Thread: 2013 MLB Thread

Page 1 of 41
... LastLast

2013 MLB Thread

Mod highjack of the thread this will be the thread that will be the discussion for the 2013 MLB season

With today being opening day and no thread about the new season started yet figured I would get one going. My World series prediction is Braves and Tigers. Im a die hard Braves fan but I think we boosted our lineup even after losing Chipper and our pitching is nasty. I know we usually choke in the playoffs but not this year.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-04-03 at 01:59 AM.

I can't see there being a rational argument that the Braves should even be picked to win the NL East. Sure, Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, and Haren could all have their arms explode, but failing that the Nats are pretty much just better at everything.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Cano drops his agent and signs with Jay-z's agency I don't know how that would work if he is trying to get into sports agency since he somewhat (1%) owns a NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I can't see there being a rational argument that the Braves should even be picked to win the NL East. Sure, Strasburg, Gio, Zimmermann, and Haren could all have their arms explode, but failing that the Nats are pretty much just better at everything.
    What are everyone's picks for division winners at this point?

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blue Jays

Tigers

Angels

NL

Nationals

Reds

Giants

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    AL NL
    Jays Dodgers
    Tigers Nats
    Angels Brewers

Wild Cards I think White Sox,O's or A's=Red Sox (don't know why)
    D-backs, Giants, or Braves=Phillies

I think Rangers are going to take a hard fall this year same with Yanks. Cards and Pirates will stale out this year I think.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    What are everyone's picks for division winners at this point?
    Nationals
    Reds
    Giants

Angels
    Tigers
    Rays

What can I say, I'm not very original.

NL: Nats, Reds, Dodgers (WC: Giants, Cards)
    AL: Tigers, Angels, O's (WC: Yanks, A's)

Everyone's jizzing over the Jays but those same people were jizzing over the Marlins last year, they're good, but are they CONSISTENT, I honestly like the O's more because they're together from last year, have some upside and well, lets just say Buck's done some good work over there add to that a year of experience it'll be dangerous.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by koodledrum View Post
    Everyone's jizzing over the Jays but those same people were jizzing over the Marlins last year, they're good, but are they CONSISTENT, I honestly like the O's more because they're together from last year, have some upside and well, lets just say Buck's done some good work over there add to that a year of experience it'll be dangerous.
    Last year's record in one run games screams regression pretty strongly. I think the O's are probably a better team than they were in 2012, but the 2012 team was 11 games above its Pythagorean record. They're going to have to be a lot better than last year's team to get to 90 wins again, since their chances of repeating the same level of luck is very, very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Last year's record in one run games screams regression pretty strongly. I think the O's are probably a better team than they were in 2012, but the 2012 team was 11 games above its Pythagorean record. They're going to have to be a lot better than last year's team to get to 90 wins again, since their chances of repeating the same level of luck is very, very low.

If the Orioles can make it through May watch out. They are like the Pirates. They blow it up the first month-month and a half and then just call it quits come June.

Im curious as to how the interleague play is working this season. I love interleague and it sucks its only like 3 weeks every year. With it being mixed in throughout the regular season are there actually more games or just the same amount spread out over the full season rather than having them all 2 weeks here and then 2 weeks there?

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    ...are there actually more games or just the same amount spread out over the full season rather than having them all 2 weeks here and then 2 weeks there?
    I'm not sure... I just went through my team's schedule, and it looks like we have 20 interleague games: 3 with each of the NL east teams (4 with the Marlins, for some reason, lucky us), and 4 with our traditional interleague "rival". Not sure how that compares to previous years.

---------- Post added 2013-04-05 at 12:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    If the Orioles can make it through May watch out. They are like the Pirates. They blow it up the first month-month and a half and then just call it quits come June.
    My guys are playing the O's today. I be cheering to help make the implosion start early.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think this may be a down year for my Rangers, but I still think we will be fighting for a WC if not the Division down the stretch. I really hope the booing of Hamilton calms down after this series though. He was a great player for us and a big part of making the team relevant again, a few poor comments shouldn't take away from the good he did here.

Side note: Really weird seeing 5 teams in our division.

Booing of Hamilton was more to do with his comments regarding Texas being a football state & not a baseball state - he was always going to hear it over that, they gave as good as they got, after all he just slated them!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Booing of Hamilton was more to do with his comments regarding Texas being a football state & not a baseball state - he was always going to hear it over that, they gave as good as they got, after all he just slated them!
    Yup I know why they booed him, if he kept his mouth shut after he left it wouldn't have been nearly as bad, and if he joined any other division he might have got a standing O. I'm just hoping it's not like A Rod where we boo him everytime he comes to Arlington.

Again, booing of Arod's perfectly justified, hell we boo his sorry ass - mostly because I don't think there's anyone in baseball who isn't sick of him yet!

NL East race is gonna be crazy. Yea its only been a week but wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    NL East race is gonna be crazy. Yea its only been a week but wow.
    "The last place Yankees." I like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yup braves/nationals will be leading the way :P
    Stationed at McGuire, AFB.
    PC Specs: i5-3570K, GTX 690, Gigabyte UD5H, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Corsair AX750, H100i, Phantom 630 case, Asus VH236H

I'd boo Hamilton on general principle. What a spectacular douchebag that guy is.