Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think I did about 5-7 solves of Tol'vir before it showed up, I still haven't solved it since Cata though since I'm not really interested in it...

Deleted
    Got mine 3/03/2011 4:51PM according to arch log. Was pretty neat when i got. Rarely use it now days tho.

They buffed arch ridiculously much.

I was at over 2000 solves when I got mine. I'm now at over 4000 solves, and I still have yet to get the Dwarf Staff, and a couple of the Tol'Vir rares. As of this writing, there are only 4 items in-game that I haven't solved.

The thing that makes me the maddest is the "RNG" and getting the same solve 6-7 times in a row.

I won't bore our future readers by posting "solve numbers". It just creates a false sense of hope and expectation. Instead, I'll provide future Professors with this tip:

The new Mantid sites are incredibly small in area, making for shorter distances to run around in. This smaller size translates into more solves in a shorter time period, especially since Mantid sites are heavily consolidated into a very small number of zones.

I'm unable to link, but I recommend reading into Mantid archeology and what's required to begin it each day(doing so turns all Pandaria sites into relocated Mantid sites). Turning Mantid solves into Tol'Vir progress was the wisest move my wife discovered.
    Last edited by Nodus Cursorius; 2013-03-18 at 11:20 AM.

Finally got his mount after 195 solves. It was the last Tol'Vir rare to obtain. I did most of this grind in MOP as it was easier to hand in items for fragments.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got the mount as my 7th solve on the 21st December 2010 - 2nd week of Cataclysm.

Now... don't underestimate how much time I spent on getting it... was at least 60-80 hours time investment put in over those 2 weeks due to how slow arch was at the time. Getting the fragments to complete the scepter after I unlocked it took about 6-8 hours as it is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I got the mount as my 7th solve on the 21st December 2010 - 2nd week of Cataclysm.

Now... don't underestimate how much time I spent on getting it... was at least 60-80 hours time investment put in over those 2 weeks due to how slow arch was at the time. Getting the fragments to complete the scepter after I unlocked it took about 6-8 hours as it is.
    I leveled Archaeology back then too, I'm at several hundred Tol'vir solves, I traded in every single last crate for more Tol'vir artifacts when doing the Pandaria achievments and I don't have it. :|

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    I leveled Archaeology back then too, I'm at several hundred Tol'vir solves, I traded in every single last crate for more Tol'vir artifacts when doing the Pandaria achievments and I don't have it. :|
    Yeah I was still obscenely lucky at the end of the day. Just trying to ease the blow on you poor people in the hundreds... I completed my solve at about 5am in the morning after starting my day of max level arch farming at about 9am the day before XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post

Were you afk 90% of those 60-80 hours or something? Goodness. That's an awful lot of time for a crummy 7 solves. lol. But, still, what luck you had. Very cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    after maybe 10-15 solves. my GM hated me so much after i showed him the mount.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

3500+ solves and still no tolvir mount or troll sword, got everything else but just cba trying to get the mount anymore
    Whoops, sig too big

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalfeinn View Post
    3500+ solves and still no tolvir mount or troll sword, got everything else but just cba trying to get the mount anymore
    You'll get it eventually. I got it as my ~180th tol'vir solve so I can't really relate to you but still, the day will come!

Completely agree with above about how the day will come, after months of no luck whatsoever I chilled with it a bit and only did a little bit at a time when watching TV eps or something else to pass the time. One thing I'll say though, is when that icon does pop up the feeling is amazing.

As it happens I still miss 1 pristine for each of the achievements so I'm still not done with archeo just yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Around 175th tolvir solves was the mount My guild friend got it on his third solve I mean WTFFFFF.

