Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    I couldn't help myself. You have my condolences.
    Slow your roll, I was only poking the bear, so to speak. Could've been more clear I suppose, sarcasm doesn't translate too well through the tubes.
    I Apologize, But far too often I have seen well meaning threads trying to discuss the differences between consoles and pc's turn into a derp derp thread, it would be good to actually have one where the differences can be discussed and it not turn into another one of those threads

15+ Year Old Account
    I am A-OK with my Playstation being my Game-BluRay-Netflix box. If they want to make it more than that, that's fine by me too, as long as it's not forced on me and the other purposes don't suffer (especially the obvious one: games!)

I agree with you to some extent, yes. I'd very much like for *gaming* consoles to be about *games*, but that just doesn't appear to be what they're going towards. It's important to remember that Sony/Microsoft are companies looking to make as much profit as possible, and it's fairly clear they think that adding other gimmicks to their system will help them do that.

It's hard to blame them too, if you want to play console games you're going to buy a console, regardless of what else it does, that doesn't matter at all. It makes no difference if it has Hulu, Netflix, Twitch, Omegle, Chatroullete, none of that matters if you want to play console games because you're going to buy the console anyway. Those extra gimmicky type things might help sell the console to people who aren't as interested in games, maybe they like games and are considering buying it, but then when they find out it doubles as a blu-ray player, or streaming service, or personal blowjob dispenser, or whatever they decide to buy it. They aren't buying it specifically for any of those things, but everything together makes it worthwhile to those people.

From a business standpoint, it actually makes far more sense to worry less about games and more about other things. Games have been fine since the PS2, it makes more sense to focus on other things now, even though real gamers couldn't care less about all the extra features.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    I Apologize, But far too often I have seen well meaning threads trying to discuss the differences between consoles and pc's turn into a derp derp thread, it would be good to actually have one where the differences can be discussed and it not turn into another one of those threads
    No, no I get it. It's all good. I do have to say though, consoles taking on PC qualities as they are (at least the social media ones) may seek to alleviate the tensions between the groups, even if a little.

I still don't exactly see the harm in the paradigm shift, at least so long as it stays out of video games. Trophies/Achievements are one thing, but when you start getting social media requests and blips while playing a game, that would be where it becomes obnoxious for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    It's hard to blame them too, if you want to play console games you're going to buy a console, regardless of what else it does, that doesn't matter at all. It makes no difference if it has Hulu, Netflix, Twitch, Omegle, Chatroullete, none of that matters if you want to play console games because you're going to buy the console anyway. Those extra gimmicky type things might help sell the console to people who aren't as interested in games, maybe they like games and are considering buying it, but then when they find out it doubles as a blu-ray player, or streaming service, or personal blowjob dispenser, or whatever they decide to buy it. They aren't buying it specifically for any of those things, but everything together makes it worthwhile to those people.
    And this is where a dual hardware release would come into play.
    For those that are interested in the social-media side of things, having streaming movies, or all of the other gimicks that are not directly related to gaming then they could buy the "Fully Bloated" version of the console, where as those people who want it just for gaming could buy a version without any of the extras at a reduced price.

Now if they wanted to at a later stage, they could easily (being connected to the internet) upgrade for a fee to the fully bloated version of the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    And this is where a dual hardware release would come into play.
    For those that are interested in the social-media side of things, having streaming movies, or all of the other gimicks that are not directly related to gaming then they could buy the "Fully Bloated" version of the console, where as those people who want it just for gaming could buy a version without any of the extras at a reduced price.

Now if they wanted to at a later stage, they could easily (being connected to the internet) upgrade for a fee to the fully bloated version of the console.
    I don't see what this fixes from the OP.

The OP stated that he finds it annoying that game companies focus on all the extra stuff and advertise about it in all their announcements and stuff.

Nothing about that mentions price or paying extra for these features.

Even if your "lite" version of a console existed, and I'm not convinced the extras actually cost enough to warrant it, it doesn't change the focus that the industry has on these social extras.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's more of a competitive push to make it more like a pc. Everyone knows that microsoft is trying everything but the kitchen sink to prevent consoles from merging with pc. Walled garden vs open free service not a good combination.

They see PC doing all these things so they want their consoles to compete on the same things. So they put all that crap into their console. Yes I said crap. No one cares about your tweets or your status updates, they're basiclly just ways of stalking your 'favorite stars'. Heck I argue that multiplayer in games has gone to piss because of online multiplayer. At least on a console. People have fond memories of Goldeneye on the 64 but I guarentee those memories couldn't be replicated in an online only setting. Why? You lose all connection. At least in split screen co-op or multiplayer things you know the person you are playing with/against. I dunno... video games are becoming the play things of the jocks/cool kids of my day.

Fun parallel thought on this subject: why do people think anyone cares to know about every little thing they do/think? Does it really enrich your life or the life of your 'followers'?

Deleted
    I was actually planning on buying PS4(I only ever owned snes, ps1 and 2) because they said it's cheap. But the "share" or whatever it is button kinda worries me. I don't want, while trying to intensely play a game, accidentally press it and then it goes all fucking retarded like that xbox360 controller's "home" button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciferiuz View Post
    I don't see what this fixes from the OP.

