Character Biography: Brewmaster Hulocka

Name: Hulocka Nightstrike
    Race: Night Elf
    Class: Brewmaster monk
    Languages: Common, Darnassian
    Faction: Alliance

Personality: Hulocka is a fun girl who is highly social, loud, and rarely sober, though sometimes she becomes quiet and prefers to be alone. When faced with danger, Hulocka is always calm, quick, and rash. While she may come off as immature at times, she knows how to buckle down when necessary.

Likes: She loves beer! Brews, ales, the whole lot. Hulocka loves being in the company of Pandaren or Draenei, mostly because of spending so much time around Mojo Stormstout and the Draenei during her training in the ways of the monk. She enjoys social settings and getting drunk, but she also appreciates time to herself.
    Dislikes: Hulocka despises the Horde. She has an absolute hatred for Orcs and Goblins because of what they did to Azshara and Ashenvale, lands her parents described as once beautiful now destroyed. Blood Elves and Trolls also boil her blood, as Blood Elves are magic crazed and Trolls are...well, trolls. She finds the actions of the Forsaken to be revolting and believes them to be the Horde's personal Scourge. While Hulocka does dislike conflict, she will not hesitate to attack or kill a member of the Horde.

Appearance: For a Night Elf, Hulocka is a bit short, closer to the height of a tall human male. She has pale purple skin and dark purple hair that reaches just past her shoulders. She wears a white headband on top of her head, which adds to her girlish face, and a red headband around her forehead. Her eyes shine bright, silver in color. Unlike most Elves, her face is full, her figure not quite as lean, though she prides in her appearance. She wields a staff given to her by a Pandaren crafter and wears some brown and green leather armor, also crafted by Pandaren.

Strengths/Weaknesses: Hulocka is a great Brewmaster, and there is no doubt about that, but she often over-prides herself in her competence. While she knows nothing is black and white, she has no sympathy for members of the Horde and will often raise conflict with them if she can so she has "reason" to kill. Her rash behavior in battle is both an asset and a detriment to her, though no major consequence has come from it as of yet.

History: Hulocka Silverleaf was one of the Night Elves that came to aid the Draenei after they were discovered to have crashed. Helping them gather their survivors, she saw that a Pandaren who went by the name Mojo Stormstout was helping the alien race as well. She soon learned he was teaching some of their people the ways of the Pandaren monks and approached him in doing the same with her.
    Learning the ways of the Pandaren, Hulocka opted to go the route of a Brewmaster and eventually changed her name to Hulocka Nightstrike.
    Making residence in the Exodar, Hulocka trained under Stormstout. While the Pandaren traveled, Hulocka would practice her skills with Stormstout's Draenei students. Mojo would frequently visit to continue teaching his students. Hulocka picked up the ways of the monk and Brewmaster rather quickly and would travel to Ironforge often to increase her knowledge of brews and ales.
    When word reached that Pandaria was discovered and fleets had just hit landfall, Hulocka finally set out abroad, hoping to learn more in the ways of the Pandaren. She is now traveling to the lands of Pandaria, hoping to perfect her knowledge of the monk, of the Brewmaster, of balance, and of control.

Let me know what lore mistakes there are, since I'm still relatively new to Warcraft lore, so I probably got some bits wrong.
    Edit 1: Fixed some issues due to the actual timeline and removed all the unnecessary languages.
    Edit 2: Revamped story and got rid of "OH NO DEAD FAMILY", changed personality, added to appearance, and gave character more flavor.
    Last edited by leggomydairy; 2013-04-06 at 02:40 AM.

Welcome to the RP Forums!

First of all, I really like the character concept. Sounds like a fun Character to RP with.

On Lore incosistencies, since your character is a monk, that is difficult. I must admit I'm a bit out of the loop with Pandaria Lore, But I would assume that, since no other source contradicts it, the Monk trainers were only available at the start of Mists of Pandaria. So it would not be possible for your Character to have been a Monk during the time of the former expansions. But if you give her a natural interest in Brews, and think of an occupation before her being a monk, this can very well work out.

