Thread: The Frostwolves

10+ Year Old Account

The Frostwolves

This is something that, given what we're seeing in 5.3, I believe blizzard are going to miss a trick on, where as it could have been something really good.

The frostwolves, one of the reasons it still my favourite orc clan, is because of its standing against gul'dan, its exile from the dark horde, how it was lead by durotan, and how its values passed to Thrall, and Drek'thar, though ancient now, still alive and giving his wisdom.

To me, given the situation with what is happening with orgrimmar, the kor'kron, and how orcs have now become what appears as a defacto badguy for all other races to target, this would have been a perfect time for the frostwolves to step up and do something, be like a frostwolf offensive against the kor'kron, since there values of honor and the true spirit of the horde would be a real wake up call for people to know not all orcs are the enemy.

Well on the subject of it, a friend of mine raised an intresting point with one of lorewalker Chos visions, in how in one of the visions, i think something to do with the titans and the mogu, we see the image of Thrall, Aggra and his son stood before a frostwolf banner. What we thought would be a good idea, was if Thrall doesn't become leader of the horde again, that he instead takes on the duty of the frostwolf chieftain, which is technically is meant to be anyway.

If we don't see anything of the frostwolves in the siege, I'll be disappointed.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor Drek'tar is stuck in a wheelchair, hopefully if we get a new AV Galv will be the new leader & new sub boss.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Poor Drek'tar is stuck in a wheelchair, hopefully if we get a new AV Galv will be the new leader & new sub boss.
    Blind man in wheelchair kinda fits AV's theme of alliance favorism
    OT: Im pretty sure that if thrall menage to rally group of orcs to oppose garrosh frostwolves will be first to join.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats another thing, Drek is probably the oldest 'mortal' character in wow (excluding elves and draenei and everliving beings), and you can't expect him to live much longer. If they intend to off him, it need to be with a bang at least.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    Well I don't see the Frostwolves participating but not due to the fact that they don't want to, but rather because Drek is their leader and, as I understood from one of the books, he's grown senile. Now, as it stands, I don't know orc lore very well, but if he one day says "sure, join Thrall" and another day he's just remembering old events and saying "no, our loyalty lies with the Horde" or something, the Frostwolves wouldn't know what to do. He's led them there and was wise, but now the question in the mind of the Frostwolves would be, is it right to still follow him or not really?

Also don't forget that Drek, besides being senile (so having mental problems) is also in a wheelchair (so he has physical problems too). Age has taken his toll on him, and I don't see him fighting anyone anymore. I do hope, as you said, that Thrall might not lead the Horde and go lead the Frostwolves, that would be something. But as far as Drek, I don't see him doing much and I think it's much more of a better story if, after the busy life he has lead, unlike other old leaders, he dies alone of old age. It's more emotional and heartbreaking so to say to see him extinguished not in battle, but by old age, senile and alone.

---------- Post added 2013-04-18 at 10:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Not really. AV is set in the past, in the present the Frostwolves won. Not by fighting, but by politics, the dwarves agreed to leave the Frostwolves lands (though not the forsaken ones, and, if you look at that, as forsaken you get to fight them because they set camps in Hillsbrad and are preparing to attack the forsaken).

Thenically except Arathi Basin (since that zone was not updated), Alterac Valley was won by the Horde through politics, and for Warsong Gulch, tehnically the night elves won a major battle in which King Chin participated, though with the entry of the Horde through Stonetalon, that became meaningless as the fight for WSG was to stop the Horde from getting in Ashenvale, so the war for WSG was lost by the Alliance as they faltered in their goal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but the frostwolves are meant to be more then just about drek'thar. There meant to be the only orcish clan that went against the corrupted power of gul'dan, making them rebellious and true to honor. Given how the orcs right now are in such a dark place, and the only orc we've seen so far not following the example of ones like kor'kron is Thrall himself, this would have been a perfect time for him to call his clansmen to help.
    #boycottchina

Drek'thar is basically an invalid. Pretending that the Frostwolves were ever more than Thrall and Drek'thar is pretty reaching.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Frostwolves won't be at SoO for the same reason there will be no blood elves or forsaken in any large numbers, there's an ocean in the way. The Frostwolves also don't have any ships. They more or less live independently from the Horde in Alterac Valley.

