Thread: Podcast Rant

10+ Year Old Account

Podcast Rant

I have been a faithful listener to a multitude of podcasts since almost each of their respective starts. But lately three of my favorites The Instance, Twizzcast, and Bitter and Salty have really turned up the Alliance hate with comments like "the mistake of playing Alliance (Sláinte, Bitter and Salty), "who cares it's Alliance (Twizz, Twizzcast) and the general lack of knowledge of anything Alliance side on The Instance. A playful jab here and there is a good chuckle for everyone (ala Horde for Life), but these other hosts are dismissing a good chunk of their audience. I don't know what the numbers actually are but off the top of my head I can think of only two podcasts (The Mana Cooler and recently Convert to Raid) that acknowledge the Alliance side of the game at all.

I know, I know it's their podcast and they can say what they like and I don't have to download it, but you'd think they'd realize they owe it to their audiences to at least respect one half of the game they say they love. It seems that the game is more friendly than ever for players to enjoy both factions and play the other side as alts, but not in the podcast world. It is almost like some of these podcasters want to take sides like MSNBC and FoxNews do in politics, cover only one side and make the other look bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then listen to other podcasts. It's not like there aren't 12 bazillion of them out there.

All of that aside, The Instance is a class act and a regular Saturday or Sunday morning thing for me.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    Then listen to other podcasts.
    Ugh, why is this always the standard reply? I even predicted what people would say in my original post. The Instance is absolutely a great podcast otherwise. Scott's entire network (Frogpants) is great. I find a new, high production podcast and then nope, there they go down the same road. It's like comedians making Amish jokes, easy targets I guess.

Any of the 12 bazillion you suggest?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Turpster usually knows what's going on with the Alliance. I think his main is a gnome (is the warrior still his main?).

Check out the Wow insider podcast, pretty unbiased.

10+ Year Old Account
    Older players, the ones that are more likely to have a Podcast, tend to play Horde.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Ugh, why is this always the standard reply?
    It's simple. It's really the only sensible answer when you are so moved by something that you have absolutely no control over that you post a rant about it on a public forum. Your choices are to continue to listen or listen to something else. If you continue to listen anyway then whatever it is that's bugging you doesn't rise to the level where it really matters. So the only thing left is to listen to something else.

I like the one from WoW Insider as well: professionally produced (usually), knowledgeable people as a rule and decent informative content. I think it's a little dry compared to The Instance but it does what it sets out to do.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Podcasts from game fans are no different than podcasts by radio talk-show hosts. They are either conservative, Liberal, democrat, republican, or other (some mix of the bunch). Eschaton hit the nail on the head. If you love Obama, you're not tuned in to Rush L., or if you are a Tea Party fan, odds are you aren't listening to Fox. Same type of thing. You need to do some research on Alliance favored or balanced podcasts and not just listen to the evangelists and Rushs of the world. Either you want to hear more about the Alliance, or you just want a "little" more balance in your chosen broadcast. Explore some other shows and see if maybe there is another that peaks your interest.

Alliance Podcasts:
    http://archive.org/details/FiwenTheA...castEpisode1_0
    http://www.rawrcast.com/2010/04/alli...where-are-you/
    http://outofmana.me/2013/01/16/allia...aling-podcast/

Just a few to help point ya in the right direction

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Older players, the ones that are more likely to have a Podcast, tend to play Horde.
    idk I play alliance on Darkspear(US), and turning 30 in a few months.
    When i hop to my horde server(emerald dream) i read to much of things a snot nosed 10 year old little brat would say.
    then again on pernolde alli...i see the same...and on proudmore horde (<3 taint) it's a tossup depending on time of day.

basically what I'm saying is it depends on server, not really what faction you play. some servers just have...an amazing amount of trolls and brats on them, low or high pop....well med pop anyway i don't play on lowpop realms

except for moonguard. i am so...completely amazed and appalled at what i see there that i don't know what to think...
    (i play on a lot of servers randomly, DS is my main server*alliance* and ED is my main horde server, don't have a 90 on ED yet though.)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    Ugh, why is this always the standard reply? I even predicted what people would say in my original post. The Instance is absolutely a great podcast otherwise. Scott's entire network (Frogpants) is great. I find a new, high production podcast and then nope, there they go down the same road. It's like comedians making Amish jokes, easy targets I guess.

Any of the 12 bazillion you suggest?
    The Lore Corner! Its a lore and RP podcast that a couple of the regulars in Gen Disc (as well as myself) started just recently, actually. First episode aired a couple days ago.

We make fun of our only Alliance regular but in truth we're pretty neutral. You might like it.