The OP stated that he finds it annoying that game companies focus on all the extra stuff and advertise about it in all their announcements and stuff.

Nothing about that mentions price or paying extra for these features.

Even if your "lite" version of a console existed, and I'm not convinced the extras actually cost enough to warrant it, it doesn't change the focus that the industry has on these social extras.
    It's not the hardware of the console that sells it, really. It's the games that are released for it. Besides, PS4 has pretty sick specs considering PS2 and 3 had worse hardware than the PCs when they were released. Also, it's more along the lines of PCs so the console ports will be much better, unlike the shitty ones we had over these past 6-7 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    Fun parallel thought on this subject: why do people think anyone cares to know about every little thing they do/think? Does it really enrich your life or the life of your 'followers'?
    Because other people do care. If nobody cared, they wouldn't be posting on a social site.
    Last edited by mmoce67615a32e; 2013-04-08 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -nevan View Post
    It's not the hardware of the console that sells it, really. It's the games that are released for it. Besides, PS4 has pretty sick specs considering PS2 and 3 had worse hardware than the PCs when they were released. Also, it's more along the lines of PCs so the console ports will be much better, unlike the shitty ones we had over these past 6-7 years.
    I dont see how this has anything to do with what I said.

Deleted
    I dont see how this has anything to do with what I said.
    The OP said that the companies are starting to focus on social things more than hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by link4117 View Post
    I bought it to play games and I wish they'd spend more effort on making an absolutely monster gaming machine than a social media center.

The OP said that the companies are starting to focus on social things more than hardware.
    So reply to him then? All you did was tell me things I already knew while quoting a reply to someone else about something completely different :S

Deleted
    So reply to him then? All you did was tell me things I already knew while quoting a reply to someone else about something completely different :S
    But it seemed like you were agreeing on that with the OP, so I had thought I just might as well reply to you.

But it seemed like you were agreeing on that with the OP, so I had thought I just might as well reply to you.
    Oh, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't agreeing necessarily, I was just pointing out to someone else that while the idea of a version of a console without social utilities built-in for a lower price was entertaining - it didn't necessarily fix any of the issues outlined by the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A Challenger! View Post
    Are you trying to tell me the PC is not the device of choice for the true master race?
    Maybe not, but it does raise the point that consoles are almost trying to be PC's when the start to try to do more than play video games. Not trying to turn this into a PC vs console fest, just saying that consoles are for games and PCs are for, well, everything. Granted a console needs a niche, a reason to exist and compete against PCs and other consoles but do they really need to be filled with other stuff that has little/nothing to do with gaming?
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Oh, sorry for the confusion. I wasn't agreeing necessarily, I was just pointing out to someone else that while the idea of a version of a console without social utilities built-in for a lower price was entertaining - it didn't necessarily fix any of the issues outlined by the OP.
    No problem. Yeah, I agree with you on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Maybe not, but it does raise the point that consoles are almost trying to be PC's when the start to try to do more than play video games. Not trying to turn this into a PC vs console fest, just saying that consoles are for games and PCs are for, well, everything. Granted a console needs a niche, a reason to exist and compete against PCs and other consoles but do they really need to be filled with other stuff that has little/nothing to do with gaming?
    It seems that console games have been so bad recently, that Sony and Microsoft can't even depend on exclusives anymore. Except Metal Gear Solid, of course.

As long as consoles offer games which you can't get on PC, by offering the other things which have "little/nothing to do with gaming" they ensure players who DO want to share things like achievements, screenshots, voice chat etc. can do it.

Further, a lot of people have a console hooked up to their TV while their computer might not be. So by offering things like netflix and dvd/blu-ray they appeal to those people as well.

Basically, just because you CAN use your computer for everything - doesn't mean people do or necessarily want to.

At what point do you not buy one of these game consoles and buy a pc? why try to create something that is all ready on the market?

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as consoles offer games which you can't get on PC, by offering the other things which have "little/nothing to do with gaming" they ensure players who DO want to share things like achievements, screenshots, voice chat etc. can do it.

Further, a lot of people have a console hooked up to their TV while their computer might not be. So by offering things like netflix and dvd/blu-ray they appeal to those people as well.

Basically, just because you CAN use your computer for everything - doesn't mean people do or necessarily want to.
    Alright, that makes sense. Just to be clear my post was more of a question and not an attack of any sort.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    At what point do you not buy one of these game consoles and buy a pc? why try to create something that is all ready on the market?
    In my experience, you own both. I don't know why so many people seem to think you can only own one kind of console or game in one kind of way.

Personally I own PS3, 360, Wii, DS and PC. I'll probably upgrade to Wii U and 3DS once there is anything worth playing on them.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 01:51 PM ----------

Alright, that makes sense. Just to be clear my post was more of a question and not an attack of any sort.
    Yeah sorry if I came off kind of defensive; these threads have a tendency to devolve into pc vs. console so I try to nip it in the bud.