Poll: Is a 4th Spec Possible?

Thread: 4th Spec Ideas

Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

4th Spec Ideas

Seeing as how Blizzard is toying with the idea of Tri-Spec (hence the data mining), I don't think it's so far fetched to think that we might be getting a 4 spec for every class in the new expansion. I tell you what, it would be a hell of a lot more interesting than just getting 1 or two new abilities when we level up to new cap. Here are some ideas for each class for a 4th spec. I need a little help though it's kinda hard coming for seeing as how I'm not a Lore enthusiast.

Death Knight - Healer - (Really cool concept blog linked) http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ay-a-DK-Healer
    Druid - ?
    Hunter - Shadow/Demon Spec
    Mage - Battlemage
    Monk - ?
    Paladin - ?
    Priest - ?
    Rogue - Field Medic Healer
    Shaman - Enhacement Tank
    Warlock - Demon Form Tank
    Warrior - ?

10+ Year Old Account

Death Knight - Runemaster, Necromancer, or Lich
    Druid - Guardian
    Hunter - Dark Ranger or Ranger Healing spec
    Mage - Chronomancer (healing spec) or Blood Mage
    Monk - Red Crane Monk
    Paladin - Shockadin or Sword and Shield DPS
    Priest - Inquisitor or Psion
    Rogue - Sniper or Stalker
    Shaman - Enhacement Tank
    Warlock - Demon Form Tank
    Warrior - Blademaster or Dragon Knight

Deleted
    Death Knight - Necromancer ( caster in int plate, with lots of skeletons, abominations, ...)
    Druid - already 4 specs
    Hunter - Sanguinary ranger : bleedings/dots based specs, with no pet ( sacrifice ), ambidextery ( 2 pistols/crossbow)
    Mage - battle mage ( melee magic dps with ambidextery caster weapon ) /OR/ chronomancer ( "dps to heal " healer spec ) ( IF battlemage is supposed to be brand new class in the new future)
    Monk - Red crane monk ( melee magic dps using fire and lightnings, drawing symbols to summon the 4 pandaria spirits as temporary pets ( yulon, chiji, niuzao, xuen )
    Paladin - Shockadin
    Priest - Inquisitor ( holynuker caster spec)
    Rogue - Stalker/Scoundrel : ranged ambidextery ( 2 crossbow/pistols) specs, with poisons dots, combos finishers....
    Shaman - Chieftain ( tank with a spell to visually change your 2H agi weapon in big fucking totem !, using agi stuff, earth and ice spells)
    Warlock - Tanklock spec, with a specific demon form of course
    Warrior - Commando ( heavy ranged spec, with grenades, mines, bombs, nets, ... )

Do we really need another thread on this?

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think a 4th spec is desireable in many ways. Balance considerations would likely be a major consideration. And while that will largely occur for all specs before the next XPac, its still something to consider.

Another option may be to go the way of the Druid and Monk. Treat each class more as a armor/resource system...but then build specs as roles. With the new talent system, there isn't any need to maintain three trees per class anymore and you could reduce some specs and expand others.

So, doing that we could get:

Death Knight - DPS (Frost/Unholy); Tank
    Druid - DPS; Tank; Heal; Ranged Spell DPS
    Hunter - Ranged Physical DPS (MM); Melee DPS (D3 Style Demon Hunter); Magic ranged DPS (Spellbow); Pet based DPS (Beast master); Melee DPS (Gunslinger)
    Mage - Elementalist DPS; Arcane Healing
    Monk - Melee DPS (Tiger); Tank (Ox); Healing (Serpent); Ranged Spell DPS (Crane)
    Paladin - Melee (Tank/DPS); Heal; Ranged Spell DPS (Shockadin/BattleMage)
    Priest - Spellcaster (Holy/Disc/Shadow); melee (monk type mele dps)
    Rogue - Melee DPS; Physical Ranged DPS (Ranger)
    Shaman - Fire (Melee DPS); Water (Healing): Earth (Tank); Air (Ranged Spell DPS)
    Warlock - Ranged Spell DPS; Tank (Demon Hunter)
    Warrior - DPS( Arms/Fury); Tank.

