Deleted

Help our resto please?

I wonder if any of you guys can offer any advice for our resto healer, Lífeforce on Nordrassil (EU), he's feeling like he should be doing better lately... Can't post links yet sorry, but a couple of reports from tonight's raid here though:

reports/5b4atwkbwcj3e2rr/ (Horridon wipes)
    reports/ufvgtwh79ffug2c7/ (Jin'rokh kill) If anyone can add in some links for me that'd be great, ta.
    For whatever reason he has trouble taking in and getting what he needs out of walls of text and long ass guides, so really looking here for any tips or major points he's missing; talents, glyphs, reforging, spell priorities, macros etc... any glaring problems that stand out? Any and all constructive criticism welcome, cheers.
    Last edited by mmoc0b3d138483; 2013-04-03 at 10:22 PM.

Horridon Wipes: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/5b4atwkbwcj3e2rr/
    Jin'rokh Kill: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/ufvgtwh79ffug2c7/
    Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...force/advanced

Resto Shamans really are not as strong this teir, in 25s atleast. Not sure about 10s.

On Jin'rokh his riptide uptime was about 75%. he wants to aim for 95%+ at the minimum. Earth shield up time could be a little better as well.

Horridon (looking at the 7 min attempt) his RT uptime was better (97%) Earthshield was decent as well. On a 7 minute attempt he did not use Healing tide once, which is our main big output CD on a 3 min CD. He could have used that twice or even once atleast.

Him gaining his teir 15 bonus will help a decent amount, especially in 10 man. In terms of his stats, hes going fairly overkill on mastery. 65% is quite a chunk. Especially for normal modes. He may want to drop some of that into the next haste breakpoint at 3.7k haste or go for more crit for the output and regen. Whatever his preference is. Thats all I can really see for now. Hopefully my input helps a little bit. I have only raided 25 man for the past couple years so i'm not sure how different things would be. Input from another 10 man Resto might be more beneficial.
    Last edited by Dorac; 2013-04-03 at 11:59 PM.

First thing I'd get him to do is replace that riptide glyph with HST glyph.
    Losing the front-loaded heal of riptide removes a vital instant. Most importantly, spamming riptide (which he isn't doing anyway) is a huge mana dump.

Mastery is typically in the 45-50% range for 10 man resto shaman. Should reforge most of that into crit (and use spi/crit gems instead of spi/mastery).
    Crit will provide more throughput and a good source of mana return via resurgence.

He didn't use ascendance (restorative mists) once. Good tip is to use that along with spiritwalker's grace.
    Ascendance only has 20 yard radius so being able to move while healing is vital on a fight like horridon.

Only other glaring weakness I see in the 7 minute Horridon attempt is the dps. Good grief.
    Not one person died until very late in the try and you had a hunter, rogue, and ret doing horrific dps.
    They weren't afk because their active time is above 97%. Perhaps they were too focused on interrupts. /shrug

Mobs were simply not dying quickly enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleHoward View Post
    I wonder if any of you guys can offer any advice for our resto healer, Lífeforce on Nordrassil (EU), he's feeling like he should be doing better lately... Can't post links yet sorry, but a couple of reports from tonight's raid here though:

reports/5b4atwkbwcj3e2rr/ (Horridon wipes)
    reports/ufvgtwh79ffug2c7/ (Jin'rokh kill) If anyone can add in some links for me that'd be great, ta.
    For whatever reason he has trouble taking in and getting what he needs out of walls of text and long ass guides, so really looking here for any tips or major points he's missing; talents, glyphs, reforging, spell priorities, macros etc... any glaring problems that stand out? Any and all constructive criticism welcome, cheers.
    Horridon is a horrid fight for restoration shaman, people are often spread and the damage is very spikes and random. He is also healing with a holy paladin, which is going to make his number look worse. Looking at his gear:

1) too much mastery: it loses a fair bit it of effectiveness as a stat beyond about 50% - I try and always keep mine between 48 and 50

Spirit crit is what he should be going for. Replace the mast crit gems with misty wild jade spirit crit. He has ancestral swiftness (which is great) so haste should work like this: get as little as possible while ensuring he has 12.5% with the raid buff (and AS). The number to shoot for is 871 but there's no way he'll get that low, there's lots of haste on gear. Basically as low as possible while keeping 12.5% in a raid. The 3764 breakpoint adds another tick to HTT and HST but I wouldn't bother going for it until he gets better gear. I tried it and found the loss of crit to be painful for mana regeneration for little benefit.

In general though it looks like he needs to improve his CD usage. Cds are what make shaman numbers go high. I never pop ascendance unless the group is already together inside a healing rain. Casting hr during ascendance is a waste, so ensure its down before using it.

But yeah Horridon is awful for resto shaman, you have to work very hard to do well. Mainly in your group he needs to sort heal where the paladin is falling behind. So good use of tidal waves and HW / GHW will be necessary.

