10+ Year Old Account
    Could I get some gentle advice on a game I just played?
    I say gentle because tbh it was one of my worst games. I'm pretty embarrassed to even put my name on it. I also wound up with some bloke raging at me the whole time which really didn't help.
    Now I'm not gonna lie, I'm mediocre average at dota and I know a lot of people here are probably far better than me so I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.

The match id is - 164949032 and I was playing Void. I would like some advice on what I could've ultimately done better. I really didn't like that game and tbh feel like it's been my low point with DOTA so I really want to know how I can learn from it.

It begins.

---------- Post added 2013-04-03 at 08:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I say gentle because tbh it was one of my worst games. I'm pretty embarrassed to even put my name on it. I also wound up with some bloke raging at me the whole time which really didn't help.
    Now I'm not gonna lie, I'm mediocre average at dota and I know a lot of people here are probably far better than me so I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.

The match id is - 164949032 and I was playing Void. I would like some advice on what I could've ultimately done better. I really didn't like that game and tbh feel like it's been my low point with DOTA so I really want to know how I can learn from it.
    I watched most of it, you shouldn't feel terrible because your team were scapegoating you, they didn't really play any better and you died only 3 times as a hard carry in a 30 minute game when the rest of your team died 8-10 times each.

Early game you had a very shitty 1v2 lane to be playing as a melee hero. Don't block the creep wave in safe lane or what happened there might happen, moving the lane out of the vicinity of your tower might be lethal to you. Clockwerk did you some favors by spamming rockets to keep the lane at your tower. Your last hitting wasn't bad, but it could have been a bit better, and you could have prevented the tower from hogging many of your last hits, and you could have at some points gotten free denies which you ignored. As a melee carry against ranged heroes, especially Veno, you need to be scared of taking too much damage when last hitting, but because you have an escape as long as you're near tower you don't need to be afraid of getting killed from 80% hp. Your enemies weren't too aggressive and occasionally backed from the lane but you were still reluctant to go and take lasthits even you were close enough to your tower to Time Walk to safety and live even if they blew all their spells on you.

On your early item choices, Poor Man's was a very good idea, but upgrading to Wand wasn't. You can just leave your Branches wherever, but on a lane like that you need to be rushing to either get sources of regen (Ring, Tranquils, lifesteal) or Treads and some consumables as soon as you can. You also didn't necessarily need to max out Time Walk.

Mid game is where your team went wrong. Enemy team was stronger in team fights and your teammates did a lot of pointless dying. You could have told people to relax a bit and farm/split push when enemy were coming in your mid lane, but instead you all went and died. Or even if your teammates insisted on defending, since you had some decent teamfight synergy with UD/Void/BM, you could have preemptively told them to stay at the tower and not dive into the river like everyone did. Your team made a lot of bad decisions which probably is the biggest reason you lost, and if it was for lack of coordination you could have perhaps taken the role of a captain and told them to just slow down enemy pushes while you and Sylla went to other lanes.

My biggest criticism toward you in this game would be your later item choices after you managed to grab some kills in mid. Your enemies had no carries and they were clearly big in the pushing/5-manning thing, so going for farming items like BF can lose you a game if you aren't certain that you can hold onto your base for another 15 minutes. MoM was also not a good choice, you had low HP and the enemy had major nukers in Visage and Puck. What you could have done in this game is get Tranquil Boots and PMS early on, make up for bad early farm with maybe a Wraith Band (or Bracer or Drums or Aquila), then farmed up enough money to get Treads and Morbid Mask for farming and then looked at the game to make a decision between BKB or Desolator or Vlads or Maelstrom with maybe a casual Yasha thrown in.

Not saying there wasn't room for improvement, but like I said you shouldn't feel overly bad about losing that game. You were a hard carry and the game barely lasted over 20 minutes. Just account for what your enemies' game plan seems to be when doing your shopping.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-04-03 at 09:37 PM.

Didn't go Shadow Blade* on Void?

Lesson learned.

*not necessarily serious advice

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Didn't go Shadow Blade* on Void?

Lesson learned.

*not necessarily serious advice
    I've seen a Shadow Blade Riki, I cringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Faceless Void View Post
    I've seen a Shadow Blade Riki, I cringed.
    literally my last game

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    I've seen it built on Slark which I think was very clever as it allowed him to get more use out of his ult tho I woudn't suggest it.

It worked well with Essence Flux as it allowed him to hit and run, constantly poking and stealing their stats leading upto a team fight and made landing pounce alot easier.

I quit playing dota for a couple years and have just now started getting back into it with dota2. Overall I'd say I'm pretty average right now as well so feel free to pm/add me, I really need to find more people to play with since queuing solo seems can be a nightmare at times.

http://dotabuff.com/players/23256981
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    <snip>
    Okay massive thanks! I'll probably reread this a couple times to get it all in.

This might sound too obvious a question, but you say just dump the branches? I take you mean just sell them? I only really built a wand because of the clockwerk, but I suppose it was a bit much for something like that.

I'm currently really trying to find a intermediate guide or something or when to pick items on who and when for characters, it does seem to be my most common problem in games.

This might sound too obvious a question, but you say just dump the branches? I take you mean just sell them? I only really built a wand because of the clockwerk, but I suppose it was a bit much for something like that.
    You can sell them or just drop them in the ground and forget about them. You only lose 26 gold if you destroy them. Wand is a good item but that early in the game it didn't do you much, especially since you weren't using mana or fighting much. 3 Branches cost 159 gold, completed wand costs 509, buying a Wand just because you don't want to 'waste' branches isn't always the best decision.

When you play carry going for farming items (BF and Midas) can be tempting, but you have to consider if you can actually get away with it. If your enemy can push all your towers (and maybe rax) before you get the item that comes AFTER battlefury you probably didn't get away with it. If Nightstalker ganks you 4 times during the first night because you went Midas on Sniper you're doing the opposite of getting away. It's like going for fast expansions in Starcraft.
    Last edited by Hermanni; 2013-04-03 at 09:51 PM.

Deleted
    Shadow Blade best item on Void. AS and damage. What more do you need?

Haven't watched your replay but some tips on last hitting under tower: If you hit a creep once while tower is hitting on it it will bring the creep to perfect health for you to last hit. This is assuming only tower and you are on the creeps and you have no Quelling as Void. If you have Quelling, just drop it while last hitting under tower.

Also when you are melee against ranged, you can right click them to draw the creep aggro towards you and closer to your tower.
    Last edited by mmoc9f3c8526e6; 2013-04-04 at 12:40 AM.

Deleted

I saw that game,and it's sad that like Hermanni said you were made out to be the scapegoat.
    You often were the last man standing and ironically some people think that means you're bad when you actually made a good decision not to go throw yourself on a plate.
    First of all there is no reason to be ashamed of that game,you did average.
    The only reason you feel ashamed is because you got bashed on the chat.
    Well I started dota 2 a few weeks ago so I can certify you I've been through just the same situations,and still do sometimes when I have a bad game.
    But I can give you some advice on that.
    -->Being friendly doesn't work and neither does ignoring.
    It really doesn't.What works perfectly?Being as rude as them.It's simple,if they don't respect you and they call you names you return the favor immediately.

When that Undying said : ''lol this fucking void'' and so on....
    I would have said : ''stfu my skill is none of your business''
    He didn't seem too pushy so I think that would have done it and Lone Druid wouldn't have started bashing too.

These are other lines you can use to counter getting insulted in chat,they always work I can guarantee that :
    ''stfu crybaby,stop whining''
    ''i'm not your teammate jerkface,so go make your own team or play public games and stfu about others''
    ''my skill is none of your business piece of ****''
    ''did your diaper go loose?stop crying b***''

Be creative and make your own or use these,they really work and then you're free to play your game without having to worry about getting insulted any more.
    I throw these bullets everytime someone starts unrightfully criticizing someone on the chat.This community really needs to change.There's nothing wrong with losing games or trying new items or doing bad but then someone shows up to spread their venom and ruin the fun of the game.
    Last edited by mmocba4f7a59a4; 2013-04-04 at 01:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    You often were the last man standing and ironically some people think that means you're bad when you actually made a good decision not to go throw yourself on a plate.
    I believe it was one of the last engagements where I wound up farming the top lane a little that I didn't engage in a fight. I'm pretty sure that was more my bad though. The problem seemed to be getting consistent farm. I didn't exactly lane perfectly and missed my fair share of last hits, while my lane setup really didn't help at all I did kinda bugger it up.

Well I started dota 2 a few weeks ago so I can certify you I've been through just the same situations,and still do sometimes when I have a bad game.
    Well I don't feel as ashamed, but I still feel guilty as I know could've done better. I don't know if me playing better would have truly made a massive impact on the result or stopped the whining as much but I can assume it would've somewhat minimised it.

It really doesn't.What works perfectly?Being as rude as them.It's simple,if they don't respect you and they call you names you return the favor immediately.

He didn't seem too pushy so I think that would have done it and Lone Druid wouldn't have started bashing too.
    Okay. Problem is I'm not sure how "me" that is. I'll be honest and say that game was the first time I've really been pissed off with what somebody has said. Normally I do just ignore it, or try to argue somewhat rationally without resorting to name calling on a rare occasion. I don't like calling people out on shit even in Dota. I understand the idea of puffing your chest out though. I've just never been that type of person.