Some classes lose specs, others gain. And, just to show what can be done, I've suggested some radical merges (e.g.priest) along with some not so rqadical one. What each class gets is beatable of course.

EJL

I kinda just ended up making a wishlist, so, uh. Enjoy.

DK; Necromancy: Ranged Spellpower DPS (NO MORE MONOPOLY ON SPELLPLATE HOLY PALLIES HAHAHA)
    Druid; hahaha they already have four suck it druids
    Hunter; Warden(no relation to the hero class): dual-wielding melee DPS
    Mage; Spellblade: Melee main-hand DPS
    Monk; Luchadore: WRASSLIN SPEC (okay i dunno what to do with monks)
    Paladin; Avenger: Melee dual-wield DPS
    Priest; Absolution: Ranged Holy DPS
    Rogue; Sniper: Crossbow DPS
    Shaman; Guardian: 2H tank. Why carry a shield? you have LIGHTNING SHIELDS
    Warlock; Blood: Melee dual-dagger DPS
    Warrior; Marksmanship: Bow DPS
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monks are actually fairly easy. The Red Crane celestial is the fourth celestial, and it isn't used by any Monk spec. Considering the Monk specs that are currently available, Red Crane spec should be caster ranged DPS, and could be an opposite of the Jade Serpent (Mistweaver) spec.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Do we really need another thread on this?
    Yes. Yes we do.

Death Knight - Necrolyte: These masters of death use dark powers to fend it off from their allies.

Druid - Flame: The watchers in the Firelands have learned to harness the pure, cleansing power of fire to create a new type of ranged DPS.

Hunter - Naturalist: The frontiersman/survivalist uses his knowledge of herbs, slaves, and natural magic to heal his allies.

Mage - Physica: a highly trained healer using knowledge of anatomy and the arcane to heal his allies.

Monk - Sky Dancer: Ranged-weapon spec using a new Stance of the Flying Crane

Paladin - Inquisitor: Caster DPS, finally giving the Shockadin that has so long been desired.

Priest - Sentinel: Ranged DPS using a bow + holy and arcane, based on Tyrande in Well of Eternity.

Rogue - Swashbuckler: A parry-happy tank who uses speed and subterfuge to stand up to the most terrible of opponents.

Shaman - Earthbreaker: Dual-wield tank using the powers of stone and ice to harden himself against damage. Modeled on Wrath-era DK Frost tanking.

Warlock - Apotheosis: A dark tanking spec that grounds damage directly into the Twisting Nether.

Warrior - Beast Mastery: Melee+pet DPS. Battling on the frontiers of more than one world, some warriors have learned to train beasts to be as effective a weapon as their swords. (Probably limited to a few pet types, the intelligent predators: wolves, dogs, birds-of-prey, perhaps cats and raptors).

If Blizz only wants to add a few 4th specs in an expansion, I'd say do one for each role. Off my list, I'd want the paladin, warlock, and DK first. Paladin casters have been wished for for years, and lock tanking was a smash hit during the MoP beta. DKs could make the most interesting new healer, and would also tap the most underused gear in game: Int plate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtree

Druid - Flame: The watchers in the Firelands have learned to harness the pure, cleansing power of fire to create a new type of ranged DPS.
    Badass!

I'd take my Druid out of storage in a heart beat for that.

Teriz, what's your idea for the Dragon Knight spec for warriors? It sounds really cool! :P

I'd like to start off by saying I'm not sure that the game needs forth specs, when blizz has trouble keeping 3 spec classes balanced. But for fun, here's my thoughts.

Priest: ? Not sure what I'd do here honestly.

Mage: Time based healing spec, where you're not 'healing' wounds but 'undoing' them lore wise. Battlemage doesn't work for me. Don't get me wrong I LOVE battelmages/spell swords. But I think it would just feel too different the established mage class. Especially being a melee cloth spec.

Warlock: Demon form tanking spec maybe. Could also see a dps healing sort of spec where you drain life from enemies and use it to heal allies, though justifying it lore wise as a regular healer might be impossible. No demon hunter spec, like battlemage wouldn't feel like a warlock spec, but another class welded onto the warlock.

