Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Pegasus Mount, ToT LFR Wing Opens Today, Blue Tweets, SC2 Warhound, ElvUI April Fools

Dyes for Legendaries Not in Patch 1.0.8, Coop Updates Coming, Blue Posts, News for Korean players

Patch 5.3 PTR - Build 16790

Follow WoWDB on Twitter for a chance to win Curse Premium!

Patch 5.3 - Pegasus Mount
    Here is the nicer preview of the mount from tonight's PTR build.

Throne of Thunder LFR Opens Another Wing Today
    Don't forget that another section of the Throne of Thunder LFR will open today! AskMrRobot has a nice blog post up about how to spend your bonus rolls and what all of the output means.

You can find the encounter journal and loot tables for the next 3 bosses on the pages linked below, and boss guides over at Icy Veins.

Patch 5.3 PTR Changes Clarifications
    Tonight's PTR build demonstrated why you should always wait before complaining about changes. We can only report changes made to the tooltips, so when tooltips are not updated completely you don't get the full story. Ghostcrawler was nice enough to address some of the concerns anyway!

Blue Tweets
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Character
    In vanilla, having an alt was very difficult. In Cataclysm it was very easy. We're just shifting things back a tiny bit. (Source)
    and that sucks. Making me drift from the game.
    That's not our goal. But there is a fine line between "my alt is too hard to play" and "I have nothing to do on my alt." (Source)
    Also not our intent, but we don't want everyone to be at 11 maxed out alts on their account with nothing to do. (Source)

Might surprise you, but a lot of people find professions fun. Need to tune out the instant gratification crowd.
    I think the question is: would you have the prof alts if your main could do all profs? Do you like the professions or the alts? (Source)
    so leveling in mop is so boring and painfull to disourage us from having too many professions?common
    Not sure how you concluded that from my comments. (Source)
    he's arguing, rightly, that you've expressed you don't want players to have autonomous access to all profs.
    He's arguing with some strange cart and horse placement. (Source)
    you're the one who so often says all players' input has some value, no? Isn't his point apparent, if not eloquent?
    He was attempting to use my discussion of professions to argue that we made mop leveling "boring and painful." (Source)
    Would not be first time you've wanted more player(LFR) interdependence(LFR) than players(LFR) want(LFR).
    Not the word I would use. IMO WoW is most fun when it's enjoyed socially. We worry the solo LFR guy won't be a long-term player. (Source)
    Funny how you have removed all the social aspects from the game then, if you want people to enjoy it that way.
    We worked hard to give players a lot to do, which was important. But I agree it came at a social expense. Next problem to solve. (Source)

I don't want to quest on the alt. Way things are set up, dailies feel mandatory
    But questing is a big part of the game. You do have options (such as dungeons or PvP) but they aren't designed to be as efficient. (Source)

I understand your reasons you want give single chars a lot to do. Thats great. But that does not mean you need to punish alts
    The purpose of having an alt, for us, is to play them. Too many catch-up mechanics means you don't have to play them. (Source)
    But does that mean you need to repeat every single accomplishment the player already did?
    No, and you generally don't have to. Things like commendations, heirlooms and even making bags for your alt give you a big leg up. (Source)
    But repeating double gate removals and reputations grinds burns out players. Why aren't those brick walls account specific?
    Because then your alt doesn't have to quest. You earn valor and then get another raid-geared character. And then what? Make a 3rd? (Source)
    Really, this is not to annoy you. I appreciate your work. But.. alts aren't the target group of mop as it seems
    No, it's cool. I'm just trying to unravel the apparent paradox of wanting to have an alt but not wanting to have to play that alt. (Source)
    you define play here very differently than many. I'll endure a grind for my main, but alts are for fun, and grinding sucks.
    I'll counter that with "grind" is a word players use when they want the rewards but not the steps it takes to get them. (Source)
    I honestly don't understand this response. Are you saying people upset about the grind are whiners?
    I'm saying "grind" is a pejorative word that has a mushy definition and tends to get overused. (Source)
    Well then what kind of conversation can we have? I can't call a duck a duck without it being apparently a pejorative term.
    Some words just lose their meaning through careless use. Grind is one of them, along with clunky, scaling and benched. (Source)
    and Epic. Your company really needs to stop using Epic. It's in he same teir as this other words you describe
    It's true. (Source)

Could there be a sliding scale, so toon#3 took less time than toon#2, toon#4 less than toon#3, for altoholics?
    Yeah, honestly, that's more of what we're going for. Just trying to figure out that scale. 50% of the time of the first? 10%? (Source)

It's not about not playing it, it's about the burden to repeat everything that the player already did.
    But isn't that what an alt is all about - replaying the game through a different view? Otherwise we could just offer class respec. (Source)
    Mounts are a great example. They are account shared.
    Yes, and so are achievements. Rep could be, or even valor, loot or char level, but at some point you'll have nothing left to do. (Source)
    Why should a char level not be at 90 automatically? Because i learn the class on leveling it. I need to find out how it works
    Not sure how important that is anymore. Respec Feral to Balance is a big difference. Also many spells have less use at low level. (Source)

catchup mechs are not "play", work. Without loot as carrot, raiders would play,so would(and do)gladiators. Who'd daily or lfr?
    Disagree. Many raiders would stop without loot as a carrot. Players tend not to do activities that have no loot incentive. (Source)
    Part of that is on us to come up with rewards besides loot, but loot is still the most proven effective reward. (Source)
    glads do. Point is lfr and dailies are endured for loot; raiding is -fun-.
    Consider that we could have made WoW a game about running instances or even raids. We didn't. There are reasons for that. (Source)

SC2 Situation Report - April 1, 2013
    Blizzard replaced the worker units (SCVs, Drones, Probes) with the removed Warhound model today in SC2! Thanks to ShadowRaven6 for the image.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker)
    As you may know, the Warhound was removed very early in the Heart of the Swarm public beta test because we felt that its role overlapped with the Marauder a bit too much. Mechanically, these two units were virtually identical, but were produced from two different buildings. It’s never an easy decision to remove a unit, but this decision was particularly tough because we absolutely loved the Warhound’s art.

