Thread: New PC Advice

New PC Advice

Hello,

I bought a new GPU a while back attempting to upgrade the stock one in my dell, but some capacitors on the motherboard seem to be preventing me from seating it properly. Seeing this months computer setups on the front page inspired me to try and fix this dilemma by getting a new mobo and all that while keeping as many stock parts from my old PC as possible. The "puppy" layout this month seemed decent enough for me without breaking the bank.

The new parts I'm thinking of getting are:
    Case - NXT GAMMA Classic
    Power Supply - Corsair CX500
    CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
    Motherboard - ASUS M5A97 R2 AM3+ 970

I wanted to mix that with my Dell's stock hard drive, 4G of RAM, DVD drive, and an XFX Radeon HD 5770 graphics card. Does it seem all right to mix and match my old parts with these without any craziness happening? I haven't really built a PC before, so I'm reluctant to buy anything without knowing it will be compatible.

(I wanted to give links for the parts, but sadly I can't since this account is fairly new. They're all on the front page of MMO Champ if you want some clarification.)

Deleted
    Looks like your post got stuck in the spam filter - sorry about that! All fixed now though.

Deleted
    Change the Corsair for something slightly higher (a 550w 80 PLUS bronze should do fine).

EDIT: possibly also change the CPU/Mobo combination to the Athlon II X4 750k and an FM2 Motherboard for better power-efficiency or change the 965BE for one of the FX range of CPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Change the Corsair for something slightly higher (a 550w 80 PLUS bronze should do fine).

EDIT: possibly also change the CPU/Mobo combination to the Athlon II X4 750k and an FM2 Motherboard for better power-efficiency or change the 965BE for one of the FX range of CPUs.
    After checking around, I could try the AMD FX 4100 with the bigger power supply, of course (it's only $20 more than the 965BE).

Just out of curiosity, how big would the difference in power-efficiency be if I stuck with my original CPU choice?

Swapping motherboards does not fly with OEM Windows as your license is bound to the motherboard and cannot be transferred. This cannot be circumvented by moving the hard drive as all motherboard swaps should be accompanied by a Windows reinstall for stability.

Is the new GPU the 5770? If so, your proposed rig is pretty overkill, even the CX 500.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Swapping motherboards does not fly with OEM Windows as your license is bound to the motherboard and cannot be transferred. This cannot be circumvented by moving the hard drive as all motherboard swaps should be accompanied by a Windows reinstall for stability.

Is the new GPU the 5770? If so, your proposed rig is pretty overkill, even the CX 500.
    I have to get a new OS? That sucks. =\ At least I found out beforehand. Yes, the 5770 is the card I'm trying to work into my build; I bought it for my current PC, but it wouldn't fit, so I wanted to make something compatible with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post

However, of the OEM key is your own, then there should be a telephone activation available. This is what I did when my Win7 key failed to install properly, and again when my Win8 key failed to install. Derfalke may have to get a new key (and probably should as it's only $80 for a Win7 key now, but that may eat into overall budget).