Rogue: Swashbuckling tank spec.

Druid: N/A

Monk: Range based crane spec, specializing in various chi based ranged attacks.

Shaman: I could see a tank spec here, similar to enhancement but using the elements for defensive purposes rather than offense.

Hunter: No idea. Having trouble envisioning a hunter tank or healer unless maybe the tanking was pet centered.

Warrior: No idea here. Can't imagine a ranged or healing warrior.

DK: Same as warrior. Maybe a blood based healing spec, but they already have a blood tanking spec.

Paladin: Not sure either. Honestly as it is I'd like to see holy paladins given the fistweaver treatment to encourage them to be in the thick of things. A ranged paladin doesn't feel right to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't really have many ideas for all of the classes, but:

Death Knight: Necromancer. Give someone else the Int Plate.
    Warrior: Spartan. Shield and 1h/2h/polearm dps.
    Rogue: Duelist. Tank spec heavily themed around sword fighting/dueling. I recall Rogues have been described somewhat by Blizzard as buccaneers.
    Last edited by Auxis; 2013-04-27 at 04:03 PM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
    Teriz, what's your idea for the Dragon Knight spec for warriors? It sounds really cool! :P
    LoL! I have no clue. Maybe a warrior that imbues his weapons based on the Dragon Flights? Or maybe a Knight that specializes in spears/polearms that summons Dragons to his service? I just thought it would be cool having a Knight that copies the abilities of Dragons. Like the Dragoon class from Final Fantasy.

Deleted
    Death Knight - That healer spec in the OP
    Druid - Druid of the...wait a sec, you bastards allready have 4 specs!
    Hunter - Scout [Stealth hunter]
    Mage - Battlemage
    Monk - Ninja stealth monk.
    Paladin - Zealot [Fast dual wield plate DPS]
    Priest - Exorcism [Holy DPS spec]
    Rogue - Acrobatics [Ranged rogue with lots of shuriken and knife-throwing and kiting, less melee]
    Shaman - An earth based shaman that takes on a stone-form to tank.
    Warlock - Make demonology entirely based upon summoning demons. Create a spec that has YOU turn into demon, losing your pet, and tanking with it.
    Warrior - Strategist. More of a support class with DPS capabilities
    Last edited by mmocd3750dc86d; 2013-04-27 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    LoL! I have no clue. Maybe a warrior that imbues his weapons based on the Dragon Flights? Or maybe a Knight that specializes in spears/polearms that summons Dragons to his service? I just thought it would be cool having a Knight that copies the abilities of Dragons. Like the Dragoon class from Final Fantasy.
    xD I remembered Aegon the Dragonknight from Game of Thrones.

I sure would play as a warrior with the mighty draconic powers.

Deleted
    Death Knight - Spell DPS (Lich/Necromancer)
    Hunter - Turn Survival to healer, add melee spec (Ambusher)
    Mage - Healer (Blood mage)
    Monk - Melee DPS (Shado-pan/Ninja)
    Paladin - DW melee DPS (Inquisitor/Zealot)
    Priest - Nature-based spell DPS or Melee (smth Old gods-themed, like Acolyte of N'zoth, with spikes and tentacles)
    Rogue - DW ranged with crossbows/firearms (Scoundrel)
    Shaman - Definitely tank (Earthspeaker/Chieftain)
    Warlock - Tank (w/ exclusive Demon form ofc).
    Warrior - Support with gadgets: buffs, CC, AOE DPS (Tactician/Grenadier/Artillerist sounds fine).

The classes that'd get the most use out of a 4th spec would be the "Pure DPS" ones: Hunters, Mages, Rogues, and Warlocks. Hybridizing every class would be more acceptable now because (a) the changes made to how specializations work make balancing one spec against another a lot less of a headache, (b) it would allow more people to play different roles as they want or feel are needed, and (c) the upcoming change to allow off-spec roles in LFR would make it easier for people who play those classes to get into raids for the loot they really want.