After watching the MLG Winter Championship, we noticed that Life was able to beat Flash a little too easily in the finals. Had Flash been able to build Warhounds, our favorite race (Terran) may have won the tournament. As usual, we made a spur-of-the-moment decision based on this match and immediately set about rebalancing the game.

Accordingly, we reintroduced the Warhound into our internal builds for testing purposes. It felt great to have the Warhound back when we played as Terran, but when we played against them using our favorite race (Zerg), it somehow felt very wrong. Obviously, we couldn’t have that, so we decided that we must also give the Warhound to Zerg.

After putting some more thought into it, we realized that our favorite race (Protoss) was getting the short end of the stick because it was the only race without the Warhound. That’s when it came to us: Protoss should have it as well, since one of our main goals in StarCraft II was to create as much symmetry as possible amongst all three races.

So after considering every angle, here’s what’s changing:

• The Warhound has been added for Terran because robots are cool and the art is amazing
    • The Warhound has been added for Zerg to remain competitive with Terran.
    • The Warhound has been added for Protoss to keep Protoss players from whining about them on the forums.

While we know these changes are drastic, we encourage everyone to log in and spend some time playing before rushing to judgment. We welcome you to share your thoughts, but this time around we’re not going to be listening to feedback.

For more information on the story behind the Warhound please check out the Warhound Q&A and the latest entry in our StarCraft short story series “Command Performance”.

ElvUI April Fools
    ElvUI had a nice April Fools joke waiting for people when they logged in today!

Last edited by chaud; 2013-04-02 at 08:35 AM.

Looks nice should however be a warlock mount with green fire option :P

God damn Harlem shake. And oh my god yes to that pegasus.

The Harlem shake was a good touch made me laugh and was better than so of the stuipd stuff folks did. Love the new mounts

That... is awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    OMG noooooooooooooo, not another broken sparkle pony skeleton on a mount.

Those wings on the Pegasus are TINY!

Deleted
    And there was me a couple of days ago thinking about trying elvui. Thank god I didn't! Harlem shake... pathetic...

Holy ****, those Pegasus mounts look awesome!
    Wonder where you get them.

That horrible period of time where we know of a new mount but not how to acquire it... Gief!
    Another LFR wing, more loot, more legendary progression, more horror! =D
    And neat that Shaman might end up with LiB and LaB on the move. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
    That horrible period of time where we know of a new mount but not how to acquire it... Gief!
    Isn't obvious that it's a pet store mount?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by magnoberta View Post
    And there was me a couple of days ago thinking about trying elvui. Thank god I didn't! Harlem shake... pathetic...
    Wow really. So the group of people that make this kickass UI want to have a little fun on april fools day are now pathetic?

Deleted
    Probably store mounts :P

ElvUI is so evil, muahahahaha.

Also... am I the only one thinking about http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Primordius ?

I wish Blizz's animators would watch videos on how horses run, because that's not how they work :|

And those hooves, my god; they're the size of it's head. It could be amazing if it wasn't so... clunky like all the other horse models.

I'm getting too old for this shit, first gangnam style, now harlem shake, wtf is wrong with this generation...

So that's what the Harlem Shake yells were about. Most of those tards I just put on ignore but also reported a couple for spamming when I got annoyed enough. Maybe they'll pick their addons better from now on if they get some kinda warning for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeller
    I'm getting too old for this shit, first gangnam style, now harlem shake, wtf is wrong with this generation...
    The same thing that was wrong with our generation, Macarena, Can't touch this, la-banda ra-ra-ra-raspoutin, daddy cool etc. but without the internet,
    Stop being a douche..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Barael View Post
    So that's what the Harlem Shake yells were about. Most of those tards I just put on ignore but also reported a couple for spamming when I got annoyed enough. Maybe they'll pick their addons better from now on if they get some kinda warning for it.
    You need to lighten up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    The same thing that was wrong with our generation, Macarena, Can't touch this, la-banda ra-ra-ra-raspoutin, daddy cool etc. but without the internet,
    Stop being a douche..
    its just funny that the old ones is much more cooler (esp can't touch this and daddy cool) pretty amazing they are getting played pretty much daily on the radio still lol

Quote Originally Posted by Smeller View Post
    Melbourne Shuffle :P http://youtu.be/FJpoC-OwqRs Pae and Sarah are the two performing the shuffle in the linked video.

As for the issue about alts that Blizzard does not get, for many of us their raid/heroic usage is no different than having a second talent spec. I myself am more than willing to do the work to get to 90, but damn if I want to spend the full grind getting ready to raid on a second character or more. I think justice points need to be account wide. That would make alt gearing easier without giving away the house. Throw some automatic bleed over in reputation points and voila, problem solved.
    iMac
    2012-03-05 : The day SWTOR jumped the shark
    Mages are basically "warlocks for girls" - Kerrath