Page 1 of 3
LastLast

My view on the MMO market

So recently I have been taking a very very, VERY, long and hard look at the MMO market and Ive noticed a trend that i think makes now the absolute best time to go around trying other MMORPGs. Out of almost all the major MMORPG games currently (or almost) on the market, a good 75%+ of them are now F2P with the option to subscribe or B2P while only a few are still P2P. These MMORPGs include (but are not limited too)-

Lord of the Rings Online- Free to Play with Subscription option
    Dungeons & Dragons Online- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Age of Conan- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Star Wars: The Old Republic- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Tera- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Guild Wars 2- Buy to Play
    The Secret World- Buy to Play
    EverQuest 2- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Neverwinter Online- Free to Play
    Allods Online- Free to Play
    World of Warcraft- Pay to Play
    Defiance- Buy to Play
    Warhammer Online- Pay to Play
    Rift- Pay to Play
    AION- Free to Play with Subscription Option

I would add Wildstar, Elder Scrolls Online, and A Realm Reborn, but at this moment I do not know what their payment models will be so currently leaving them out.

I personally feel like this is possibly the best moment for a potentialy bored MMO gamer to go out and try some brand new titles that they may not have tried yet (or in the last few years. Remember, MMOs are like great wines, they only get better with age). But what has been making me sad is that i STILL hear how "F2P is where MMOs go to die" or "F2P = P2W, garbage" or better yet "F2P games have no end game, you get what you pay for."

Idk about everybody else, but as a gamer who has literally played almost every single one of those MMORPGs that I have listed, those comments make me a little angry. I mean, where did these sayings come from??

The first is one of the "old truths" about F2P MMORPGs, as in about 6-7 years ago it was true. Now F2P MMORPGs arejust as lively as say WoW or Rift. Lets take a look at...Age of Conan. Next to FFXIV 1.0, AoC was one of the worst MMO launches in recent memory. Huge bug problem, major content gaps that needed grinding, broken mechanics..it was bad. However, 5 years after launch, AoC has launched 1 expansion (Rise of the God-Slayer), revamped F2P, hit the 3 million account mark, and has launched many huge content patches, the most recent being Secrets of Dragonspine. Idk about everybody else, but I think AoC is a fully fleged AAA MMORPG.

Same story with Lord of the Rings Online. They are just about to be adding another content/class revamp patch. I believe this update (update 10) will bring 3 new dungeons and 1 raid? I believe that makes it a major patch in MMO terms.

Another saying, "F2P = P2W" is only half true. While there are plenty of P2W titles out there, none of the titles I have mentioned above are P2W. Allods Online, which has been called the best true F2P game on the market, is NOT P2W. You cannot buy the best gear for real cash, it has to be earned...through raiding (which Allods Online just dropped 4.0).

Now I know this may seem like a P2P vs F2P thread but, its really not. I enjoy both P2P and F2P, AND B2P. They all have their strengths and weaknessess. I am one who doesn't believe that only 1 MMORPG runs the market (WoW). I believe that all major MMORPGs help push it forward, weither that make MMO of the Year or not.

The MMO market has hit a unique point where we have an overlap of Similarity and Difference. Let me explain-

What i mean by Similarity is that you could take a player from say...AION and throehim into DDO and after about 30 or so minutes, he'll have gotten a hang on the basics. All major MMORPGs have some point of similarity in their design which allows for easy transition from game to game. Now I didn't say "WoW clones", because thats only the surface. Heres where the Difference part comes in. By allowing other-wise "WoW clone" MMORPGs to age, they are starting to finally step out of the pack as their own game. Take Rift, or LOTRO, or Allods Online, get to max level and see if you can STILL call these games "WoW clones". They are different worlds, with completely different mechanics. All major titles are finding ways to shine, and this is why i view the market as perfect for the gamer atm. There are tons of MMORPGs out there, all different just under the skin.
    Last edited by Cts53; 2013-04-08 at 06:56 AM.
    Facts don't care about feelings

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhhh, just a thing, I don't remember any announcement (may have missed it, don't know), on ESO being P2P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Defiance- Buy to play
    Stationed at McGuire, AFB.
    PC Specs: i5-3570K, GTX 690, Gigabyte UD5H, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Corsair AX750, H100i, Phantom 630 case, Asus VH236H

