Page 1 of 17
... LastLast
    Deleted

Will there ever be a MMORPG that defeats WoW?

Hello, As title says, Will there ever be a MMORPG that defeats WoW? and if so, what company will make it?

Let the battle BEGIN!

Deleted
    There is no battle.

No, the only thing that can kill or defeat WoW is that blizzard decides to end it.
    People have played it to long and are to attached to their characters, guilds and friends for it to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is the McDonalds of MMORPGs.

The Top 40 channel on the radio...

Not sure if I want another one...

Deleted
    well that sucks, but if they continue like they do now, they will kill it in a year or so..

But there is peeps like me that wants a MMORPG thats Balanced and still fun on many ways, GW2 had the chance, but they failed..

10+ Year Old Account
    There is really nothing to add to this thread that is productive
    in the end not for the meantime, but there is some upcoming games that I would rather play
    The elder scrolls online, Cyberpunk 2077 and the white wolf vampires one
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tipzett View Post
    well that sucks, but if they continue like they do now, they will kill it in a year or so..
    And why is that?
    People have said this the last 3 years and the game is still doing great.
    im willing to bet almost anything that WoW will still be around in 5 years and will still have lots of players.

Just ask yourself this:
    You have a company and your main thing is to sell hamburgers. You have this burger called Woopper of Whallop that sells for millions each month, its by far the most selling burger in your menue and also by far the most selling burger in the world. Would you stop selling it?

Well, if you say yes to that you are terrible and making money

Inb4 "Titan will beat it"

Jokes aside, MMO genre was defined by WoW, nothing can beat it unless Blizzard themselves decide it will be taken down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipzett View Post

But there is peeps like me that wants a MMORPG thats Balanced and still fun on many ways, GW2 had the chance, but they failed..
    Why does every MMORPG that comes out have to beat WoW? Also GW2 did not fail, because it did not try to "kill" WoW in the first place.

I doubt it. Most people who play wow have zero expectations from Blizzard. When they did not release any content for a whole year they only lost 25% of the player base. Since the people who remain are happy with nothing they will never be tempted to leave for another game. When you are not only happy with nothing but actually defend the company who gives you nothing you ain't ever going to leave them. With such a large chunk of the mmo market stuck in that mind set i cant see another mmo 'defeating' wow in the numerical sense.

Happily several games already defeat wow in fun. We have enough mmos now that you don't have to beat anyone. Play what you enjoy and let the other guy play what he does.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnace View Post
    Why does every MMORPG that comes out have to beat WoW? Also GW2 did not fail, because it did not try to "kill" WoW in the first place.
    Well, they don't. But the idea IS to make a game that's appealing enough to players of mmos. And since a very significant number of those players play world of warcraft, it is fairly ideal to make your game exceed wow at what it does best.

I for one think the market for gaming is always growing and welcome new competition in finding more "fun" things to do. But mmo's aren't for everyone and I don't even think they will be the big thing in the gaming industry down the road.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, in the future there will be another MMO that bypasses WoW, but there is no battle as to who or what it will be. In the current state of things, the only way for WoW to die would be if Blizzard decided to shut it down. With more than 9 million active accounts, it is very unlikely that it would die within the next year as you state it will OP. If they have 500,000 active players, it is still a success, and with as much money and fun as this game has made and makes, it can still go on for quite a few years to come.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Deleted
    Yes there will be. It just needs to be next gen. Truly next gen, not just a WoW clone with better graphics and a few gimmicky extras.

WoW is not the McDonalds in the gaming world. People always need to eat.. food doesn't evolve:P I think the tastiest foods 1000 years ago were as good or even better as they are today. Technology on the other hand evolves. WoW is already showing age, it's just that nothing truly revolutionary or new has come out to provide competition. It's just more of the same in a new package so far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    MMO genre was defined by WoW, nothing can beat it unless Blizzard themselves decide it will be taken down.
    Far from it, WoW took a lot of inspiration from other games, and was hardly the first MMO either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    There is really nothing to add to this thread that is productive
    in the end not for the meantime, but there is some upcoming games that I would rather play
    The elder scrolls online, Cyberpunk 2077 and the white wolf vampires one
    cyberpunk 2077 won't be an MMO

I hope

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnace View Post
    People are dumb enough to think that A will have to beat B always because they share the same genre, even if the game itself has a different approach to the genre and to the business mentality

If MMO's were failing we wouldn't see this high ammount of new games in the industry.

I'm praying they launch another big and consistent MMO because wow just plain sucks now.

Deleted
    WoW is more than a game. It covers generation(s?) with its culture. I won't easily forget the fun times I had with the community and alike.

Deleted
    I'm sure there will be, Just not soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    Well, they don't. But the idea IS to make a game that's appealing enough to players of mmos. And since a very significant number of those players play world of warcraft, it is fairly ideal to make your game exceed wow at what it does best.

I for one think the market for gaming is always growing and welcome new competition in finding more "fun" things to do. But mmo's aren't for everyone and I don't even think they will be the big thing in the gaming industry down the road.
    I hate this type of thinking. I really do. I know it's pretty standard internet-forum-hyperbole, but it halts any type of honest dialogue. Obviously every MMO's goal is to be #1. That goes without saying. Its' also pretty obvious that if they become #1 they would be bigger then WoW, by definition. Now that we have the part we all agree on out of the way. Not being the best in the world doesn't make you a failure.

What are you the best in the world at? Regardless of the fact that you aren't the best in the world at anything, and the fact that I don't even know you, I'm still willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are not a failure.

Winning a silver medal at the Olympics is OK. I'm still trying to think of a word that would describe the type of person who would walk up to a Silver Medal winner and tell them that they are a failure. None of the words in my head seem to be strong enough.

In closing:
    Not being the best in the world =/= Failure.

Nothing lasts forever...no matter how fun. It's like when you are a kid you tell yourself, "I'm gonna be a kid forever!" but sadly you still grow up and turn into an adult and tell yourself, "I'm gonna act young forever!" but then real life kicks in and makes you feel old all of a sudden...regardless if you want to move on or not isn't what the issue is...sometimes it's just time to move on. Whenever that will be, no one can say. But like I said, nothing lasts forever and a time will come when people, including blizzard, have to move on.