Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    They launched hardmodes which I feel is band-aid content on my server, Icewatch busiest EU maybe 2 guilds try them and if we multiply that by all servers less than 400 people doing them off a guess, would rather they brought new 10man at that time which would of interested thousands, so making us ideally only have to wait another 3 months for next 20man, but at this rate gonna be long long time for 20man raid, which makes me sad
    the new 20 man is coming with 2.4 said daglar today at official forums
    Also 2.4 will come in a shorter amount of time than 2.2 to 2.3
    Some good news here

http://forums.riftgame.com/official-...an-please.html

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    Some good news here

Yeah I could be understanding that wrong but it sounds to me like there won't be too long of a wait from 2.3 to 2.4. Of course only problem is we still don't know when 2.3 comes out. I am guessing mid may and that is assuming they get it on pts no later then next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpy View Post
    Some good news here

So it'll be 5 months and 3 weeks as opposed to a full 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    So it'll be 5 months and 3 weeks as opposed to a full 6 months?
    6 months where are you getting that number from? Though to be honest I would not be surprised if we are at least a couple months away from 2.3. I am hoping for mid may but that is probably being too hopeful and is basically assuming they really rush the testing :/ Which could lead to buggy content that makes the patch seem crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliso View Post
    6 months where are you getting that number from? Though to be honest I would not be surprised if we are at least a couple months away from 2.3. I am hoping for mid may but that is probably being too hopeful and is basically assuming they really rush the testing :/ Which could lead to buggy content that makes the patch seem crappy.
    Well, he didn't say anything at all about when 2.3 was to be expected. If it were only a couple months away, I would think he would have said. I doubt it will be 6 months too, but we are fast approaching 2 months, with no sign of it even on the PTS, or a mention of when it will be on the PTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Well, he didn't say anything at all about when 2.3 was to be expected. If it were only a couple months away, I would think he would have said. I doubt it will be 6 months too, but we are fast approaching 2 months, with no sign of it even on the PTS, or a mention of when it will be on the PTS.
    Yeah good point our best bet will be hopefully shortly before or after the livestream. But who knows we don't even know if the livestream will actually show Dendrome and not just talk about it..

I know that I had high hopes for Storm Legion (I even quit WoW for it because it looked so much better) but it really does feel like the game is holding on with a thread. Coupled with the fact my guild is full of nice but terrible people (the kind who don't want to use guides but want to "build what they think works") also means that we can only do the 10-man (and even after months that's not on farm, we usually have a few wipes) and fail miserably at the 20-man is making me really reconsider it. I only log on for raids because I'm so sick of doing Ashora/Steppes dailies, even though I need the rep. There's hardly anything to do and what you can do feels even more boring than dailies in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as there's so much "concern" about lack of content and other "worries" let me provide a few numbers to look, already posted this on the Rift forum

Year One:

Rift 1.0 released Feb 24th 2011

Update 1.1 released Mar 30th = 34 days
    Update 1.2 released May 10th = 41 days
    Update 1.3 released Jun 22nd = 43 days
    Update 1.4 released Aug 3th = 42 days
    Update 1.5 released Sep 28th = 56 days
    Update 1.6 released Nov 16th = 49 days

Average time between patches = 42 days

Year Two:

Update 1.7 released Feb 2nd = 78 days
    Update 1.8 released Apr 18th = 75 days
    Update 1.9 released Jun 27th = 70 days
    Update 1.10 released Sep 12th = 77 days
    Update 1.11 released Oct 17th = 35 days

Average time between patches = 75 days (didn't count 1.11 into that as it was more a 'prep' patch for SL)

Rift 2.0 -Storm Legion:

Rift 2.0 released Nov 13th

Update 2.1 released Dec 12th = 29 days
    Update 2.2 released Feb 27th = 77 days
    Update 2.3 released ?? = 54 days to date and counting

As you can see, the average time between each Update went from 42 days in the first year to 75 days in the second year.

So extrapolating forward, Update 2.3 still has nearly 3 weeks to appear and still be within an "average" for time between patches, here endeth the lesson

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    So extrapolating forward, Update 2.3 still has nearly 3 weeks to appear and still be within an "average" for time between patches, here endeth the lesson
    Here does not endeth the lesson. Here the lesson begins: Compare the content provided in those patches, how quickly it was completed, and how rewarding it was for players and I think you will see where the issue is starting to happen. It's not a matter of simply delivering content in time, it's providing content period.

I logged on last night to try and remember that I do enjoy the game, did crafting dailies, then logged out. I logged out because there simply wasn't anything to do for my character. Unlike other games, I have no desire to level an alt knowing that there will be little to do with them when I hit max. The entire time I'm playing my character can't be spent on achievements and dimensions. That's a pretty large void of content that other games fill with several things.

To be honest I don't know what would solve the problem specifically, but having more things to work towards, new things to participate in, and more rewards for your character would be where to start outside of raiding. You can look at the Carnival 'event' for a summation of what everything left to do equates to: Mind numbing repetition, lack of fun, and little rewards.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    . It's not a matter of simply delivering content in time, it's providing content period.
    So what was Storm Legion then? you suggesting it didn't provide any content to Rift?

So what was Storm Legion then? you suggesting it didn't provide any content to Rift?
    Storm legion did provides lots of content but its been several months since it launched. Many people have burned through all the new content it has to offer and are down to doing the same dailies/zone events over and over and maybe logging in to raid if they raid. There is still lots to do if your new Rift has a ton of content for them. But for those of us that have been here awhile we really need something new to do and there hasn't been anything in quite awhile.