HTT could be useful on the second gate, the raid damage when the venom priests are in is nasty.
    Last edited by mmoc90d9592e92; 2013-04-04 at 07:12 AM.

Deleted
    Dorac, thanks for posting the links for me, thanks to you all for the advice so far, much appreciated, just the sort of advice he/we were looking for. Varzik, yeah dps was bad last night, the second hunter was pulled in at short notice and undergears this fight a bit, the others... well, things seem to be getting worse on that front instead of better, so much for practice making perfect eh, lol, just a general lack of focus and concentration I think, either way this fight is getting very frustrating.
    Still, cheers all, nice constructive advice, ta.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally think the riptide glyph is very well worth using. Granted I don't do heroic raiding anymore, but I find that doing either HWx2 or GHWx2 and then RT and another GHWx2 keeps that haste benefit up 100% of the time from TS. The biggest advice I can give is don't try to pad your numbers. Drop HST on CD (in fact its usually the first thing I do at the start of a pull, HST + RT on tank). Shaman are horrible when our mastery can't take at least some effect. If the **** hits the fan though, a resto shaman is the most likely to keep you alive. ^_^

Deleted
    Haha, holy shit. Your rogue, ret and second hunter (cora). Oh my God.

Deleted
    Thanks Cartho and zshik (and Saozin :P ), some good stuff to work on here, cheers.

On the 7 minute Horridon attempt, not once did he use Unleash Life (and he’s spec-ed into Unleash Fury). That’s nice on high movement fights since it’s instant and can be cast while moving. It seems if he’s going to spec into making that ability even stronger, he’d use it. He also didn’t use greater heal. When you’re two-healing Horridon, there’s quite a bit of damage going out. If he uses UL/GH, it’s a very powerful heal and since he still has the tier 14 4-piece set bonus, GH is 10% less mana. He really needs to try to be vary his heal selection and not rely on healing wave when something else more appropriate would be better. On our 10-man Horridon, Greater Heal is my number one heal, as well as Riptide. That brings me to my next point. I highly suggest against the riptide glyph. The hot is weak and usually results in overheal. On 10 man, it’s easy enough to keep tidal waves up rolling it on 3 targets and weaving CH. I drastically see my hps drop when I decide to use the riptide glyph on a fight. His co-healing pally is going to snipe the heal every time.

As someone else mentioned, he didn’t use Healing Tide once. That’s huge! Our hps is balanced around the use of our CDs. Same with Ascendance.

He needs to switch out the glyph of Telluric Currents if mana is an issue and swap it for Totemic Recall. I’m assuming he’s doing this for the purposes of the mana. He got a whole 5 LBs out during a 7 minute fight. Those 5 LBs returned a whopping 42k mana back, however you have to take into account the mana cost of LB. He could get much more back if he just recalled a few of healing stream totems.

The CH glyph is very beneficial for 10-mans considering you’re more likely to hit 4 targets.

He’s also not using his on-use trinket for the mana back. If mana isn’t an issue, he needs to heal more.

I’d definitely suggest he also reevaluate his stat priority. Drop some of the mastery and pick up crit. Crit gives a ton of mana back via resurgence. So on our Horridon fight, I got over twice the mana back then Lifeforce did because I have twice the crit he does. Mastery isn’t as beneficial if people are generally sitting at 50% or higher hp. The higher the average health of the raid member, the more beneficial crit is. When you’re healing with a disc priest or a pally throwing out absorbs, I would lean towards crit over mastery.

I looked at the Jin’rokh kill and there’s not much specific to that fight other than what I suggested above. Same stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post
    On the 7 minute Horridon attempt, not once did he use Unleash Life (and he’s spec-ed into Unleash Fury). That’s nice on high movement fights since it’s instant and can be cast while moving. It seems if he’s going to spec into making that ability even stronger, he’d use it. He also didn’t use greater heal. When you’re two-healing Horridon, there’s quite a bit of damage going out. If he uses UL/GH, it’s a very powerful heal and since he still has the tier 14 4-piece set bonus, GH is 10% less mana. He really needs to try to be vary his heal selection and not rely on healing wave when something else more appropriate would be better. On our 10-man Horridon, Greater Heal is my number one heal, as well as Riptide. That brings me to my next point. I highly suggest against the riptide glyph. The hot is weak and usually results in overheal. On 10 man, it’s easy enough to keep tidal waves up rolling it on 3 targets and weaving CH. I drastically see my hps drop when I decide to use the riptide glyph on a fight. His co-healing pally is going to snipe the heal every time.

As someone else mentioned, he didn’t use Healing Tide once. That’s huge! Our hps is balanced around the use of our CDs. Same with Ascendance.