I don't see how the frostwolves could have gotten to Durotar for 5.3. I'm sure they'd be against what Garrosh is doing, but getting them there instead of focusing on the trolls I don't think would have fit as well. Hopefully they'll show up for 5.4, but there's already so much going on I don't think they're really needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Frostwolves are a creation of old Blizzard. The only reason the current dev team would bring them into the story would be to trash (sorry, "improve") them. They're better off ignored and left alone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    The Frostwolves won't be at SoO for the same reason there will be no blood elves or forsaken in any large numbers, there's an ocean in the way. The Frostwolves also don't have any ships. They more or less live independently from the Horde in Alterac Valley.
    actually 5.3 suggests that both the elves and forsaken will be there in 5.4 but not during 5.3 cause there away

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowraven View Post
    Also don't forget that Drek, besides being senile (so having mental problems) is also in a wheelchair (so he has physical problems too). Age has taken his toll on him, and I don't see him fighting anyone anymore. I do hope, as you said, that Thrall might not lead the Horde and go lead the Frostwolves, that would be something. But as far as Drek, I don't see him doing much and I think it's much more of a better story if, after the busy life he has lead, unlike other old leaders, he dies alone of old age. It's more emotional and heartbreaking so to say to see him extinguished not in battle, but by old age, senile and alone.
    The last we saw in the game from Drek'Thar was in the Hillsbrad quest, where he was in a wheelchair but anything but senile. And I remember this quest very vividly as a "shit what are we doing here" moment... maybe not for the character bot for any player who fought in Alterac Valley before, his harsh words were memorable. But if he can't travel anymore, Galvangar could take part in the opposition against Garrosh, although his character was not developed much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    The last we saw in the game from Drek'Thar was in the Hillsbrad quest, where he was in a wheelchair but anything but senile. And I remember this quest very vividly as a "shit what are we doing here" moment... maybe not for the character bot for any player who fought in Alterac Valley before, his harsh words were memorable. But if he can't travel anymore, Galvangar could take part in the opposition against Garrosh, although his character was not developed much.
    Think it's... the Shattering by Christie Golden? Or is it another book? Can't remember for sure. Basically there it's explained that Drek has some moments when he's clear minded and others when he just sits in his room fearing for his life because he knows one day his death will come knocking at the door or something. We're not sure if his "death" is a figure of speech or it's a vision he had about someone coming to kill him. I always presumed that in Cataclysm when he got out he was in one of those clear mind moments.

Think it's... the Shattering by Christie Golden? Or is it another book? Can't remember for sure. Basically there it's explained that Drek has some moments when he's clear minded and others when he just sits in his room fearing for his life because he knows one day his death will come knocking at the door or something. We're not sure if his "death" is a figure of speech or it's a vision he had about someone coming to kill him. I always presumed that in Cataclysm when he got out he was in one of those clear mind moments.
    He has a few moments in the Shattering. The spirits send him a vision in his dreams, but they don't even make sense to him, and Palkar somewhat wonders if it's just more of his 'bad moments'. He also appears in the manga 'Shaman'. We get a really good look at his senile moments in that one, he even grabs Muln by the beard, but we also get a lucid few moments with him too. He's still in there, I just wonder for how much longer. For now he is essentially the leader of the Frostwolves. While it would be kinda neat if he passed on(in whatever way suits Blizzard) and Thrall takes over Frostwolf leadership, I don't think Blizz would relegate him down to battleground boss.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavannah View Post
    He has a few moments in the Shattering. The spirits send him a vision in his dreams, but they don't even make sense to him, and Palkar somewhat wonders if it's just more of his 'bad moments'. He also appears in the manga 'Shaman'. We get a really good look at his senile moments in that one, he even grabs Muln by the beard, but we also get a lucid few moments with him too. He's still in there, I just wonder for how much longer. For now he is essentially the leader of the Frostwolves. While it would be kinda neat if he passed on(in whatever way suits Blizzard) and Thrall takes over Frostwolf leadership, I don't think Blizz would relegate him down to battleground boss.
    Thanks for that info.

