Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Mt. Hyjal was strongly hated by people who were progression raiding during TBC. I can't think of a single person I knew in my guild or in the other raiding guilds on my server who enjoyed that raid instance. Mind-numbing waves of trash that you had to repeat if you wiped followed by push-over bosses. The only boss who was not a total push-over was Archimonde and that fight was just a clusterfuck of people whining about the Tear not activating when they pressed it.

The nostalgia's gotta be pretty strong if anyone's pointing to Mt. Hyjal as an example of a good raid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majiinx View Post
    Wow didnt think this thread would take off like it did, glad other people agree (and disagree lol) Don't get me wrong I loved WotLK I felt pretty immerssed in the game and story as well, especially the storm peaks the Thorim storyline was definatly one of my favs. But the zones in BC were just great and they were so diverse too they were just so atomospheric and the soundtrack I remember entering the dark portal for the first time and seeing the massive demon zerg it was awsome. I felt was a cut above everything else. And no its definatly not nostalgia for me, vanilla wow holds the most nostalgia for me.

Cata is ok and MoP feels like a saterday morning cartoon. The tone in BC and WotLK was so much more serious.
    Same with Vanilla for me..or at least part of it. It was all new and different say I'd be impressed with anything at the time...granted that I'd vote to bring back Vanilla and TBC questing any day (level up wise). It just seems wrong for someone to level as fast or progress as fast nowadays...but yea ever since LFRetard got intruduced it's all gone to hell. :P

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    Mt. Hyjal was strongly hated by people who were progression raiding during TBC. I can't think of a single person I knew in my guild or in the other raiding guilds on my server who enjoyed that raid instance. Mind-numbing waves of trash that you had to repeat if you wiped followed by push-over bosses. The only boss who was not a total push-over was Archimonde and that fight was just a clusterfuck of people whining about the Tear not activating when they pressed it.

The nostalgia's gotta be pretty strong if anyone's pointing to Mt. Hyjal as an example of a good raid.
    I enjoyed it, but I made my own fun in that raid...I can understand why people pushing for realm/world first would hate it at the time though.

All bossfights were pretty neat imo...I loved the PvP trinket aspect of the first one.

Will anything feel as epic as TBC? No.

Vanilla / TBC era are over. The old Blizzard is gone.

All they care about is money now and trying to milk every last dollar out of this game.

yes. wotlk was by far.
    where the gameplay, mechanics and dumbed down essence of the game suffered, the actual story, immersion and plot was by far the best.

what made TBC great imo was the sense of server community. the feel was there in vanilla, and it stayed on throughout TBC. even in wrath the community feel was there. toc laid the groundwork for easily puggable shit, and ICC nailed it with the introduction of dungeon finder. that was the nail in the coffin for server community. LFR in cata was the pouring of cement over the coffin buried 6 feet under.
    if someone had a bad rep on your server in TBC, they didnt get invited to shit. people knew of them and their infamy. this stayed on all throughout wrath.

wrath also had my favorite in game event ever. the scourge invasion. nothing can ever top how fun that was. seeing capital cities a literal graveyard filled with zombies and being a paladin just beating the piss out of them, great fun. zombie raiding orgrimmar, world pvp being spontaneous at the invasion sites. it was something that will never happen again due to the playerbase change.
    the entire zones of storm peaks and icecrown are by far my favorite quest wise. ulduar was the best raid to be released in game. that feel when you finally can unlock algalon's room, only rivaled by facing yogg with no keepers. ICC didnt quite deliver as i was expecting, but i found it a suitable end to the arthas story.

For me Wrath and MoP have already surpassed it. But I think the answer is: no, because you've been playing the game too long.

While I know BC was not without its faults I feel that BC was the most epic and immersive xpac from WoW and IMO any other MMO. The scope was massive, the instances and raids were challenging and the zones were so atmospheric and moody, even today when I go through shadowmoon I get chills from the music and atmosphere. The raids felt so epic especially Black Temple and of course the armor sets and gear were among the best looking.
    Personally I found Shadowmoon Valley kind of dull apart from a few interesting quest chains, and BT is one of my least favourite raids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenonn View Post
    BC was epic? huh, learn something new everyday
    different people have different opinions. there you learned something again, isn´t it great?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Honestly? I havent found any game where ive had as much enjoyment as I did during TBC. It was spot on, and its hard to top.

