Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Will a 650w really do the trick? differing sights provide different views.

Below is the build I am considering. Initially I am sure a 650w PS is fine. In the future I may likely add
    a 2nd dvd+rw+dvd, and in the future go SLI with a second GTX 670. If I had those two components will the 650w
    still be enough?

thanks for the feedback

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrzM
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrzM/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PrzM/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($108.10 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($273.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case ($173.37 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.48 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2208 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($84.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $1799.86
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-09 01:02 EDT-0400)

10+ Year Old Account
    A second 670 would be pushing it with 650W. If you're going to spend $1800 on a system, might as well get a bigger PSU that will last. Shouldn't cost much more than $50 to get one around 850W. Consider saving money elsewhere, the SSD looks on the pricey side, for example.

Edit: That mobo and optical drive look expensive as well... You could cut down another $100 right there.
    Last edited by Rec; 2013-04-09 at 05:15 AM.

I'd say yes for anything but SLI/Crossfire but I also wouldn't get anything much bigger unless I was certain I would go with dual GPU's in the near future(next month or so) as it just as likely wouldn't happen anyways. You should be fine adding a second ODD though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    A second 670 would be pushing it with 650W. If you're going to spend $1800 on a system, might as well get a bigger PSU that will last. Shouldn't cost much more than $50 to get one around 850W. Consider saving money elsewhere, the SSD looks on the pricey side, for example.

Edit: That mobo and optical drive look expensive as well... You could cut down another $100 right there.
    Considers dropping to the P8Z77-V and when I compare the features, it I just cant get away with liking the deluxe more for long term
    system (one expected to last 5-8 years). Though of the P8Z77-V pro. a little savings but still like the deluxe more.

As for SSD, I originally though of just the 840 series. Saves about $50ish. But I'm in love with the faster write speeds.
    Not having an SSD now. Maybe 250MB/s write is fast enough. maybe its over kill for closer to 500MB/s. I plan on doing
    video editing and transcoding. and I admit I get impatient "waiting" with things on the computer. So that was my rationalization
    for the pro ssd.

@Dedweight: no way would 2nd SLI GTX 670 come in the next month or so. But since its a long term system. as the software I use
    evolves (hopefully to utilize GPU's even more) 2, 3, 4 years down the road, the second GPU might give me the boost to keep it
    running that 5-8 years.. just as possibly adding more RAM. doubt 16GB ram will seem like much 4-5 years from now.

10+ Year Old Account
    PCpartpicker is down right now... But... There is at least a couple hundred bucks wasted in that system... That money could go to a better PSU

EDIT: Website working again.. checked. Yeah, a GOOD 650 will be fine. Dual 670s wont ever break 520w, even with an OC'd cpu.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-04-09 at 05:32 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    PCpartpicker is down right now... But... There is at least a couple hundred bucks wasted in that system... That money could go to a better PSU
    wasted. Ouch! Probably could have explained the usage and needs. Surely part of the comment was on SSD and mobo. Possibly the case, some say its over priced (though I've not found something with a window that suitable/equally stylish. If I'm spending some money on a computer I dont want it to look drab black that a 2 million other PCs. So I splurged a bit on the cash). I thought about the HX650, about $10 more on pcpartpicker. is it worth the $10? dunno. $25 for a 750W? dunno on that either unless its required for a 2nd GTX 670 down the road. What else is "wasted" in your view?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jetguat View Post
    What else is "wasted" in your view?
    The CPU, the motherboard, the SSD, the ram, the Pro version of windows.

You didn't really explain what the system was for, but if it's just for gaming, then a good 300-400 is indeed wasted. I might be wrong, you might do other things, but it wasn't noted.

EDIT: To be clear, the Dual 670 I feel is silly, but there IS performance gain had at the high end. But all the other stuff, unless noted, literally provides effectively zero benefit, for about $400 more.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-04-09 at 05:38 AM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The thing OP where you're probably going off the mark with shopping is the assumption that it will last 5-8 years, which is dead wrong. Only part I've ever used in my computer that lasted 8 years was floppy drive, everything else got upgraded many times in that time.

If you're interested in high end gaming and want settings at or close to max, around four years is what you can expect to be the interval between complete rebuilds (motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card, drives) until technology has progressed so far everything you have is considered to be old shit. If you buy very expensive stuff (like your list is) you'll only add about one year past the four of usable life. It's still old shit at that point, but in life support.

You can add the BluRay writer to the list of potentially wasted money, especially plans of getting a second drive.