He needs to switch out the glyph of Telluric Currents if mana is an issue and swap it for Totemic Recall. I’m assuming he’s doing this for the purposes of the mana. He got a whole 5 LBs out during a 7 minute fight. Those 5 LBs returned a whopping 42k mana back, however you have to take into account the mana cost of LB. He could get much more back if he just recalled a few of healing stream totems.

The CH glyph is very beneficial for 10-mans considering you’re more likely to hit 4 targets.

He’s also not using his on-use trinket for the mana back. If mana isn’t an issue, he needs to heal more.

I’d definitely suggest he also reevaluate his stat priority. Drop some of the mastery and pick up crit. Crit gives a ton of mana back via resurgence. So on our Horridon fight, I got over twice the mana back then Lifeforce did because I have twice the crit he does. Mastery isn’t as beneficial if people are generally sitting at 50% or higher hp. The higher the average health of the raid member, the more beneficial crit is. When you’re healing with a disc priest or a pally throwing out absorbs, I would lean towards crit over mastery.

I looked at the Jin’rokh kill and there’s not much specific to that fight other than what I suggested above. Same stuff.
    What number do you shoot for on Crit?

Quote Originally Posted by xenbrandris View Post
    What number do you shoot for on Crit?
    I go overboard on crit. But I'd say shoot for 18-20%. I stay between 48-50% mastery and then the rest into crit (after I reach my chosen haste breakpoint).

Generally, if you look at other ranked shamans, they are stacking spirit and crit at this point.

Deleted
    As much crit and spirit as you can get, though much of it with spirit is up to you.

Many of the top resto shaman you may armoury have absurd amounts of spirit, not because they need it, but to buff mana tide. I currently have ~11k spirit (my gear's ass, don't even talk to me about drops in ToT) and I find Horridon to be quite tight on mana - so generally speaking you want lots. Despite this, I tend to gem int / spirit in red sockets so I don't gimp my throughput too much.

Also yeah not suing unleash elements is ia big no no. In UF spec there are some considerations:

WITH UNLEASHED FURY:
    - Unleash Elements will grant you a buff, and the TARGET of UE a buff. Casting a single target, direct heal such as HW, GHW, HS or Riptide directly after UE will give you a massive, souped up heal. BUT, if you cast UE and then cast a healing rain, you will get a 30% buffed HR like you would normally, but the 50% buff from the UF talent will still be on your target. This allows you to then slap them with a 50% buffed Riptide / GHW. You can use this to adapt the way you handle UE based on the situation. A massive GHW if someone drops low - by casting Unleash Elements on them and then GHW (with Ancestral swiftness if necessary). I've seen 450k + crits doing this. Or, you can cast Unleash Elements on the tank, then drop a healing Rain, then cast Riptide on the tank. This gives you the best spread of healing buffs, as it means a normal 30% buffed healing rain and a 50% buffed Riptide.

Also, don't pay too much attention to what people are telling you regarding heal percentages and which spells they find do the most healing etc - this will vary enormously by group comp and the role you take. I raid with a Mistweaver and a Disco Priest, and GHW is rarely in my top 4 sources of healing on Horridon.

I also notice that he is using Glyph of Totemic Recall, but on the Jinrokh kill he didn't use it even once - this is a waste of a glyph slot and, more importantly, is a waste of an extraordinarily powerful mana regen tool. It does require a little getting used to, and ideally a good UI with a clear and easily visible timer for HST. I have a timer for HST and a weak auras warning that pops up when HST has less than 4 seconds left on it's duration - so I know that soon it will be time to recall it.

Deleted
    I go overboard on crit. But I'd say shoot for 18-20%. I stay between 48-50% mastery and then the rest into crit (after I reach my chosen haste breakpoint).

Generally, if you look at other ranked shamans, they are stacking spirit and crit at this point.
    This guy seems do be doing pretty well: http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...sm%C3%A4starn/
    He's going all out crit/spirit. And from my own experience, it seems like the way to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavalynn View Post

I go for as much crit as possible and see to it that I have spirit on everything and my gem sockets filled with as much spirit as I can as well. But I'm wearing int trinkets with mana-regen components on them instead of mana-battery-spirit-trinkets (because in 10-man, you're a weak battery when only a maximum of 2 other people can benefit from you). Ample amounts of spirit are nice, but just not as relentlessly as most 25-man mana batteries do it.

Since I got T15-2pc, I found it a good idea to invest into some more haste so as to grab an extra tick on the totem (I don't recall EVERY totem, because sometimes, you just can't because other things are more important than saving that mana).

So, I'm running with 3764+ haste, and everything else is reforged to crit. I avoid mastery and reforge it away where I can't avoid it so as to get the most out of the better stats. And I'm looking to replace the mastery stuff that I still have... I'll get some of it back when I get set shoulders and helmet though >_< Why couldn't they just slap an ample amount of crit on there instead? *grumbles*