Poll: Would you be willing to lose a zone in another expansion to reflect the changes said?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Gilneas Retaken-Yes or No?

If we could add some sort of high level quest line in Gilneas (conflict between the Forsaken and Gilneans), and then add Gilneas City as a small city for Gilneans in the end and retake Gilneas as a whole with phasing (Horde would get an expansion of Bilgwater Habor) would you be willing to lose a zone in the next expansion? To show how the old world is changing and give the Alliance a satisfactory win and the Horde an expansion of their greatest harbor would you be willing to take away a new zone in another expansion?

I think the Gilneans should have had Gilneas from the start. Or, at least during most of Cataclysm (retaken halfway through, or something).

The fact that their starter quests begin in this great, gothic setting... and then they're shuffled off to elfy olde Darnassus... what? It felt like a real kick in the teeth. Then I thought, "OK, I can go with this, as long as we get another try at taking the city back... sure..." Only, that moment never came. It was very disappointing.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombringer View Post
    I think the Gilneans should have had Gilneas from the start. Or, at least during most of Cataclysm (retaken halfway through, or something).

The fact that their starter quests begin in this great, gothic setting... and then they're shuffled off to elfy olde Darnassus... what? It felt like a real kick in the teeth. Then I thought, "OK, I can go with this, as long as we get another try at taking the city back... sure..." Only, that moment never came. It was very disappointing.
    I agree with you 100%. But now that its too late to do it in cata, and the Alliance should be able to do it after their victory in org. I feel it should be done not only for the Alliances benefit but also to show even though there is a thin layer of peace the war will continue.

Did not vote,

But as a hordie I would not mind The dogs getting their home back. You could do a questline much like you had for the trolls re-taking their island. Get a player army marching in that takes on some npcs and wins back the city.

But I understand that we'd lose a new zone so its kind of hard to think which I would prefer.

Deleted
    Wait , I have leveled 2 worgen characters so far , and to me it felt like we completely lost the entire area(after all we fled to darnassus).

After all , having an alliance base so close to undercity would be insane. The Forsaken are at their peak of their strength , there's no way they would loose a war in their grounds.

We should retake it, or atleast have it as a questing zone. Gilneas , in my opinion, is easily the most beautiful, interesting and diverse zone in the entire game.

Yeah, this is the problem. Gilneas is actually Alliance controlled, but because the retaking of it happened in the Forsaken (i.e. Horde) quests, few Alliance players actually realise this ...

http://www.wowpedia.org/Gilneas

Basically, Genn goes to Stormwind for help, Varian sends the 7th Fleet which helps retake Gilneas for the Alliance. They nearly were taking Silverpine as well, but some dastardly schemes prevented it.

So, the more things change, the more they actually didn't. Gilneas is still Alliance territory.

Since the zone itself is empty and the low level version is phased, it seems like we could have the best of both worlds and make it a 90-95 zone in the next expansion? Or perhaps more appropriately (assuming the next expansion zones are grouped like MoP and not spread out like Cata), make it a patch quest hub in 6.x along the lines of Isle of Thunder or the Firelands daily "zone".

Deleted
    Give the dogs their kennel back.

As a Horde player I don't get why anyone would want to live there anyway, Tirisfal is cheery by comparison.

Deleted
    I don't even play my Alliance toons that much and I would love to see Gilneas become a faction hub. It's such a gorgeous and atmospheric zone, with amazing architecture and landscapes, that it's just criminal that it is not being made use of as a player hub. It's tragic to see when I occasionally fly in there while passing through Silverpine and it's just a ghost-town, a ghost-state even!!

Plus, if it was made an Alliance hub, being so close to the Undercity, it'd make a great quick-access point for Alliance players to get into the northern Eastern Kingdoms zones and encourage some world PvP.