As for the battleground boss, they don't need to. AV is happening in the Classic timeline. Since Cataclysm the conflict there has ended. Look, for example, I still think the archdruid on the Alliance side, who summons the big boss, is the same lady that died in the meeting with Hamuul during the Shattering when they were ambushed by Twilight orcs. Yet she's there because that conflict has ended. It's like Dalaran in Northrend. It's there because it was there then. But now Dalaran isn't there anymore.

Thanks for that info.

As for the battleground boss, they don't need to. AV is happening in the Classic timeline. Since Cataclysm the conflict there has ended. Look, for example, I still think the archdruid on the Alliance side, who summons the big boss, is the same lady that died in the meeting with Hamuul during the Shattering when they were ambushed by Twilight orcs. Yet she's there because that conflict has ended. It's like Dalaran in Northrend. It's there because it was there then. But now Dalaran isn't there anymore.
    Yes yes, very true. Gogo Blizz's time flux physics!

Deleted
    I am ok with Blizz uniting the Horde, but a little sad, that we dont have a more of the different orc clans. Its really sad, that we only have some of them in a very small amount like the Warsong for the battleground, and also the frostwolves. Its really sad, that there are no bases or towns of those clans.
    Event the big event in Nagrand, where the role player servers did that big xrealm event. why isnt that a holiday event in wow? Its one of the orcs sacret events I thought. and they wont do that because they are united under the horde? there would be a lot of potential i think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Thats another thing, Drek is probably the oldest 'mortal' character in wow (excluding elves and draenei and everliving beings), and you can't expect him to live much longer. If they intend to off him, it need to be with a bang at least.
    You do know 99% of wow players wouldn't even know who he was now days.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baskrik View Post
    I am ok with Blizz uniting the Horde, but a little sad, that we dont have a more of the different orc clans. Its really sad, that we only have some of them in a very small amount like the Warsong for the battleground, and also the frostwolves. Its really sad, that there are no bases or towns of those clans.
    Event the big event in Nagrand, where the role player servers did that big xrealm event. why isnt that a holiday event in wow? Its one of the orcs sacret events I thought. and they wont do that because they are united under the horde? there would be a lot of potential i think.
    I think it's lame. Not a whole lot of clans are left. You have Warsong, Frostwolves and now recently Dragonmaw but that's it.

The rest has all been wiped out pretty much. So the title: Warchief, Lord of the Clans doesn't have much meaning anymore when there's only 3 clans left, and only 1 big clan: Warsong.

All the way up to Cataclysm there used to be some Rogue quest that talked about the Shattered Hand Clan, so they still existed as a minority clan. But with Cataclysm they were deleted I think. But they weren't even exclusively Orc anymore anyway.

Strangely enough the Blacktooth Grin Clan of Rend and Maim Blackhand was usurped by the Blackrock Clan seeing how Rend Blackhand was a boss in Blackrock Spire.

I'd love to see the resurrection of the Thunderlord, Bleeding Hollow and Stormreaver Clan though. Thunderlord still has a base in Blade's Edge but the population is missing, they could reintroduce them as if they were hiding. Bleeding Hollow could be remade by Jorin Deadeye and Stormreaver could still be missing in the South Seas, as the chaos surrounding the Tomb of Sargeras split up the Horde. And we've seen Drak'thul, a Stormreaver Warlock, in the short Horde campaign of Warcraft 3:TFT.

---------- Post added 2013-04-19 at 01:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    You do know 99% of wow players wouldn't even know who he was now days.
    99% of wow players don't know 99% of the lore, so yeah.

Deleted
    Maybe he has a fall out with Garrosh like Vol'jin had and is Garrosh the mysterious person that's trying to break in and kill him.