Also please cut the "nostalgia" shit, you cant dismiss an opinion with that horrendously overused word.
    This entire thread is one big opinion pissing contest. Nothing new here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrd View Post
    if someone had a bad rep on your server in TBC, they didnt get invited to shit. people knew of them and their infamy. this stayed on all throughout wrath.
    Just want to say, this is a total lie. Every guild I was in in Wrath had "ban lists", people would talk about the scammers in trade, but it didn't matter. Those guys still got raids together. Plenty of people on the server didn't know who the scammers were. Worst case scenario they could change name or roll a new character. Which they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

BC had some great raids, but Outland is like a cheap cartoon compared to Northrend or Pandaria

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Just want to say, this is a total lie. Every guild I was in in Wrath had "ban lists", people would talk about the scammers in trade, but it didn't matter. Those guys still got raids together. Plenty of people on the server didn't know who the scammers were. Worst case scenario they could change name or roll a new character. Which they did.
    yes, there were people that were blacklisted. the trick was you add them to your friend list so you KNOW if they name changed.
    that was the case on the servers i played on, dragonmaw and magtheridon. on magtheridon there was this warrior that had changed his name about 4 times, but everyone still knew who he was. he was an egotistical shit with the skill of a crippled child. maybe your server was just different than mine. my servers were pretty close knit, usually everybody knew eachother. it was a massive social network.

It's just nostalgia and simplicity that makes it seem like the best, that's it.

It's no different than any long-running game series or TV show.

Lol at all these "no, it's just nostalgia" comments. If it were nostalgia, wouldn't I like Vanilla too? Or other games I played back then? I mean, since it's nostalgia, does that mean you think WotLK is the best for the same reasons people think TBC is the best?

For me, TBC was the best simply because of the difficulty of the raiding content. TBC had, overall, the most challenging content of any expansion, and that's not nostalgia, that's simple fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    Will anything feel as epic as TBC? No.

Vanilla / TBC era are over. The old Blizzard is gone.

All they care about is money now and trying to milk every last dollar out of this game.
    Coming from a guy named 'peso'? You 'corporations are evil but I use a machine created by corporations to complain about corporations' guys make me giggle.

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 02:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DeathCalls View Post
    Lol at all these "no, it's just nostalgia" comments. If it were nostalgia, wouldn't I like Vanilla too? Or other games I played back then? I mean, since it's nostalgia, does that mean you think WotLK is the best for the same reasons people think TBC is the best?

For me, TBC was the best simply because of the difficulty of the raiding content. TBC had, overall, the most challenging content of any expansion, and that's not nostalgia, that's simple fact.
    Yes, it was hard to get into dungeons, it was hard to get into raids because once you became attuned you became snatched up by a better guild, and you spent months grinding for 'x' resist gear so you could defeat one boss, which was a tank and spank once you got the gear. So no, it wasn't harder. And dont give me that crap that it took X weeks to put down illidan and only X weeks to put down lei shen, because those world firsters were pounding the newer dungeons out on the PTR to practice for the real release and that time counts towards the time it took to defeat Ra-den and Lei Shen.

Seeing Illidan the first sent real chills down my spine. It was a real moment for me and my guild. (Wonder if there's a hint there - memories with friends?) Killing Kalecgos, Brutallus and Muru were huge rushes, and Muru was the last rush I ever got from raiding, even from subsequently clearing Sarth hard modes and up to Uld 25 before I quit raiding.

All that said, ToT is really as good as BT, even in lowly LFR (I even got a bit of a rush from killing Durumu the first time after 6 wipes!), and Garrosh is shaping up to be as epic an encounter as Illidan was.. In fact, whenever I've made progression in the 5.1 Dominance Offensive storyline, it's sent chills down my spine. The 5.2 storylines aren't as close to the bone, but still a lot of fun. Overall, Mists is turning out to be the most tightly integrated lore experience of any expansion, and it's fantastic.

