. Anyone tried a speedrun of it?
    Many pages back I wrote up how to do this already, nobody seems to heed any of the information posted though as I continue to see questions posted that have been answered manifold.

Spec into Siphon life and Soul leech, when imps spawn, use 1 FnB immolate and drop an RoF on them.

Now spam chaosbolt back-to-back on the boss, using demonic gateway on cooldown to drop aggro so the boss never uses Chaosbolt or Cataclysm
    Also use your self-dispel on cooldown.

You will never die as the bubbles generated from your Chaosbolt spam, health return from immolate ticks and your pitlord's healthfunnel will keep you at 100% the whole time.

Essentially, doing this, allows you to forego Chaosbolt, Cataclysm and knocks about 4 minutes off of your kill timer.

To reiterate, keep RoF up, keep FnB immolate up, you must have Siphon life and Soul leech talent/glyph, spam Chaosbolts on the boss, use self-dispel, demonic gateway on cooldown and pitlord healthfunnel (Though I never had to use it).

Boss will die incredibly quick and he won't even use half of the mechanics you would otherwise have to avoid/interrupt/line of sight.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-03-30 at 07:35 PM. Reason: woops

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Now spam chaosbolt back-to-back on the boss, using demonic gateway on cooldown to drop aggro so the boss never uses Chaosbolt or Cataclysm
    Doesn't the boss use Cataclysm regardless of aggro? IIRC he still used it when I did the fight, despite the pit lord having aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Doesn't the boss use Cataclysm regardless of aggro? IIRC he still used it when I did the fight, despite the pit lord having aggro.
    That was always my experience as well. He occasionally started it and then stopped it (sometimes even skipped it entirely) the very first time before the imp phase, but after that he always casted it even when attacking the Pit Lord.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can NOT get past the first felhunter phase.

Damn imps just chew me up and almost every guide says to use them as ember generators / FnB and ROF them down but i cant get them down while fast enough to work on interrupting the boss or if i leave them up they just blow me up.

Help please
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Orcala/simple

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Quote Originally Posted by Shefu View Post
    I apologize for my previous post, it was written in a state of frustration and anger after yet another 2 straight hours wiping to it. I will have to try harder. Thank you for the advice!
    It took me maybe 8 hours over 3 days worth of attempts and 30+ 300 food and a few flasks at 493 ilvl. I hear your frustrations though. Keep at it. If you're losing control of the fight at felpups phase, try hiding your pit lord behind one of the pillars right after interrupting cataclysm. Don't wait, just interrupt it and move him LOS before Kan moves in front of the portal to start summoning.

Also drop aggro ASAP before felpups and continue to shatter on cd so you never have to worry about chaos bolt anymore.

---------- Post added 2013-03-30 at 07:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post

Damn imps just chew me up and almost every guide says to use them as ember generators / FnB and ROF them down but i cant get them down while fast enough to work on interrupting the boss or if i leave them up they just blow me up.

Help please
    I'm not sure because I did it as affliction but maybe you should have your pit lord breath on them to help with the aoe. My rotation as aff was, lifetap to full mana, shadowfury, sb:seed, seed, pit lord breath, then harvest life and they'd all die and I'd be at full health, mana, and shards at the end of the phase.

Just completed it at 483. It is hard as hell( see: tedious to remember all that crap) but the main thing is getting in touch with your inner korean for micro management. I did use a purification potion and something that helped me was just RoF'ing the imp swarms at the end of the fight and spamming SB as fast as i could press it on the boss. Also one of those stones or the auto-use glyph for gate is mandatory imo. So many times i would forget to use it. For the fel hunters it is important to remember to not have the gate debuff on you and to rely on soul shatter instead because often the pups will ignore you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the0o View Post

Help please

It's probably just because of your lower ilvl, as normally you shouldn't have too many problems if you just F&B immolate and RoF them, using the pit lord heal and ember tap to stay alive.
    What I notice however, is that you are using the ember tap glyph, it's a lot better to go unglyphed for those oh-shit moments where you quickly need healing.

Deleted
    Is there anyone who has some tips to get the tome beyond killing rares solo or be the first lock to loot? I must've killed 150-200 rares and never even saw the "¤#¤"# tome :/

Karenthad is a reality check for all warlocks out there. If you have ilvl of 480+ and can't beat the fight over 3 hours of attempts or more then you have to face the truth - you are just bad at warlock. I find it so funny that some heroic raiders can't beat that fight with ilvl of 500+, seriously guys, time to open your eyes, you are just bad at this game it seems, it might be a sign you should look for a new hobby. The fight is a good challange but if you think of yourself as a good warlock and can't beat it, then I have a sad message for you - you aren't really as good as you thought.

Infracted
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-03-31 at 02:32 PM.