On a personal Note, I would like to see more explicit weaknesses, and perhaps a discription of her clothing. Also, again a personal opinion, I would dial back on the languages a bit. The Alliance between Nightelves and Humans/Dwarfs only exists since Warcraft 3, and the Draenei and Pandaren came in even later. So there was very few time to learn that many languages.

Hope this is of help. And if you want to jump into Roleplaying, may I suggest the Salty Sailor Tavern? Since it is a Bar, I think your Character will feel downright comfortable.

I wanted her to be a bit trained before the discovery of the Pandaren, so I had her on the one isle off the Draenei starting zone because Mojo Stormstout, the Pandaren monk trainer for Draenei, says he heard the ship crash, meaning he's 'been there' since the Burning Crusade.
    I was looking at the timeline of WoW, though, and it seems every expansion takes place around a year after the one before in game, meaning a mere two years after Burning Crusade was Cataclysm, which doesn't really give her a lot of time to learn from Mojo before leaving for Darkshore. I'm probably going to revamp her story a bit, since I want it to work out lore-wise, which means she won't have the ten-ish years I thought existed between BC and Mists to learn the ways of the monk...she has three. Which means her knowledge of the Draenei and Pandaren languages are limited to such basics that they are unnecessary to even mention.
    Thank you for the advice!

While I like the character, I have a question. Why make yet another "personal tragedy shaped me into how I am" character? I am currently on Argent Dawn EU, quite a big RP server, and if I have to believer every RP char I meet, 99% of the people are orphans because all their parents/family died in some accident.

Not meant as critic, but just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    While I like the character, I have a question. Why make yet another "personal tragedy shaped me into how I am" character? I am currently on Argent Dawn EU, quite a big RP server, and if I have to believer every RP char I meet, 99% of the people are orphans because all their parents/family died in some accident.

Not meant as critic, but just curious.
    To be fair... think about it.

In just the past 10 years alone, the Alliance and Horde have had to deal with: A mad night elf turned half demon, the Lich King, each other, a dragon who ripped open the very earth under their feet and caused the Cataclysm, the Thunder King, the Quiraj, Yogg-Saron, Naxxramas (twice!) and a bunch of other shit.

Azeroth's not exactly the friendliest place to live.

And depending on the race or your character's age, it's highly likely that a character would have lost a good amount of their family... for example, if you play a high or blood elf or a Stormwind human who was a kid during the first war. Very high chances that your family was slaughtered by the undead or orcs, respectively.

I must side with Maddy in this Argument, being orphaned or having close and loved ones die is not really special in a world that is shaken by a tragedy roughly every other year. Also a more meta-gamey reason, you don't have to make up your whole family's background in addition to your own. One could argue that with an extensive markup of a family, if not played by other players, the effort fairly extends the use. But this is a bit off topic.

Also I didn't know that the Monk trainers have been retconned. It was known that few Pandaren, mostly of the wandering Isle were already present in pre-Mist Azeroth. Since there seems to be ingame evidence that this one was, you're good to go. Assume he has been there since BC. Also I agree with dialing back on the Languages.
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2013-04-04 at 08:36 AM.

I just dislike it. Try being in an RP guild, 90% had their family slaughtered of, vengeance, blablabla. Where did the "I want to explore the world, and leave my family behind" idea go? Or is that suddenly impossible?

I just dislike it. Try being in an RP guild, 90% had their family slaughtered of, vengeance, blablabla. Where did the "I want to explore the world, and leave my family behind" idea go? Or is that suddenly impossible?
    It's not impossible, it's just very likely that very many of said character's relatives are dead. Take the high/blood elves: About 10% of the original population (before the undead assault) remains (likely less now with everything that's gone on). Of that, about 1% remained highelves; the rest became blood elves.

If your character is either a blood or high elves, there is a very, very, very good chance the majority of the people they were related to or knew are dead (Hell, your character is likely lucky to be alive).

