Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only time it will happen is when WoW's servers shut down. If you like the game, or don't like the game, that's how it's going to be. Elder scrolls won't kill it, Titan won't kill it, <insert random new mmo heree> won't kill it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agnow View Post
    Many MMO's i consider better than WoW.. but WoW has the market and players don't wanna change MMO since they have used so much time on WOW
    Like what?
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Someday there will be a Windows OS that won't support WoW's engine. On that day, the game will die. But not before then... unless Blizzard pulls the plug. But considering EQ is still going and it's older than WoW, I don't think we'll see the end of it anytime soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Like what?
    Rift, Gw2 is some i consider better.. The problems with WoW is just that i find it old and boring after having played it for 5 years..

But blizzard has the MMO market but WoW isn't a bad game.. just not that good as it used to be

I already consider Rift and Guild Wars 2 to be better than current WoW. I guess WoW is still considered ''king'' because it has the highest amount of subscribers. But if WoW was to launch today, I doubt it would be half as succesfull. Most players still cling to WoW because of all the time they spend on the game, and don't feel like giving up on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift, Gw2 is some i consider better
    If they're better, why aren't they more successful?
    MMO player

Yes, it's not an MMORPG, but it's called time and then there's Blizzard.

Because people have bad taste?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Rift, Gw2 is some i consider better.. The problems with WoW is just that i find it old and boring after having played it for 5 years..

But blizzard has the MMO market but WoW isn't a bad game.. just not that good as it used to be
    Rose-tinted nostalgia glasses I presume. The game is much better than what it used to be unless you're wearing those glasses. Also, Rift and GW2 (played both) are in no way, shape, or form better than WoW currently; ofc that's my opinion. Either way a lot of people have played it for 5 years or more, myself included and I still enjoy it more than other MMOs. If that wasn't the case for a lot of people, then WoW would lose way too many subscribers. The fact that WoW lasts so long, let alone still being top for so long just shows what a great game it is.

WoW will kill itself. nothing lasts forever. Sub numbers are falling and i guess that they will continue to fall. Also other MMO's will take players from it. When stuff like Wildstar and ESO comes out i wanna bet that WoW will lose some subs to those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    Rose-tinted nostalgia glasses I presume. The game is much better than what it used to be unless you're wearing those glasses. Also, Rift and GW2 (played both) are in no way, shape, or form better than WoW currently; ofc that's my opinion. Either way a lot of people have played it for 5 years or more, myself included and I still enjoy it more than other MMOs. If that wasn't the case for a lot of people, then WoW would lose way too many subscribers. The fact that WoW lasts so long, let alone still being top for so long just shows what a great game it is.
    Maybe some people prefered the game back in the day? Maybe some people see LFR and LFD and so on as worse than finding your own group? Maybe some people like communitys on the server? Maybe some people liked world PvP? Maybe some people do not like the idea of flying mounts? Maybe some people liked 25-man raids having better gear than 10-man? Maybe some liked 40-man raids?

Overall i think the game was at its prime in Burning Crusade. This is my opinion, and is no way a fact that the game was best back then, i just think it was. I have a huge list of objective reasons why i found it better, a bunch of those above.
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2013-04-27 at 11:25 PM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    that my friend, if you have the answer, you can make millions (litteraly)

fact is, we like what we know and, unless truly bored, we don't adventure much outside what we know.
    for example, i more often go to the restaurant i know than try new restaurant

another example. when you hire big name actor for a movie like tom cruise, julia roberts, etc... you pay millions for their work, do you believe their are far superior actor than less known one or just you think their name will attract viewer.

Deleted
    I can say why no other MMORPG beats WoW. I have tried pretty much every mmorpg out there. I got stuck on Rift for about 3 months but why is no other mmo fit for me?
    Yes, because I played WoW for 2 years, every day, every weekend for hours and I can't simply learn another mmorpg in 2 weeks. I'd need more time and I don't have that time. Also, I played WoW when I was 15-17 and it was just the right time for that type of game. Not much homework, not much to do on your sparetime, but now I have a lot of everything. I'd love to play WoW again but I don't have the time. When you hit 19 and are about to quit highschool, you just don't have time for games as much as you did when you were 15.
    fps games suits me well because I don't have to play every day to keep my ''gear up'' or stats as you do in a mmorpg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    that my friend, if you have the answer, you can make millions (litteraly)
    My opinion is: to produce another successful MMO, you need a rich editor that will take the risk of not making a clone of WoW. And potentially, to make it into a setting very different from WoW (e.g. sci-fi). SWTOR had that chance but blew it up miserably.
    MMO player

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion is: to produce another successful MMO, you need a rich editor that will take the risk of not making a clone of WoW. And potentially, to make it into a setting very different from WoW (e.g. sci-fi). SWTOR had that chance but blew it up miserably.
    i don't know if they manage to make a profit with swtor, i hope for them. It was an interesting take on the MMO, story driven, voice acted and all, but it does seems it did not have the success they were hopping for.