It wasn't was't really even the name calling in essence, it was how constant it was kinda like a crying kid on an aeroplane.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw that game,and it's sad that like Hermanni said you were made out to be the scapegoat.

These are other lines you can use to counter getting insulted in chat,they always work I can guarantee that :
    ''stfu crybaby,stop whining''
    ''i'm not your teammate jerkface,so go make your own team or play public games and stfu about others''
    ''my skill is none of your business piece of ****''
    ''did your diaper go loose?stop crying b***''

Be creative and make your own or use these,they really work and then you're free to play your game without having to worry about getting insulted any more.
    I throw these bullets everytime someone starts unrightfully criticizing someone on the chat.This community really needs to change.There's nothing wrong with losing games or trying new items or doing bad but then someone shows up to spread their venom and ruin the fun of the game.
    If you will try to insult people who insults you, they will drop their mouse and start flaming you by typing in two hands. Ignoring works great, if you see someone flaming you - put them on ignore list and move along, you will never meet them again.

I love how you say that "community needs to change" and give advice how to be a total dickhead in game in the one post

I believe it was one of the last engagements where I wound up farming the top lane a little that I didn't engage in a fight. I'm pretty sure that was more my bad though. The problem seemed to be getting consistent farm. I didn't exactly lane perfectly and missed my fair share of last hits, while my lane setup really didn't help at all I did kinda bugger it up.

Well I don't feel as ashamed, but I still feel guilty as I know could've done better. I don't know if me playing better would have truly made a massive impact on the result or stopped the whining as much but I can assume it would've somewhat minimised it.

Okay. Problem is I'm not sure how "me" that is. I'll be honest and say that game was the first time I've really been pissed off with what somebody has said. Normally I do just ignore it, or try to argue somewhat rationally without resorting to name calling on a rare occasion. I don't like calling people out on shit even in Dota. I understand the idea of puffing your chest out though. I've just never been that type of person.

It wasn't was't really even the name calling in essence, it was how constant it was kinda like a crying kid on an aeroplane.
    Anything could be done better. Don't bug with it too much, just concentrate on a game little more and don't get distracted, with experience you will get better.

If someone got time to type an insult (i remember people even dying while typing to other players how bad they are), they already have something with their head, because, you know, any normal human being knows that insulting others won't lead to their improvement, it will make them upset (doubt it) and they will play even worse.

I will edit my post after finishing replay of your game to try to help you
    1) Usually, you don't want to block easy lane without QBlade, because you will lose last hits to tower.
    2) You can pull enemy creeps on you by right clicking enemy hero (any hero, even on other line), creeps will get angry and start attacking you, then you just turn around, and run towerds your tower so you can have better position to get last hits as melee hero.
    3) When you dinged 6 level and leveled your ult, enemy pounded Syla (i know that he is stupid and didn't pulled neutrals to your line and overall he performed bad in this game) right above you. You could timewalk in them and use chrono to lock them in and save him, but instead, you was doing this shuffle moving on lane and watched them killing syla (i watched replay from your perspective and seen them in a top half part of your screen).

Overall, you managed to not feed enemy, but you didn't get any farm from you line (that's what happens on hard line, but you was on easy and that Syla on your team sucked hard at assisting you). So, enemy team did a good job at denying your farm and all i can say is that you (and by you i mean you and your team) have got outplayed by enemy team (thanks for very "useful" Syla). Because, it's what you do when you see a Void in enemy team, you babysit him so he gets zero farm and gets useless in mid-late game, then you ward up forest, and it's GG, void can't get farm at all.
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-04-04 at 12:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    If someone got time to type an insult (i remember people even dying while typing to other players how bad they are), they already have something with their head, because, you know, any normal human being knows that insulting others won't lead to their improvement, it will make them upset (doubt it) and they will play even worse.

I will edit my post after finishing replay of your game to try to help you[/FONT]
    Yeah, best answer to assholes and trolls is to ignore them and report them. Don't even respond - just press the little speaker icon on the scoreboard and report them when you have time.

It's pretty unusual for a day to go by that I don't receive a notice that someone I reported got sent to low priority hell; that's why I report people. My individual vote doesn't count, but if they're a dick in one game, there's a good chance they're a dick in a lot of games, and even if just one person per game reports them... well, pretty soon that adds up to them being given a weeklong vacation from regular queue.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    @Scummer

Yeah that constant crying creates a sort of pressure on your game experience.I know the feel.
    I have a problem when you say you feel guilty that you could have done better.Or when you say ''I'm pretty sure it that was more my bad though''.
    In a public game you don't own anything to others.Aside from genuinely trying to win.
    Well I can understand that you don't really want to behave like that.
    But it works perfectly well for me,so I'm just trying to help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a problem when you say you feel guilty that you could have done better.Or when you say ''I'm pretty sure it that was more my bad though''.
    I've always been a hard teacher on myself, and I've got a habit of being a glass half empty type person so the two go hand in hand.