ESO hasn't announced their payment model yet

F2P as a financial model is successful. however, WoW players will find it a culture shock; i know i did when i tried Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons. if you go in inexperienced like me and more or less expected a "free" WoW clone; the F2P market will knock you for a loop.

think of it this way: WoW is an all you can eat buffet; F2P is a-la-carte. just as in real life, both can be successful; just don't go in mistaking one for the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Uhhh, just a thing, I don't remember any announcement (may have missed it, don't know), on ESO being P2P.
    Yeah lol thought I read it was in the megathread. Chznged it with Defiance and edited that. Thanks for catching that

My website (read my and other's novels here first!) https://www.the-fiction-factory.com/

Deleted
    I agree with you at the most part. The MMO problem today is that WoW is to big. Most players of WoW that I know dont enjoy most of their playtime in WoW. They feel it to many chores, but most of them stays because so many others stays.

Another example is SWTOR, even if their F2P model is a joke, the game has grown to something really good. If the game would been released today instead, it would have been much more successful. BUT... SWTOR is burnt, and many people would never try it again (You can fool me once....) after a horrible launch with so many bugs, ghosttown servers (no transfer in a very long time) and so unpolished.

A game you missed in you list that is really worth mention is Planetside 2, F2P (with a subscriper option for faster xp). One of the best F2P games out there (IMHO).

Also.. I liked AoC, but I am really sceptic to a 3 million mark. Most likely like most asian MMOs and only counting accounts (active, trials, inactive, dead and all beta accounts). Never ever that AOC have had 3 million active accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by JackHeart View Post
    I agree with you at the most part. The MMO problem today is that WoW is to big. Most players of WoW that I know dont enjoy most of their playtime in WoW. They feel it to many chores, but most of them stays because so many others stays.
    I think people often wonder why people still stay in WoW even though they don't enjoy their play time. It has a lot to do with "attachment". People are attached to their characters, achievements, guilds, friends, locations in WoW, etc.

That is a big factor why WoW is still able to hold onto a sizeable player base. People ain't often are willing to give another game a chance before returning. Some ain't even willing to give another game a look only cause why bother starting from scratch when you have everything down and steady in WoW. I fall into the latter category. I've not tried or even looked at too many MMOs, besides dabbling a bit in Rift, GW and SWTOR.

However, I am looking forward to TESO and have already decided on calling time on WoW when it does come out.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    I think people often wonder why people still stay in WoW even though they don't enjoy their play time. It has a lot to do with "attachment". People are attached to their characters, achievements, guilds, friends, locations in WoW, etc.
    That is so true.

I left WoW for SWTOR and have not turned back. I only played SWTOR for six months or so before giving up, and after that enjoyed a lot of different games without getting super attached, but still have had a good time. The only thing I look forward for at the moment is Wildstar. TESO doesnt intrest me at all sadly.

Do you still have to buy runes with real money for your gear in Allods online to stand any chance against another player with runes? It has been a long time since I've played it though.
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-04-08 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Do you still have to buy runes with real money for your gear in Allods online to stand any chance against another player with runes? It has been a long time since I've played it though.
    You can grind them last time I checked. It just isn't worth the time to do so.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 01:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cts53 View Post
    Lord of the Rings Online- Free to Play with Subscription option
    Dungeons & Dragons Online- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Age of Conan- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Star Wars: The Old Republic- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Tera- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Guild Wars 2- Buy to Play
    The Secret World- Buy to Play
    EverQuest 2- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    Neverwinter Online- Free to Play
    Allods Online- Free to Play
    World of Warcraft- Pay to Play
    Defiance- Buy to Play
    Warhammer Online- Pay to Play
    Rift- Pay to Play
    AION- Free to Play with Subscription Option
    You forgot star trek online (f2P), Firefall (f2p), vindictus (f2p), Warframe (f2p), star conflict (f2p), path of exile (f2p), and marvel heroes online (f2P).
    Just to name a few.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Secret World also has a lifetime subscription option as well as a monthly subscription option.