BluRay reader is ok if you will use the computer for watching movies, but chances are you'll never need a writer. I thought I did and bought one just when streaming became really big and have burned 4 discs so far. Biggest waste of money in my PC at the moment. Could've just bought BD reader for half the price for movies.

No, you will not need it for "backing up" movies because pretty much all hardware players are fine with MKV's. You can put hundreds of movies into USB HDD, not just one movie per one disc.

And no, you will not need it for backing up data either. Burning 1TB HDD takes several days of constant disc swapping, using external HDD for backup purposes saves ridiculous amount of time, money and nerves.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-04-09 at 07:55 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Considers dropping to the P8Z77-V and when I compare the features, it I just cant get away with liking the deluxe more for long term
    system (one expected to last 5-8 years).
    5-8 years is a long time to keep the same computer.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Yeah, I'm gonna be honest and say that 5 years is a LOOOONG time in computing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly. Great input thanks.

5 years, heck 4 years is a long time in computing. Understood.
    The primary use of the computer is not gaming. But video editing/rendeering and creation. The Bluray write is to write the output to BD for use in anyones home theater bluray player, so its not for archiving really, but actually used to create BD discs for viewing.

I have a dell laptops that is Pentium I I think. Running XP. Its probably 10+ years old. Battery doesn't work. HD was replaced, and its got as much memory as it can hold. It cannot to do much, but if can surf the net. can be used for email. Can be used to watch movies. Back in the day "real work" could be done on it. Not anymore. The desktop that replaced that laptop is now about in year 6 or 7. Just replaced the PS. Its maxed on memory. Only a 300GB HDD, but only 2/3rd full. It suits my needs, to remotely work from home. And used to be able to handle the video editing I did. Not anymore. Its painfully slow. 15+ hours to correctly rending even 15 minutes of video. But its still got life in it. When I get a new rig, I can wipe the HDD and reinstall XP to be 100% sure its clean and free of unneeded extraa. And that desktop will serve the kids in the house for school (probably not gaming, but for school). So I'll get another bunch of years out of it. For the new rig, I will look for higher class components. I expect it to fill my needs for 4-5 years. Then I presume it will be more and more stressed and I'll look to replace it. No junk it but replace it. That desktop will then move onto a new less demanding role. Thats the rationale behind all this anyway.

My software development, simulaters, network analyzers I use for work, then the video editing/rending I do on the side. That's the primary use. I do want to get back into gaming though, and would like a box that also kicks butt in that field, but the gaming is secondary. I think the system above, while probably more than I need immediately will surely fill my needs for quite some time.

thanks again for all the great feedback. So what I'm hearing is that 650W PS is perfectly fine for the build as is. Perhaps not if I ever ended up going SLI. maybe its not worth the extra $$ now for a better PSU if the SLI wouldnt come around for a few years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your better off getting a new single card in 2-3 years time than getting headache from some of the problems sli/crossfire will bring.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Your better off getting a new single card in 2-3 years time than getting headache from some of the problems sli/crossfire will bring.
    EXCELLENT point. one that simply escaped me. I wouldnt need to worry about it for quite some time, but as I dont like to be wasteful if I dont have to be, is there (generally speaking) much of a market for used GPU cards. Do people feel comfortable buying used cards or only getting news. I did a very quick ebay search on a gigabyte 550ti and saw a few used cards with bids. So maybe yes.

Great idea. I think I'll stick with a small PSU, TX650M is semi-modular but should do the thrick. Maybe even the seasoninc 80PLUS M12II.

10+ Year Old Account
    The primary use of the computer is not gaming. But video editing/rendeering and creation. The Bluray write is to write the output to BD for use in anyones home theater bluray player, so its not for archiving really, but actually used to create BD discs for viewing
    Ooookay. That... makes more sense. I apologize if I came off as scathing, it's just sometimes people are like HURR i7S ARE BETTAR, and it needs to be made adamantly clear that for gaming, sometimes stuff just doesn't help.

However if it's within your budget, and you do a lot of rendering work, then, yeah.

I still feel the motherboard is overkill though, and a $130 board will do the same job just as good. The Pro version of Windows 8 is also an extra $30-40 that provides really no benefit. Also, I understand the 840 Pro is faster than the 840 SSD, however the difference in real world usage is effectively nil. Up to you, though. Personally, I think knocking off 10-20 bucks in 5-6 places is worthwhile, but when you're cashing out upwards of $1500, maybe $100 doesn't mean much. I'll admit it, I'm a cheapass.

