Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Blood]Appreciate tips for tanking bats (H Tortos)

Hi guys we were just working on H Tortos. I know it's not recommended to tank bats as blood dk, but unfortunately we have no choice since we have double dk tanks. I was wondering, just generally, is there any tips or tricks tanking this?

Personally I don't think it's tanking that really is our problem (but yea i still appreciate any tips about tanking ) Seems dps too low on bats. They started to kick ass after one stomp when shield dropped. How long do a wave of bats usually last during your kills?

Thank you very much!

Deleted
    The only thing I can suggest is chillblaines if you're not already and utilise RoF/frost trap/HC/SF etc etc before the stomp and get as much distance up as you can beforehand so you're not taking as much of a beating through the stomp.

You could also consider glyphing IBF and use that to ignore more of the stuns (if you're not desperate to use IBF at another specific point).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Damyou View Post
    The only thing I can suggest is chillblaines if you're not already and utilise RoF/frost trap/HC/SF etc etc before the stomp and get as much distance up as you can beforehand so you're not taking as much of a beating through the stomp.

You could also consider glyphing IBF and use that to ignore more of the stuns (if you're not desperate to use IBF at another specific point).
    What this guy said, + go Frost, and kite instead - then you can focus all dmg on boss

Quote Originally Posted by Damyou View Post

Hmmm stomp thing is a good point! Thanks!

---------- Post added 2013-04-27 at 11:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    What this guy said, + go Frost, and kite instead - then you can focus all dmg on boss
    Yea I thought about this. Theoretically the best choice (tankwise) for us is having our monk healer go tank kite bats, I tank boss, and the other dk tank dps (he is actually one of the top frost dks on our server). But our monk healer's tank set... a bit too low

I highly suggest just going frost, you or your other dk, and kite the bats (if your monk cannot handle kiting). It reduces the dps requirement by a lot, and reduces damage going out as well. I've done it for my guild's kills despite being the main tank for the guild. So really, regardless of how good your second DK's dps is, he is more worthwhile to have kiting the bats, or tanking the boss and you kiting the bats, once again assuming your monk cannot handle the relatively simple task of kiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravendale View Post
    I highly suggest just going frost, you or your other dk, and kite the bats (if your monk cannot handle kiting). It reduces the dps requirement by a lot, and reduces damage going out as well. I've done it for my guild's kills despite being the main tank for the guild. So really, regardless of how good your second DK's dps is, he is more worthwhile to have kiting the bats, or tanking the boss and you kiting the bats, once again assuming your monk cannot handle the relatively simple task of kiting.
    you kite as dps? How do you hold aggro?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    you kite as dps? How do you hold aggro?
    blood presence

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    blood presence
    Shout mean words at them of course!

Have your monk kite them, it's 3 buttons: Keg Smash, Ox wave and Roll.

Deleted
    have a dk kite them it's one button : howling blast (+ aoe grip).
    Am doing it every week for a month now, only downside is respec'ing out of UH just for this encounter (i need to keep blood as off spec).

Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    Yea I thought about this. Theoretically the best choice (tankwise) for us is having our monk healer go tank kite bats, I tank boss, and the other dk tank dps (he is actually one of the top frost dks on our server). But our monk healer's tank set... a bit too low
    Don't need good tank gear to kite them as a monk (as in you're splat if they catch up to you anyway)

What does dps look like this way? Like specifically the frost dk's dps compared to a traditional bat tank? And how long do bats usually survive?
    Last edited by jasonleekungfu; 2013-04-29 at 12:09 AM.

When kiting bats you ignore them, keep them slowed, and just run around the room like a headless chicken. DPS classes can use bats for excess resources (warlocks for soulshards/embers/demonic fury) etc, but otherwise all focus is on the turtles or the boss. Literally it puts all pressure on the bat kiter, hope yours can handle it.

Deleted
    we use an aoe stun just before stomp and a dedicated afffli lock for the 70% snare.
    i bring bats near the boss for some aoe dots/cleave every time i can and they usually die from both my HB spam, the lock dots and cleave/dot dmg (after moving out of boss range).
    i still have around 15+ that are following me at all times, even more for the last 20% of the boss where everyone switches to him ignoring turtles.
    i also ask for priest speed shield before/after every stomp to gain even more room
    i ask my friend dk to aoe grip when mine is on CD and after new bats came in to group them properly
    i use chillblains, glyph DnD, RE (for DC regen and getting crystal buff when i can't auto attack it while kiting)

the only issues with this tactic is that u can't mess up even once during 5/6 min, otherwise u gonna be oneshotted. it's not that easy with the rng turtles coming out of nowhere moving at lightning speed but engineering helps (glider when kb to land far from bats and rocket speed).

to be honest, after doing this for over 4 resets it's a piss in the park but i can agree that the strat depends on your raid. we only did so because one of our tank didn't manage it at first. we are basically one tanking the boss and my dps is around 250/300k from bats only, but it doesn't mean shit considering i don't even touch the boss apart from splash HB dmg.
    what is mainly helping is having extra dps on turtles/boss, i still help at start for around a min or so where i burst all i can.