People usually said swtor was released too early, give it 1 more year of developement, we would have the swtor that exist today, a lot of bug fixed, a lot more QoL feature, a lot more endgame content. And the MMO scene hasn't changed much since last year. tera and secret world weren't world breaking, guild wars 2 was successful but the initial rush calm down (expected since it's a no monthly fee MMO, so less content patch). SWTOR would do better if release right now i feel.

But that is not the only reason. My opinion is swtor was too close to wow as gameplay, did not try to defferenciate enough. It's a fine line. If you are too different, people won't like it, will go back to safe and known of wow. But if you are too close, you will be directly compare to wow, which swtor was, and unless you have better mechanics and content, people will bash the game.

It's also possible that the P2P business model is dying, or more approprietly, there isn't enough space for another MMO with this model while wow is alive. MAybe, i don't tink so. However, i think swtor could have fare also well if they release some kind of well thoughout F2P model. What i think of is buy the game $60, no restriction on gameplay or content, put a cash shop for convenience and cosmetics, develop DLC operation and flashpoint and sell them too.

anyway, the tl;dr of all that is, i believe you wrong, a clone of wow cannot be really succesful because it will be compare to wow. It need to be sufficiently different but not too much to alienate your audience. It's a fine line.

10+ Year Old Account
    But that is not the only reason. My opinion is swtor was too close to wow as gameplay, did not try to defferenciate enough. It's a fine line. If you are too different, people won't like it, will go back to safe and known of wow. But if you are too close, you will be directly compare to wow, which swtor was, and unless you have better mechanics and content, people will bash the game.
    Totally agree on this. Which is why imho the next guy (well, editor) who manages to break the spell has a high chance to cash in. Some kind of EvE space game but with a less steep learning curve maybe?

anyway, the tl;dr of all that is, i believe you wrong, a clone of wow cannot be really succesful because it will be compare to wow.
    That is precisely what I said, I don't get your point here.
    MMO player

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That is precisely what I said, I don't get your point here.
    yup, misread you sorry. we are in agreement.

Deleted
    For me WoW is successful for 1 subtle point. The character movement and controls are flawlessly smooth, I have never found anything that compares to the responsiveness of the controls or mobility than in WoW. You read posts all the time about SWtOR, GW2, Rift etc about being sluggish with bad animations, never anything about WoW.

Just think about it and try it out, what MMO is as smooth as WoW?

You could argue that Guild Wars 2 for example wins over nearly everything bar one aspect.....end game content. Without that it fails at keeping a player-base and that's why WoW currently beats any current competition.

The developer support, frequent content, and expansions are what keeps the player-base in an MMO in my opinion. Something every other MMO fails at miserably. Either there's not enough end game (ie GW2) or not enough developer support (ie SWTOR).

Until that changes, it won't matter how awesome, technically or otherwise MMOs are; WoW will always win out.
    Last edited by Snowmist; 2013-04-28 at 12:47 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azlarn View Post
    What i mean is when the game was released it was all new engine and something you have almost never seen before it was all new and amazing.. now the game is old and not as good (not as new and amazing) as it used to be

lots of other MMO'S are comming out with a lot of new and better features and combat.. while wow still has the old
    Last edited by mmocc06943eaac; 2013-04-28 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmist View Post
    You could argue.
    No, no you couldn't and the reason is simple: SWG didn't have much in the way of end game either, and yet it was still tremendously popular, especially within its niche.

End game isn't necessary to build a successful MMO, but people are too spoiled to see it any other way. There are many things that can amount to a successful MMO, and any of them can accomplish that very task, it is just that WoW shifted many players to believe that a good MMO is static, it needs have the archetype of WoW, or it falls flat.

I shouldn't even have to explain why that is moronic.

Just in case the WoW zealots come slithering in here to spray me with venom and bile, I don't hate WoW. I have my dislikes obviously with certain aspects of WoW, but I don't hate it. What I hate is the welfare crowd who attach themselves as if they were feeder fish upon a shark, receiving their daily sustenance and protection. WoW is absolutely not the alpha and the omega, and there is no "defeating" involved.

Games will come and go, good or bad.

I'd dial back the smug a little if I were you; I can't speak for Rift given recent developments, but GW2 is successful.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2013-04-28 at 01:22 AM.