Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    If it saves the owners a cent, they would do anything to the workers.
    And you really believe this is the case more often than not? Why, then, is almost everyone on the Forbes' list of top companies to work for non-union?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Typhoon-AN View Post
    I can only see one post from Rich (the one you quote) stating he didn't like twinkies. You drawing conclusions where you think he deems himself "too fucking awesome" speaks more of your pyscological state than his...

On another note, I didn't have a clue who Hostess was until I read twinkie maker either!
    He doesn't realise that twinkies are not sold here, instead he makes false accusations and makes assumptions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    He doesn't realise that twinkies are not sold here, instead he makes false accusations and makes assumptions.
    They opened a few "American Candy Stores" up here in Scotland; seen two in Aberdeen and one in Dundee. I don't know why they thought that would be a clever idea, I don't know a single person here who even likes American sweets. I guess it must have been an "Aimed at the expats" thing, but there aren't even enough Americans, even in Aberdeen, to justify opening, not one, but two stores. All the stores are pretty much permanently empty and one of the Aberdeen ones closed down within a month.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Good. No reason for a business to harm itself by inviting unionization upon itself.

As for the workers being "exploited", if you don't like what the offer you, quit. Liberty works two ways.
    And when all companies adopt the same policy, workers can express their liberty by boycotting food and shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Blandar View Post
    Completely understandable, I remember when Hostess were going busy and the union workers kept going on strike, bit of a stupid move to strike against the company they work for when its going bust, I see why they're doing it
    Actually that is misinformation. The Union for Hostess made concessions and all, it was pure bad management. What made the Union go on strike was when they made concessions and took cuts to help the company out only to have the executives vote themselves a 300% pay raise that they dug in their feet and said fuck you, no more. At least that is what I have heard about it.

Tell me, if I was your boss and I personally was fucking up while you did your job, then asked you to take cuts so we could stay afloat only to more than double my pay as soon as you did, would you keep working for me? I will tell you, if you answer me with a "yes", all I can say is enjoy being a doormat and selling out your own and your children's future for my profit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    They opened a few "American Candy Stores" up here in Scotland; seen two in Aberdeen and one in Dundee. I don't know why they thought that would be a clever idea, I don't know a single person here who even likes American sweets. I guess it must have been an "Aimed at the expats" thing, but there aren't even enough Americans, even in Aberdeen, to justify opening, not one, but two stores. All the stores are pretty much permanently empty and one of the Aberdeen ones closed down within a month.
    I'd say that it's just a roundabout way to get US support in the case of Scottish independence.

Clinton: "Mr. President, the United Kingdom has always been our staunchest ally."
    Biden: "But Scotland is now selling Twinkies, too!"
    Obama: "Well, that settles it. Scotland, welcome to the free world!"

Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    And when all companies adopt the same policy, workers can express their liberty by boycotting food and shelter.
    Only 7% of the workers in the US are union. It stands to reason, then, that the vast majority of non-union workers do just fine for themselves.

Deleted
    I'd say that it's just a roundabout way to get US support in the case of Scottish independence.

Clinton: "Mr. President, the United Kingdom has always been our staunchest ally."
    Biden: "But Scotland is now selling Twinkies, too!"
    Obama: "Well, that settles it. Scotland, welcome to the free world!"
    I did joke to my friend that'll we'll eventually have a monopoly on the international Twinkie market due to the rate the things are going (I.E. not selling).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Good. No reason for a business to harm itself by inviting unionization upon itself.

As for the workers being "exploited", if you don't like what the offer you, quit. Liberty works two ways.
    Then management can start out by recognizing that their workers are human beings and not exploit them.

Asking workers to "quit" in this economy is stupid. Try finding a new job.

---------- Post added 2013-04-26 at 10:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Only 7% of the workers in the US are union. It stands to reason, then, that the vast majority of non-union workers do just fine for themselves.
    Only because now HR practices have been improved because its an alternative to being forced to unionize by the workers.

But I sure as hell don't want to go back to the Industrial Age era.
    Putin khuliyo

Good for the new hostess owner. I've been missing my wonder bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Only because now HR practices have been improved because its an alternative to being forced to unionize by the workers.

But I sure as hell don't want to go back to the Industrial Age era.
    Really? So the fact that union membership has been on the decline for... what... 5 decades now? That's a problem? Or does it represent employers treating their employees better in general?

Personally, I see this as one of the things that makes sure I never buy from them.

Sorry, but I have seen good unions and bad unions, but the worst things I have seen is what happens with no union. And I doubt Hostess will be like Costco where a Union isn't even needed, probably be like Walmart where many of us would kill for a union but the moment a store would unionize the company immediately shuts it down and fires all it's employees and would rather pay any fine levied against it than actually allow a union in the US and be forced to pay its employees a livable wage....

Deleted
    When companies reduce the work load of their workers to 30 hours to be able not to provide health care and when earning the minimum wage full time makes you eligible for welfare, i don't think American workers are doing "just fine for themselves".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Then management can start out by recognizing that their workers are human beings and not exploit them.

Asking workers to "quit" in this economy is stupid. Try finding a new job.
    In which case they are getting above market value for their labor if it isn't worth it to quit and find a new job.

When companies reduce the work load of their workers to 30 hours to be able not to provide health care and when earning the minimum wage full time makes you eligible for welfare, i don't think American workers are doing "just fine for themselves".
    Thank you federal government for screwing them over.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Really? So the fact that union membership has been on the decline for... what... 5 decades now? That's a problem? Or does it represent employers treating their employees better in general?
    I suspect Anti-Union propaganda plays it's role pretty well. The same way Cold War propaganda did so spectacularly at influencing American politics into what they are today.

i hope someone bought up the 'beefsteak' rye bread label. that was some good shit.
    unions had their time and place, and they were important. now it's just another corrupt aspect of american business. a move in the right direction!

So you're saying most American workers are on welfare?

Can you name a single company that does this besides Walmart or Papa Johns?

And you really believe this is the case more often than not? Why, then, is almost everyone on the Forbes' list of top companies to work for non-union?
    Hostess isn't a Forbes top company.

While I disagree that all non-top companies take these actions (not every place is as despicable as Wal-Mart), I do think that if it wasn't for the internet companies would go down that path pretty quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said it was a problem. But that's one of the reasons union membership has been declining for 50 years. HR practices continuously improved because management didn't want to unionize and acting like decent people was a good way to avoid the workers from unionizing. As you put it, "employers treating their employees better" is a very effective way to avoid unionizing.

I'm not a fan of unions, I see them as a necessary evil when needed and a corrupted mess when not needed.

It's a good thing, I'd rather not deal with unions.

But I'd rather have unions than go back to Industry Age era standards.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Does the US not have laws allowing people to join any union
    There are actually states in which you are FORCED to join a union or otherwise you won't get hired. Personally, I would never join any of those bully groups.