To lose a new zone? lets not open that can of worms i mean how long till horde would want WPL now being horde dominated with some Argent Crusade holdings changed. Yes Andorhal phases near the end tho all it phases is the removal of the alliance npcs. By now you would figure WPL would reflect it being really now firmly in the hands of the Forsaken. I would be for it if it didn't detract from a new zone but blizz has stated it would and IMO Cata's zones besides Hyjal really were lack luster to me with all the worked put into the old world revamp. Now this wouldn't be on the same scale but blizzard is pretty much saying it would have to give up a entire new zone to give this the time and effort it needed without half assing it.

Tho the worgen do need better house arrangements and i have supported the destroyed park in storm wind being rebuilt into a area that reflects the look of Gilneas. But to give them a entire capital city on part with the others would also be kinda unfair without giveing the horde a new one. And don't say the goblins have one it is not even close to having the functionality of a captial city. Its just a large island with crappy buildings imo.
    Last edited by Rumred; 2013-04-26 at 12:20 PM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MBar View Post
    Yeah, this is the problem. Gilneas is actually Alliance controlled, but because the retaking of it happened in the Forsaken (i.e. Horde) quests, few Alliance players actually realise this ...

http://www.wowpedia.org/Gilneas

Basically, Genn goes to Stormwind for help, Varian sends the 7th Fleet which helps retake Gilneas for the Alliance. They nearly were taking Silverpine as well, but some dastardly schemes prevented it.

So, the more things change, the more they actually didn't. Gilneas is still Alliance territory.
    I do know that Gilbeas is Alliance controlled but a big battle and then reflecting an Alliance victory in game abd show Gilbeas reclaiming their home would be amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I don't really see how it could be reimplemented. We really don't need another 1-60 range leveling zone for either faction. Daily quest hub sends shivers down my spine - no thanks. I guess it could work as wintergrasp style outdoor pvp area, but then i doubt blizzard would want to place it so close to low level horde leveling zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I don't really see how it could be reimplemented. We really don't need another 1-60 range leveling zone for either faction. Daily quest hub sends shivers down my spine - no thanks. I guess it could work as wintergrasp style outdoor pvp area, but then i doubt blizzard would want to place it so close to low level horde leveling zones.
    It's called phased out questing. The city itself is actually dead, there is nothing in it. It would seem pretty easy to implement a quest line in it and when you finished its phased out as a major city for whoever completes it. Requirement can be the silverpine forest quest completion (all of them) before you can start it.

I think while the ideal of taking back Gilneas sounds great to the Worgan but I think in reality if they could see whats become of it they would probably regret getting it back as the forsaken are not known for their 'interior decorating' skills.

Retaking of Gilneas would be an epic experience when it comes to the lore and the war between the horde and alliance. Not only that, but worgens would finally have their own land and we would actually see more action from Greymane. It also means the Alliance would have a major city in Lordaeron, what could be a good thing in terms of world pvp.

A new zone, on the other hand, is a place that you stay for 1 day doing a bunch of quests in order to level up. Yeah, I would easily give up on that.

i was very disappointed that Gilneas became such an empty zone in the end. they certainly need to get it back for Alliance, it's a great place to RP and it's really a shame what developers did to that place. I think that Gilneas should be retaken both for story improvement for wogen, and for players who ant to have awesome place to stay in.
    I miss Mists of Pandaria

Stood in the Fire UnstoppableErasor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    TBH I like Gilnaes more than Stormwind. If they updated all the cities with everything SW and Ogri had to offer, I wouldn't be hanging in those 2 cities so often
    "Earth can be shaped molded... you cannot you are useless" - Ascendant Lord Obsidius

10+ Year Old Account
    First we take back Gnomeregan which has been lost for 9 years. Once we have THAT back, we need to retake Undercity and push the Undead into Gilneas as a usable city

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    First we take back Gnomeregan which has been lost for 9 years. Once we have THAT back, we need to retake Undercity and push the Undead into Gilneas as a usable city
    It's not our fault you keep chasing a robot replica around like idiots...

This is what? the 3rd 4th time you killed one of his replica. You think he is stupid enough to fight you himself?

After 9 years you would think....

No wonder alliance doesn't have gilneas.