I actually really understand (and agree) that the whole "my whole family died woe is me" character story is rather overdone, but this is my first real character biography so I figured that something like that would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorianas View Post
    Also I didn't know that the Monk trainers have been retconned. It was known that few Pandaren, mostly of the wandering Isle were already present in pre-Mist Azeroth. Since there seems to be ingame evidence that this one was, you're good to go. Assume he has been there since BC. Also I agree with dialing back on the Languages.
    It's less that they've all been retconned and more that they just kinda added him specifically to the Draenei starting zone and made his dialogue say he's been there the whole time, which is okay anyway cause he's not on the Wandering Isle at all.

Quote Originally Posted by bandcamp16 View Post
    It's less that they've all been retconned and more that they just kinda added him specifically to the Draenei starting zone and made his dialogue say he's been there the whole time, which is okay anyway cause he's not on the Wandering Isle at all.
    Adding something later, to claim it has been there all the time, is exactly what a retcon is. And since the training NPCs are rather game-mechanicy I didn't want to conclude anything from them, without this concrete info. The Darkspear for example have a troll monk trainer, with a padaren NPC next to him. I assumed the common story was that the trainers arrived with the discovery of Pandaria, which would have been a problem in your case. And concerning the Wandering Isle bit, as far as I know, every Pandaren that left Pandaria pre Mists, was travelling with on the Wandering Isle, so he was bound to have been on it someday.

Adding something later, to claim it has been there all the time, is exactly what a retcon is. And since the training NPCs are rather game-mechanicy I didn't want to conclude anything from them, without this concrete info. The Darkspear for example have a troll monk trainer, with a padaren NPC next to him. I assumed the common story was that the trainers arrived with the discovery of Pandaria, which would have been a problem in your case. And concerning the Wandering Isle bit, as far as I know, every Pandaren that left Pandaria pre Mists, was travelling with on the Wandering Isle, so he was bound to have been on it someday.
    ah makes sense. Sorry, I got confused on that retcon thing for a bit haha

Revamped character story!
    Last edited by leggomydairy; 2013-04-06 at 02:41 AM.

No reason to apologize, Retcons are confusing, and always will be. "That has been retconned" ended some discussion in the RP-IRC. The Character story is okay, I must admit I liked it better with her family dying since it was a more consistent reason for her to join the draenei. But that's a personal opinion.

One thing that I find a bit extreme, is that she despises the Horde, as it seems without very strong personal reasons. She herself did not yet suffer any punischment from the Horde, yet you use such a strong form of dislike. Or was it your intention that her strong dislike for the Horde ends up as a weakness?

And to be clear, this is all just suggestions. The story works as it is, you don't have to change anything. Maybe explain a bit more.

I must admit I liked it better with her family dying since it was a more consistent reason for her to join the draenei. But that's a personal opinion.
    I think we share in that hahaha. It's not perfect. I liked the original better.

One thing that I find a bit extreme, is that she despises the Horde, as it seems without very strong personal reasons. She herself did not yet suffer any punischment from the Horde, yet you use such a strong form of dislike. Or was it your intention that her strong dislike for the Horde ends up as a weakness?
    to be blunt, I PvP on her a lot so I wanted her to hate Hordies and don't really have a rational reason yet

I think we share in that hahaha. It's not perfect. I liked the original better.
    Then change it back. Both versions are completely valid from a Story/lore point of view. Go with what you like then.

to be blunt, I PvP on her a lot so I wanted her to hate Hordies and don't really have a rational reason yet
    Being a Nightelf, and a friend of the Draenei the most obvious race to start your Horde hate with are the orcs. The Orc/Draenei war on Draenor and the Orc/Nightelf conflict in Ashenvale are both bloody enough to justify a start for Horde hate. If you then just go with the War, a hardening towards the other races is bound to happen.

Wow I almost forgot about this D:
    Thanks for your help Khorianas