True is that in MOP grinding of it become much quicker. Cata was was waaaay slower. (I did like 85% solves in Cata then I just gave up, but in MOP I was like oh come on lets get the mount finally)
    Last edited by Vashi; 2013-04-17 at 01:03 PM.
    Retired... but for how long? WAS DRAGGED TO THE LEGION HYPETRAIN!!!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vashiq/simple

Quote Originally Posted by Nodus Cursorius View Post
    I won't bore our future readers by posting "solve numbers". It just creates a false sense of hope and expectation. Instead, I'll provide future Professors with this tip:

The new Mantid sites are incredibly small in area, making for shorter distances to run around in. This smaller size translates into more solves in a shorter time period, especially since Mantid sites are heavily consolidated into a very small number of zones.

I'm unable to link, but I recommend reading into Mantid archeology and what's required to begin it each day(doing so turns all Pandaria sites into relocated Mantid sites). Turning Mantid solves into Tol'Vir progress was the wisest move my wife discovered.
    Sound advice, but even without the "mantid sites only" item (I forget the name) converting the crates to Tol'vir feels like a much nicer way of farming those fragments. The mantid only idea would make it faster, though, if that's the primary purpose. I'm still slowly whittling away at Seeker of Knowledge (and somewhat kicking myself because I didn't work on it more prior to 5.2).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm currently languishing at ~40 Tol'vir solves and neither the pet or the mount have come up. At least I did get the ring while it was current content I guess.
    Update: On my 60th solve, I got it! I thought it was the stave at first, but then I moused over it and was very surprised to realise it was the mount.

Now for that creeping hand pet!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

I'm at 205 tol'vir solves, and I have no Mount, no Pet, no Staff and no Sword. Note that I did 50% of that farming with the old 3-4-6 droprate.

The only real rare I have is the Nightelf Trinket, which took me 385 solves pre-MoP, when it was uselss (2 weeks before MoP release)

Troll 326, no Sword
    Dwarven 181, no Staff
    Fossil 207, no Shield

So yeah, after hours and hours of brainless grinding, I got rewarded only 1 of the actual rare ones. I guess I can better level Archeology on my alt in order to have a better chance for any of those rares.

My reccomendation? Make a Horde Mage. Kalimdor is so much easier to travel on as a mage (set hearth to Feralas, teleports to Ogrimmar (which means to Hyjal and Uldum as well) and Thunder Bluff) and it will save you huge amounts of time flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowserkills7 View Post
    My reccomendation? Make a Horde Mage. Kalimdor is so much easier to travel on as a mage (set hearth to Feralas, teleports to Ogrimmar (which means to Hyjal and Uldum as well) and Thunder Bluff) and it will save you huge amounts of time flying.
    Travel wise and Archeology wise, I would really advice an Dwarf Mage with Engineering. Being a dwarf gives you more fragments, more additional stones, much faster in searching (no cooldown on Survey), Engineering gives you 2 extra portals, Tanaris + Blade's Edge, or Winterspring + Netherstorm, although you do not really need them as a mage, it can save you a few minutes.

As a mage you can quickly travel to Theramore, Hyjal, Uldum, Tanaris (Caverns of time portal Dalaran) and Darnassus (not adviced). The only Portals I really miss as alliance are Thunderbluff (well centered in Kalimdor, and not far away from most of the digsites) and Undercity (Those Upper Eastern Kingdoms Areas have a bit of a flight time from Ironforge.). Although, Horde has the same issues on Eastern Kingdom, everything in the middle is an annoyingly long flight.
    Last edited by Nohara; 2013-04-22 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    I'm at 205 tol'vir solves, and I have no Mount, no Pet, no Staff and no Sword. Note that I did 50% of that farming with the old 3-4-6 droprate.

The only real rare I have is the Nightelf Trinket, which took me 385 solves pre-MoP, when it was uselss (2 weeks before MoP release)

Troll 326, no Sword
    Dwarven 181, no Staff
    Fossil 207, no Shield

So yeah, after hours and hours of brainless grinding, I got rewarded only 1 of the actual rare ones. I guess I can better level Archeology on my alt in order to have a better chance for any of those rares.
    I assume you're using the Pandaria dig sites and getting restored artifacts?