---------- Post added 2013-04-04 at 04:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I will edit my post after finishing replay of your game to try to help you
    1) Usually, you don't want to block easy lane without QBlade, because you will lose last hits to tower.
    2) You can pull enemy creeps on you by right clicking enemy hero (any hero, even on other line), creeps will get angry and start attacking you, then you just turn around, and run towerds your tower so you can have better position to get last hits as melee hero.
    3) When you dinged 6 level and leveled your ult, enemy pounded Syla (i know that he is stupid and didn't pulled neutrals to your line and overall he performed bad in this game) right above you. You could timewalk in them and use chrono to lock them in and save him, but instead, you was doing this shuffle moving on lane and watched them killing syla (i watched replay from your perspective and seen them in a top half part of your screen).
    Ok thanks! That first point has popped up again . That second point seems new to me, or at least utilising it in a way like that. Third is true that was my bad.

@Scummer

Yeah that constant crying creates a sort of pressure on your game experience.I know the feel.
    In a public game you don't own anything to others.Aside from genuinely trying to win.
    Well I can understand that you don't really want to behave like that.
    But it works perfectly well for me,so I'm just trying to help.
    Please do not listen to a thing this person tells you.

Like ChargeMeDoctor said, it baffles my mind how someone can be such a terrible teammate and then say "The community needs to change".

It's a team game, what you owe to your teammates (yes even in pub games) is to try and work together. This can range from, coordinating in chat/voice, pings, saying when someone in your lane is missing, calling out runes, calling out what enemy heros have bought (shadowblade, midas, etc), coordinating who's buying what (wards, courier, upgraded courier, sentries, dust, mek, pipe, etc), dictating when to back out of a push/engagement, when to engage, asking for tp's, etc.

If your teammates want to flame you for no reason and curse you out, then ignore them like Pizza says. I feel that this is a pretty uncommon occurence. It definitely happens, but usually non-psychotic people don't just attack people for no reason. Don't stoop to their level if they want to be assholes. If they insist on flaming, click the mute button and move on. Focus on improving your play in every game. This doesn't only mean your individual play, but also how you play as part of a team, coordinating with them, moving as one when necessary, split pushing when necessary, etc.

Dota is a team game and should be played as one.

Good luck to you, and as in everything, practice makes perfect. Well, maybe not perfect, but better

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzz View Post
    I feel that this is a pretty uncommon occurence. It definitely happens, but usually non-psychotic people don't just attack people for no reason.
    I can't help but feel you don't spend much time solo queuing low priority. It happens all the time, due to the "It was everyone's fault but mine" mentality that gets people put there in the first place, whether through reports or abandons.

As for the void game, I haven't actually seen the replay (side note, how do I view replays?), but from reading the replies in this thread, I gathered that you didn't have a quelling blade. You need this as almost every melee carry. It makes lasthitting so, so much easier.
    Last edited by mmoc6f376c0517; 2013-04-04 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFurry View Post
    I can't help but feel you don't spend much time solo queuing low priority. It happens all the time, due to the "It was everyone's fault but mine" mentality that gets people put there in the first place, whether through reports or abandons.

As for the void game, I haven't actually seen the replay (side note, how do I view replays?), but from reading the replies in this thread, I gathered that you didn't have a quelling blade. You need this as almost every melee carry. It makes lasthitting so, so much easier.
    You are correct, I don't spend much time in LPQ. Maybe this is a chicken/egg dilemma for you. Is it possible your way of speaking to teammates has landed you in LPQ often, and not the other way around?

Also, I wouldn't say you NEED a quelling blade on every melee carry. I think it depends on what kind of lane you're in, how much harass enemies have, how much harass your supports can provide to make last hitting easier for you, what kind of base damage/armor you have. Also, I may be mistaken, but I think you can be a QB in side shop, so if you see you will need one, can always get one then.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyzz View Post
    Is it possible your way of speaking to teammates has landed you in LPQ often, and not the other way around?

Also, I wouldn't say you NEED a quelling blade on every melee carry. I think it depends on what kind of lane you're in, how much harass enemies have, how much harass your supports can provide to make last hitting easier for you, what kind of base damage/armor you have. Also, I may be mistaken, but I think you can be a QB in side shop, so if you see you will need one, can always get one then.
    I get in low pri from abandons, I generally don't speak at all, except to say "ss", "gj" "glhf", and "ggwp"

As for the QB, perhaps I was going a bit far to say "almost every melee carry", but still, it's definitely a starting item for void. Definitely some carries don't need it, like PL, but it's difficult to overstate how good it is on most super-late game carries.