Final Fantasy XI is P2P

Quote Originally Posted by rnbwtrout View Post
    F2P as a financial model is successful. however, WoW players will find it a culture shock; i know i did when i tried Star Wars and Dungeons and Dragons. if you go in inexperienced like me and more or less expected a "free" WoW clone; the F2P market will knock you for a loop.

think of it this way: WoW is an all you can eat buffet; F2P is a-la-carte. just as in real life, both can be successful; just don't go in mistaking one for the other.
    It's not just culture shock, for many people there is the very real realization that if you aren't paying a sub every month then you are more likely to buy things in the cash shop (because hey you haven't spent any money on it and that shiny is pretty cool) and can quite often end up spending more money than you would on a sub anyway >< This is can be especially true with f2p and b2p games where they are strong arming people into spending money in their shop all the time. It takes some self discipline basically.

To the larger point.. yes we are in a great spot with MMO's. We have a wider variety of MMO's available than ever before and even some of the "crap" ones are still pretty good and will appeal to people. Honestly as long as corporations and players understand that the measure of success shouldn't be "taking down wow" I think this trend will continue. It's one thing I have noticed over time going to Pax, every year there are more MMO's and it is a wonderful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    You can grind them last time I checked. It just isn't worth the time to do so.

---------- Post added 2013-04-08 at 01:47 PM ----------

You forgot star trek online (f2P), Firefall (f2p), vindictus (f2p), Warframe (f2p), star conflict (f2p), path of exile (f2p), and marvel heroes online (f2P).
    Just to name a few.
    Thanks for those, wasn't trying to name all of them lol, just the ones I have played/want to play. But I'll add those to the list as well later.

Also, thanks to everybody for keeping this civil Do not want a MMO vs MMO thing going on >_> LOL

You all have given me some interesting thoughts, espicially about how WoW players may not be enjoying their game time, but they don't want to leave due to attachment. What i find funny is that...nobody said you had to delete everything and quit cold turkey to go play another MMORPG. Simply say "ok this week I'm gonna try out DDO, seems interesting. Cya guys in a week" or something similar to that.

But, not everybody thinks like me :/ Some people just cant do that. I honestly think that if MORE of the NA/EU player base spread out and played more MMORPGs, the market would be doing MUCH better than it already is.

Remember, MMOs are like great wines, they only get better with age.
    Yeah man, WoW got soooo much better with time, right?.....

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Yeah man, WoW got soooo much better with time, right?.....
    Yeap it's much better no matter you like it or not.

There is no difference F2P game or B2P/P2P if game is bad it'll have according reviews and playerbase.
    Last edited by OmniSkribe; 2013-04-08 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    It's not just culture shock, for many people there is the very real realization that if you aren't paying a sub every month then you are more likely to buy things in the cash shop (because hey you haven't spent any money on it and that shiny is pretty cool) and can quite often end up spending more money than you would on a sub anyway >< This is can be especially true with f2p and b2p games where they are strong arming people into spending money in their shop all the time. It takes some self discipline basically.
    There's more to it than that. When you're not "paying to win", you resent those who do.

What i find funny is that...nobody said you had to delete everything and quit cold turkey to go play another MMORPG. Simply say "ok this week I'm gonna try out DDO, seems interesting. Cya guys in a week" or something similar to that.

But, not everybody thinks like me :/ Some people just cant do that. I honestly think that if MORE of the NA/EU player base spread out and played more MMORPGs, the market would be doing MUCH better than it already is.
    More of us are starting to do just that. I play about 13 different MMOs, bouncing between whatever I feel like.
    WoW has a lot of things in it, but most of the aspects of it are "good" quality. I can find higher quality aspects in other games, but none of those games have all the aspects of wow at "good" quality. So instead of playing one "good" game I play many games, focusing on their "great" aspects. IE: I wouldn't play rift for it's pvp. I wouldn't play Tera for its story. I wouldn't play lotro for it's combat. But I would play lotro for its story, tera for its combat, and rift for its pve. So I do. And my overall MMO experience is better for it.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    There's more to it than that. When you're not "paying to win", you resent those who do.
    Well that gets into good models versus bad models. P2w models are almost universally viewed as bad models. Basically it is great for the people willing to spend tons of money and then you create an environment where people who can't/won't pay that money feel pressured into it and that's what they resent. Really good models where people don't feel that pressure can also lead to people over spending what they intend to because the don't have feelings of resentment and it's fun.

Obviously there are differences and the people who can afford to win in P2W models are happy and have no resentment. Which is why that model hasn't shriveled up and died yet.