Poll: Should the police have been called?

Page 1 of 37
... LastLast

Student Charged After Refusing To Remove NRA Shirt

Here is the story

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3128715.html

Would not be surprised if in 10 - 15 years we hear about a student who was arrested for giving a teacher the finger or a dirty look.

^This part is a joke, some one thought i was serious.

Some updated info:

Quote Originally Posted by DaNoob2 View Post
    The student was allowed to return to classes today and was allowed to wear the same shirt that started the incident. Other students also have purchased the shirt and are now wearing it as a symbol of solidarity.

The school (Logan Middle School) in WV has a statue of a soldier in front of it. The soldier is holding a rifle with a fixed bayonet.

1969 Tinker vs. Des Moines Independent Community School District the justice stated that students do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech at the schoolhouse gate.

Here is some contact information for the schools principle and school superintendent if you are interested in letting then know how you feel about the issue.
    Principle- Ernestine Sutherland at esutherl@access.k12.wv.us
    Superintendent- Wilma Zigmond at wzigmond@access.k12.wv.us
    Last edited by Gemini Soul; 2013-04-23 at 05:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post
    Here is the story

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3128715.html

Would not be surprised if in 10 - 15 years we hear about a student who was arrested for giving a teacher the finger or a dirty look.
    The police officer quotes "We did not arrest him for wearing an NRA tee-shirt.

As always, probably a lot more to this story than wearing a tee-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolicious View Post
    The police officer quotes "We did not arrest him for wearing an NRA tee-shirt.

As always, probably a lot more to this story than wearing a tee-shirt.
    This. Was probably arrested for shouting a bunch of shit at teachers and then police.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    This. Was probably arrested for shouting a bunch of shit at teachers and then police.
    As I'd always do, I'd make it known that I feel they are being a bit silly about the matter, and then take it off. My opinion is known, and I'm not arrested. Good times all around.

Huffington Post is notorious for taking shit out of full context.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    As I'd always do, I'd make it known that I feel they are being a bit silly about the matter, and then take it off. My opinion is known, and I'm not arrested. Good times all around.
    What the kid in the article probably thought he was doing...

"I am just supporting my rights as an American."

What he was really doing...

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Sunrise View Post
    There's also no such thing as free speech at school either. Wearing apparel with sexually provocative jokes is often actioned against, for example.

So glad I'm no longer in public school!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    There's also no such thing as free speech at school either.
    Odd... I've made my opinions known about rules before (going along with the punishment, of course) and came out fine. The trick is to be calm about the damn thing.

Question is why was the police called at all? If he refused to remove it they should of had him sit in waiting area of the office called his parents and have him wait there till they came to get him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only in my state... So glad I live in a not so redneck part of WV

Its an example of someone having their 1st amendment rights violated for showing support for the 2nd amendment.
    this isn't the first occurrence of how the school system is propagandizing our children we have had kids suspended for playing cowboys and Indians, we have had kids suspended for eating his sandwich in the shape of a gun we have had the police called on a father because his son had a photo of himself posing with a gun on his face book. had a mother come across school work by an elementary age student that stated i am willing to give up some constitution rights for security, and i can list many many more.
    the liberal philosophy is if we cant change the publics agenda today we will propagandize their children so we can change it in the near future

Deleted
    I do not care about 1 stupid teenager making trouble at school, I care just enough to let other people know I do not care xD
    Damned kids skateboarding on the sidewalk wearing dem thea-shirts...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodrayne of Lothar View Post
    Question is why was the police called at all? If he refused to remove it they should of had him sit in waiting area of the office called his parents and have him wait there till they came to get him.
    Perhaps wait for more information? Rather than basing an opinion around only one side of the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wearing apparel with sexually provocative jokes is often actioned against, for example.
    Oh. That makes sense. Obviously there's no defense, or even a point of trying to disagree with action like that.

But this... Eh... Could be taken both ways as far as "provocative" goes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Its an example of someone having their 1st amendment rights violated for showing support for the 2nd amendment.
    this isn't the first occurrence of how the school system is propagandizing our children we have had kids suspended for playing cowboys and Indians, we have had kids suspended for eating his sandwich in the shape of a gun we have had the police called on a father because his son had a photo of himself posing with a gun on his face book. had a mother come across school work by an elementary age student that stated i am willing to give up some constitution rights for security, and i can list many many more.
    the liberal philosophy is if we cant change the publics agenda today we will propagandize their children so we can change it in the near future
    lol, always the amendments...

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    Wrong. You don't have first amendment rights in school.

Ex. Westboro can spew their hateful shit in public, but try taking a sign "GOD HATES <*>" to school and watch the results.

Ex. Westboro can spew their hateful shit in public, but try taking a sign "GOD HATES <*>" to school and watch the results.
    everything exists only in context to the 2nd amendment i guess. give him a minute, and im sure he'll explain how this is obama's fault
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

1st amendment is really shaking these days. I'm not sure how westboro really gets away with it. I've seen police get involved over yelling fights calling it disturbing the peace. How is that same church not disturbing the peace?

Perhaps wait for more information? Rather than basing an opinion around only one side of the story.
    This happened last week, if he was loud/violent it would of been said all ready.