It's not that every class couldn't use a 4th spec, but its hard to figure out what kind of spec would be appropriate for certain classes given the constraints on lore and class iconography. More importantly, because of the balancing issues that inevitably pop up whenever something like this is added to the game, I don't think it particularly wise to add specs just for the sake of adding them.

Having said that, some ideas for the four Pure DPS Classes...

Hunters:
    Ranging; tanks based out of the Rangers of Silvermoon and the Night Elf Sentinels for lore purposes. Tanks because it fits better, and the status of hunters as a ranged/pet class might make tanking an interesting deviation from the tanking norm in terms of positioning and active mitigation. I.E. the NPC might attack the pet, but the pet and the player share a health pool, the Hunter could take on an spec-specific Aspect (Aspect of the Bear, or some such) that redirects all his/her threat to the pet, and shots/traps are used for active mitigation.

Mages:
    Chronomancy; using time-based magic to heal and buff allies. Opens up some interesting possibilities for more "Time Warp" style spells, and mana is already the standard resource system for healers. Could stick with spirit cloth or even open up Int Mail. Lore wise could be somewhat Technomage-y, with primary influence from the Gnomes and Goblins.

OR

Abjuration; a tanking spec that uses magical shields to protect the caster and it could be a Battlemage-style spec that allows for actual use of weapons, the player to wear Int Plate, and have its own unique resource system. There is ample presence of Battlemages in WoW Lore to support it, and could follow out from the Silver Covenant and Sunreavers now that they're solidly Alliance and Horde, respectively.

Rogues: Swashbuckling; a piratey-themed tanking spec, perhaps that removes the Rogue's ability to enter stealth and dual-wield, but increases their parry and dodge chance dramatically to compensate, and uses debuffs or some kind of special CC as active mitigation. Something like the old Combat talent Riposte. The existing energy and combo point system wouldn't need to be changed all that much. As for lore, WoW has pirates, and pirates are awesome.

Warlock: Apotheosis; just take the Glyph of Demon Hunting and turn it into a full-fledged tanking spec. Blizzard has flirted with the idea of Warlock tanks long enough... just do it or stop with the half-measures and "temporary tanks" nonsense.

As for the other classes, there's room for 4th specs (except for Druids, who have one and are really just the model for implementation) for most of them. But they should (a) broaden the scope of the class, which is difficult because the existing 34 specs cover so much ground, and (b) be useful. A Ranged DPS Paladin Spec or a Tanking Shaman spec might make sense, both within the character of the class and the lore, but Warriors are a challenge. Another melee DPS spec or tanking spec? Healing and ranged DPS doesn't really make sense for them.

I only really have one spec I can think of, which has not allready been mentioned: A ranged dps spec for warriors. Yes, you read that right.
    I don't mean some gunslinging spec, no, I want a warrior spec that is all about throwing you weapons in the face of your enemies.
    How I think it could work:

-The warrior would dualwield one-handed weapons.
    -The warrior would get a special "resource". Each weapon would give one charge, thus meaning a maximum of two charges. When any attack is used, which require a weapon, a charge is consumed. The idea is that the weapons are used similar to boomerangs, and therefore the charges should recarge rather quick, like every second.
    -When the warrior don't have any weapons, he/she cant use most of his/hers abilities. This means you, as the player, would have to chose between using quick attacks with one weapon at the time, using more powerfull attacks with both and be disarmed for a second, or using your charges for something like a stun.
    -Since the damage of the attacks is determined by how powerfull the throws are, the warrior would still be using strength gear.

Thats how I think it could work. Now, call the spec Bladeslinger, create a dwarf warrior called Thor, give him the titel " The Stormbreaker" and get him a mighty thundering hammer and your good to go!
    Last edited by Archpriest; 2013-04-28 at 01:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    Rogue - Acrobatics [Ranged rogue with lots of shuriken and knife-throwing and kiting, less melee]
    Reminds me of the Ninja class from FFT. Basically they threw stuff at targets, including magic balls and stuff like that.

Considering how awesome Shruiken Toss is for Rogues, I'd definitely like to see a Ninja spec for Rogues.

Really nice ideas in here.