All this to say, yes, Mists is turning out to be as epic as BC for me in many ways. Neither Wrath nor Cata really "did" it for me the way BC did, but MoP has me hooked all over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    But the zones in BC were just great and they were so diverse too they were just so atomospheric
    Really?

I know it's all opinions, but I hated almost all of the BC zones, they just seemed really dull, bland, and boring for the most part. The only ones I really liked were Netherstorm and parts of Blade's Edge.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    While I know BC was not without its faults I feel that BC was the most epic and immersive xpac from WoW and IMO any other MMO. The scope was massive, the instances and raids were challenging and the zones were so atmospheric and moody, even today when I go through shadowmoon I get chills from the music and atmosphere. The raids felt so epic especially Black Temple and of course the armor sets and gear were among the best looking. I don't know whats planned for the next Xpac since some rumors say its the last others say they got 3 more. I'm hoping for another Burning Legion storyline since we still have KJ alive and of course Saragas they can defiantly revisit the burning legion again and I hope it can achieve the quality and feel of BC.
    Your nostalgia is pretty epic... I think that LK and Mists are better expansions, to be brutally honest, So I'd have to say that in the scale of epic, that BC has already been out-epic'd...

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Most people on this forum started playing in wrath, gonna get a lot of people looking back at that XP through the good old rose tinted glasses.

*~To change one's life: Start immediately. Do it flamboyantly.~*

TBC raids were overall poor except for Karazhan (Which I consider best raid ever) and BT (Didn't like the the story of how they kill Illidan for no real reason, but raid itself was nice) and maybe sunwell.

SSC and TK was copy paste stuff from heroic dungeons and Grull was just poor and Magtheridon was well decent.
    Hyjal is WC3 nostalgia thing that doesn't have reason to exist, plus horrible trash

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Most people on this forum started playing in wrath, gonna get a lot of people looking back at that XP through the good old rose tinted glasses.
    This is very true.

The "Best Xpac ever" is usually Xpac you joined in, and since more TBC people quit than Wrath people more Wrath nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    You mean (some) Heroic Dungeon that require class stacking and nobody wants to attempt because of their terrible loot to effort ratio?
    You mean spending months on gearing up and attuning alts for raids?
    You mean some of the most annoying trash packs ever in SSC with 30 mins respawn timer?
    You mean ridicoulous difficulty differences between bosses from Free Loot (Loot Reaver Akama) to straight out impossible for months like Kael thas?
    You mean 9 months of farming BT and FREAKIN MH without nothing else to do other than arena? (There were no achievments)
    You mean getting Glaives (=better SW progress) being based on nothing else then RNG?
    You mean tons of one button specs like CH Shaman and SB Lock?
    You mean Blizzard 'Bring the Player, not the Class! But don't forget to always bring 5 Shamans as many ppl as possible with Glaives and depending on the boss 5 Priests, 11 Healers or 4 Warlocks!

That said it was my favourite expansion.
    If Blizzard would make the game like it was back then in it's initial stage 90% of ppl would quit though.
    This has got to be my favorite quote explaining how I feel about BC. Technically, it was a very flawed game, and subsequent expansions featured vast improvements, but it's still my favorite.

Honestly though, raiding BT and Sunwell was a pretty exclusive club back then, and maybe a big part of why I love that expansion so much is because I was in that club. Had I been on the sidelines, never saw Illidan, never did Sunwell, well, I probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic about it.

Also, I played a shadow priest, so I was treated like a rock star the whole expansion even as I barely competed for 2nd to last place in DPS - with the other shadow priest.
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-04-19 at 04:00 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a lot of great moments in BC and several of my favourite raids (Karazhan, Black Temple) and fights (Lady Vashj, Felmyst) where from that era... but I think the storyline of Wrath was far more epic, and that expansion also had two very epic raids (Ulduar and ICC) and many epic fights (Mimeron, Yogg, the Lich King). Even Cataclysm, arguable the weakest expansion, brought us cool fights like Sinestra and Rags 2.0, the latter of which's hardmode was called one of the most epic fights Blizzard ever designed.

So, to answer that: yeah. I don't think BC was the pinnacle of "epic."

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |