Poll: Do you think that Death knights are a success ?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Do you think that the Death Knight class is a success ?

Hey

When it came to live, there was many controversies about Death knights being op, but now that they fixed it, do you think that Death knight is a success ?
    I mean, to be simplier, do you think that the Death Knight finally became beneficials to the game (or already was ?) ?
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2013-04-27 at 10:55 PM.

As a class mechanically? sure.

Post lich king though they really dont seem to 'fit'. I mean post pandaria the monks will fit with the likes of priests and mages, death knights hero class origin has given them ties too close to a single big bad whos now dead and thus so is their reason for being anymore. In that way they are kind of like sylvanas. They got their revenge so blizzard doesnt have a reason for them to be anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    overall i'd say no. dont get me wrong, i love playing one, but they always have certain quirks that (at least imo) make them either op or at least not viewable as a hero class.
    mainly blood's ability to solo almost anything (not that big of a deal)
    starting at level 55 (allowed people to give them a bad name from the get go)

probably on the losing side of the argument, and i do enjoy playing my dk from time to time, but i dont think successful is the right word to describe them.
    "Brace yourselves, Trolls are coming."
    Signature By: Mythriz

There seems to be a lot of Death Knights around. I like how they feel, and I like how their DPS/Tanking is doing well. After the talents change in 5.0 I feel all classes are beneficial to the game, and each class has it's own unique feel in "skills animation" but in the end, it's really the small things that separate the different classes.

Blizzard did a good job balancing it. The only reason DK's were OP is because they were the first hero class, and blizzard did not want it to feel like Monks at their current state.

Deleted
    They feel like Knights without a Cause after Lich king, but that is kinda cool IMO.
    They are compelled to keep fighting cause if they dont, they get all hysterical and shit. Blood rage or whatnot.

DK and their lore was the best thing that happened to the game imo. Now 2 expansions later with a new class monks and new race panda imo is nowhere near the same level of awesome that the Lich King brought. Of course I love dark gothic things when it comes to stories lore settings visuals so LK was a very nice xpac for me. I think the panda thing was to bring in the more casual crowd that they have formed this game around over past few years.
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

Well, I think the total idea of "Hero Class" has been completely destroyed. Orginally they were supposed to take a long time to unlock via hitting max level (80 at the time) and going through a long, arduous quest chain (at the time similar to the Warlock Epic Mount chain). Eventually that was watered down to just unlocking once you had a toon at level 55.

So that idea failed. They are balanced with all other classes. They lost quite a few unique abilities they once had.

Are they fun? Yes. Were they added to niches that already existed? Yes. Are they unique enough to identify from a distance? Perhaps (nontier gear =/).

Yes, imo they are the most interesting class. Their time to shine was during the entire WotLK expansion, but afterwards they don't seem to have much purpose sadly.

They were quite overpowered at the beginning, but by now they are well balanced among the other classes. I do kinda miss the old DK's, they were quite more enjoyable to play than the current ones.

Still loving my unholy orc death knight to this day trough

10+ Year Old Account
    Those issues were years ago. Derp Knight and such went out of style when Cata came along and solidified the specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite the vocal minority's opinion, it was quite successful.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a lot more balanced than it use to be. However, anyone who plays a DK knows what areas need some fixing. For example, it'd be nice to incorporate the necrotic strike debuff into your main ability like howling blast or scourge strike. Make it scale with PvP power rather than being OP with pve gear.

Another nice thing that would be fixed is dark simulacrum. Only half the time it actually copies the spell. And if it's an ability a raid boss is casting, at least make it so if the copying ability is too OP, downscale it to a reasonable damage. Vice versa when copying a fireball, it seems to counter with <100 damage as opposed to the 50-100k it did to you. It's a nice ability that could use some more attention to make DKs more fun to play.

There's a lot of potential for DKs, they just seem to generic at times which leads me to think why people don't play them as much.

It successfully (in my opinion) added a new class with its own flavor, although it had to lose some over the years.. mainly being able to tank somewhat in all 3 specs. So yes, a successful class, that fit with the theme of the expansion that it was introduced in.

In terms of balance, I believe the majority of players don't really care if more classes bring several balance issues. They just want something more to play with.

Sure it was. I'm still upset that they changed the rune system from Wrath to Cataclysm, especially the way they recharge. It was a lot more fast paced and fun the other way, and they didn't ever give a good reason for the change. But still, it's a fun class. I never thought they hurt the game at all. Every class is overpowered at some point. They weren't any more game breaking in Wrath than any other class has been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Great class fun to play with, interesting lore. But to me personally I still feel like they are the black sheep in the class or the kid who got held back a year. Monks to me seems like the new foreign exchange student. Idk if any new class will feel like they mesh with the original classes though. Could just be me being biased.

I think Blizzard defiantly took a lot from the DKs when creating the Monk class. DK was more shot in the dark where when Monks came around they had a lot of experience from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Sure it was. I'm still upset that they changed the rune system from Wrath to Cataclysm, especially the way they recharge. It was a lot more fast paced and fun the other way, and they didn't ever give a good reason for the change. But still, it's a fun class. I never thought they hurt the game at all. Every class is overpowered at some point. They weren't any more game breaking in Wrath than any other class has been.
    They did have a reason, iirc it was because they felt with the old rune system they couldnt add any more abilities to the rotation/priority system. However they have slowed the pace down so much and taken some things from both specs that made them feel unique. If they ever did a revamp of DK's I would pray for the old rune system back or at the least fix the brokenness of frost getting permanent death runes. The other two specs need to "work" for their death runes but frost is just given perma death runes as a band-aid which I was expecting to get fixed this expansion. They also dumbed down frost beyond belief and it was never a real complicated spec to play, it was just VERY fast paced. But overall like I said iirc they said its because they wanted to be able to add abilities to our rotation, and the old rune system had all the specs gcd capped at all times to the point that they felt they couldnt add any skills/spells to it. I would be fine if they actually did just that but yea as i said already theyve taken stuff out instead of adding stuff in.

On topic, no I don't think they were a success. At least post 4.0. in wotlk I would say yes, they were fun to play now they are meh.

10+ Year Old Account
    While we work well in PvE Blizz has no idea what to do with us in PvP.

At first we were the anti ret pally being so strong we were one of the few that could kill them at the time(which made for some of the longest and most epic one on one fights Ive ever had). Then after some nerfs we became the anti caster and we sat like that though wrath. The cata rolled around and we went almost full anti-healer for the duration of cata. Now we come to MoP and we have no PvP niche frost is a glass cannon and unholy isn't much better because our damage has such a long ramp up time we die before we do much of anything.

But I would be okay with all of this if they just put Shadow of Death back in the game that ability was beyond cool.

Mechanic wise? Sure.

Story wise in relation to quests.... erm. It's kinda like the wrath gate or Lady Prestor quest lines.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    While we work well in PvE Blizz has no idea what to do with us in PvP.

At first we were the anti ret pally being so strong we were one of the few that could kill them at the time(which made for some of the longest and most epic one on one fights Ive ever had). Then after some nerfs we became the anti caster and we sat like that though wrath. The cata rolled around and we went almost full anti-healer for the duration of cata. Now we come to MoP and we have no PvP niche frost is a glass cannon and unholy isn't much better because our damage has such a long ramp up time we die before we do much of anything.

But I would be okay with all of this if they just put Shadow of Death back in the game that ability was beyond cool.
    I do not like the idea of a class being "anti-something", it may be frustrating for the concerned class, even if the game's balancing works like this ...
    I personnally think that the death knights are successful simply cause it filled a niche.
    I mean, it's the only "hybrid" class, it have both melee and ranged spells which can be used according to the situation, even if it's mainly melee, death knights can avoid a lot of controls if they know how to use their anti-magic shell aswell and that's pretty interesting, they can also avoid sheeps and shits with Lichborne, in fact they have all the tools to get free from controls if you know how to use them aswell, and i like it.
    It's also the only melee with a pet, adding another dimension to the game, i think that the fact that players can choice between two very different playstyles in the same class is very cool, but that's already the case for other class, but death knights have the chance to have both specs viable in PvP.

And finally, they're no longer "THE" overpowered class, even though i agree with the fact that unholy dk (which is my favourite and main spec) shouldn't sit in blood presence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Well, I think the total idea of "Hero Class" has been completely destroyed. Orginally they were supposed to take a long time to unlock via hitting max level (80 at the time) and going through a long, arduous quest chain (at the time similar to the Warlock Epic Mount chain). Eventually that was watered down to just unlocking once you had a toon at level 55.

So that idea failed. They are balanced with all other classes. They lost quite a few unique abilities they once had.

Are they fun? Yes. Were they added to niches that already existed? Yes. Are they unique enough to identify from a distance? Perhaps (nontier gear =/).
    Realistically, the concept of Hero class was doomed to fail. How would you justify the fact that one class is just stronger that the other 9 ? The DK needs to be on par with the other class for the game to functions well.
    A Hero Class can only work, if somehow the game allows you to transition to hero classes leaving behing the normal class, kinda like hitting max level.

Lore wise? Yes. I just wish they worked another way, not runes and RP, I just can't stand playing anything outside of mana/energy system.