The BR drive thing is also up to you. I do not know a single person who has bought a blue ray writer and gone "That was a sound purchase". It's usually "I don't even know if it works, since I've never used it". I guess the question is... Do you -really- have a lot of friends who take your rendering work to play at home on a BR player, that a DVD doesn't cut it?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I guess the question is... Do you -really- have a lot of friends who take your rendering work to play at home on a BR player, that a DVD doesn't cut it?
    Or where you can't just render 1080p mp4 out from the video editor and watch it from USB stick. Practically every single BD player as well as every single FullHD LCD TV made in last two years can play back files from USB stick.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    (probably should look this up myself but) what is the standard write speed on a HDD? I might save a few buck on the SSD. For BD. I create the movies/presenations for people. For now its only been DVDs. but at least for me, when I watch them on a say a 46" LCD tv you can see the where being allowed higher RES would be nicer. Mandatory, I dunno, since I dont have one But since its about $40 to $50 bucks from dvd+rw+combo to BD writer... its not a super huge deal buster. I have a collection of older routers/WAPs and the ones from comcast or ATT aren't that great. leaving me with issues. I could simply go an buy a newer standalone router/wap. But for a similar price the ASUS deluxe offers me that capability as well. That is one rational (in addition to the extra USB3s, which while I dont have yet, surely will be much more common as the months, years pass). I dont need BT from the motherboard, nor dual GigE lan. but dual band wifi would be nice. And thats where the decisoin. Buy a standalone box to do that .. or is asus has decent review on what it provides onboard. its an option. deluxe mobo is about $100 more than the standard. Similar $$ amount for a resonable quality dual band wifi router/wap box. I like ASUS since I like what i read on their technology to utilize both the onboard intel GPU and the GPU on any external card. They specifically call out benefits for video editing/rendoring. So thats a little background on the mobo. maybe if i research router/waps I'll find a good one could be had much cheaper than I think.. and I could just drop to the standard P8Z77-v

before I forget. no worries @chazus. I wouldnt post in this group if I didnt want the feedback. I'm not looking for affirmation but feedback to provide info I didnt consider (like simply upgrading the single GPU down the road instead of SLI to boost performance)

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do you want wifi in a desktop? I mean if its not going to be moved( and with the form factor you chose i doubt it will) why would anyone give 278 dollars for a moherboard when you can get and should always get an ethernet cable for your desktop the quality of the connection will just be much much better, save yourself nearly 200 dollars with just 2 changes, get a cheaper motherboard something like the extreme4 or the normal p8z77 and drop the PSU grab the seasonic m12 620w.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    Why do you want wifi in a desktop? I mean if its not going to be moved( and with the form factor you chose i doubt it will) why would anyone give 278 dollars for a moherboard when you can get and should always get an ethernet cable for your desktop the quality of the connection will just be much much better, save yourself nearly 200 dollars with just 2 changes, get a cheaper motherboard something like the extreme4 or the normal p8z77 and drop the PSU grab the seasonic m12 620w.
    Do you have a single computer in your house? In mine we have about 4, plus a tablet, a netbook, a laptop, and some wifi enabled other devices. All of those require a WAP right. My wap is old, and doesnt serve the whole house. buying a cheap WAP is throwing money away. Of course you would not connect a desktop to the internet via wifi. but if the mobo supported it, you can use the built in WAP (setup on the same channels) and provide expanded wifi coverage within the house since you can spread the WAPs around the house. I could save the $100 bucks from the deluxe mobo and get the regular yes. then I would need drop that $100 onto a new external dual band WAP also. So now I have more cables. more outlets used, more devices sitting out. is a standalone externa WAP any better or worse than the built in one. Answer... it depends. Depend on the quality of the external WAP.

I am likely going with the seasonic m12 620w. I read enough on the extreme4 that the extra cost is worth it for the asus (even the standard p8z77-v version).

10+ Year Old Account
    Ohh its different if you want to use it as an access point, wel if it works well enough as one then i see where you're coming from with that choice.

For that system a *quality* PSU should be plenty.

For comparisons sake my previous build consisted of:

• CPU) Core2Duo E8400 @ 4.3GHZ
    • Mobo) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P 1.0
    • Mem) 8GB OCZ ram @ 1000 5/5/5/15
    • VPU) Radeon 4870x2 @ 775/950 (and later I added a 4870 from a friend for TriFire)
    • PSU) Corsair TX750 (original version)
    • HDs) 3 WD Caviar Blacks
    • Fans) Case was a Antec 1200V1 with 9 case fans + two on my Noctua NH-D14

Now I had a spare BFG 1000EX PSU laying around I had bought for cheap in case I needed it for the TriFire setup but I didn't. Aside from instability while getting my OC tuned to perfection this system was quite fine with a 750w PSU of quality.