Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

LFR drop rates too low?

Is it just me or is the drop rate in LFR ToT a bit too low?

I have 2 lvl 90 characters and between them I've killed 33 bosses. I have looted one item. (I don't use my bonus rolls because I prefer to use them in Normal difficulty).

Am I just really unlucky or is this normal? If this is normal, do others think that the drop rate could be tweaked a smidge? It's a lot of time to put into the game to get nothing but aggro from the "community" that tends to hang out in there and very few gear upgrades.

Obviously I'm not asking it to be changed to 50% but something nearer 10-15% might be more realistic?

Deleted
    33 bosses and one item does sound a little bit out of the norm, I'm guessing you might just be really unlucky. In my first lfr raid I got 3 items on my warlock.

You're just unlucky. It happens. I wouldn't worry too much about it - in the end, LFR gear is pretty trivial.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

10+ Year Old Account
    The drop rate is fine, you are just having bad luck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongl View Post
    Is it just me or is the drop rate in LFR ToT a bit too low?

I have 2 lvl 90 characters and between them I've killed 33 bosses. I have looted one item. (I don't use my bonus rolls because I prefer to use them in Normal difficulty).

Am I just really unlucky or is this normal? If this is normal, do others think that the drop rate could be tweaked a smidge? It's a lot of time to put into the game to get nothing but aggro from the "community" that tends to hang out in there and very few gear upgrades.

Obviously I'm not asking it to be changed to 50% but something nearer 10-15% might be more realistic?
    Obviously a small sample can provide little inference about the true chance of getting an item. But in all honesty I have exactly the same scenario with the same amount of drops. I reckon cause of the weaker stats ( significantly weaker, heroic is 535 normal is 522 and lfr is 502), the dropchance could be increased. I thought the old system with a few tweaks was better, if you could get a group of people to need stuff for you you could gear your char, nothing unfair about that since it only increases your chance.

The current lfr system is extremely intransparent and I think blizz likes it this way, but the gear dropchance does seem really low.

Deleted
    I think there is an topic about that from blizz, they saying the LFR isnt a way to gear up , just to be a part of the end content. So trying to get gear fast in LFR , isnt the best way. I was doing the boss Shek zeer for the mace, first the 20th time i got the mace, and was using 20 coins for the bonus. Some ppl have more luck then others. SO try to find the topic from blizz , you will find the answers =) Good Luck

Supposed drop rate is 15% per boss to give you an item.

As currently, you don't have a better chance the more you miss out, after killing 1000s+ you will AVERAGE out to 15% droprate, but just having a small sample size does not mean "it's low/broken" Just means that currently you're not having any luck on rng.

I have gotten 16 items so far on my mage, don't need any of them as i am in heroics. But my pally has seen 0, same amount of kills done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is planning on fixing this by giving you a steady increase in chance to drop after not getting anything for awhile. The problem, I think, is that while their drop rates aren't necessarily too low, as if you take everyone that's running LFR and divide it against the amount of gear that drops, you'd get the right drop %; however, when your sample size is potentially in the millions, and the rate is only, say 30% chance per boss to get an item, it'll appear to be much lower per person.
    say you have 5 million people running LFR every week, and each boss will drop gear 30% of the time. Each boss, you'd have to hope you'd be part of the 1.5mil people getting loot. My math could be (and probably is) wrong, but you get the gist of what I'm saying, I hope.

It's kind of part of our brains, as most humans don't truly have the capacity to consider such large numbers and chances, and just see their piece of the pie. Nothing really at fault with thinking that way, it's simply how we are wired.

Deleted
    OK cool. Thanks for responses. I'll keep plodding on and hope my luck will change

Somewhere along the line I heard 15% as the drop rate/coin use chance, and it fits pretty snugly with my experiences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

I thought the unlucky streak prevention system is already in place. But then there is still question how does it work. Does it separate LFR from bonus loot in normal/world bosses drops or does it keep them together.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post
    The supposed drop rate is 16%, just to be clear.

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vouksh89 View Post
    say you have 5 million people running LFR every week, and each boss will drop gear 30% of the time.
    32% chance off the 16 old LFR bosses, 16% off the new ToT LFR bosses.

You're part of the (5000000)*((1-0.16)^32)*(0.16) people who got 1 piece of loot in their first 33 ToT LFR bosses, assuming 5m people run it.

