Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because there are different options available. People can argue which game is better but what matters is the time people have invested into each game. Lets take wow as a prime example, lets say you joined wow in Wrath, from then 2008-2013 that is 5 years of time invested into the wow culture, character and lore. To just say drop all of that and join another game (in this case Rift) isn't worth it to a lot of people and that is why wow remains #1 in my eyes. It has nothing to do with which game is better it is to do with either continuing years of hard work and achievement to drop it and join, what could possibly be a game that is worse.

That's just my view, I tried Rift and quit because the story did not engage me, if a story cannot grab me I don't play no matter how innovative it is, look at Guild Wars 2, awesome mechanics, events etc but the story is just boring for me.

---------- Post added 2013-04-04 at 03:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    That term REALLY annoys me. At the end of the day... WoW is an EQ clone.
    Yes it is but wow now compared to 2004 is a lot different. Being a clone is fine as long as you can evolve from your foundation. Like some of the clones in Star Wars. Some of them defected, went there own path and that is what wow has done and continues to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    R
    - PvP sucks. PvP in WoW sucks also, yes
    - Big empty world with almost no reason to do world events, which are designed in a way they are almost impossible to complete solo.
    And This, so annoying to find groups in this game

Forget about a new game it feels even strange to play on a other server in wow itself, if you have all your guildies and friends on one server
    Last edited by mmoca62d2010f3; 2013-04-04 at 03:04 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritisch View Post
    And This, so annoying to find groups in this game
    Public groups are formed in the click of a button. That's one complaint that is completely invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kritisch View Post
    Forget about a new game it feels even strange to play on a other server in wow itself, if you have all your guildies and friends on one server
    I've found over the years, before RealID existed especially, that playing on another server was liberating. It let me actually relax and level characters instead of talk to a bunch of people or get asked to go tank something. It was certainly not weird, it was blissful.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    It's an absolute.

I programmed this game such that pressing the A button causes a character to jump. I have designed the game such that jumping atop turtle heads yields a shiny coin.

That is gameplay. It is locked. It is definite. It is a hard fact of design.

My game couldn't function otherwise as I outlined.

Do you like jumping? Y/N? That is opinion.
    So people can't decide if they like the way a game plays?

Rift isn't bad, I tried it a couple time and liked it, but at the end of the day, to me, it wasn't different enough from WoW, and to move from WoW would mean having to give up a lot of character progression, and social interactions with people I've been playing with for years, for what?

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a very "standard" MMO which is very close to the World of Warcraft style of MMOs. While Rift does it's thing well; Rift also released in an era of MMOs where the market is moving toward f/b2p business models, the greatest market fragmentation the genre has ever seen and more novel forms of gameplay away from the 2nd era style.

You can play WoW in WoW. To put it bluntly.

People pretty okay with WoW will just play WOW as it is the biggest & most accomplished MMO of this or any generation previous. An MMO players are invested in both time and critical mass.
    There you go, that pretty much explains why.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    So people can't decide if they like the way a game plays?
    It's not too complex. How you "feel" about gameplay is opinion.

Gameplay itself is not opinion. It is an objective truth- this is how the game functions is an absolute. They are rules as written and followed exactly by design.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klutzington View Post
    t for raiders I am not sure why the transition isn't made onto RIFT. Content patches are much more plentiful in RIFT as well.
    If you raid in WoW that means that you like the lore (there's no point raiding for epics, for that matter you do other things rather than wipe your ass and repeat the same thing till that item drops and then you have a chance to win or not).

So there's no reason to go into RIFT as a raider if you already enjoy Warcraft. Right now ,ToT is a really interesting raid, in my opinion it's the most interesting since Firelands or even ICC.

Anyways, many people play World of Warcraft because of Warcraft, and no other game for shiny that looks or fun that seems can get you out of WoW if you still enjoy it. Nearly a decade also says a lot... to be honest I'd rather just stop playing at all than leave all I've done in WoW to start all over again from 0. For me, sadly, those times are over.

why dont more people eat spinach?

It's not too complex. How you "feel" about gameplay is opinion.

Gameplay itself is not opinion. It is an objective truth- this is how the game functions is an absolute. They are rules as written and followed exactly by design.
    Sounds pretty much like hairsplitting without real puprose.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I'm sure for plenty of reasons. Some may not have the money. Some may not like the artwork or art style.

As for me, I have played it. It was wonderful. However, My home is on Azeroth, and I have plenty of time dedicated to my main.
    Same here. I played it. It was a good game. I very much enjoyed it... Then I ended up back home at Azeroth... It just happens. I've been on Guild Wars 2, Star Trek Online, the lot. I always end up back at Azeroth.
    Geeza aka Parilla

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    Show me the fool who's going to play on two empty servers for $13/month? That's a higher price than WAR or WoW, closing to USA one, so it was a failed project for a start.
    oh yeah man RIFT is totes dead gonna be F2P in like a month it has like 300 players. you know what im saying brah? yeh totes dead.
    Morons in my RIFT sub forum why the fuck hasent a mod closed this yet? it's full of closed minded fanboys being dicks to our community, shut them down.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    oh yeah man RIFT is totes dead gonna be F2P in like a month it has like 300 players. you know what im saying brah? yeh totes dead.
    Morons in my RIFT sub forum why the fuck hasent a mod closed this yet? it's full of closed minded fanboys being dicks to our community, shut them down.
    Might want to learn to read. I'm pretty sure he was talking about Russian servers not rift in total......

You were saying something about being a dick?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    Being fed up of dicks makes me turn into a massive errect dick, ok? and if he speaks english, which he obviously does. he has the option to join EU and even NA shards, at the click of a button in the launcher.

The only thing you are doing is becoming the thing you claim to hate. If that is what you want to be that is your choice.

Deleted
    I think RIFT had an interesting class design.

But that was about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    The only thing you are doing is becoming the thing you claim to hate. If that is what you want to be that is your choice.
    Oh fuck off you shit stiring twat, we get it ok! you don't like me and you don't like rift. great, just go away and enjoy the game your playing now, whatever it is.
    MOD: close the god damned thread already -_-
    turned in to game vs game pages ago....
    Last edited by mmoc135db6b2b5; 2013-04-04 at 05:24 PM.

And closing this now that I'm awake again. Things have gotten a bit out of hand.