Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    In many ways Cata's Fire Mage design was damn near perfect. The only issue was the ignite munching. Why they couldn't just leave it as it was and just fix that one thing is beyond me!

If we cut the level 90 talents, what about the current Fire mage rotation would be inferior to how the spec played in DS?

I would say sort of, the only real benefit we have now is the fact that we are a little less RNG due to heating up and Inferno blast. But look what they have done and taken away because of this. We dont have blast wave, ability to spread our dots to all targets in range (not like it was OP, they let hunters, warlocks and DK do it!) and combustion was actually something that did some damage back then, Rolling all dots into one big dot.

Now as a fire mage we have no range slow capability, combustion is weak, we have just lost our flavour all together. I mean frost played better and arcane is in the toilet. Arrgg I am just frustrated with my mage right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomathan View Post
    Same question:
    Can someone wiser explain this. I dont get it. Why nerfing T2??
    Maybe ppl were using it on PTR in the ilvl scaled places. 2pc t2 scaled up to 522 to test ToT would have been fun

Quote Originally Posted by Grumash View Post
    Maybe ppl were using it on PTR in the ilvl scaled places. 2pc t2 scaled up to 522 to test ToT would have been fun
    It's 8 piece^^

And what comes to 4.3 fire vs 5.0 fire, I liked 5.0 much more(was with 410 gear though and at 85). And then we leveled to 90 and got to use evocation every 45 secs and now 62-62.5 secs, plus the nerfs to CM and combustion(5.1 thingy) are making me dislike fire more and more. Hell if you go challenge mode as fire, it's almost unplayable.

Don't forget:
    The following summoned pets/totems will now chain cast their spells with no delay between casts, allowing them to cast their spells more frequently in the same amount of time.

Death Knight: Gargoyle
    Druid: Force of Nature (Balance, Restoration), Mirror Image (Symbiosis)
    Mage: Mirror Image, Water Elemental
    Shaman: Searing Totem
    Warlock: Doomguard, Terrorguard, Wild Imp
    Sha of *Gay* Pride!

Deleted
    I will never understand why they didn't give Blizzard the Rain of Fire treatment so that it doesn't clash with the bomb tier and FoF. Channeled AoEs were outdated in WotLK, nowadays they're just a relic, like spell pushback.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidd View Post
    combustion is weak.
    Excuse me while I laugh for a minute...

Combustion is an amazing ability. If you think its weak you are doing it wrong.

If we compare Cata and MoP, combustion was miles more potent in 4.1/4.3 than it is now (save for the short period after 5.1 went live and combo was 100% of ignite)... It was the thing that easily separated good and bad fire mages, and it was less RNG than current one with no crits and fixed ignite pool. Now you have almost 50% of total DPS done via pyro / pyro dot (maybe its not true for good geared mages, i went frost after 5.2, and had crapp-ish gear (circa 489) in T14) with 15% combo on single target fights, and combo could reach around 25-30% if you did it right back in cata.. And it was much better at AOE'ing. Admittedly, blizz did a good job at crippling fire aoe capablilites on transition between MoP and cata..

Quote Originally Posted by IsrafaelMage View Post
    If we compare Cata and MoP, combustion was miles more potent in 4.1/4.3 than it is now (save for the short period after 5.1 went live and combo was 100% of ignite)... It was the thing that easily separated good and bad fire mages, and it was less RNG than current one with no crits and fixed ignite pool. Now you have almost 50% of total DPS done via pyro / pyro dot (maybe its not true for good geared mages, i went frost after 5.2, and had crapp-ish gear (circa 489) in T14) with 15% combo on single target fights, and combo could reach around 25-30% if you did it right back in cata.. And it was much better at AOE'ing. Admittedly, blizz did a good job at crippling fire aoe capablilites on transition between MoP and cata..
    Combustion still separates good mages from bad nothing has changed. The entire game has changed from 4.1 until now, comparing one spell across an entire expansion is fruitless and meaningless. You are trying to say combustion is bad now because its not the same spell it was previously. This argument hold no weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidd View Post
    LOL Akraen. Mage AOE is dead and gone. No point of even trying when you got classes that can multi dot in one GCD (Hunter / Warlock / DK) or even classes that can spam their main nukes while another AOE is already going (Boomkin / Warlock).

Day in the life of Mage AOE:
    While we stand there and attempt to dot everything one at a time with NT and eventually start channelling our weak blizzard spell O wait they all dead already! Mage sits on the bottom of AOE pulls crying. Or even better your arcane and attempt to use your arcane explosion spell, forgo the dotting and stand in melee range and spam, pull aggro for some obscure reason because blizzard think its a good idea to have AE high on the aggro generation list and then get one shorted because you are soft like tissue paper. Again Mage sits on the bottom of AOE pulls crying.
    Frost mage's Frozen Orb says "hi"

Quote Originally Posted by hanketsu View Post
    Frost mage's Frozen Orb says "hi"
    ^this. Frostbomb, flamestrike, pet freeze for bonus frostbomb damage. FFB, IL, IL, frozen orb, spam IL = keep up with any class on AOE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by calcinator View Post
    keep up with any class on AOE for 10 seconds
    fixed it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Still channeled, so nope. Although Blizzard as a whole is kinda outdated spell, as its both channeled and fixed spot for 8 seconds.
    Probably a PTR tooltip error but it is saying "Instant" while live has "Channeled" in its tooltip.

Edit....this is based on the datamined object shown on the home page.
    Last edited by oldnmean; 2013-04-12 at 06:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnmean View Post
    Probably a PTR tooltip error but it is saying "Instant" while live has "Channeled" in its tooltip.

Instant would seriously make Blizzard awesome. Lets hope thats the plan

Quote Originally Posted by lockdnloaded View Post
    Instant would seriously make Blizzard awesome. Lets hope thats the plan
    Frost burst aoe would be pretty strong. Pop IV, FS, Blizz, Orb, lance spam.

Deleted
    It could be put on a cooldown, for example 12 seconds like flamestrike. At least Blizzard would have a purpose then. Right now and even with the 40% buff it's complete garbage, not worth casting.

Herald of the Titans Kuni Zyrekai's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnmean View Post

That's the actual effect, not the spell itself. It's also why it says 100 yard range. If you click through, it says it's triggered by this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    So they are buffing blizzard to make it worth putting on our bars?
    Oh wait, they also buff AE and flamestrike.
    So the point of buffing blizzard was....?
    Blizzard and AE should do around the same damage, they are just used in two completely different situations. Arcane Explosion when you're in melee range of everything that needs to be AoE'd and Blizzard when you can't be in melee range. Flamestrike should always be put down if the adds are going to live for the full duration of the Flamestrike, you should also plan your cast to end when the adds will spawn.

I don't want Blizzard to be a reskin of RoF (even if RoF started as a reskin of Blizzard) so instead of making it like that maybe we could have it as sort of a hybrid of RoF and Mind Sear
    A mighty Blizzard surrounds the target, damaging all enemies within X yards for Y every Z seconds. Castable on allies and enemies. Cooldown = Duration.

No longer requires channeling or even placement, it'll even follow mobs around if some inconsiderate tank moves them out of the target area.