More so than speed, recent content has been pretty lame/ho-hum. There are a lot "eh" in Rift guild chat. That's part of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    More so than speed, recent content has been pretty lame/ho-hum. There are a lot "eh" in Rift guild chat. That's part of the issue.
    Yeah to be honest if it meant we would get larger more quality patches I wouldn't even mind waiting longer between patches. As long as the wait wasn't like 6 months between patches. But an extra month wouldn't be too bad if it meant the patch would have lots of content.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Storm Legion felt solid going through it, intial impressions of events were fairly awesome, Volan (though a slideshow) was an awesome concept, but especially as someone who doesn't raid....what else is there?

Nothing. So in a sense, SL didn't provide any content because nothing is lasting. GH was fun at first, tedious at second, worthless at 3rd....with nothing to further that design or to replace it in the content cycle. And this is really the crux of the issue. SL content seems like a waiting in an airport for your plane which is being constantly delayed. The airport isn't designed to spend long stretches of time in before heading off to a more fun destination, much like SL feels.
    BAD WOLF

Seeing as there's so much "concern" about lack of content and other "worries" let me provide a few numbers to look, already posted this on the Rift forum

Year One:

Year Two:

Average time between patches = 75 days (didn't count 1.11 into that as it was more a 'prep' patch for SL)

Rift 2.0 -Storm Legion:

As you can see, the average time between each Update went from 42 days in the first year to 75 days in the second year.

The same argument I posed you on the original forums is the same things the posters here are saying. You can't just compare -when- you have to compare -what-. What have we gotten since SL? We had EE, should have been in at launch, were told it was gonna be in at launch. It wasn't so they based a content patch around it? It should have been a hotfix since it was supposed to be part of 2.0. Other than that we have gotten Dimensions, which is more than likely a separate team from encounter designers, class designers and the engineers working on Strongholds, the quest writers for Dendrome and all the other things. Sure Dimensions are great but it's the only thing we have gotten outside of EE since SL that is not recycled content or grinds just for the sake of grinds.

Let me ask you this, to you specifically. How often are you currently logging in to Rift weekly and what is it that you do while logged in?

15+ Year Old Account
    There was an extremely high amount of leveling content. But once you hit 90 the end game content got old fast. You either sat in queues for an hour for experts, waited for world bosses to rotate between Ashora and Infinity Steppes or did your defense dailies.

I don't fault the developers at all. I'm sure they are trying their damn best but it falls on the shoulders of management. Prioritizing their tasks or having enough employees to pump out content. Something went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    There was an extremely high amount of leveling content. But once you hit 90 the end game content got old fast.
    Well, yeah. If you are 30 levels higher than everyone else it's going to be boring.
    (jokez)

I really enjoyed storm legions 5 man experts (I didn't do them on normal. World gear let me skip that).
    I am looking forward to seeing more and master modes. I really dislike group content over 5 man unless its like world eventy. In a 5 man group there's far less diffusion of responsibility so I tend to see less drama in them. And when there is drama in a 5 man it gets sorted out in minutes rather than a silent, growing hatred for that one guy who doesn't know his rotation or that other guy who keeps standing in AOE. And then you get tells like "You are the X class officer. teach him how to play ffs". Which is never fun.
    Rift is fantastic and I respect Trion so hard. I suspect it just isn't for me anymore. It's a fantastic WoW era MMO but... it is WoW era.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Well, I guess it's not easy keeping it "eve online-ish", settling for a smaller playerbase and just keep it as their precious baby. I think Trion is looking to grow and become more popular. However, will we see Rift as it is today and with it's business model grow? Next to no marketing of the game, resources cut off and it seems also their much beloved regular updates seems to lack behind. Like someone said, f2p is the only option if they want to grow and gain more profits out of the game.
    Seems like they are going after fast profit model now, with making defiance b2p instead of f2p, they make a half decent product they hope to sell multiple boxes of because they hope people who like the show will buy it because of that. It's a way to make a living as well, we see plenty of games like that.
    Perhaps they think they will get away with p2p with archeage, I guess that will be their new big success... at least what they might be hoping for. I do however hope they really think through the business model before they decide. It's hard times for p2p-model, even if the game can be hyped and all that. However I think that Archeage is what trion is relying on in the upcoming years.
    The future of Rift will be interesting to follow, I can see it go in 2 directions: either keep it like it is and make it live a little as long as there are players around, or go f2p and bring more players in and more cash to let it gain some strenght.

Deleted

Year One:

Year Two:

Rift 2.0 -Storm Legion:

you know, u are right
    The only problem is that 2.2 patch was very light on content, only the world event and the hard modes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Well, I guess it's not easy keeping it "eve online-ish", settling for a smaller playerbase and just keep it as their precious baby.
    The only way they grow Rift is F2P. Rift's core problem in selling the game is that the game is a very standard, 2nd wave MMO. It's basically World of Warcraft with some kinks from a gameplay and design perspective. And not very either.

Rift does execute pretty well, I feel. Yet when pitching this game to people Trion are fighting against people who will likely think in mass, "Why would I play WoW in Rift when I can just play WoW where all my friends are already?"

There is no Star Wars license. There is no esoteric visual style appealing to a broad demographic. There is no novelty of the current MMO generation, et cetera.

Rift has the LOTRO problem; solid, well made game in a very traditional style.

That is a very thin market you are are selling to for $15/mo.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-04-20 at 04:04 AM.