Poll: Did you enjoy fighting Kanrethad?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Finally got it after about 50 tries!

Gonna have to do it again though, I didn't get the quest credit because I was in a raid at the time. >.<

Deleted
    People have done it as low as item level 384, not sure why people are saying you need gear to do it.

Frustrating for me as i gave up on the fight after countless wipes. Fights was fun to learn beside dogs phase. I will just wait for next x-pack to steamroll it. Will be good to see Kan and his pets "miss" on my lvl95/100

To sum this green fire thing up today:
    Anyone with green fire: "fight was super fun and easy ltp issues for those without it blabla"
    Anyone without: "fight frustrating boss is overtuned, gearcheck blabla"

Deleted
    imo, this fight isn't a gear check. I spent more time, setting my macros, adjusting my ui, and searching info on internet, then downing him (10-15 try). Is a difficult fight, not intended for all the warlock out there, or at least need some effort. I hate when something is challenging and people cry for "nerf".

I'd like to do him again to see how easy it is with a higher ilvl. Im 497 now, but I did it the first week it was out at 481.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedains View Post
    imo, this fight isn't a gear check. I spent more time, setting my macros, adjusting my ui, and searching info on internet, then downing him (10-15 try). Is a difficult fight, not intended for all the warlock out there, or at least need some effort. I hate when something is challenging and people cry for "nerf".
    Well there is some measure of a gear check. I beat it with 485 ilvl but I need a purification potion or there was no way I could have beat it. The fight, while challenging, I did not find very fun and for something like green fire I think it should be toned down a little.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher069 View Post
    Well there is some measure of a gear check. I beat it with 485 ilvl but I need a purification potion or there was no way I could have beat it. The fight, while challenging, I did not find very fun and for something like green fire I think it should be toned down a little.
    Blizzard doesn't tune fights around using outside stuff like Purification potions, the fight is tuned for higgher ilevels that can actually beat the encounter without using them, so it's most certainly a gear check built in. We just found a good way around it.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Blizzard doesn't tune fights around using outside stuff like Purification potions, the fight is tuned for higgher ilevels that can actually beat the encounter without using them, so it's most certainly a gear check built in. We just found a good way around it.
    It it's probably unintended but hotfixing it now would be a big "f*** you" to all warlocks without gear, once you go over the 7 minutes you can see kanrethad basicly bugging out, he will keep summoning imps without doing a catacylsm, and let's be honest this fight is a joke if you can do it within these 7 minutes :\

If they really want a fight thats doable by anyone they should scale the gear up and down to the intended level (unable to outgear it), so you don't have to cheat yourself past the Enrage instead you would know you should be able to down him and if one still can't do it it would be obvious that they are doing something wrong on this fight.

It's really ridiculous seeing youtube videos of ppl clicking all their spells with the mouse and they outgear it so hard that it hardly matters how bad they play their warlock if they can just get the phases right
    Last edited by Yuyuli; 2013-03-31 at 03:29 PM.

I enjoyed the fight. The mechanics weren't overly complicated, it just required good timing on your part.

Got the book when I was around 385 ilevel and really enjoyed the quest line up to kanrethad. After wiping dozens of times I just gave up and won't think twice about doing it again until I'm swimming in some outrageous ilevel to go back and steamroll it. The frustrations of that fight are not worth how 'meh' the green fire actually looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    The end fight itself was clearly the best part, the rest of the chain was mediocre at best. And I wish they did more out of it.

The Ebonlocke fight is frustrating, and probably tuned with a too high itemlvl in mind (compared to the average player that is). Not that it mattered to me though, had decent enough gear when I did it (487).
    What bothered me the most was the overwhelming need to micromanage, to me that's not "fun". It's just annoying.

Messing up things like positioning of the pitlord, moving it away before the felhunters come. Felhunter part is for sure the worst. Doomguard phase was pointless, a banish or letting it aggro onto pitlord and that's it. Imps can be easy, or they can be annoying. Depends on how well you positioned yourself and the pitlord before they spawn.

In the end I think the fight was to depending on micro management and having the right spec and talents, though the fight isn't really that hard. But you need to have perfect timing, or you are easily screwed.
    Not sure how many times I wiped before I got it, but it was quite a few for sure.

The loot as much as you can part was just meaningless, a couple hundred gold at most. Also, was anyone able to help Akama ? or was that choice simply removed ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubert View Post
    Got the book when I was around 385 ilevel and really enjoyed the quest line up to kanrethad. After wiping dozens of times I just gave up and won't think twice about doing it again until I'm swimming in some outrageous ilevel to go back and steamroll it. The frustrations of that fight are not worth how 'meh' the green fire actually looks.
    You can't really steamroll the fight even at 522 ilevel (what I was at when I first did it). Cataclysm still one shots you and while you can soak Chaos Bolts it's still really, really dangerous.

Deleted
    Liked the idea of it being difficult, hated it in reality. 80+ wipes is a bit much for a "challenge" in Blizz' words.

Tried about 3 times on my own first, then read up tactics, 1 shotted him.

Didnt seem all that hard, I did this in 503 gear.

Deleted
    I am level 64 atm but I already bought that tome for 3k.

This way I can start right away after hitting 90 and farming some gear.

Deleted
    Finally killed it after wiping zillions of times on it, loved the fight and accomplishment, but not sure if i'd want to do it again

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    I very much enjoyed the fight, especially after downing him by instantly using my soulstone at the very last second of the fight as he died too. I'd have to agree with others though, and say that I think it would work better if it was scaled to a certain ilvl instead, that way it had the same level of challenge for everyone. If Blizz wants it to get easier in the future, they can adjust the ilvl it scales you to.

Deleted
    the point is, an active warlock can easily beat the boss. If it has been active it should have a decent gear, whether is geared with LFR/Hc gear, or with pvp gear, u can beat the 7 min soft enrage just playing properly with 485 ilvl. I don't get why, reroller, or alt should get this EPIC green fire so easily.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Frustrating as fuck. I went in there clueless and it took me quite a few wipes to down him. But unlike anything else this expansion it did give me that happy feeling of downing something special. I'm all for more of this kind of content.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuyuli View Post
    It's really ridiculous seeing youtube videos of ppl clicking all their spells with the mouse and they outgear it so hard that it hardly matters how bad they play their warlock if they can just get the phases right
    Quote Originally Posted by helheim View Post
    i don't think it's a bad fight, but considering the reading i've done where ppl are able to outgear it w/ ilvls, it's just a cock block for anyone not in a certain gear level, regardless of skill. i think that's bad. that's my 2c, for whatever it's worth.
    I don't get these posts. It's clearly not a gear check if people are doing it in 476 gear and beating the enrage timer. Unless you consider requiring last tier's LFR gear to be a "gear check". So yes, fresh 90s can't do it, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Especially considering the amount of crafted gear that's available, LFR, scenarios, dungeons, honor gear, World Bosses. Heck I bet in most realms blood spirits now go for nothing, and they get you 496 crafted gear. My point is, enough gear to complete this encounter should require some effort but it's nothing unreasonable to gear up for it.

I love the "youtube videos of clickers who only get by because they can get the phases right". If they can get the phases right, doesn't it stand to reason that it's not the gear that's carrying them, but the clear understanding of how fight mechanics work?

Either way I hope to see more bosses like Kanrethad in the future. It's a good fight that makes you use most of your toolkit to be successful. The only part I hated about it was the RNG book drop, because that's the only thing one has no control over. To those that have completed the fight (like I have) I /salute you. To those who haven't yet, perfect your strategy and understanding of the mechanics; learn WHY you died, and how to avoid it. Everything Kanrethad throws at you can be avoided.