That's 3020 people. Gratz!
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by flingan View Post
    I think there is an topic about that from blizz, they saying the LFR isnt a way to gear up , just to be a part of the end content. So trying to get gear fast in LFR , isnt the best way. I was doing the boss Shek zeer for the mace, first the 20th time i got the mace, and was using 20 coins for the bonus. Some ppl have more luck then others. SO try to find the topic from blizz , you will find the answers =) Good Luck
    I think you'll find that's a well and truly outdated quote. They have on numerous occasions accepted that raid finder is a means for gear progression for non-raiders. This is why they're putting in systems to allow for poor RNG.

Quote Originally Posted by alucardtnuoc View Post

As currently, you don't have a better chance the more you miss out, after killing 1000s+ you will AVERAGE out to 15% droprate, but just having a small sample size does not mean "it's low/broken" Just means that currently you're not having any luck on rng.
    The problem with that is it simply isn't true. A 15% drop rate should even out with whole groups on average. In reality, with a 15% drop rate, every time you roll you're more likely to walk away with nothing than get anything. So there's every possibility of walking away with nothing time and again. And, just as bad, ending up with things you don't need on a toon that can't DE. Making the system like that was a terrible idea to begin with, as people were declaring from the start. Now it's left some upset for months with their character progression ground to a halt because of a poor system, they're making a belated attempt to fix it. In all honesty, they should probably just be jacking up the drop rate by 100-200% of what it is currently until the new system comes in. Something that would not need to wait for a new patch, whether they'd try to have players believe otherwise or not.

Deleted
    34 bosses and 2 items. It seems that all you need to do is QQ on a forum and your next boss gives guaranteed drop :P
    Last edited by mmocce615fe033; 2013-04-07 at 01:23 PM.

One thing I feel should be in place is the fact tot lfr is 502 ilvl gear...the same as t14 crap it should use elder coins not mogu runes.. Mogu runes should be for 522+ ilvl gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    The supposed drop rate is 16%, just to be clear.
    Is that based on "it was 4 items for 25 people in dragon soul", or actual statistics?

---------- Post added 2013-04-07 at 02:36 PM ----------

34 bosses and 2 items. It seems that all you need to do is QQ on a forum and your next boss gives guaranteed drop :P
    If you don't mind me saying, it's nice to have someone who talks about their bad luck in drops without sounding like a whiny bitch. I wish all bad luck complainers could be as mature and reasonable as you are.

Deleted
    time to complain then, never know i might actually get something next reset. 25 bosses (plus a coin roll here and there) and i only got the tier gloves last week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Is that based on "it was 4 items for 25 people in dragon soul", or actual statistics?
    It was 4/25 for DS and it hasn't changed.
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Quote Originally Posted by impfernal View Post
    Obviously a small sample can provide little inference about the true chance of getting an item. But in all honesty I have exactly the same scenario with the same amount of drops. I reckon cause of the weaker stats ( significantly weaker, heroic is 535 normal is 522 and lfr is 502), the dropchance could be increased. I thought the old system with a few tweaks was better, if you could get a group of people to need stuff for you you could gear your char, nothing unfair about that since it only increases your chance.

The current lfr system is extremely intransparent and I think blizz likes it this way, but the gear dropchance does seem really low.
    The drop chance isn't balanced based on item level compared to normal or heroic raiding, and shouldn't be. LFR is primarily for customers who don't do real raiding (for whatever reason) and the drop chances are designed to give them a compelling reason to keep doing LFR until the next tier is released. Blizz don't want LFR players to have BiS LFR gear until the very end of a tier (or at all) because they need to keep the numbers up to make it a better experience for everyone.

Furthermore, the drop chance isn't low. It seems low because the tiny minority who experience bad luck are the most vocal critics. The vast silent majority are getting items as intended and don't make topics about the loot system.

The two real problems are:

1. Extended bad streaks for a tiny minority of players who are (understandably) unhappy. This is being addressed in 5.3.

2. Duplicates. These really suck in a system with a relatively low drop chance, and IMO contradict the dev's intent that winning an item should always feel good. Winning an item you already have feels bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about it - in the end, LFR gear is pretty trivial.
    It's not trivial for everyone.