Quote Originally Posted by Inambour View Post
    we use an aoe stun just before stomp and a dedicated afffli lock for the 70% snare.
    i bring bats near the boss for some aoe dots/cleave every time i can and they usually die from both my HB spam, the lock dots and cleave/dot dmg (after moving out of boss range).
    i still have around 15+ that are following me at all times, even more for the last 20% of the boss where everyone switches to him ignoring turtles.
    i also ask for priest speed shield before/after every stomp to gain even more room
    i ask my friend dk to aoe grip when mine is on CD and after new bats came in to group them properly
    i use chillblains, glyph DnD, RE (for DC regen and getting crystal buff when i can't auto attack it while kiting)

the only issues with this tactic is that u can't mess up even once during 5/6 min, otherwise u gonna be oneshotted. it's not that easy with the rng turtles coming out of nowhere moving at lightning speed but engineering helps (glider when kb to land far from bats and rocket speed).

to be honest, after doing this for over 4 resets it's a piss in the park but i can agree that the strat depends on your raid. we only did so because one of our tank didn't manage it at first. we are basically one tanking the boss and my dps is around 250/300k from bats only, but it doesn't mean shit considering i don't even touch the boss apart from splash HB dmg.
    what is mainly helping is having extra dps on turtles/boss, i still help at start for around a min or so where i burst all i can.
    Thank you very much! Yea that's what I was worrying about. Like theoretically the kiter (frost dk, monk, etc) doesn't take damage. But shit happens. That's why I was trying to choose a relatively stable strat to work on as progression. Well thank you again

We use a monk with leg sweep for each stomp if bats are still up which has worked out very well.

Deleted
    Shit happens, but after some time u'll only wipe because of fail turtle kick and not ur fault. At least that's what happens to my raid because i get a lot of help from everyone while kiting, can ask for emergency CCs when i get kb out of nowhere with bats too close and no way for me to escape.
    Don't forget crystal because with it u can mitigate rock fall + stomp dmg with some ams whenever possible to throw some more DC which yields more HB or a potential range crystal buff if u can't melee it.
    But, all in all, I think having a BM monk (just for the aoe snare + aggro in one move) makes it easier thx to roll and the range aoe stun.
    Last edited by mmoc35d3c6228f; 2013-04-29 at 08:03 AM.

So I might just be retarded when it comes to kiting the bats, but it seems that without fail one of two things happens to me every time I try to kite bats:

1. A fresh pack of turtles spawn right before I need to pass in front of the boss on my kiting path, 50% of the time this leads to me getting knocked up when they take off after a ranged target and the bat pack catches me.

2. I am at the back of the room andour prot pally, instead of one of the healers gets bat aggro and they take off for him out of range of HB and I have to cut accross my normal kiting path in an attempt to pick them up before he gets insta-gibbed. This usually ends up with me caught between two bat packs with very little room to escape.

My kiting path just been a wide circle around the outside of the room, is this wrong? Should I make my path a tighter circle and avoid the front of the room? We don't have a hunter for misdirect, but we do have a new holy pally. Should I just have the holy pally run Righteous Fury and hope the bats always come to him? I don't know, I just feel that with our setup kiting these bats is always a crap shoot as a DK. Or maybe, I am just retarded when it comes to kiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts the Black Swordsman View Post
    My kiting path just been a wide circle around the outside of the room, is this wrong? Should I make my path a tighter circle and avoid the front of the room? We don't have a hunter for misdirect, but we do have a new holy pally. Should I just have the holy pally run Righteous Fury and hope the bats always come to him? I don't know, I just feel that with our setup kiting these bats is always a crap shoot as a DK. Or maybe, I am just retarded when it comes to kiting.
    Imo it's just better to kill of the adds provided you have the appropriate tank (prot pally is good for that) and enough aoe burst and stun to kill them off at least for 10H since taking 1 player out of the fight ends up being a dps loss there (while it's a dps gain in 25H)
    Also - there are just so many things that can go wrong while kiting especially in the last few minutes with 6+ turtles cruising around and the huge number of bats causing lags.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts the Black Swordsman View Post
    So I might just be retarded when it comes to kiting the bats, but it seems that without fail one of two things happens to me every time I try to kite bats:

1. A fresh pack of turtles spawn right before I need to pass in front of the boss on my kiting path, 50% of the time this leads to me getting knocked up when they take off after a ranged target and the bat pack catches me.

2. I am at the back of the room andour prot pally, instead of one of the healers gets bat aggro and they take off for him out of range of HB and I have to cut accross my normal kiting path in an attempt to pick them up before he gets insta-gibbed. This usually ends up with me caught between two bat packs with very little room to escape.

1. If you have a slow on the bats you can alter your kite path, by either slowing down on one side, or cutting through the middle sooner rather than later.

2. This happened to me the first few attempts on this boss, I just altered my kite path so that I can cross through the middle during the time that the bats are coming down. (DND glyph can be a life saver.) The prot pally can try, but after 1 or two HBs, his healing threat shouldn't overtake yours.

Think ahead of time, watch timers for turtles, bats, and quake stomp to best position or path yourself in the next 10 or so seconds. It's only you and watching timers and bat speed.

Also, I think someone else mentioned this earlier in the thread, gorefiend's grasp is amazing for opening up kite paths. "Oh, there is a group of bats infront of me and behind me? I'll gorefiends the ones infront of me to the group behind me and... there we go. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming."