Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Megaera multi-dotting?

Hello hunters! I'm just looking to see if our hunter is doing something he shouldn't be, but I don't play hunter myself so have to ask for some help here. On Megaera, is there any point or reason for a Survival hunter to put Serpent Sting on a head which is not currently being killed? Basically, is he just cheesing his DPS, or does he get some procs from it, or does it just happen naturally as part of his rotation?

There is no need to do that at all. Waste of damage and globals and time.

Most likely just trying to pad the meters.

10+ Year Old Account
    he just cheesing his DPS
    His damage output will be higher, but his single target on actual real target will be lower.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Thanks for the quick replies! I'll make sure he won't be coming back

Deleted
    I think thats a really bad reason to not take someone to raid, why dont you just talk to him and point it out?

Only valid reason to multi-dot is if you gain procs from said DoTs.

-Boomkins: Instant Starsurge procs
    -Shadow Priests: Instant Mind Spike and Mind Blast CD reset
    -Warlocks(Aff mostly): Resource gains, extra Soul Shards
    -Hunters: Black Arrow during Readiness time(More LnL procs)

Otherwise it's just meter padding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Serpent Sting damage regens focus in increments of 3 (which would help in a vacuum), but other than the initial application, he'd be wasting GCD's keeping it up on the second head (either Cobra Shot or another SS). My guess would be meter padding, but it may be something else. I would talk to them first.

Deleted
    I might talk to him about it. But we had a warrior who did the same thing the previous night and we called him out on it. Then when we got the new hunter in to help out, I made sure to point out that I didn't want to see any meter padding, and that damage done on any head but the target, is wasted.

It's possible that he didn't hear me say that. Unlikely, but possible. I'll keep an eye on him.

Deleted
    Just scumbag DPS. There's no reason to do it. If you want double procs for LnL using readiness, you're better off throwing an explosive trap at the head you're actually trying to kill as it will damage it as well.

I'll go you one better... a hunter in my guild goes MM for this fight exclusively so he can cheese his Aimed! procs onto the full health head taking advantage of the careful aim buff and in so doing tops the meters everytime and then has the balls to talk shit about how good his dps is...

/scumbag dps ftw?

If it's farm I wouldn't be terribly worried about it honestly, but if it's bothering you a lot, just mention it to him.

Deleted
    If this is normal Magaera it's 100% scumbag dps otherwise if its heroic version possible solution is that multishots on nether wyrms also apply serpent sting on other head sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post

don't forget shaman Flame Shock! (double amount of free lava burst )

Quote Originally Posted by Canidomini View Post
    Serpent Sting damage regens focus in increments of 3 (which would help in a vacuum), but other than the initial application, he'd be wasting GCD's keeping it up on the second head (either Cobra Shot or another SS). My guess would be meter padding, but it may be something else. I would talk to them first.
    The Serpent Sting mechanic that gives back focus has a 3 second ICD and Serpent Sting ticks every 3 seconds, meaning it doesn't matter if you have SrS up on 1 or 10000 mobs, it still gives 3 focus per 3 sec

The Serpent Sting mechanic that gives back focus has a 3 second ICD and Serpent Sting ticks every 3 seconds, meaning it doesn't matter if you have SrS up on 1 or 10000 mobs, it still gives 3 focus per 3 sec
    I wasn't aware of that personally (although I'm not a hunter main), so it's possible that he's also just uninformed about his class.

But I'd be inclined to think scumbag dps padding.

I am pretty sure there is an ICD for LnL, making it pointless double dotting targets, what you want to do instead could be explosive trap + Black arrow.

I could be wrong, I just know there was an ICD for it during Cataclysm.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).

Deleted
    The only justified case for SrS to be on the head you do not focus atm is on HC when hunter is on add duty and they are close to the head and it can be dotted by serpent spread. Every other case is just what everyone posted above.

only time I'd DoT another head is if the current head is about to die and we're killing that head next so my DoTs will be up when it reappears.

Probably a gain for rogues due to double venomous wound procs.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh