10+ Year Old Account

Resto Shaman Help

My guild is a 10man guild, not a very progressive guild, but not the worst either. Having said that, I noticed that on a lot of the fights that we die due to lack of healing the Resto Shaman healer has done quite a bit less healing than myself, a Holy Pally, and our other healer a Disc Priest. So I decided to start logging our raids, starting today. So here is our WoL report. It starts at Gara'Jal, and goes over the next 1:45. Would of had the first two bosses, but I forgot to do /combatlog

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-y7t4qh34cz6hkhq4/

Any advice you can give me to give him would be wonderful.
    Thanks!

EDIT: Here is his armory profile: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...chero/advanced

What he should be doing
    - use Healing Stream totem
    - not to use Riptide glyph
    - increase uptime on Riptide
    - use his cds
    - use elemental mastery with healing tide and Ascendance
    - use healing rain
    - cutdown from spamming of chain heal other then when it will actually bounces to more then 2 people
    - Uptime on Earth Shield
    - Gem More Spirit
    - Reforge to Crit as he dosnt have the ToT 2 set bonus
    - Change Riptide Glyph to Healing Stream Totem Glyph

Quote Originally Posted by Velthari View Post
    What he should be doing
    - use Healing Stream totem
    - not to use Riptide glyph
    - increase uptime on Riptide
    - use his cds
    - use elemental mastery with healing tide and Ascendance
    - use healing rain
    - cutdown from spamming of chain heal other then when it will actually bounces to more then 2 people
    - Uptime on Earth Shield
    - Gem More Spirit
    - Reforge to Crit as he dosnt have the ToT 2 set bonus
    - Change Riptide Glyph to Healing Stream Totem Glyph
    Sorry but half the things you said are more than a preference than anything,
    riptide glyph, a complete preference. I agree that its not very strong, it uses too much mana and probably does less healing in a fight spreading hots around than healing normally.
    elemental mastery, sure its nice to use with healing tide or ascendance but it can also be used as its own cooldown. Usually i find healing tide and ascendance to be strong enough to keep the raid alive without em so why not use that 30% haste more often and on its own when its needed?
    gemming more spirit - yea i agree than 8.5k is low but again, if hes not running out of mana, then its enough. Remember this is in msv so 8.5k was plenty back when it was content, why not now?
    Crit is also a preference, it doesnt work for everyone, and depending on your other healers or how low people are usually then mastery might become better. That being said, since hes healing with pally and a disc, crit will become a better stat just because nobodies hp will drop as much and crit also works as a regen stat

Ok things I can see from looking at the logs, im just looking at the spirit kings kill as garajal is often messed up due to spirit world.
    As vel said, the uptime on earth shield is very low. Only 13.6% over a fight. This should be atleast 90%. Its basically free healing + increases healing on the tank by 20%.
    Riptide should also be used vertually on cooldown, usually trying to keep it on 3 targets (unglyphed) however since totemichero glyphed it, im not very farmiliar with the riptide glyph playstyle, but it should probably used on most the raid during damage phases.
    Didnt use healing stream totem once in 7.45, in fact I dont think he used it once during the night. Healing stream totem is 1 of the strongest abilities we have, and a smart heal. It was always in the top 3 of my healing spells and with the tot 2set it will just get stronger so it should be started to be used on cooldown, every cooldown. Only exception is if you have healing tide or mana tide down currently.
    Didnt use healing tide or ascendance. These cooldowns are what makes a resto shaman competitive, which brings me to the next point, learn the fight. If you know theres not going to be much damage till the last phase in 7mins then use your cooldowns as early as possible, say in the first minute, then use it again 3 minutes later and it will still be back when you actually need it and thus you trippled the output of your strongest spells.
    Overuse of chain heal. This isnt wotlk, chain heal doesnt do enough healing to compensate for its high mana cost or high cast time, only every use it off a riptide target for a 25% boost and in an aoe healing situation. If you want to aoe heal or just do get healing all over the place, use healing rain instead. This is a hpm increase as long as 2 or more people stand in it for the whole duration I think but I find it a good hps increase spell even if people move out of it fairly quickly. You are also able to cast other healing spells whilst its still healing. However there are a couple of issues keeping it down. First its high mana cost so you will need to watch your mana more and it tends to snipe heals more than saves people, except in aoe healing situations. When you use healing rain, you should always use it after an unleash life, this is because then its effectness is increased by 30% thus greatly increasing the hpm
    Hes also using primal elementalist but not using either of their empowerments or fire elemental to deal damage. The primal fire elemental can do about 2m damage for me when I use it which is quite a bit, and if you empower them you can get 10% increase healing done whilst your elemental lasts.
    heres the macro I use to easily empower my elementals, you will need to click it twice, once to summon it and again to empower it. If you want to stop the empowerment so your elementals can attack again, you need to click it a third time which is why i use /cancelaura

#showtooltip Fire Elemental Totem
    /cancelaura empower
    /cast Fire Elemental Totem
    /cast Empower

and the earth elemental

#showtooltip Earth Elemental Totem
    /cancelaura reinforce
    /cast Earth Elemental Totem
    /cast Reinforce

