Dummies for healers and tanks?

Hey guys,

So I was thinking about this idea the other day and personally I think it's a pretty good idea! How about dummies for healers and tanks to test out the incoming dmg for tanks and be able to maximize your hps on dummies just like DPS'es can do on regular dummies?

I don't know, this came up in my head and thought I should just put it up here to see what other people think about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Elunefesslol View Post
    Hey guys,

So I was thinking about this idea the other day and personally I think it's a pretty good idea! How about dummies for healers and tanks to test out the incoming dmg for tanks and be able to maximize your hps on dummies just like DPS'es can do on regular dummies?

I don't know, this came up in my head and thought I should just put it up here to see what other people think about it!
    There is no rotation for tanking or healing so this wouldn't work. How would you do it? For a healer you'd need to basically have multiple dummies that are all getting hit/healed randomly. Tanks would just be trying to pick up random dummies that attack other dummies unless you have threat. This wouldn't work..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the legendary quest continuation in 5.3 will include a solo challenge based on your role (tank, healer, melee DPS, or ranged DPS), so that may be a sort of testing ground for something more general-purpose (i.e. Proving Grounds).

you can just heal any player or npcs thats standing around in town.
    for tanking uhm... wat? 8>

Proving Grounds is what you are asking for, a feature that should come.. some day.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're actually working on such feature aka "Proving Grounds". I heard that they're saying it might come 5.4 but who knows?

15+ Year Old Account
    Training dummies for healers and tanks? LFR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    Training dummies for healers and tanks? LFR
    The point of a training dummy is that screwing up doesn't affect anyone else. Screwing up in LFR, especially as a tank, affects 24 other people. There's considerably more pressure to know what you're doing before entering than there would be with something solo like Proving Grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    There is no rotation for tanking or healing so this wouldn't work. How would you do it? For a healer you'd need to basically have multiple dummies that are all getting hit/healed randomly. Tanks would just be trying to pick up random dummies that attack other dummies unless you have threat. This wouldn't work..
    I don't see why it wouldn't, at least from a healing perspective. Random damage to two or more dummies would work just fine, particularly if you could see whatever "mob" was harming the dummies in the first place and could react accordingly.

For me, anyway, the value wouldn't be practicing a rotation (as you said, there isn't one) but becoming familiar with my abilities and becoming accustomed to the stress. Totally workable in the scenario you described.

(A tanking scenario might be tough, but I'm sure there's a way to make it work.)
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbot View Post
    I don't see why it wouldn't, at least from a healing perspective. Random damage to two or more dummies would work just fine, particularly if you could see whatever "mob" was harming the dummies in the first place and could react accordingly.

For me, anyway, the value wouldn't be practicing a rotation (as you said, there isn't one) but becoming familiar with my abilities and becoming accustomed to the stress. Totally workable in the scenario you described.

(A tanking scenario might be tough, but I'm sure there's a way to make it work.)
    To reduce the stress in healing, you need learn to predict damage. Not react to it. Every encounter is actually different, so a "healing dummy taking random damage" would not really help you.

If you just want to become familiar with your abilities, then you can do that pretty much by healing yourself.

That being said, a healing training dummy would be kind of neat (as would a tanking dummy). However, they are not really needed. This has also been discussed to death in many many posts.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    On my healers the people I have to heal the most are typically the dummies unless the content is hitting hard enough the tank is actually taking decent damage...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    By that logic, DPS dummies shouldn't work because DPS don't just stand still.
    Since it won't be obvious, that was a half joke. Seriously, they could make healer/tank dummies work. Dummies aren't meant to test every situation, only to get a basic feel for things. I wouldn't mind a dummy that attacks a tank so he can check his avoidance, or a friendly dummy a healer can target to test the potency/mana cost of heals.