Stormlash totem is also not being used. Its basically a raid cooldown with a 5min cooldown which deals extra damage when any player deals damage to the boss. Its about another 2m damage for 1 global cooldown. I know this isnt anything to do with healing but every little helps. if a boss dies faster, you will need less healing anyway.
    Anyway how I generally heal is -> keep healing stream totem down -> riptide on cooldown -> if multiple people stand in a healing rain for the entire duration then healing rain -> healing wave (ghw)
    Also remember this place has had a 10% nerf and it never really was healing intensive out of all tier 14. Hes also healing with a disc and a holy pally which work with absorbs which is definitely a resto shamans worst weakness due to how thei mastery works. First absorbs work to reduce the damage taken so their healing always comes in first, but second a resto shamans healing increases significatly when they are healing people with low hp. Healing with a disc and holy pally, thats not going to happen much, so whilst im sure this shaman can improve his healing, you cant expect him to suddenly be outhealing either of you
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2013-04-24 at 11:30 AM.

for a start resto shammys are the lowest healing class in game aside from CD healing so he will bust heal a lot but not a lot more he jsut need to keep healing rain down as much as he can when stacked and chain heal when he can get it to bounce with being 10 man the chain heal glyph can help with being more spread and every thing more spirit and getting the haste break point might be gd as well. not to sure with 10 man tho as i raid 25 man my self.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7819&e=8224 a log from my self resto oveuslly link it to him and egt him to look at the spell usige over the fight
    Last edited by jp165; 2013-04-24 at 11:18 AM.

He isn't using Healing Rain enough. Even on 10 man, you should be able to find a way to work HR in and be used on near CD on ToT fights. The only fight that I can see ignoring it is maybe Dark Animus. HR on 3+ targets is more efficient than anything else you can cast, so as long as you can keep it on a tank and 2 melee, you should do so (if someone doesn't immediately need a single target heal). Doing that alone would be probably a 20%+ throughput boost. He isn't using his on use shield trinket at all. I see him getting the shield buffs, but he did not use the thing even once on any boss fight on that WoL. Just have him set it in a macro to use it on CD with another spell.

He is using GHW way too much and CH way too much. GHW use is fine if it is needed for single target. However, 46% overheal on GHW means he isn't using it effectively or at the right times and is wasting too much mana. CH should only be used as a filler if (1) HST, HR and RT are on CD (2) You need AoE healing (3) it is going to hit at least 3 targets. I suspect that is rarely the case in 10 mans.

He didn't drop HST totem once ever that entire raid. That is absolutely terrible, and is cutting 10-15% of his output off the bat. It needs to be dropped on CD unless it would overwrite HTT or MTT. 60% Riptide and 65% Tidal Waves uptimes on boss fights is terrible. I can see low TW uptime if he is constantly burning them by spamming single target heals, but it appears the issue is that he just isn't using Riptide enough. Riptide uptime needs to be ~100% with the ability to roll it on 3 targets. Earth Shield uptime is 9% on boss fights. I can see not immediately refreshing ES if it falls off if you are not immediately healing that tank. However, 8% uptime and 30 TOTAL ES heals for an entire night of raiding is abysmal. To give you an idea, I logged a Pt 3 LFR run to test some things, and I had 202 Earth Shield heals in an hour.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    My guild is a 10man guild, not a very progressive guild, but not the worst either. Having said that, I noticed that on a lot of the fights that we die due to lack of healing the Resto Shaman healer has done quite a bit less healing than myself, a Holy Pally, and our other healer a Disc Priest. So I decided to start logging our raids, starting today. So here is our WoL report. It starts at Gara'Jal, and goes over the next 1:45. Would of had the first two bosses, but I forgot to do /combatlog

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-y7t4qh34cz6hkhq4/

Any advice you can give me to give him would be wonderful.
    Thanks!

EDIT: Here is his armory profile: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...chero/advanced
    ok i had a quick look over the logs and armory and i think he has changed his stats and stuff cos they r looking okish(idk why he has that haste tho i think he has got the 2nd haste cap however i dnt think he realises u needed ancestral swiftness 2 actually get it) on another note his healing will be low cos he has no idea what spell to use or how to use his cds i mean i checked logs for all boss encounters and healing by spell and tide did 2mil i mean i can get tht with 1 use lol, hst unused lol tbh u need 2 make him look up his class or find a new shami(which wud be my advice)

Quote Originally Posted by ginge2809 View Post
    ok i had a quick look over the logs and armory and i think he has changed his stats and stuff cos they r looking okish(idk why he has that haste tho i think he has got the 2nd haste cap however i dnt think he realises u needed ancestral swiftness 2 actually get it) on another note his healing will be low cos he has no idea what spell to use or how to use his cds i mean i checked logs for all boss encounters and healing by spell and tide did 2mil i mean i can get tht with 1 use lol, hst unused lol tbh u need 2 make him look up his class or find a new shami(which wud be my advice)

His haste is fine, maybe a bit high but unless ur a min maxer, you probably wont pay hundreds of gold changing reforging everytime you get a new bit of gear. Anyway my prefered haste cap around that gear level with EM was 3039 for an extra tick in earthliving weapon, and hes at 3298. So as I said, a bit high but perfectly reasonable.
    However, he has been heavily reforging into haste so it might be more beneficial to grab a bit more spirit, crit or mastery and sticking with the 2017 haste breakpoint which is an extra tick into healing rain
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2013-04-25 at 02:39 PM.

I wouldn't even worry about reforging/stat priority. At this point, his numbers are going to be terrible until he fixes his spell selection, starts using HST, Riptide, Healing Rain and Earth Shield and stops overusing GHW and Chain Heal. Worry about that first, because it is tanking him like 10 times more than any gearing decision.